PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot in either Normal or Safe mode

DAGR80NE
12-10-08, 01:06
I have a problem exactly the same as this thread:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3092452#post3092452
The only difference is that i did not install any program. I just click in the windows update and i was downloading xp pack 3. I had my MSN on but was not using it ( i don't trust this)
Went to take a shower and when i realised computer has frozen. Shutting down and all the problems started. Then i did the Non- Destructive system restore and the same issue.

here is what happens: "when loading up, the PC froze at the login screen, didn't show any usernames or pictures or shut down options. I restarted again and it still would not work. So I inserted my Windows XP disc and repaired it. Now, when I boot the PC up, it goes as far as the "Welcome to Windows" screen. It's all blue with 2 dark blue bars, one at the top, and one at the bottom. The Microsoft Windows XP logo is in the middle, and the cursor is shown. But it just hangs there, and won't load. I tried booting in Safe Mode, but all it did was go to the same screen as normal boot, then it restarts the PC. I've also tried booting on the last known configuration, still nothing".

Please advised...as i do not want to restore neither destructive nor with back up
Thanks

spikejones
12-10-08, 01:11
sounds like you may have jacked it up by shutting it down during the service pack installation. there is a strict warning on that update that says:

"do not have any other applications running, do not use the computer, do not shut the computer down during the update process"

it is there for a reason. I will pass this one off to EscondeR though as he may have some ideas, but I would guess the only way to get it back working is to reformat and reinstall the operating system.

irjudd
12-10-08, 01:17
sounds like you may have jacked it up by shutting it down during the service pack installation. there is a strict warning on that update that says:

"do not have any other applications running, do not use the computer, do not shut the computer down during the update process"

it is there for a reason. I will pass this one off to EscondeR though as he may have some ideas, but I would guess the only way to get it back working is to reformat and reinstall the operating system.
Happened to one of my junk (thank goodness) computers that I was installing SP3 onto. It froze during installation and I had no choice but to reformat and reinstall. Shame really.

DAGR80NE
12-10-08, 01:19
I think that you are correct on that one.
When i went to the computer it seems it was freezing and i shut it down.
:( but did not know if updated has finished it or not
there is no other way to fixed besides the formatting?
Thanks for the reply and feedback

Happened to one of my junk (thank goodness) computers that I was installing SP3 onto. It froze during installation and I had no choice but to reformat and reinstall. Shame really.

Reformat??? can i use system restore (back up) instead
want to save my pictures and mp3

irjudd
12-10-08, 01:46
Unfortunately I there isn't any way (that I know of) to run system restore if you can't even get into safe mode.

DAGR80NE
12-10-08, 02:01
Unfortunately I there isn't any way (that I know of) to run system restore if you can't even get into safe mode.

well if i run it from the CD yes...i have access to system restore, the recomended, the destructive and the backup, i want to use the last one cause i can backup my files and reinstall the OS again

quarrystile
12-10-08, 07:54
Have you tried re-installing XP without reformatting? ( ie:not a clean install )
When installing, leave the file system intact and do not let the setup disc format the drive.
That way you get windows back and more importantly you should manage to save your precious files and folders.

I know it can be done as I have done it myself.... on this PC too :) But I cannot remember exactly how I did it.

Check with Alex and Spike. :)

spikejones
12-10-08, 10:17
its called a repair installation that basically just reinstalls the operating system and is supposed to leave the data intact. from what i understand. but i dont trust it as ive never done that. i feel like if im gonna do another install it might as well be a whole fresh start.

you can still save the data if you boot of a linux live disc as was mentioned in the other thread, then save the data onto a flash drive or external hard drive. or if you have a second internal drive, you can store the stuff there temporarily until you do a fresh install.

Either way you go, whether it be a full format/install, or a repair installation, I would still try to back up the data if at all possible.

EscondeR
12-10-08, 12:35
Yup, backup personal data first (booting from Vista Live CD or Linux disc), then perform Repair installation (booting from XP Installation CD). If it fails somehow, then report and we'll think about some other non-standard ways :)

irjudd
12-10-08, 14:03
In the past I've even set up a second partition to install windows on so I could browse over to the partition with the broken Windows install and get my files. This was back in the early 00's :)

Don't worry, you'll get your data back. One way or another.

DAGR80NE
12-10-08, 19:31
its called a repair installation that basically just reinstalls the operating system and is supposed to leave the data intact. from what i understand. but i dont trust it as ive never done that. i feel like if im gonna do another install it might as well be a whole fresh start.

you can still save the data if you boot of a linux live disc as was mentioned in the other thread, then save the data onto a flash drive or external hard drive. or if you have a second internal drive, you can store the stuff there temporarily until you do a fresh install.

Either way you go, whether it be a full format/install, or a repair installation, I would still try to back up the data if at all possible.

is this the same as Full system restore (with backup)? (repair installation)
Apparently it saves the data and just format and install the windows xp only (OS)

EscondeR
12-10-08, 19:35
^ It formats nothing, it's just repaires errors in Windows installation. Not ultimate, but 90% helpful solution.

DAGR80NE
13-10-08, 22:40
Esconder, did you think i should do this?
I don't have linux so that option is not an option :)

EscondeR
14-10-08, 05:42
^ Then perform the repair installation, as you have no Linux distribution CD :)