PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Graphics Cards...

Lara's Backpack
14-10-08, 21:55
At the moment my desktop has an Nvidia 7600GT card installed, and thats all well and good for the games I have now... but its not going to run Underworld.

So I was wondering, what things should I look for so that the new card I buy will simply plug in and work?

I understand I have the basic PCI Express on my motherboard, but I have no idea how to check things like the powersupply and whether or not it will be compatible.

Hardware freaks me out...

spikejones
14-10-08, 22:12
basic PCI express. lol.

in the old days PCI was the basic, nowadays PCI express may be the "basic" but is also the best. so its not really "basic".

anyhoo, what is your machines manufacturer and model (exact number please). from that we should be able to see what your current power supply is (if you have decent manufacturer that provides that info).

Then look also at what the card is that you want and look at the system requirements.

It would help to start with if you posted a report of diagnose.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/diagnose.exe)

Lara's Backpack
14-10-08, 23:50
Im not on that current computer, if fact its not even here at school with me. Im planning on updating it as soon as I get home afterschool. The computer was custom built by a department store known as Harvey Norman.

Its currently running XP, so Ill need to update that aswell, which Im not looking forward to at all.

I just want to know, if I stick with Nvidia and choose a card with the same PCI requirements will it atleast fit in my motherboard? :p I can work out power requirement ect after I decide on which one I want to buy./

EscondeR
15-10-08, 06:18
Its currently running XP, so Ill need to update that aswell, which Im not looking forward to at all.
No, you're not to do this. You don't need Vista to play TRU.

I just want to know, if I stick with Nvidia and choose a card with the same PCI requirements will it atleast fit in my motherboard? :p I can work out power requirement ect after I decide on which one I want to buy./

If you post your Diagnose.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/diagnose.exe) report and your PSU specs, we'll help you increase the performance by all means possible :)
Meanwhile you can go to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest , choose TRU from the list and run the test (on your home PC obviously).

Lara's Backpack
15-10-08, 08:51
ah sorry, I wasn't clear about what "after school meant" I meant after this term has concluded Im moving away for university and Ive had the computer sent ahead of me. But Ive begun looking around for graphics cards and I just wanted to know - if I cant see if anything will be compatible without having the computer physically infront of me I wont bother for a few weeks until Im there with it ;)

Thanks for the replies already, ill dig this thread up at a later date I guess.

EDIT: You dont need Vista for TRU? I thought DX10 was exclusive to it?

EscondeR
15-10-08, 09:45
^ Minimum:

2,5Ghz CPU
1Gb RAM
XP or Vista
DX 9 or 10
up from NV 6800GT: 128Mb+PS3.0

Lara's Backpack
15-10-08, 09:55
Danke. That is good news, but an upgrade from the 7600 will be much more helpful for making the game pretty :p