PDA

View Full Version : Streaming vids no sound

oocladableeblah
07-10-08, 23:47
On my pc youtube, gamespot, and basically all sites that have streaming videos have no sound. This is the case for both firefox and IE. I cleared all the cookies and other private stuff on FF. I even turned off my firewall, but none of that helped and I don't have sound for streaming videos. Anyone know a way to fix this?

irjudd
08-10-08, 00:43
Uncheck the Mute option? :p

Benguitar
08-10-08, 01:41
Uncheck the Mute option? :p

LOL!

Yeah always be sure to check the mute button.

Also sometimes videos have separate volume controls of their own, and even if your computer volume is turned up the video may be down and you will not hear any noise.

EscondeR
08-10-08, 05:33
After successful checking the "Mute" status :D install necessary codecs (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm).

oocladableeblah
08-10-08, 14:11
It's not the mute button I can listen to music just fine. I even turned the speakers as loud and they could go and I got no sound with the videos.
K EscondeR I'll do that after school.

EscondeR
08-10-08, 16:47
Update Adobe Flash Player also.

oocladableeblah
09-10-08, 05:01
After successful checking the "Mute" status :D install necessary codecs (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm).

Update Adobe Flash Player also.
I tried both those and nothing still no sound. I even did a second check on my mute button and I was still able to hear music from iTunes and not from streaming videos.

EscondeR
09-10-08, 05:59
1. Do you have any other browser to check, IE for example?
AFAIK media files are played by default in FF settings.

2. What's you connection speed?

spikejones
09-10-08, 06:11
ahem...

the embedded video player has a volume control... have you adjusted it? (not only do you need to look at your speakers and the volume in your system tray, but also in the video player ;) )

EscondeR
09-10-08, 06:23
^ See post #3 here :p :wve:

spikejones
09-10-08, 06:40
yesh... i seen it. but wanted to make sure they seen it too. cause the below made me think otherwise.
I tried both those and nothing still no sound. I even did a second check on my mute button and I was still able to hear music from iTunes and not from streaming videos.

makes it sound as though they only checked volume on the task bar. its actually the only thing i can think of. there is no reason other than that which i can think of that would keep an embedded video from playing sound. generally if there is a video embedded, you will have to download the plugin to play it, and that will be enough to get both video and audio. I've personally never come across a video where this alone was not enough to hear the video. so the only logical solution i can think of is that the video itself is muted. even on a fresh os installation i can play any embedded videos i come across once the plugin is installed (and this is before installing any other codecs). by all means though, if you see a video that needs codecs to be played in the embedded player... let me know. i wanna see something new.

EscondeR
09-10-08, 06:43
I think a screenshot of typical stream not playing sound might help decide if that's embedded controls or not ;)

oocladableeblah
09-10-08, 18:44
Ok here I took a screen shot and included iTunes and again I couldn't hear the youtube video, but I could hear the music. The volume is up on youtube as you can see in the screen shot.

I do not have the little volume control on the taskbar and when I go into Start>All Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control. It pops up with a message saying "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." "This program will now close." With an OK button on the bottom.

I went to control panel and I don't have a Printers and Other Hardware button.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/oocladableeblah/untitled-1.jpg

EscondeR
09-10-08, 19:00
^ Go to Control panel > System > Hardware tab > Device manager and delete your audio device drivers from Sound, video and game controllers branch. Delete Audio codecs also.
Then reboot your PC.
When Windows asks for audio device driver put Audio drivers CD in drive and browse to drivers folder, reinstall drivers.
You may need to reinstall K-Lite Codec pack after.

spikejones
09-10-08, 20:17
also make sure to go to:
start->run->services.msc

make sure that windows audio service is running.

Benguitar
09-10-08, 22:48

*chuckles*