PDA

View Full Version : Nine dead in Finland school shooting

MiCkiZ88
23-09-08, 11:26
At least 9 dead, several injured :( Not so far from where I live. The shooter is being transported to a local hospital in my town atm.

'Nine dead' in Finland shooting
At least nine people have been killed and several others seriously wounded in a shooting spree at a vocational college in Finland, local reports say.

Police said the gunman, thought to be a 20-year-old student, then shot himself although his condition is now unclear.
He was carrying an automatic weapon and wearing a ski mask when he entered the college in Kauhajoki, reports said.
In 2007 eight people died in another school attack. Finland has one of the world's highest gun ownership rates.
In last year's incident, the gunman, Pekka-Eric Auvinen, posted a video on YouTube as a macabre preview of his attack, pledging to "eliminate" those he saw as "unfit".

Ski mask

Tuesday's shootings in Kauhajoki, some 330km (205 miles) north of the capital, Helsinki, began just before 1100 local time (0800 GMT).
An estimated 200 students were thought to be in the college buildings at the time.

A BBC correspondent in Finland said a gunman dressed in black was seen at the school, apparently carrying an automatic weapon.

A man with a ski mask was seen entering the building with a large bag, national broadcaster YLE reported. Shots were fired soon afterwards, and reports emerged that several people were seriously wounded.
At least one injured girl was seen leaving the school covered in blood, our correspondent says, while police said some of the injured were taken away from the scene and treated nearby.
Police ordered an evacuation and called for reinforcements, as local reports said the country's heavy weapons squad was heading to Kauhajoki.
The gunman remained at large within the college grounds for some time before police apparently restrained and disarmed him.
"I just heard from the police radio that the shooter has been caught. He no longer has a gun," a police spokesman told the AFP news agency.
But hospital sources and the mayor of the town were later quoted as saying the attacker had turned his gun on himself. There was no confirmation of his condition.

In the wake of the 2007 attack, Finland's government pledged to raise the minimum age for buying guns after Auvinen's attack. But the country has a long tradition of hunting and weapons-bearing, with about 1.6 million firearms in private hands, the Associated Press reports.
Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7630969.stm)

Edit: He left a message on a local website that there's going to be a massacre.

Edit: The gunman has died after shooting himself in the head and there are a total of 11 dead and 3 injured.

Quasimodo
23-09-08, 11:30
How awful :(

From the last two sentences it seems like the author is trying to make this into a gun issue more than a mental health issue.

MiCkiZ88
23-09-08, 11:33
How awful :(

From the last two sentences it seems like the author is trying to make this into a gun issue more than a mental health issue.My thoughts as well. I think he was trying to copycat the school massacre last year. There even was a fake bomb threat at my school and it got evacuated. Turned out it was just a cruel joke: ''there will be bodies after noon''.

We do have guns here, though mostly just hunters own them and only very few for self protection. I thought the laws were more strickter here though!

The school building is on fire and there might be a bomb in there according to the police.

EgyptianSoul
23-09-08, 11:47
So horrible to hear that. :( Not even schools are safe.

Sifo-Dyas
23-09-08, 11:58
This is so unreal. I wonder when all this senseless violence is gonna stop! It seems like it's only gonna get worse. I wish we knew how someone becomes so evil ... what drove him to do this thing?

Alex Fly
23-09-08, 11:59
OMG this is so horrible... Where does the world go ? :(

MiCkiZ88
23-09-08, 12:00
I wonder when the first Max Payne comments will be heard.. there's been youtube videos of the shooter wearing similar clothes to the game character and firing a gun, so you can only guess where that will lead the press..

Sedge
23-09-08, 12:03
Two actual school shootings in a year in a supposedly safe country such as Finland..

Sigh. :(

I wonder if the false bomb alarms etc. will continue after this again like they did after Jokela.

patriots88888
23-09-08, 12:05
How utterly horrible. :(

There seems to be a connection between younger, emotionally unstable people and the rash of school killings as of late. Sorry to generalize like that but I feel that younger people, especially teens, seem to have a tougher time handling life's problems and as a result, these horrible things happen. :(

Goose
23-09-08, 12:16
How utterly horrible. :(

There seems to be a connection between younger, emotionally unstable people and the rash of school killings as of late. Sorry to generalize like that but I feel that younger people, especially teens, seem to have a tougher time handling life's problems and as a result, these horrible things happen. :(

Yea, i looked it up on youtube and this guy was pretty insane, he hated everything and thought he was better then everyone.

Nefertiti_89
23-09-08, 12:21
Gosh thats shocking! :(

What on earth has changed in the last 50years that people now see the need to shoot up schools???

Truly tragic, RIP to the vics.

MiCkiZ88
23-09-08, 12:21
Okay the police here officially sucks. They had seen the video and they thought they shouldn't take away his gun. They couldnt reach him last friday and yesterday they gave up on trying to reach him.. =/

disneyprincess20
23-09-08, 12:29
That's so awful, I can't believe the police left it like that... Scary.

Reggie
23-09-08, 13:43
What makes human beings kill other human beings? other kinds of animals rarely seem to do this to each other -yes, there are exceptions (e.g. for survival) but in the case of humans, some of us seem to do out of some kind of sadistic pleasure derived from the circumstances we've been placed in. Scary stuff.

Nemo_91
23-09-08, 13:50
I've just read this...Awful :(

Encore
23-09-08, 13:56
Some animals kill each other basically to claim the territory as theirs. Like the lions that kill all the cubs in order to have no threats posed to them in the future. Sure, ultimately they do it in order to survive in the future but it doesn't make it any less brutal. The diference is that animals have no morality, no sense of right and wrong, the "right" is what improves their chances of survival. In an expanded scale, men killing each other in wars is a bit of an "upgrade" of that situation, but because we HAVE morality AND the means to coexist peacefully (our reason), we should know better than to concede to tribalistic/animal basic needs.
Our history is basically one big struggle between our two "sides", really.

I don't think these ramblings apply to cases like this one though. The guy obviously was mentally ill. When the shooter kills himself in the end, there's not much to it, it's got to be that he reached the ultimate point of desperation and mixed it with an extreme (immoral) sense of frustration with the people around him.

Okay the police here officially sucks. They had seen the video and they thought they shouldn't take away his gun. They couldnt reach him last friday and yesterday they gave up on trying to reach him.. =/

It's not the first time that happens though. I think it was in Japan, that a man made repeated threats over the internet that he was going to kill people and no one did anything about it, and he eventually stabbed a bunch of innocent bypassers on the street, out of the blue.

Seems to me that no one takes internet threats as seriously as they should. :/

Reggie
23-09-08, 14:03
Some animals kill each other basically to claim the territory as theirs. Like the lions that kill all the cubs in order to have no threats posed to them in the future. Sure, ultimately they do it in order to survive in the future but it doesn't make it any less brutal. The diference is that animals have no morality, no sense of right and wrong, the "right" is what improves their chances of survival. In an expanded scale, men killing each other in wars is a bit of an "upgrade" of that situation, but because we HAVE morality AND the means to coexist peacefully (our reason), we should know better than to concede to tribalistic/animal basic needs.
Our history is basically one big struggle between our two "sides", really.

I don't think these ramblings apply to cases like this one though. The guy obviously was mentally ill. When the shooter kills himself in the end, there's not much to it, it's got to be that he reached the ultimate point of desperation and mixed it with an extreme (immoral) sense of frustration with the people around him.

All very good points but like you've already pointed out yourself, as much as it is a balance of ones character between right and wrong, it is also up to society to make an environment that is conducive to doing the right thing. If this person and their threats were being ignored and likely their mental health as well, then perhaps there's also a fault with the people around that person. Of course the legal system won't account for that kind of thing but its important to consider that kind of social responsibility.

_ush2_
23-09-08, 14:04
oh my god thats soo sad!:( i hope they wernent little kids!:(:(

MrBear
23-09-08, 14:05
No, no, no, no, no... I was praying it wouldn't happen to Finland so soon again :(

What makes human beings kill other human beings? other kinds of animals rarely seem to do this to each other -yes, there are exceptions (e.g. for survival) but in the case of humans, some of us seem to do out of some kind of sadistic pleasure derived from the circumstances we've been placed in. Scary stuff.

As much as one wants to apply logic to these tragic events, it's as futile as trying to find reason in the cases where a person thinks he's a bicycle.. It would probably make it easier for us to truly understand what happened, but I don't think you'll find any reason in what he did.. I personally don't think that he even knew it himself, or at least fully realised it.. I don't want to make a 'guns are bad' topic out of this, but just imagine we didn't have guns; would he have done the same thing with a spear? I fear the abstract hurting of a firearm in combination with a mentally sick person is the closest thing you'll get to a logic explanation..

Yuna´s Wish
23-09-08, 14:31
I´ve read it, the news reached these shores too :( It´s really something to fear. The fact that anyone can do this and end with your life, just like that. It really makes you feel you´re never safe, not even in school.

NemesisxAngelus
23-09-08, 14:44
Not again....

I just read the deathcount is up to 11 now and the shooter died in the hospital of his injuries.

May all of them rest in peace.

MiCkiZ88
23-09-08, 14:49
It's not the first time that happens though. I think it was in Japan, that a man made repeated threats over the internet that he was going to kill people and no one did anything about it, and he eventually stabbed a bunch of innocent bypassers on the street, out of the blue.

Seems to me that no one takes internet threats as seriously as they should. :/The police had interviewed him yesterday, but the chief officer thought it wouldn't do no harm to let him keep his gun and gun licence =/ The police saw the videos of the guy shooting last friday, and from then they tried to contact him. Got contact yesterday.. yet they didn't do anything. The chief officer must be feeling rather proud right now.

Edit: 10th victim just died in the hospital. The shooter

Double edit: 11th victim died.

rowanlim
23-09-08, 15:33
That's horrible. Sometimes the human mind baffles me :(

NemesisxAngelus
23-09-08, 15:37
Someone I know found this in a Google search.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:t-ttLB2oQLwJ:treffit.suomi24.fi/index.jsp%3Flayout%3Ddefault%26object%3DshowProfil e%26id%3D639367+wumpscut86&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=14&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

Could maybe someone translate it? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

MiCkiZ88
23-09-08, 15:42
Someone I know found this in a Google search.

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:t-ttLB2oQLwJ:treffit.suomi24.fi/index.jsp%3Flayout%3Ddefault%26object%3DshowProfil e%26id%3D639367+wumpscut86&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=14&gl=us&ie=UTF-8

Could maybe someone translate it? It would be greatly appreciated. :)Sure:

Height: 172cm
Weight: 70kg
Eyes: blue
Hair: brown
etc..

Hobbies: Shooting (walther p22 target <3), computer and drums
Music: Mostly listen to heavier stuff, but all goes
Movies: Horror horror
Dressing: I dont follow fashion
Lives: Alone
Pet: Cat

Desired companion:

Woman and then the details..

Edit: The profile has been deleted.. hah...

petujaymz
23-09-08, 15:43
I just knew a thread about this would pop up somewhere...

Apparently, the gunman was interviewed by police about that video he posted on youtube less than a week before the shooting.

:wve:

MiCkiZ88
23-09-08, 15:45
The gunman was interviewed yesterday, and the chief officer didn't see fit to remove his licence nor gun.

MrBear
23-09-08, 15:46
Imagine what he must feel like now, the chief officer :-/ he'll have to live with that for the rest of his life..

TRhalloween
23-09-08, 15:50
This is terrible :(

The writer seems to be focusing too much on guns rather than the person themselves.
Guns don't necisarrily make you a bad person.

rickybazire
23-09-08, 15:55
Oh dear! That's really sad. My condolences to the victim's families.

TR93
23-09-08, 18:40
:( this is just so aweful:(

I can't believe things like this can happen:(

Lara Croft!
23-09-08, 19:04
Another Columbine, huh? Where is humanity going if young people pick guns and shoot at other children?

Sir Croft
23-09-08, 19:53
Reminded me of Colombine. Well, that's quite sad.

EmeraldFields
23-09-08, 20:02
That's horrible.:(

My love goes out to the families hurt.:hug:

Afonya
23-09-08, 20:06
I just LOVE to live in Finland! :tmb: :hea:
No, really, WHAT is happening to the world??? Or people anyway? That's what I've been thinking of recently...

Earthcane
23-09-08, 22:24
Wow, shocking stuff. :(:(

What's most disturbing is the fact that someone would actual take lives in such a violent and final way.

My thoughts are with the families of those nine who were taken. :hug:

Feather Duster
23-09-08, 23:06
What I don't ****ing get is

Why take other innocent people's lives, then kill yourself?

Why can't you just kill yourself to begin with? What/ He didn't wanna go alone?

This is sickening. Poeple need to get some common sense.

Tomb Raider Master
23-09-08, 23:45
I heard on the news today. I can't believe it...

SpongeBob Lover
24-09-08, 00:21
:( i feel so sorry with the family dealing with the loss of a loved one, as if now, when i go to some college or hope to go to a university, that will be my biggest fear!

ajrich17901
24-09-08, 01:01
Honestly this isnt surprising anymore, its gonna get to the point where everyone will be doin online school. Nowhere is safe anymore.

Encore
24-09-08, 01:06

So, let me get this straight....

Common sense is killing only yourself?

You see nothing wrong there?

Afonya
24-09-08, 03:10

Killer said in the letter that he hates humanity and people. Just like that Jokela shooter thought. That's why he did it, and he knew also that this incident is going to be a big thing. He was in very bad situation. And he was a sick person. I hope it won't go to that point that every year happens a school shootings... :(

Feather Duster
24-09-08, 06:01
So, let me get this straight....

Common sense is killing only yourself?

You see nothing wrong there?

Well, in some extreme cases, if you wish to commit suicide, why take others with you? Surely, you should get help first, but if that fails & they choose the easy way out, as they call it, just take yourself.

And no, i don't see anything wrong there. What? My friend really wants to die, so I should die with her?

KurtisLonely
24-09-08, 11:10
heard it on the news today as well... ugh.. reminds me of alot of stuff overhere... same things happen here as well... it happens all over the world, unfortunately.. =[

I feel really sorry for the victims and their families.. =[

and to the posts above;
it's not okay to commit suicide, but I do agree with Feather Duster... if you want to commit suicide, then just take yourself, it's useless to take innocents with you! >_<