PDA

View Full Version : Disc Defragmenting Question

Ivan92
25-09-08, 12:24
I just started disc defragmenting and its past 5 hours and it isn't finished yet, Is this some kind of a error or I just have to wait longer? it never lasted 5 hours.

spikejones
25-09-08, 13:04
how big is your drive... and how full is it?

Ivan92
25-09-08, 14:56
its 300GB Big and it is 158GB Used is it beacuse I have big Hdd space that is taking so long?

TRF
25-09-08, 15:34
Then you can expect it to be long....
300GB is alot of space...

EscondeR
25-09-08, 20:32
Well... If you're using standard Windows Defragmenter, then expect the long run.
For better performance:
1. Run disk check - Scandisk (right click the disk in Windows Explorer > Settings > Service tab > Disk Check, set to auto correct all errors (you may need to reboot)).

2. Use some decent defragmentation program, e.g. Diskeeper or Perfect Disk. It'll do it smart and fast :)

DiskeeperRep
26-09-08, 19:37
I just started disc defragmenting and its past 5 hours and it isn't finished yet, Is this some kind of a error or I just have to wait longer? it never lasted 5 hours.

It's difficult to predict the time for a defragmentation run to complete since it depends on a number of factors such as
-the number of fragments
-number of fragmented files
-free space fragmentation,
-available system resources and disk activity
- the quality (i.e. thoroughness)of a defrag
- the defragmenter's operational algorithms etc.

It can range anywhere from a few minutes for very light fragmentation to many hours for heavy fragmentation.

Best regards
---------------------------------
Representative
Diskeeper Corporation
---------------------------------

jamieoliver22
26-09-08, 20:15
I suggest you use Defraggler (http://www.defraggler.com/download) to defrag your hard drive, it is faster, more efficient and more lightweight than the default Windows Defragmenter.