PDA

View Full Version : PS3 backwards compatiblity in the future?

toxicraider
03-10-08, 19:18
huh? look at this
http://www.gamersplatform.com/2008/10/03/ps2-emulator-downloadable-for-the-ps3/

this is really peculiar, what do people think? i hope it's true but will take it with a pinch of salt.

LaraCroft90
03-10-08, 19:20
huh? look at this
http://www.gamersplatform.com/2008/10/03/ps2-emulator-downloadable-for-the-ps3/

this is really peculiar, what do people think? i hope it's true but will take it with a pinch of salt.

Sony made a PS2 emulator? They did the impossible. :p

Ward Dragon
03-10-08, 19:48
I heard rumors about this awhile ago, that there would be a downloadable update for the non-BC 40GB PS3's which would allow them to play PS2 games downloaded from PSN. It seemed silly to me since someone would have to pay again for PS2 games they already own, not to mention having to delete something that was paid for if the harddrive runs out of room.

Larson_1988
03-10-08, 19:53
This is exactly why i dislike Sony! Making it backwardscompatible for downloaded PS2 games from PSN and not be able to play the PS2 games one already have!

Blah, i hate Sony.

toxicraider
04-10-08, 10:48
Are you sure it's just for downloads? surely theres no difference as they are the same files :confused:

oocladableeblah
04-10-08, 16:57
The 80gb does play ps2 games just fine. I have only had a couple incidents where they don't work, but those were fixed and now the ps2 games work.

corey01
04-10-08, 17:52
The 80gb does play ps2 games just fine. I have only had a couple incidents where they don't work, but those were fixed and now the ps2 games work.

my ps3 80 GB says in all the manuels not to play ps2 games on the console because they simply wont play?

TombRaiderLover
04-10-08, 18:19
my ps3 80 GB says in all the manuels not to play ps2 games on the console because they simply wont play?

oocladableeblah must have an old 80 GB model. ;)

Neteru
04-10-08, 18:30
I'll believe it when I actually see it available for download. Till then, I won't buy a PS3.

toxicraider
04-10-08, 18:59
I'll believe it when I actually see it available for download. Till then, I won't buy a PS3.

really? you will only buy one if it plays ps2 games?

Neteru
04-10-08, 19:03
Yes.

ben croft
04-10-08, 19:21
Looking good. Hope it becomes true.

:wve:

AmericanAssassin
04-10-08, 20:10
I've never had any problems playing PS1 or PS2 games. Everything I own works on my PS3. :confused:

Zebra
04-10-08, 20:11

But you will have to buy one to see it available for download :p.

oocladableeblah
04-10-08, 20:24

oocladableeblah must have an old 80 GB model. ;)

I got the motorstorm 80gb pack. I thought they were gonna keep that ps3 then replace the 40gb with an 80gb and same features. So there would be two 80gb one with back compat and one without. idk they change the ps3s every 5 seconds it is hard to keep up.

Neteru
04-10-08, 20:32
But you will have to buy one to see it available for download :p.Of course I won't. Such news would be detailed on the internet.

toxicraider
04-10-08, 21:37
^ very true

I got the motorstorm 80gb pack. I thought they were gonna keep that ps3 then replace the 40gb with an 80gb and same features. So there would be two 80gb one with back compat and one without. idk they change the ps3s every 5 seconds it is hard to keep up.

I agree, let's see
2 types of 80 gig, a 20, a 40, 2 types of 60, and now theres a 160gig on amazon in a bundle, absolutely amazing

still i hope this is going to be true, i read about downloading ps2 games, surely being able to play from disk will not be different from playing the file? my ps3 still recognises the disk as a ps2 game, it just tells me it can't play it :)

Tomb_of_Darkns
04-10-08, 21:40
i can play ps2 games on my ps3 easily except for sometimes a slight jet lag :)

Rivendell
04-10-08, 21:53
really? you will only buy one if it plays ps2 games?

Yes.

Seek ye out the 60gb Pal PS3, works like a charm. :)

Neteru
04-10-08, 22:01
Seek ye out the 60gb Pal PS3, works like a charm. :)I have been. And I don't fancy the exorbitant prices that are sometimes being asked - purely by virtue of the fact that they are no longer made.

toxicraider
04-10-08, 22:03
Seek ye out the 60gb Pal PS3, works like a charm. :)

Hmm, unless i'm mistaken the pal 60 gigs weren't entirely compatible, the ntsc 60's had all the components

and yes they are very dear.

Rivendell
04-10-08, 22:15
Hmm, unless i'm mistaken the pal 60 gigs weren't entirely compatible

Well I always thought it was the 40gb'ers that were back-compatible, but it turns out it's the 60gb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations)'ers that are instead, which was a pleasant surprise to me because it meant I had an extra 20gb on my PS3 that I didn't think I had. :D

toxicraider
04-10-08, 22:50
Well I always thought it was the 40gb'ers that were back-compatible, but it turns out it's the 60gb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations)'ers that are instead, which was a pleasant surprise to me because it meant I had an extra 20gb on my PS3 that I didn't think I had. :D

:ton: well they are all backwards compatible except the 40 and new 80 gigs but only the ntsc 60s have all the ps2 hardware..
lucky you :p

calico25
05-10-08, 09:36
this is why I love my launch day 20 gig PS3 which is now updated to 320 gigs and is also rigged with a wireless broadband connection...and I can still play some of my ps2 favs with no problems.

paulwork
05-10-08, 13:04
This has to be my no.1 pet hate about the PS3. I would have bought a PS3 anyway, but it is soooo frustrating to unplug the PS3 cables, only to plug in a PS2 console every time I want to re-play TRA.

The PS2 console won't be around forever, and so then what are we 40GB PS3 console owners without internet supposed to do then?

Cochrane
05-10-08, 13:13
I'm getting confused. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the first generation PS3s had a PS2 slimline chipset built in for backwards compatibility. Later versions had (limited) backwards compatibility thanks to software emulation. And now software emulation is a great new feature? What did I miss?

Neteru
05-10-08, 15:34
Because later still versions have no backward compatibility at all.

toxicraider
05-10-08, 17:47
I'm getting confused. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the first generation PS3s had a PS2 slimline chipset built in for backwards compatibility. Later versions had (limited) backwards compatibility thanks to software emulation. And now software emulation is a great new feature? What did I miss?

Hmm ok...

the first version, the ntsc 60 gig had all the ps2 hardware inside. the emotion engine (the cpu) and the graphics synthesizer (the gpu/graphics card)

the later versions, the pal 60 gig, the old 80 gig and the 20 gig (i'm not that sure about these because the UK has only seen 2 models) worked on software emulation, except the models still contain the ps2's graphics processor. It was never 100% compatible, unlike the first model.

The Emotion Engine will instead be handled in what they call, a new combination of hardware and software emulation which will enable PS3 to be compatible with a broad range of original PlayStation (PS) titles and a limited range of PlayStation2 (PS2) titles.

the 40 gig and new 80 and 160 gigs lack the graphics synthesizer, therefore they have 0 ps2 components and would have to entirely emulate ps2 games, which isn't easy at all, and that is what this is rumoured about.

Of course i'm not sure how xbox emulation on 360's works, considering the xbox was more powerful than the ps2 but then i think the ps2 always had difficult architecture.

I hope that helped :)

Ward Dragon
05-10-08, 21:11
Of course i'm not sure how xbox emulation on 360's works, considering the xbox was more powerful than the ps2 but then i think the ps2 always had difficult architecture.

Windows has built-in emulators for previous operating systems (the DOS shell, or having compatibility modes for Windows 95, 98, etc.) so Microsoft probably has a lot more practice at emulating older software than Sony does (if I'm not mistaken, the PS2 has a PS1 chip inside which handles BC, right? So Sony didn't have to write a PS1 emulator for the PS2). I suspect that the Xbox/Xbox 360 operating system is not very different from Windows, so I'm not surprised that it behaves in a similar way (some old games working on the 360, while others have glitches and some don't run at all).

Cochrane
05-10-08, 21:23
OK, that explains it, thank you all!

Windows has built-in emulators for previous operating systems (the DOS shell, or having compatibility modes for Windows 95, 98, etc.) so Microsoft probably has a lot more practice at emulating older software than Sony does (if I'm not mistaken, the PS2 has a PS1 chip inside which handles BC, right? So Sony didn't have to write a PS1 emulator for the PS2). I suspect that the Xbox/Xbox 360 operating system is not very different from Windows, so I'm not surprised that it behaves in a similar way (some old games working on the 360, while others have glitches and some don't run at all).

Actually, emulating the Xbox on the 360 is a similar challenge as emulating the PS2. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 use PowerPC CPUs (PS3 in the odd Cell version, but for the moment that does not matter), while the Xbox used an Intel x86 CPU, and the PS2 something weird derived from a MIPS design. So either will have to completely emulate a different CPU.

Microsoft already has experience with this emulation, though: They bought Connectix, a company that made software that allows you to run Windows (Intel-based) on the old PowerPC Macs. Sony could not buy anyone with the necessary experience, though, since there is no-one, thanks to both the PS2 and PS3 being rather weird, architecturally.

OS compatibility is important, but it's only the smallest part of the picture here. By the way, Nintendo used PowerPC both for the Gamecube and for the Wii, so they don't have this CPU type problem at all.

Maddiegirl
06-10-08, 13:53
While I hope, I'm not holding my breath.

interstellardave
06-10-08, 14:25
It will be just as 360 emulation is... many games will work; some, perhaps many, won't. I don't know why people don't just move on to playing new games, though. And the old systems are so cheap now that there's no benefit to selling/trading in your old systems anyway--so keep 'em and play those game on it. If you already got rid of your old system--or didn't have one in the first place--you can also buy one really, really, cheap--if you must. I say move on and play 360/PS3 games though. I don't think you'll regret it.

Agent 47
06-10-08, 14:33
It will be just as 360 emulation is... many games will work; some, perhaps many, won't. I don't know why people don't just move on to playing new games, though. And the old systems are so cheap now that there's no benefit to selling/trading in your old systems anyway--so keep 'em and play those game on it. If you already got rid of your old system--or didn't have one in the first place--you can also buy one really, really, cheap--if you must. I say move on and play 360/PS3 games though. I don't think you'll regret it.

sadly most folks don't think the way you do and as such they find everything and anything to complain about :D

toxicraider
06-10-08, 17:28

Yeah but at least some emulation is a good thing. I have a ps2 in perfect condition, i just would like it if it's free :)

Neteru
06-10-08, 17:46
It will be just as 360 emulation is... many games will work; some, perhaps many, won't. I don't know why people don't just move on to playing new games, though. And the old systems are so cheap now that there's no benefit to selling/trading in your old systems anyway--so keep 'em and play those game on it. If you already got rid of your old system--or didn't have one in the first place--you can also buy one really, really, cheap--if you must. I say move on and play 360/PS3 games though. I don't think you'll regret it.For myself it's not just about considering the games. I want to consider having one unit instead of three. Those things I want are:

Blu-ray
PS2 games
SACD.

I could have all these now, if I were to buy three separate units. I'd rather have them in one. It's one socket and much less space to take up.

interstellardave
06-10-08, 18:43
Fair enough, Net...

It is a little nuts with all the different models they've put out. They should just release one that does it all and call that their "high end unit" and be done with it. Like MS has with it's high end system (I forget what they call it ATM).