PDA

View Full Version : Creating a "shopping cart" for my web design class

Melonie Tomb Raider
01-10-08, 19:11
Ok guys, I'm stoked to say that after this Sunday, I will officially have graduated and have my Associate's degree. :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

But before I celebrate, I need help. :p For my project, I'm supposed to make an ecommerce website, somethink fake of course, but this is the tricky part. Here are some requirements for the final:

The site should include a minimum of an initial home page; a products page including product descriptions and prices, and a means of selecting products to order; a transaction page indicating the product, quantity, price, shipping method, payment method, etc.; and an order confirmation page that includes an order confirmation number and order summary.

I really have no idea how to make the shopping cart with all of that order confirmation and stuff, and frankly, I was never even taught how! :mad: So if anyone could help me, or direct me to a tutorial that teaches these things, I'd be more than happy. I have to complete this before Sunday.

Thanks, darlings. :hug:

spikejones
02-10-08, 06:24
easy and cheap way to do it so you dont have to worry about having your own secure server (for credit card purchases) is to use paypal account (https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_additional-payment-overview-outside). Pay pal will take care of all of that for you.

of course.. there are other alternatives to that as well, but if you are allowed to use pay pal, id say go for it.

you can also use Google Checkout (https://checkout.google.com/seller/experience.html)

Otherwise, you are stuck with setting up a php/mysql system to keep all the stuff in the database, as well as write scripts to email a confirmation number to the customer. There's probably already stuff like that you can get for free though. Also keep in mind that some CMS (content management systems), like Drupal, are free to install on your server. But it all depends on the support which is provided by the server you are using. I think though that if they did not teach anything on php and mysql, your best bet is to use one of the shopping cart services above.

aktrekker
02-10-08, 07:02
An early common way was to put the items ordered into cookies. No database required.

Melonie Tomb Raider
02-10-08, 13:37
I'm just using a free server, 110mb.com, so I'm sure my options are very limited.

Thanks, guys. I'll try google checkout. If not, I'm going to have to figure something out, I'll be sure to contact you, Spike, if I need more help.

Thanks again. :hug: