PDA

View Full Version : How do I shut down a Hotmail account?

Fish.
05-10-08, 08:31
Argh, I can't stand the massive amounts of spam I'm getting in my Hotmail account! I want to just shut it down, but I have no idea how. Can someone please help me?

Thanks. :D :hug:

demonslayer
05-10-08, 09:38
Right okay basically:

Sign into the account and when signed in click 'Options'.

There will be a heading: 'Manage Your Account'.
Click the first link which reads: 'View and edit your personal information'

You will be navigated to a new page.
On the left of the page there will be several options.
Click the second one which reads 'Options'

On the new page you will need to go to the bottom where it reads: 'Additional Options' and click the ink which reads: 'Close Account'

You will then get a confirmation page which basically tells you that you are closing the account and it will no longer be able to be used.
Enter your password in the box provided and click 'Yes'

Thats it all done!

If you run into any problems let me know :)

Fish.
05-10-08, 10:54
Thanks a lot! :hug:

TRfan23
05-10-08, 20:22
Blimey, I thought you couldn't cancel any of your e-mail accounts. Wow!

But if you do cancel an account and you have that e-mail for some websites, like this one. What would happen to your account on here?

Cochrane
05-10-08, 21:26
Blimey, I thought you couldn't cancel any of your e-mail accounts. Wow!

But if you do cancel an account and you have that e-mail for some websites, like this one. What would happen to your account on here?

At first nothing at all. They can't go test whether all e-mail accounts still work, after all. However, you won't get any e-mails sent by the system, which in particular means that if you forgot your password, you'd be in very, very deep trouble.

spikejones
06-10-08, 00:13
hmm... i just say stop using it. no real need to shut it down to be honest.

as an FYI for you:
keep two email accounts open. 1 from your ISP, use this one for business and family members. 1 free one with gmail or yahoo etc.., use this one for registering at websites etc.. That way your everyday email address wont get spammed as a result of entering your email address for stuff.

also check your spam filters and add the domains for every spam message you get (this will block not only that address, but every address at that domain.) You may even (depending on your provider) be able to set specific rules to allow only certain domains/addresses through.

Fish.
06-10-08, 03:52
hmm... i just say stop using it. no real need to shut it down to be honest.

as an FYI for you:
keep two email accounts open. 1 from your ISP, use this one for business and family members. 1 free one with gmail or yahoo etc.., use this one for registering at websites etc.. That way your everyday email address wont get spammed as a result of entering your email address for stuff.

also check your spam filters and add the domains for every spam message you get (this will block not only that address, but every address at that domain.) You may even (depending on your provider) be able to set specific rules to allow only certain domains/addresses through.
I already have another email account, i was just asking because I hate spam, and I don't even know how they're getting past my spam filter.

aktrekker
06-10-08, 05:58
In my experience, not many get past the Yahoo filter.

spikejones
06-10-08, 08:39
i have right now about 2000 spam messages in my yahoo inbox. but i dont ever check it. ;)

Fish.
06-10-08, 08:54
That's part of the reason I left Yahoo. ;)

jamieoliver22
06-10-08, 14:31
If you do want a good free email account, I would suggest Gmail (http://mail.google.com/). True, you still get spam (which you can't ever completely avoid) but it has a great filtering system meaning that you never get any of that in your inbox. It all gets put into a 'spam folder', and it isn't that hard to click the 'Delete all spam' button every once in a while, which gets deleted automatically after 30 days or so anyway.

And as spike jones says, the best way is to use your main ISP email address for business, close friends and family, and then use a free 'throw-a-way' account for signing up for websites and such. I do this myself, works fine for me. I also have an additional email account from my ISP just for banking and onine transfers.