PDA

View Full Version : ps3 help with online connection

sadgirl
25-09-08, 19:47
hi i just brought a ps3 today and i cant get the internet to work, i have a wireless connection and eveytime i try to set up i get this message (The attempt to obtain an IP address has timed out). Can anyone help ??

Legend of Lara
25-09-08, 19:49
Do you have a router? If so, did you put in the WEP key?

sadgirl
25-09-08, 19:55
hey Legend of lara , not that good with computers but i have a wireless router and whats a wep key. thanx for your help

Legend of Lara
25-09-08, 20:00
hey Legend of lara , not that good with computers but i have a wireless router and whats a wep key. thanx for your help

The WEP key is a series of numbers and letters on the bottom of the router. :)

dox online
25-09-08, 20:04
It is sort of like a key to the router that stops just anyone from using it!

sadgirl
25-09-08, 20:10
The WEP key is a series of numbers and letters on the bottom of the router :o im so stupid, i put in all the codes and my signal strength is 100%. Just at the end when it says test connection the error comes up.

Maddiegirl
25-09-08, 21:38
The wep key is not on the bottom of the router. That's the Mac address.

Is your wireless connection protected? When you logged on the first time with a laptop, did you have to enter a series of numbers and letters? 26 of them if it's 128 bit strength.

What wireless router do you have? If it is a newer linksys, it may have set up the wep without your help all on it's own. You'll have to log into the router itself to get the key, then you'll need to enter that 26 character hex key into the ps3 for a secure connection.

If you don't care about a secure connection, remove the security off the router itself...the ps3 would connect fine. I don't recommened it - because then your neighbors can help themselves to your connection, and therefore your pc.

Legend of Lara
25-09-08, 21:40
The wep key is not on the bottom of the router. That's the Mac address.

It is on mine. Differences between models maybe?

sadgirl
25-09-08, 22:03
its a netgear router, my friend setup my laptop so im not sure how she did it thanx for trying everyone.

Maddiegirl
26-09-08, 13:23
It is on mine. Differences between models maybe?

That should be totally customizable with the router itself. Very strange. I've never have seen that and I work in IT.