PDA

View Full Version : Why Microsoft asked for the DLC? (Let's be honest)

extremelyalive
07-10-08, 18:50
Hum... I feel that I'm going to be murdered after this, but still I want to say this.

I am pretty disappointed with the decision of those exclusive DLC for Xbox360, but let's be honest: (as of what I think I know) Eidos (SCi entertainment) lost a lot of money (http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/09/16/eidos-loses-tons-of-money/) with I don't know what. Then, Microsoft, wanting to make 360 more atractive to consumers, comes to Eidos slapping money to their faces... they see it as a good oportunity, why not taking advantage on it?

I don't know, maybe it's just NOT what I told, I'm just giving my opinion (in a soon-closed thread, maybe :D), but I think we should be a little bit more comprehensive with this situation...

Ok... now, throw me forks and knives! :tea:

P.S.: Please, don't make this thread another one talking about that is not fair that bla bla bla... :P

tomblover
07-10-08, 18:51
*Throws a hug :hug:*

Why haven't I thought of that?!

sandygrimm
07-10-08, 18:52
Because they thought of it :)

extremelyalive
07-10-08, 18:53
*Throws a hug :hug:*

Why haven't I thought of that?!

...that's sarcasm, no? :confused::rolleyes:

interstellardave
07-10-08, 18:53
You make the all-too-common mistake of characterizing MS as not caring about anyone... well, yes, as a corporation they generally wouldn't (no corporation would) but this deal is motivated by giving 360 owners something special. Nice of them, yes?

tidusffxwakka
07-10-08, 18:54
but it should still be made available to sony or atleast pc owners

just give the other platforms a chance !!

Dooch
And Microsoft putting interest in Lara is also a good thing ;)
Whow knowns, maybe Bill Gates is a member of this forum... the irony :vlol:

extremelyalive
You make the all-too-common mistake of characterizing MS as not caring about anyone... well, yes, as a corporation they generally wouldn't (no corporation would) but this deal is motivated by giving 360 owners something special. Nice of them, yes?

Yeah... you're quite right... I'm going to change it... ;)

Thanks!

tlr online
07-10-08, 18:55
With respect to Microsoft, from a business perspective this is a good move. For Microsoft. It's also a strategic move.

Invariably however the other five platform owners (which make up the majority b/w) feel slighted.

My argument is simple. Reward folk for being Tomb Raider fans, not for having the 'right console.'

tidusffxwakka
07-10-08, 18:55
lol he would probably have had a huge smile on his face the whole day knowin he ahem "annoyed" sony

extremelyalive
07-10-08, 18:56
lol he would probably have had a huge smile on his face the whole day knowin he screwed sony over

LOL... I'm imagining it... xD

Anarae
07-10-08, 18:58
It's kind of simple: Microsoft was interested and Sony wasn't.

tidusffxwakka
07-10-08, 19:03
hmmm i doubt sony wouldnt be interested seein how well known tr is and havin tht with dlc would be rather temptin since they get more money themselves

interstellardave
07-10-08, 19:07
With respect to Microsoft, from a business perspective this is a good move. For Microsoft. It's also a strategic move.

Invariably however the other five platform owners (which make up the majority b/w) feel slighted.

My argument is simple. Reward folk for being Tomb Raider fans, not for having the 'right console.'

I can quite easily see a different deal coming out of all this--extra content for the PS3 version (probably different content though). Can you? The other platforms aren't set up very well for it, though, and never get it for most games.

As for PC... the PC almost always seems to get extras eventually... somehow...!

dizzydoil
07-10-08, 19:09
Reward folk for being Tomb Raider fans, not for having the 'right console.'

Beautiful! That's the most sense I've read about the situation yet. :D

Endow
07-10-08, 19:15

Only this is Microsoft's reward to its consumers who pay for their Live subscriptions. This isn't Eidos or Crystal rewarding some of their fans. It's Microsoft rewarding it's users; with a few ulterior motives as well (console war).

cardmonster
07-10-08, 19:26

I still think Microsoft have simply bought an exclusivity window. Eidos would be fools to throw away the combined sales of DLC sold on other platforms for exclusivity - unless of course they offered them more money than the predicted sales. Microsoft do have the money, and Eidos sorely need it.

Regardless, I strongly believe that the additional content will magically appear on other platforms in early 2009. You can quote me on that. ;)

Legend Killer
07-10-08, 19:30
Can someone straighten me out on something here? XBox Live is a payed subscription, right? Does this mean this content will also be additional cost on top of your regular subscription as well? :confused:

cardmonster
07-10-08, 19:31
Can someone straighten me out on something here? XBox Live is a payed subscription, right? Does this mean this content will also be additional cost on top of your regular subscription as well? :confused:
Correct. Well actually, you'll probably be able to buy it after a period of time without a subscription, though I imagine it will be embargoed for a bit.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
07-10-08, 19:32
I still think Microsoft have simply bought an exclusivity window. Eidos would be fools to throw away the combined sales of DLC sold on other platforms for exclusivity - unless of course they offered them more money than the predicted sales. Microsoft do have the money, and Eidos sorely need it.

Regardless, I strongly believe that the additional content will magically appear on other platforms in early 2009. You can quote me on that. ;)

An Eidos Interactive spokesperson told MTV Multiplayer the content for “Tomb Raider” is not a timed exclusive and will not appear on other platforms. There are no plans for separate content to be produced for the other platforms.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/06/tomb-raider-dlc-ps3/

KC Mraz
07-10-08, 19:39
Correct. Well actually, you'll probably be able to buy it after a period of time without a subscription, though I imagine it will be embargoed for a bit.

Free Xbox Live users get the content a week after it's released (though you still will have to pay the price of what you download)

Megalith
07-10-08, 19:39

Agreed 100%!:tmb:
Although it seems that things like that sound a bit "romantic" to Eido$ ears.

cardmonster
07-10-08, 19:43
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/06/tomb-raider-dlc-ps3/
Ah ok, fair enough, I stand corrected. :tmb:

In that case, Microsoft must have offered them more than the predicted sales of the additional missions on other DLC services, or commissioned their time to develop them in the first place. Either is fair enough, if understandably frustrating for the non-360 owning fan.

New2Ya
07-10-08, 19:50

Amen.

This pretty much sums it all up. I feel slapped in the face for being a TR fan since the beginning sticking to the console I played it on my whole life.

Playstation is where TR was introduced to the BIG public (yeah yeah it started on Saturn, I know) and thus it's painful to see we get nothing, whereas 360 owners get extra's and a demo, and PC owners get a demo.

How am I supposed to feel about this.

From a money perspective. When a company, like Eidos, which I dont really like anyways, is so short of money, maybe they oughta give up or merge with another third party publisher. (Ubisoft or something)

Endow
07-10-08, 19:52
What makes me believe Microsoft commissioned this in the first place is the fact that :

a) they are doing this with other franchises
b) the PC fans aren't getting the DLC, and seeing as how the PC is, in a way, a Microsoft console (Games for Windows) the only reason why they wouldn't, is to not give the PS3 users the chance to still play the DLC despite not owning the 360 version. Microsoft has shown that they want to make the 360 the definitive console, no matter what. At one point, they were even losing money with their initial Xbox venture, but they still pressed own to lay the foundations of what came afterward. And they are continuing to do that.

AndreaChristoph
07-10-08, 19:58
...a Microsoft console (Games for Windows) the only reason why they wouldn't, is to not give the PS3 users the chance to still play the DLC despite not owning the 360 version. Microsoft has shown that they want to make the 360 the definitive console, no matter what.

I don't think it's to take it away from the PS3 users so much as to get extra profit- $50 on a PC game, or $300/per person on a console to play an already $50 game and it's extras? The latter is much more likely.

Piega
07-10-08, 20:01
If it is only for xbox 360 and never published ever again then whats the big deal? A few fans will play extra content for extra money and the rest of the huge tomb raider fans will not.

So the majority will never see or play it, then whats to cry about? You cannot grief over what you have never lost.

Endow
07-10-08, 20:09
I don't think it's to take it away from the PS3 users so much as to get extra profit- $50 on a PC game, or $300/per person on a console to play an already $50 game and it's extras? The latter is much more likely.

They aren't winning an extra $50 on a PC game with this :confused: but that wasn't what i was trying to say. The only way for a PS3 player would buy another version is if there was a better version elsewhere. Altough Microsoft gains some money with the PC games they are more interested in getting a bigger userbase for their console. That's where I was getting. By taking it away from the PS3 they are making it more likely for them to buy the 360 version.

AndreaChristoph
07-10-08, 20:14
They aren't winning an extra $50 on a PC game with this.

I agree with you. My comment on the 'extra $50' was in regards to the profits they'd make releasing it on PC as opposed to releasing it solely on 360.

feanor
07-10-08, 20:14
Ayup All...

If Microsoft wanna make the 360 'the definitive console' then add-on extra content isn't the way to do it. they want to sort out sh*t like the 'Red Ring Of Death' and other technical issues 360 owners may have. just reading about the RRD and asking my neighbour who's had 5 of them go down on him (!) made me steer well CLEAR of the 360, even cut price from Game or Gamestation... plus it looks like a Toaster f**ked by a breadbin and is just pig-ugly... i'll give it the wireless controllers are ok, 'cos i've played (call of duty?) or some such network WW2 game on it. which although graphically excellent, still relies on you avoiding Feckin' dweebs who want to just run around and shoot you in the back... whoevers side they're on...

Endow
07-10-08, 20:29
I agree with you. My comment on the 'extra $50' was in regards to the profits they'd make releasing it on PC as opposed to releasing it solely on 360.

Ah sorry about that. I was a bit confused with your statement

Ayup All...

If Microsoft wanna make the 360 'the definitive console' then add-on extra content isn't the way to do it. they want to sort out sh*t like the 'Red Ring Of Death' and other technical issues 360 owners may have. just reading about the RRD and asking my neighbour who's had 5 of them go down on him (!) made me steer well CLEAR of the 360, even cut price from Game or Gamestation... plus it looks like a Toaster f**ked by a breadbin and is just pig-ugly... i'll give it the wireless controllers are ok, 'cos i've played (call of duty?) or some such network WW2 game on it. which although graphically excellent, still relies on you avoiding Feckin' dweebs who want to just run around and shoot you in the back... whoevers side they're on...

Your point being?

feanor
07-10-08, 20:33
Ah sorry about that. I was a bit confused with your statement

Your point being?

Sort out the actual hardware technical problems so that it doesn't overheat or die or whatever it does to **** people off. THEN pump in killer Apps like TR:U add ons and the like.Re-brand it and don't make it synonymous with 'microsoft' and the problems ITS hardware's always had... But maybe this would only work with a totally new next-gen console..

AndreaChristoph
07-10-08, 20:33
Feanor- fair enough that you've had a bad experience with the 360, but I've had mine for a full year with not one sighting of the 'red ring of death' (was your friend's a launch console?), I find it quite aesthetically pleasing and while people tend to be immature on the online play, you can easily mute them (and they'll only fight back at *you* if the match is lost and you've aggravated them in some way). Everything is relative.

Endow
07-10-08, 20:36
Sort out the technical stuff so that it doesn't overheat or die or whatever it does to **** people off. THEN pump in killer Apps like TR:U add ons and the like.

I'm not sure that Microsoft is reading your post though. And actually Microsoft has already spent millions on the RROD thing. From what I heard the new models are significantly less prone to RROD. Which means nothing, really, we are talking about why they want the DLC.

feanor
07-10-08, 20:50
Ayup Endow...

I don't like this 'significantly less prone ' bit. consoles and computers should work from day one as they were intended.i don't want patches, downloads or fixes to use the console/computer the way i intend. microsoft want the DLC to steal customers off Sony pure and simple.

For me, PC games have always been about unintelligible 'minimum specs' needed to play games that just plug in a console, that make me think more about if its 'suitable' for the PC i have, than playing the damn thing, and about having to use the crappy arrow keys to navigate around most of the game...

I know things have changed. its just that this naff perception has stayed with me from the beginning of the computer revolution 25 years ago...

@ Andrea..

thanks for the sympathy. but as for the hardware of the console/computer it should work straight off the bat... the stuff about online gaming was a small pet rant i have. i'm sure there's good content out there for 360. my neighbour seems to think so...

Endow
07-10-08, 20:57
Ayup Endow...

I don't like this 'significantly less prone ' bit. consoles and computers should work from day one as they were intended.i don't want patches, downloads or fixes to use the console/computer the way i intend. microsoft want the DLC to steal customers off Sony pure and simple.

Yes, of course. That's the point. And the 360 has had problems. I was just saying they have been trying to fix what appears to be a problem with the initial design concept, and in fact will give you a new console if your goes RROD. It's up to the consumer to chose whether or not they want to buy the console of course. I don't get what we are actually discussing here :confused::p

feanor
07-10-08, 21:16
Ayup Endow...

Trouble is, i think the underlying problem is the 'exclusivity' thing. Eidos have a fiercely loyal TR fanbase that REALLY loves Lara. i know there are probably sub- tribes, but all franchises do i guess, and from what i've seen, lately joining in with it, is that for TR:U, there was a spirit of fan-togetherness. looking forward to the TR 'Future'. now a lot of goodwill between 'have' and 'have nots', will spoil a little of this good spirit in the name of commerce. These 'Apres' TR:u demos coulda waited until AFTER the release, when we'd all be too busy playing the game to bother...

Endow
07-10-08, 21:22
Ayup Endow...

Trouble is, i think the underlying problem is the 'exclusivity' thing. Eidos have a fiercely loyal TR fanbase that REALLY loves Lara. i know there are probably sub- tribes, but all franchises do i guess, and from what i've seen, lately joining in with it, is that for TR:U, there was a spirit of fan-togetherness. looking forward to the TR 'Future'. now a lot of goodwill between 'have' and 'have nots', will spoil a little of this good spirit in the name of commerce. These 'Apres' TR:u demos coulda waited until AFTER the release, when we'd all be too busy playing the game to bother...

So you are saying Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot with this move? Or Eidos?

belter_21
07-10-08, 22:07
In answer to the question, maybe MS has a win on its hands vs PS3 and Wii - that's it I guess.

From a different perspective to some other posts - if you own a 360 then MS have done right by you and rewarded your loyalty to the platform, albeit the DLC will have a price I guess ;)

Plus if you have an OK PC and a 360 then this means maybe you'll opt to buy TRU on the 360 over PC? Not justifyin', just sayin'.

Off topic - I had a Red Ring of Death (RROD) with my 360 and got it repaired & returned by MS in just a few days. (Guitar Hero 3 killed it.) That's good service to be fair.

Big Lara Fan
07-10-08, 22:09
In answer to the question, maybe MS has a win on its hands vs PS3 and Wii - that's it I guess.

From a different perspective to some other posts - if you own a 360 then MS have done right by you and rewarded your loyalty to the platform, albeit the DLC will have a price I guess ;)

Plus if you have an OK PC and a 360 then this means maybe you'll opt to buy TRU on the 360 over PC? Not justifyin', just sayin'.

Off topic - I had a Red Ring of Death (RROD) with my 360 and got it repaired & returned by MS in just a few days. (Guitar Hero 3 killed it.) That's good service to be fair.

Yeah, and the new consoles don't even seem to have that problem anymore. It was something about the old 360 Hardware that overheated too much or something and they fixed it with the new consoles being released, but I've had mine now for almost 3 months and not one problem with it (other than the occasional freeze, but eh, what console doesn't do that?). :wve:

TRhalloween
07-10-08, 22:11

I agree.

And when I got the red ring of death, I just took the plug out and put it back in. Best advice ever.

skaterkid
08-10-08, 14:23

My argument is simple. Reward folk for being Tomb Raider fans, not for having the 'right console.'Exactly. Couldn't Eidos have approached both console makers and discussed this like civilized human beings instead of acting like some stripper jumping for dollar bills. Why couldn't there have been console specific DLC? Lara's Shadow for the PS3 and the other level for XBOX360. Why do they get both?

Lara's home
08-10-08, 14:31
Exactly. Couldn't Eidos have approached both console makers and discussed this like civilized human beings instead of acting like some stripper jumping for dollar bills. Why couldn't there have been console specific DLC? Lara's Shadow for the PS3 and the other level for XBOX360. Why do they get both?

You know that buisness is not 'nice' right?

dinahcat
08-10-08, 15:15
Well...Sony isn't excatly stepping up to the plate. PS players have historically gotten screwed when it came to DLC/Extras, so why start now?

TR1-3...PC got the Golds
TRL/Anniversay...Wii got bonus stuff (archeologists' tool kit, torch, bonus trophy room etc.) and DS (I think) got bonus outfits and Tomb Trials. X360 got Next Gen graphics for Legend.

Um...Sony? What are you helping us get? I paid a boatload of money to play your console...when are your little lobbyinst going to stop oogling Lara models long enough to go broker a bonus deal for us?

Samsdad
08-10-08, 15:37

If I read the release correctly, MS paid for the developemnt of extra content. Why should the makers of other consoles benefit for something that MS paid for?

trtrailerman
08-10-08, 15:40

completely agreed here, this console war has nearly created a divide in the tr community, Thats not what the iminant release of a latest game in a series shud do to the fans

Lleonard Pler
08-10-08, 16:46
and DS (I think) got bonus outfits and Tomb Trials.

Nope, the bonus outfits and Tomb Trials were for the PSP version of TR Legend. DS version had some pointless minigames, though.

You're so right! It was the fans who helped the series during the hard times.

feanor
08-10-08, 16:49
So you are saying Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot with this move? Or Eidos?

Ayup Endow...

Maybe both. certainly Eidos.
@Eidos...
I have a PS2 as my only 'current' console. C'mon Eidos, where are the specific screenshots and demos for us and PS3 owners? No problems i trust?

feanor
08-10-08, 16:53

Ayup TLR..

But they're not, are they?

Doncha think Eidos will be seen as '360 centric' now? mind you, Business is business isn't it?