PDA

View Full Version : FRYED Card?>

wadej88
10-10-08, 09:03
Hey guys,

since i have a monitor near my bed,
i moved my comp over and unplugged the monitor and plugged in the other one. Something happened because ALL of the LED's on it (its an old diamond view) were flashing, instead of one blinking orange (when it shouldnt because it was in supported range).

anyhoo i tried to plug old monitor in but since my card doesent have a bracket it slipped from the pci slot.

turned computer off and when restarted computer wouldnt show any images, just blinking from the LED (both VGA ports). Though when I remove the card and just use onboard it works fine, so whilst in windows i plug in the card and it just freezes,

is my card fried? (BTW ive tried other PCi slots, BIOS setting etc)

Tom1358
10-10-08, 09:23
NEVER(!!!) Plug in or out some PCI device, if your system is running. These devices are really(!) sensitive to all kind of electricity and can cause serious damage to your hardware. This is neither USB nor are there any hot plug capabilities. Always unplug the power cable before touching any component that is directly connected to the mainboard.

Right after switching your computer on, the BIOS takes control of it, performs a power-on self test and checks (rudimentary) any device that is connected to the mainboard.
If everything essential is fine it "beeps" and the boot process continues, otherwise it gets aborted and you can hear some beep code that indicates the reason for the malfunciton. These beep codes should be listed in the mainboard manual or google for BIOS+beep-codes.

From your description, you most probably killed your video card. sorry dude

EscondeR
10-10-08, 09:54
Be happy you haven't killed your slot or motherboard as a whole :mis:

wadej88
10-10-08, 10:50
Oh ok,

i knew that PCI wasnt plug n play etc,

i plugged the card in and all it does basically is get REALLY hot.
its alright though because my replacement FX5550 is coming in the mail (first one didnt work)

EscondeR
10-10-08, 11:05
You'd better not put the fried card into MoBo slots :mis:

spikejones
10-10-08, 20:21
NEVER(!!!) Plug in or out some PCI device, if your system is running.

agreed

If everything essential is fine it "beeps" and the boot process continues, otherwise it gets aborted and you can hear some beep code that indicates the reason for the malfunciton. These beep codes should be listed in the mainboard manual or google for BIOS+beep-codes.

not necessarily true. I've yet to have a computer that "beeped" if everything was okay. Generally anykind of "beep" during the boot process indicates an error of some sort. Usually its something along the lines of a dead CMOS battery or a faulty fan, from my experience.

anyhoo i tried to plug old monitor in but since my card doesent have a bracket it slipped from the pci slot.

better make sure the next one you get is firmly secured to the computer. it should have a brace-plate that you screw into the slot on the case.

irjudd
10-10-08, 23:52
not necessarily true. I've yet to have a computer that "beeped" if everything was okay. Generally anykind of "beep" during the boot process indicates an error of some sort. Usually its something along the lines of a dead CMOS battery or a faulty fan, from my experience.I've actually encountered both. All the computers in my house though don't beep during POST. But I have built a couple that came with a MOBO speaker that sounded the single beep during POST. So you can't really count on it as a troubleshooting method in all circumstances.

wadej88
11-10-08, 03:32
I thaught only older computers beeped?

lucky i only payed $5 for the card from a garage sale :ton:

EscondeR
11-10-08, 19:59
I've actually encountered both. All the computers in my house though don't beep during POST. But I have built a couple that came with a MOBO speaker that sounded the single beep during POST. So you can't really count on it as a troubleshooting method in all circumstances.

Some people are getting nervous cause of beeping and disconnect the speaker - highly not recommended as you can't hear the exact POST beep codes then :)

wadej88
11-10-08, 22:57
For some reason my computer has a speaker on the mobo, its tiny but it beeps :ton: (like when you press shift five times), theres also a larger speaker in the case but its not connected.