PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished Lost Odyssey

Dia2blo
05-10-08, 15:03
All i wanted to say... WOW!!
Everything about this game- story, music, graphics an god! The ending!!!
Did anyone else love this game as much as me?? (and i didnt even like tun based rpgs much before!!)

jackali
05-10-08, 17:45
I loved it! It had a good storyline which, while sometimes obvious, was very engaging.

Fun game. :)

Minty Mouth
05-10-08, 17:54
Gahhh! My one regret about not having a 360 was not being able to play this game!

Why must you taunt me so!?

Endow
05-10-08, 17:59

Forwen
05-10-08, 20:41
I wasn't impressed.

And don't even talk to me about CASUALTIES. It always happens to me.

Dia2blo
06-10-08, 17:00
How can you not be impressed? It's so damned good! I got so attached to the characters that by the end i almost cried!!!

Forwen
06-10-08, 21:04
I don't intend to say it was a bad game, but definitely not a system seller it'd been lauded as either - overall I'd give it a score somewhere between 7 and 7.5 (7 being the essence of a good game, but nothing more), and not even due to supposedly outdated battle system. It's OK if you're into it, and after FFX I was a sucker for turn-based battle systems, so that's not the chief problem - the chief problem is that it's so frustratingly double-edged, that I can't simply continue onto my customary whining because for every annoyance, be in the plot or the system, there's a good thing to counter it.

I'd get into the detail but as this laptop is breathing its last it's become vehemently opposed to any attempts at typing :(

TRfan23
06-10-08, 21:15
I've always wanted this game full. Seeing as I only got the demos and they're either timed, or limits how many times you can die. Then that's it, you start the whole game over again!

Oh and I'm on about PS1 version ;)

*laralover*
07-10-08, 01:25
My bf has it on his 360 and its excellent. Reminded me of FFX a bit but much more fun. Great story too definatly a few moments made me cry.

erosan
07-10-08, 06:42
Lost Odyssey is one of my favorite games so far, i LOVED it. Hopefully we'll see a sequal soon....

TRfan23
07-10-08, 10:41
Ok :o

I got mixed up with this (http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/lostodyssey/index.html?tag=result;title;0) to this (http://uk.gamespot.com/ps/action/oddworldabesoddysee/index.html?tag=result;title;1) :vlol:

Wrong game, nope never heard or played this Lost Odyssey... :o

Tomb Raider Jay
07-10-08, 11:11
I liked the story alot but the game felt kinda flat to me... don't know why really :confused:

I'd buy the sequel though, I heard it's being developed atm :jmp:

Dia2blo
07-10-08, 15:46
I liked the story alot but the game felt kinda flat to me... don't know why really :confused:

I'd buy the sequel though, I heard it's being developed atm :jmp:

How would they make a sequel? Not to spoil the ending, but that wouldn't make sense :S

Endow
07-10-08, 17:19

Forwen
07-10-08, 18:07
Hey, can anyone answer my question? Diablo? Is this typical FF gameplay or what?

Kinda sorta very FF(X) like. Them party travel around the world, there's the 1000 years number, the protagonist is a shameless Gary Stu, there's the magic/technology merge and clash, the battle system is a shameless copy (albeit not as balanced and more grinding-prone, and no overdrives [I think] or summons). Skill System is based on, well, skills, FFIX like.

And you save the world from a cackling power-obsessed plonker flying about in a big phallic... thing (which is a change from big proto-amphibian thing flying about I guess) by chasing him on your airship, or something.

Oh and it's not as good.

Dia2blo
07-10-08, 18:09
Kinda sorta very FF(X) like. Them party travel around the world, there's the 1000 years number, the protagonist is a shameless Gary Stu, there's the magic/technology merge and clash, the battle system is a shameless copy (albeit not as balanced and more grinding-prone, and no overdrives [I think] or summons). Skill System is based on, well, skills, FFIX like.

And you save the world from a cackling power-obsessed plonker flying about in a big phallic... thing (which is a change from big proto-amphibian thing flying about I guess) by chasing him on your airship, or something.

Oh and it's not as good.

Wow... i guess i missed something... i thought that lost odyssey was amazing... :(

Forwen
07-10-08, 18:14
Wow... i guess i missed something...

1000 Years of Dreams maybe? I assume you read them? It's ironic really, they're very moving readings on their own, but at the same time they show all too clearly what LO could have been but isn't. Sakaguchi went the safe way and decided to keep the tone of the actual plot itself flat - but if LO had the same heavy tone of the Dreams it could've been one of the most memorable and ambitious stories in a long time. But it had to be universal in its manners to sell, so it isn't.

It's also very poorly narrated.

EDIT: Diablo, have you played FFX?

Endow
07-10-08, 18:17

Dia2blo
07-10-08, 18:26
1000 Years of Dreams maybe? I assume you read them? It's ironic really, they're very moving readings on their own, but at the same time they show all too clearly what LO could have been but isn't. Sakaguchi went the safe way and decided to keep the tone of the actual plot itself flat - but if LO had the same heavy tone of the Dreams it could've been one of the most memorable and ambitious stories in a long time. But it had to be universal in its manners to sell, so it isn't.

It's also very poorly narrated.

EDIT: Diablo, have you played FFX?

Yes i have, and i did read nearly every chapter from the thousand year of dreams, i just felt that it built a background to the characters (mainly kaim), without shoving it in your face via some cheesy cut scene. And the reason i never felt that the main villain was some bland nut, is because in a way you sympaphyise with him- all he wanted was to feel! He just got a bit power hungry as we all do.

To be honest, i never thought the game would be all that brilliant, but for some reason it just blew me away. Maybe i'm a sucker for a cheesy plot :S

Also, why is there so much pressure for every new RPG to have some unique sort of battle system? Lost odyssey is virtually the only RPG on the 360 which uses this system, and why shouldn't it?

Forwen
07-10-08, 18:31
And the reason i never felt that the main villain was some bland nut, is because in a way you sympaphyise with him- all he wanted was to feel!

He shouldn't have cackled so much :p

Also, why is there so much pressure for every new RPG to have some unique sort of battle system? Lost odyssey is virtually the only RPG on the 360 which uses this system, and why shouldn't it?

You tell me, I like turn-based battles. My problem is with the details - LO requires hours of tedious grinding even as you go through the main plot, but that can affect any sort of a system, not just this particular one.

Dia2blo
07-10-08, 18:39
He shouldn't have cackled so much :p

You tell me, I like turn-based battles. My problem is with the details - LO requires hours of tedious grinding even as you go through the main plot, but that can affect any sort of a system, not just this particular one.

I agree with the cackling, but as for the grinding, i felt that there werent enough battles... (i know how wierd that sounds) i guess i was just taken away every time one started because of the music :D I actually remember getting to the fourth disc, worrying that i hadnt battled enough. The only part i did HATE was the cheapness of the final battle... How was i meant to know i would need anti-petrification???

Forwen
07-10-08, 18:46
The only part i did HATE was the cheapness of the final battle... How was i meant to know i would need anti-petrification???

Actually I got the feeling more battles were a bit like this - maybe not instant kills, but some sorta killer overdrive move that you just can't see comin' that leaves half of your party dead on the floor and the other poisoned/blinded/silenced/one foot in grave. Still, at least the bosses were challenging, which can't be said about the random battles that you just need to work out a system for then rinse and repeat.

Dia2blo
07-10-08, 18:49
At any rate, i still think its worth a go. It goes down as one of my favourites anyways...

erosan
07-10-08, 19:59
How would they make a sequel? Not to spoil the ending, but that wouldn't make sense :S

Well think about it..... * They can explain what happen to Seth and Gongora. The world that the immortals came from, still isn't fully explained. They can focus on another character, since imo Kaim's story has been told. idk these are just things that come to mind, but i think they can do a lot with it... *

Endow
07-10-08, 20:22

Forwen
07-10-08, 21:20
Well think about it.....

The world they came from is afterlife, that much is clear, so I don't know if stuff like this needs expanding.

Still, the game has a few openings for a sequel imho. A full return would be one of them, or some sort of merging of the worlds that has to be averted (yeah... another Sakaguchi).

Dia2blo
07-10-08, 23:17
yeah, i thought the idea of not actually seeing the alternate world kept its mystery, which is why kaim says that "in a sense, she is dead" The immortals are sort of like messiahs such as jesus or something coming from heaven! Speaking of which, a huge part of the game was explaining why they came, but did i miss it or did they just not explain it?

Forwen
08-10-08, 07:44
Messiahs? More like stealth reconnaisance ;) As for the explanation, I base my understanding of their mission mostly on the audio diary thingamajig in Gongora's lab (the one you access through the garden in his mansion).