PDA

View Full Version : 6 Reasons Why Tomb Raider Underworld Will Tank

remyma
23-10-08, 22:12
Look:
http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2008/10/6-reasons-why-tomb-raider-underworld-will-tank/

Arrgh! :mad:

DickDan
23-10-08, 22:15
I Agree with the writer actually, but I'll prob still get this game.

dizzydoil
23-10-08, 22:16
Quoted from a reply on the blog... I like this dude, sorted the author of the above out :D.

What the kind of bullcrap article is this, okay I’ll do all your silly ‘reasons’.
1. Story part one. If you would’ve played attention on Tomb Raider Legend you would immediately recognise Lara’s dead mother in the trailer. Obviously you’re just trolling so you couldn’t care less if they finalle continued storylines for Tomb Raider games, which is a ****ing big plus.
2. The title. I bet you found Gears of War 2 an exciting title, or Final Fantasy X, or XI, or XII. Underworld is way more original than that, plus if the reason for the ‘underworld’ subtitle isn’t clear from the trailers, it doesn’t mean it’s not going to be in the game. You’d think someone who can speak English would know that.
3. Story part two. What the hell are you bashing here, the use of the word epic? Why the hell are you watching the trailers if you don’t want to get an opinion of the game before it comes out. If you want to to make out your opinion from the game, not the trailers, I suggest you don’t watch the trailers and buy the game, dumb****.
4. The Locations. The locations are different enough, but you don’t know enough yet about the story to know how they’re linked, yeah, that sounds like a great reason not to buy the game. Come on, it’s great to have different locations, let them figure out how to link ‘em.
5. Gameplay Enhancements. First of all, they’re called enhancements, which means that if the gameplay was great in the last games (like Legend and Anniversary), you won’t need many, guess what, the gameplay from Legend and Anniversary wás great. Maybe you mean Gameplay changes, I’ll explain something the gameplay of an adventure game is usually about thesame. So only if they’d want to make a totally different game a lot of gameplay changes would be needed, but it wouldn’t be Tomb Raider if they changed the formula.
6. An Uncharted comparison? Are you serious? I’m seriously doubting if you’ve played either a Tomb Raider game or Uncharted in the past. Maybe you’ve missed it, but in Uncharted you shoot negroes, about 90% of the time, 10% of the time is spent for some easy jump puzzles. In Tomb Raider, 10% of gameplay is spent shooting, 90% is spent solving puzzles, and genuine adventuring.
Some ruins should never be discovered, and some articles should never be written.
Once the game is out, and it sucks, I give you the right to bash and troll all you want, but please buy the game before you go about bashing the hottest chick in games:wve: Fair dos.

Sir Croft
23-10-08, 22:16
Oh, another looser. :rolleyes:

Rivendell
23-10-08, 22:19
:vlol: Well the same person also wrote:

I enjoyed the PS2 version Tomb Raider Legend. In fact, it was my first Tomb Raider ever and I found it entertaining and worth my time and hard earned cash.

Sir Croft
23-10-08, 22:19
What the kind of bullcrap article is this, okay I’ll do all your silly ‘reasons’.
1. Story part one. If you would’ve played attention on Tomb Raider Legend you would immediately recognise Lara’s dead mother in the trailer. Obviously you’re just trolling so you couldn’t care less if they finalle continued storylines for Tomb Raider games, which is a ****ing big plus.
2. The title. I bet you found Gears of War 2 an exciting title, or Final Fantasy X, or XI, or XII. Underworld is way more original than that, plus if the reason for the ‘underworld’ subtitle isn’t clear from the trailers, it doesn’t mean it’s not going to be in the game. You’d think someone who can speak English would know that.
3. Story part two. What the hell are you bashing here, the use of the word epic? Why the hell are you watching the trailers if you don’t want to get an opinion of the game before it comes out. If you want to to make out your opinion from the game, not the trailers, I suggest you don’t watch the trailers and buy the game, dumb****.
4. The Locations. The locations are different enough, but you don’t know enough yet about the story to know how they’re linked, yeah, that sounds like a great reason not to buy the game. Come on, it’s great to have different locations, let them figure out how to link ‘em.
5. Gameplay Enhancements. First of all, they’re called enhancements, which means that if the gameplay was great in the last games (like Legend and Anniversary), you won’t need many, guess what, the gameplay from Legend and Anniversary wás great. Maybe you mean Gameplay changes, I’ll explain something the gameplay of an adventure game is usually about thesame. So only if they’d want to make a totally different game a lot of gameplay changes would be needed, but it wouldn’t be Tomb Raider if they changed the formula.
6. An Uncharted comparison? Are you serious? I’m seriously doubting if you’ve played either a Tomb Raider game or Uncharted in the past. Maybe you’ve missed it, but in Uncharted you shoot negroes, about 90% of the time, 10% of the time is spent for some easy jump puzzles. In Tomb Raider, 10% of gameplay is spent shooting, 90% is spent solving puzzles, and genuine adventuring.
Some ruins should never be discovered, and some articles should never be written.
Once the game is out, and it sucks, I give you the right to bash and troll all you want, but please buy the game before you go about bashing the hottest chick in games

lol
just PWNED.

EmeraldFields
23-10-08, 22:20
Yikes! That was a brutal beating!:smk: And an unecessary one at that.

St4r
23-10-08, 22:20
He's probably a fan of Uncharted...

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-10-08, 22:21
As much as it pains me to say this... this article is spot on, and I couldn't agree more.

I find this bit awfully funny:

Tomb Raider Milking The Cash Cow, Tomb Raider The Quest For More Money, Tomb Raider Lara’s Bogus Journey, Tomb Raider Beating The Already Beaten Dead Horse and Tomb Raider Big Boobs And Skimpy Outfits

:vlol: Classic. :p

Sadly, my hopes for this game are low. Let's hope I'm proved wrong, but I'm not expecting anything fantastic... at all.

Isaac
23-10-08, 22:23
I Agree with the writer actually, but I'll prob still get this game.

DickDan...

6 Reasons Why Tomb Raider Underworld Will Tank
Submitted by Danny_D

Danny_D...

Apparently, the DD club doesn't like Tomb Raider Underworld. :ton:

This article is a non-constructive one... Who would fall in the trap of listening those kind of arguments?

Sir Croft
23-10-08, 22:25

It looks like the Uncharted fanboys are scared of TRU being better than their protege, so they start bashing it even before playing it. :rolleyes:

dizzydoil
23-10-08, 22:25
Apparently, the DD club doesn't like Tomb Raider Underworld. :ton:
dizzydoil .. :pi:! I loves Underworld :D.

igonge
23-10-08, 22:26
:vlol: Classic. :p

No... EPIC!

ThatNorskChick
23-10-08, 22:27
Actually, I found the article incredibly lame.

He only came up with 6 reasons and 3 of them were basically the same. :rolleyes: The only part I agreed with was the deal about the gameplay (even that part was written poorly). Boo.

Tombraiderx08
23-10-08, 22:28

He only came up with 6 reasons and 3 of them were basically the same. :rolleyes: The only part I agreed with was the deal about the gameplay. Boo. super true! He's just mad cuz he eats babies with tractors!

coolaideonfire
23-10-08, 22:30

Made me laugh too. :vlol:

Beanz
23-10-08, 22:31
apparantly this guy doesnt know an awful lot about tomb raider...

KC Mraz
23-10-08, 22:32

Exactly what i was going to say.

FinalRequiem
23-10-08, 22:33
haha :vlol:

This made me laugh out loud. Seriously.
EPIC KICK :ton:

I agree on some points, disagree on others. Was a fun read though. :D

jeffrey van oort
23-10-08, 22:34
We'll see.

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-10-08, 22:36
No... EPIC!

LOL! True :vlol:

He only came up with 6 reasons and 3 of them were basically the same. :rolleyes: The only part I agreed with was the deal about the gameplay (even that part was written poorly). Boo.

Good point, I could have came up with way more than 6 reasons. :p

apparantly this guy doesnt know an awful lot about tomb raider...

You don't have to know a lot about Tomb Raider to spot a sucky game when you see one.

Zebra
23-10-08, 22:37

I'm a fan of Uncharted, too :p. And I don't bash the game.

D0NN1E
23-10-08, 22:38
I have the feeling that TRU is going to be this year's biggest surprise. Expectations are low, everyone is looking at Gears of War, Little Big Planet and Prince of Persia. However, I think TRU might just steal the show. Everything new I see from the game just makes me think it will surpass the originals in many ways. The talent involved is astounding.

I won't even comment on that pathetic "article".

St4r
23-10-08, 22:39
It looks like the Uncharted fanboys are scared of TRU being better than their protege, so they start bashing it even before playing it. :rolleyes:

Yep, and that's someting I cannot understand, because TR and Uncharted a 2 totally different genres. I've expected a kind of 'war' between TR and PoP fans, but not this.

TRhalloween
23-10-08, 22:40
OMG I think this "Tomb Raider" game is stealing from Uncharted! :eek:

:rolleyes:

The writer is a complete loser. He doesn't recognize Natla's voice and he immediately starts talking about the movie.

Dingaling
23-10-08, 22:42
Yep, and that's someting I cannot understand, because TR and Uncharted a 2 totally different genres. I've expected a kind of 'war' between TR and PoP fans, but not this.

Uncharted and TR are both Action-Adventure games, they are in the same genre. One just happens to focus more on Action while the other more on Adventure.

Dia2blo
23-10-08, 22:42
OMG I think this "Tomb Raider" game is stealing from Uncharted! :eek:

:rolleyes:

The writer is a complete loser. He doesn't recognize Natla's voice and he immediately starts talking about the movie.

Exactly! He's hardly reliable when it comes to the story then. It's sort of ironic how this game seems to already have more depth to the story than any other tr game (AOD excluded of course) yet people are bashing that aspect. As much as i hate to admit it, it 'aint the story that's sold the tomb raider games!!

St4r
23-10-08, 22:43
I'm a fan of Uncharted, too :p. And I don't bash the game.

Oh well, I'm still a bit angry on that 4players (?) preview. :D

Uncharted and TR are both Action-Adventure games, they are in the same genre. One just happens to focus more on Action while the other more on Adventure.

Hm, it's more like a 3rd person shooter IMO, but maybe that's just mine.

Kittypower
23-10-08, 22:45
its a blog, like the ones on gametrailer. It dosent have any relevance.

Rydell
23-10-08, 22:46
I enjoyed the PS2 version Tomb Raider Legend. In fact, it was my first Tomb Raider ever and I found it entertaining and worth my time and hard earned cash.

Rivendell I'm actually dissapointed, theres absolutely nothing wrong with Legend. I'm not saying that you mean that, but the fact you find that he started with Legend hysterical is extremely annoying.

A HUGE amount of people on this forum started with Tomb Raider Legend.
A HUGE amount of the Tomb Raider fan's were created from Legend.
You also can't deny Legend saved Tomb Raider from eternal damnation in the gaming world after AOD.
Legend, like it or not sucessfully rebooted the series.
(Not saying you disagree with any of the above either)

I started with AOD, couldn't get my ass out of the ghetto and never touched a game. Until about two months after Legend was released. That's why I'm here.

Sorry if this sounds bad, but honestly, How is it funny he started with Legend? ;)

Does the fact he started with Legend mean his opinion is worth less or something? That's what it seems like.

Edsta
23-10-08, 22:48
I felt compelled to make an account to argue, but then I couldn't be bothered, so I kept it brief :p

trtrailerman
23-10-08, 22:48
Rivendell I'm actually dissapointed, theres absolutely nothing wrong with Legend.

oh no you've gone mad :)

Achilles_DS
23-10-08, 22:50
The face that he didn't know the voice was Natala's voice tells me that he is in no position to really judge why it will tank.

Rydell
23-10-08, 22:50
oh no you've gone mad :)

I don't believe so, Legend was a great game. It was my second Tomb Raider, I didn't want to touch the series after the game poisoning I had from AOD but after seeing trailers I wanted to play Legend and since then I've played three of the classics. Legend isn't any less of a game then the classics.

chambs1
23-10-08, 22:51
I started with Legend, too. I played TR3 back in the day, but I couldn't get anywhere. Legend reeled me back in, but I am ready for something more challenging.

I agree with the writer on one point- the marketing for TRU hasn't been the best, but show me one game that is. Sure, Eric Lindstrom has overused 'epic', but take any other big title and I'll give you a catch phrase or word to go along with it.

It sounds to me like he has some personal vendetta against Tomb Raider. Oh well, I'll still enjoy it and so will alot of people on this forum.

gtkilla
23-10-08, 22:51
Lmao :vlol: It's obvious he's only bashing it 'cause he's mad about the 360 dlc & demo :D

Rydell
23-10-08, 22:53
I started with Legend, too. I played TR3 back in the day, but I couldn't get anywhere. Legend reeled me back in, but I am ready for something more challenging.

I agree with the writer on one point- the marketing for TRU hasn't been the best, but show me one game that is. Sure, Eric Lindstrom has overused 'epic', but take any other big title and I'll give you a catch phrase or word to go along with it.

It sounds to me like he has some personal vendetta against Tomb Raider. Oh well, I'll still enjoy it and so will alot of people on this forum.

See, another person who played a so called "classic" didn't get anywhere and played Legend and got pulled back into the franchise and fandom.

Nenya awakens
23-10-08, 22:53
Boo.

classic response :vlol:

ah well, these articals will pop up.. i think underworld is looking great! and i'm very excited about it, i think crystal might have nailed it.

trtrailerman
23-10-08, 22:54
I don't believe so, Legend was a great game. It was my second Tomb Raider, I didn't want to touch the series after the game poisoning I had from AOD but after seeing trailers I wanted to play Legend and since then I've played three of the classics. Legend isn't any less of a game then the classics.

well i wud agree with u but i dont :), XD altho i understand ppl like legend Poor strange ppl

and yh i agree hes just angry coz of the 360 dlc :)

Dingaling
23-10-08, 22:55
Sorry if this sounds bad, but honestly, How is it funny he started with Legend? ;)

I think it's because Legend doesn't really capture what Tomb Raider is all about. I mean TR was always challenging, long and had you going all over the place (during first playthrough at least!) but Legend had none of that. I don't think him liking Legend is the problem, mainly the fact it's all he knows and is basing his whole article only on the previous knowledge of Legend is the problem.

It just seems to me the author at least needs to play Anniversary as that would explain some of the reasons why he can't understand what's going on.

I've heard that before but then if Uncharted is a TPS then so is TR :p. I can understand why people would label Uncharted a TPS as I said, it does focus a lot more on the Action rather than the Adventure but it also has far more adventure than a typical TPS would allow. Whatever you class it as, both Nathan and Lara are in the business of tomb raiding so it's not surprising the two are compared so much :).

Azerutan
23-10-08, 22:55
Does this guy even understand that TR has been around like 11 years, while Uncharted is a pretty recent one? More, this review is, so, so non-constructive... :confused:

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:01
Does this guy even understand that TR has been around like 11 years, while Uncharted is a pretty recent one? More, this review is, so, so non-constructive... :confused:

Probably not, but what he also doesn't realize is the people at Naughty Dog would have loved to have the rights to develop a Tomb Raider game. Which they did not so they created this character "Drake".

I think it's because Legend doesn't really capture what Tomb Raider is all about. I mean TR was always challenging, long and had you going all over the place (during first playthrough at least!) but Legend had none of that. I don't think him liking Legend is the problem, mainly the fact it's all he knows and is basing his whole article only on the previous knowledge of Legend is the problem.

The guy we are referring to was defending Underworld in direct response to the article that was linked to in the original post. But Rivendell brought up the fact that the guy defending Underworld said he started with Legend. Then I asked "What's wrong with fans who started with Legend."

larafan25
23-10-08, 23:02
Ok,well I picture this persone to be someone wearing a "gangsta" ball cap turned t5o the side of his hollow head.he/she does not understand that tomb raider is on of the first action adventure 3D games ever made and that lara not laura is one of the first female protagonists of a video game.he/she hasn't played the game I'm guessing and if he/she has it was only one level,and he/she probably resembles this "dude">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XMLrb_lQvY

All they think of games are graphics,wich I could care less of and I'm sure many others are aware that there is more to games than graphics.Also they must see this game as a women with boobs(go figure)that runs around tombs in "skimpy" clothes that are not realistic.By the way since when is tomb raider realistic???

By my standards this person should not be doing reviews for tomb raider,and that also applies to the video I posted above;)

review of bad reviews by:Julian Wilson:)

gtkilla
23-10-08, 23:04
Ok,well I picture this persone to be someone wearing a "gangsta" ball cap turned t5o the side of his hollow head.

What does that have to do with any of this?? :rolleyes:

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:05
What does that have to do with any of this?? :rolleyes:

Absolutely nothing my friend. :)

St4r
23-10-08, 23:09
I've heard that before but then if Uncharted is a TPS then so is TR :p. I can understand why people would label Uncharted a TPS as I said, it does focus a lot more on the Action rather than the Adventure but it also has far more adventure than a typical TPS would allow. Whatever you class it as, both Nathan and Lara are in the business of tomb raiding so it's not surprising the two are compared so much :).

Yes, sure. Even TR isn't comparable to the classic kind of action adventures like Another World. The line between different genres can be kinda blurry nowadays. But there's absolutely no reason to compare in a way like 'this game had this feature, but the other one doesn't, so it's crap.'.

Dingaling
23-10-08, 23:11
The guy we are referring to was defending Underworld in direct response to the article that was linked to in the original post. But Rivendell brought up the fact that the guy defending Underworld said he started with Legend. Then I asked "What's wrong with fans who started with Legend."

The guy that was defending Underworld in response to the article and said he started with Legend is the author of the article.

Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm ill but I'm not sure what you're getting at. I thought I answered the question then (with my point of view obviously)? :/

BigR4444
23-10-08, 23:11
LOL what a loser......... I just had to post on that article.....

Angelus
23-10-08, 23:13
He's bashing the game because of the word 'epic'? :confused:

I read the article and it's just really childish... he also said Legend was his first TR game and said that he really enjoyed it... make of it what you will.

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:14
The guy that was defending Underworld in response to the article and said he started with Legend is the author of the article.

Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm ill but I'm not sure what you're getting at. I thought I answered the question then (with my point of view obviously)? :/

Hmm, No your right. I'm wrong, strange it's late here too. Looks like I'm tired, but the questions still the same. What's wrong with starting with Legend. It's been said Legend doesn't capture the feeling of "Tomb Raider" but to me the feeling of "Tomb Raider" Is now how Legend was with improvements. It's all opinion I guess. I just don't think Legend should be belittled.

larafan25
23-10-08, 23:14
"What does that have to do with any of this??"

maybe not for you ,but it relates for me from MANY experiences of people that are very casual gamers that just fit the apperence not to be steriotypical;)

and also noone should compare tomb raider to uncharted,tomb raider has puzzles uncharted does'nt - unless you count shooting lanterns as puzzles....and tomb raider is not duck and cover as lara is way WAY more skilled than nate,nathan or whatever:)

danny.rex
23-10-08, 23:15
This ridiculous article is getting more attention than it deserves

He hasn't played the game, he is not familiar with the series, and he doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about... he just wants to bash TRU for some reason

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:17
This ridiculous article is getting more attention than it deserves

He hasn't played the game, he is not familiar with the series, and he doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about... he just wants to bash TRU for some reason

PS3 fanboy, Uncharted doesn't need competition in his eyes. Well he's in luck. Tomb Raider and Uncharted aren't even in the same league. :)

Angelus
23-10-08, 23:17
Hmm, No your right. I'm wrong, strange it's late here too. Looks like I'm tired, but the questions still the same. What's wrong with starting with Legend. It's been said Legend doesn't capture the feeling of "Tomb Raider" but to me the feeling of "Tomb Raider" Is now how Legend was with improvements. It's all opinion I guess. I just don't think Legend should be belittled.

It's because he first played the seventh game in a series and then thinks he can state that's how a TR game should be.

It's not a fair judgement, because he's only played one TR game.

Dingaling
23-10-08, 23:18

No worries then, it was obviously confusing when he changed his point of view so suddenly! When you said that I rechecked the article five times to make sure I was actually talking about the right person :vlol:.

I think the problem with Legend is that long-term fans were used to a very different type of Tomb Raider experience and Legend changed it. It was unisolated, it had a very fast-paced feel, it was short... in essence, it was different. I guess if you start with Legend you will experience a totally different kind of "Tomb Raider" experience and feeling rather than if you started with the first game. It does seem very much down to opinion though :).

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:19
It's because he first played the seventh game in a series and then thinks he can state that's how a TR game should be.

It's not a fair judgement, because he's only played one TR game.

But the article is bull crap, we all know that. I just don't think Legend should be belittled it is the second mother.

No worries then, it was obviously confusing when he changed his point of view so suddenly! When you said that I rechecked the article five times to make sure I was actually talking about the right person :vlol:.

I think the problem with Legend is that long-term fans were used to a very different type of Tomb Raider experience and Legend changed it. It was unisolated, it had a very fast-paced feel, it was short... in essence, it was different. I guess if you start with Legend you will experience a totally different kind of "Tomb Raider" experience and feeling rather than if you started with the first game. It does seem very much down to opinion though :).

I couldn't agree more, it all comes down to personal experiences more then anything.

Kittypower
23-10-08, 23:21
PS3 fanboy, Uncharted doesn't need competition in his eyes. Well he's in luck. Tomb Raider and Uncharted aren't even in the same league. :)

one of the reason why i like the idea of Microsoft and tomb raider, tr will never be as good as uncharted to them.

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:22
one of the reason why i like the idea of Microsoft and tomb raider, tr will never be as good as uncharted to them.

If Tomb Raider was changed to a Microsoft exclusive it would be a huge boost for the series, but at the same time it's completely unfair to long term fans who've stayed with Lara from the beginning and own a PS3.

I own both btw, 360 and PS3.

Angelus
23-10-08, 23:24
But the article is bull crap, we all know that. I just don't think Legend should be belittled it is the second mother.

I couldn't agree more, it all comes down to personal experiences more then anything.

Was Legend the first TR game you played?

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:27
Was Legend the first TR game you played?

Hah, no, AOD was and we all know that really can't count. But I said that in an earlier post.. I also said in the same post I've completed three of what are called PS1 "classics" since then.

But your also trying to make it sound like I'm biased towards Legend when in reality I believe it deserves credit for a sucessful reboot of the what was dead franchise.

Candee Sparks
23-10-08, 23:28
Anyone other than me want to send the author a huge bundle of flowers?

He seriously hit the nail with the hammer with that post, regardless of obvious errors in which he was naming. Too much hype. For once, I'd like Eidos and Crystal to stop talking about how amazing this game will be and just let it take its course when it comes out when really there isn't too much that's revolutionary about this game, as the author of that post said.

Angelus
23-10-08, 23:30
Hah, no, AOD was and we all know that really can't count. But I said that in an earlier post.. I also said in the same post I've completed three of what are called PS1 "classics" since then.

But your also trying to make it sound like I'm biased towards Legend when in reality I believe it deserves credit for a sucessful reboot of the what was dead franchise.

Ah, okay. :)

I personally first played TR 2 and then each new TR game as it was released, so I already knew in my head what to expect from a TR game. Then Legend was released and turned it on its head, so hopefully Underworld goes back to the classic TR formula but also updates and reinvents itself.

I'm not trying to make you sound biased about anything. :confused:

Rydell
23-10-08, 23:34
Ah, okay. :)

I personally first played TR 2 and then each new TR game as it was released, so I already knew in my head what to expect from a TR game. Then Legend was released and turned it on its head, so hopefully Underworld goes back to the classic TR formula but also updates and reinvents itself.

The "classic" TR formula doesn't exactly work. We know this because of the course the game had taken after TR3. Many people believe it was because the developers were tired of developing Tomb Raider games and were under too much pressure so the games quality slowly started to degrade. But the formula was still always the same. Large open spaces you could explore with difficult puzzles and a simple story to get Lara from one cool location to another. Eventually it just ran out of fuel.

They need to incorporate styles and gameplay mechanics from Legend and somewhat the classics and keep updating with new and innovative ideas, if they want Tomb Raider to remain main stream once it get's there after Underworld's release.

But I also don't want to say to much about how they should proceed with Tomb Raider games because they are doing a fine job and are heading in a beautiful direction. I don't want simple similar comments from a few people to sway anyone on the team from their current vision.

remote91
23-10-08, 23:35
He is a bit of a rubbish writer!

I really hope that isn't his day job, because half of the information he's written isn't even right about Tomb Raider.

Rachel Croft
23-10-08, 23:37
WOW............That person had no idea to what he/she was writting. They clearly need a huge update on everything cause Lara does not blow her house up...

Angelus
23-10-08, 23:39
The "classic" TR formula doesn't exactly work. We know this because of the course the game had taken after TR3. Many people believe it was because the developers were tired of developing Tomb Raider games and were under too much pressure so the games quality slowly started to degrade. But the formula was still always the same. Large open spaces you could explore with difficult puzzles and a simple story to get Lara from one cool location to another. Eventually it just ran out of fuel.

They need to incorporate styles and gameplay mechanics from Legend and somewhat the classics and keep updating with new and innovative ideas, if they want Tomb Raider to remain main stream once it gets there after Underworld's release.

But I also don't want to say to much about how they should proceed with Tomb Raider games because they are doing a fine job and are heading in a beautiful direction. I don't want simple similar comments from a few people to sway anyone on the team from their current vision.

While I agree with you, I think that parts of the classic formula and Legend's formula needs to be balanced to get the perfect TR experience. Like you said, the formula was getting a bit tired and if the games are just churned out (much like what was starting to happen) then people will just forget about TR and move onto the next big thing.

Candee Sparks
23-10-08, 23:40
WOW............That person had no idea to what he/she was writting. They clearly need a huge update on everything cause Lara does not blow her house up...

The average person doesn't know details like we do. And judging by how sick he/she is of the story line, the twist that infact it is not Lara will only prove their point.

TRhalloween
23-10-08, 23:41

He seriously hit the nail with the hammer with that post, regardless of obvious errors in which he was naming. Too much hype. For once, I'd like Eidos and Crystal to stop talking about how amazing this game will be and just let it take its course when it comes out when really there isn't too much that's revolutionary about this game, as the author of that post said.

I would send him some Nettles disguised as flowers. :mad:

St4r
23-10-08, 23:45

Too much hype? You've probably not seen the Diablo III hype yet. :)

Rachel Croft
23-10-08, 23:48
The average person doesn't know details like we do. And judging by how sick he/she is of the story line, the twist that infact it is not Lara will only prove their point.

Yes, I know that, but when a person does a review or something like that, they need to do research. Obviousely they didn't.

Shark_Blade
23-10-08, 23:49
Ah, just a crappy article. Nothing to worry about. It's probably written by a 6 year old boy having too much time in his hand.

I thought it was a genuine article from IGN, Gamespot or something.. :)

Troy
23-10-08, 23:49
I hope Tomb Raider Underworld is the best Tomb Raider game ever now.

Troy
23-10-08, 23:52
Yeah, it is probably just a young kid who typed that article.

iamlaracroft
23-10-08, 23:52
Tomb Raider Milking The Cash Cow, Tomb Raider The Quest For More Money, Tomb Raider Lara’s Bogus Journey,
Tomb Raider Beating The Already Beaten Dead Horse
:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

One trailer goes on to say “Some ruins should never be discovered”. I say “Some games should never be made”:vlol:
omg beating the already beaten dead horse had me in stitches!!
finally an author who doesn't think the sun shines out of Crystal's ass :whi:

Kittypower
23-10-08, 23:53
:vlol:

you agree with him:mad:

Borges
23-10-08, 23:53
I am invulnerable to this kind of blather - it's so overwhelmingly - and for that matter laughably - anti TRU that it's impossible to take seriously.

MMAN
23-10-08, 23:59
Commented; the fact that Legend is the only TR they've played explains this (and actually makes it understandable).

Ranshiin
24-10-08, 00:05
I've been a fan from the games since the very beginning and I can say I'm honestly pleased at how Underworld is turning out. While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I believe that the game should be given a chance before dismissing it as a piece of trash.

Sweets
24-10-08, 00:07
I've been a fan from the games since the very beginning and I can say I'm honestly pleased at how Underworld is turning out. While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I believe that the game should be given a chance before dismissing it as a piece of trash.

:tmb: Well said :)

Anarae
24-10-08, 00:11
His butchering of a game he knows nothing about drops the value of his opinion to zero.

He should play the game before making ignorant conclusions. All of his complaints are about information he doesn't know. What all raiders should know. He doesn't know who Natla is? Really? Do your homework, Danny. You look like a silly middle schooler.

The epic part was a bit spot on, though. :P

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

It had me in stitches as well. Perhaps I have a strange sense of humour.

He's wrong on that account. The sun absolutely shines out of Crystal's ass. You can't make Tomb Raider without sunshine. ;)

Aphrodite22
24-10-08, 00:31
what a *******

Endow
24-10-08, 00:36
ps3attitude

Nuff said.

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 00:37

Right on, girl. :tmb:

RaidingTombs95
24-10-08, 00:41

Totally agreed. The article was just pathetic . I'm starting to get very ****ed off at the TRU haters. seriously

Quasimodo
24-10-08, 00:42
Totally agreed. The article was just pathetic . I'm starting to get very ****ed off at the TRU haters. Why talk bad about it if you never played the game.:hea:

Why worship it when you never played the game?

Kittypower
24-10-08, 00:43

Because we can:p

Quasimodo
24-10-08, 00:45
Because we can:p

Odd. The bashers seem to be more tolerant of people having different opinions than the worshipers.

interstellardave
24-10-08, 00:46
I guess I have to offend people that actually agree with this poorly thought out tripe... but that's the stupidest "list" I've ever seen.

Out of 6 reasons TRU "will tank" THREE ARE THE SAME (the story)! And a fourth "reason" is THE TITLE?! WTF??? :confused:

Is he kidding with this crap? :rolleyes:

Kittypower
24-10-08, 00:47
Odd. The bashers seem to be more tolerant of people having different opinions than the worshipers.

Which one am I:confused:

Quasimodo
24-10-08, 00:52
I guess I have to offend people that actually agree with this poorly thought out tripe... but that's the stupidest "list" I've ever seen.

Out of 6 reasons TRU "will tank" THREE ARE THE SAME (the story)! And a fourth "reason" is THE TITLE?! WTF??? :confused:

Is he kidding with this crap? :rolleyes:

It does give us some idea of what a casual gamer sees vs. what a TR fan sees. If I weren't familiar with the series, I'd probably say the same thing - "Kratos did it!" Then I'd think "Ooh, pretty locations." but nothing else would stand out much.

interstellardave
24-10-08, 00:52

He can have any opinion he wants... but I wasn't even slightly moved by his so-called "list". He may think the game is going to tank but he doesn't even have 6 reasons, as he claims, he has 3 and they aren't convincingly articulated IMO. The story... Okay, the story could be bad, any story could... we'll just have to see... few games have truly great stories anyway, though, and it doesn't stop people from liking them.

Also, if people are always going to bash TR for "not being innovative enough" and then also compare it negatively to Uncharted, perhaps they can explain in what way Uncharted was innovative??? I'm waiting...

It does give us some idea of what a casual gamer sees vs. what a TR fan sees. If I weren't familiar with the series, I'd probably say the same thing - "Kratos did it!" Then I'd think "Ooh, pretty locations." but nothing else would stand out much.Not much, save pretty graphics, distinguished Uncharted either... yet it's beloved by many--and seems to be the weapon commonly used against TR these days.

Endow
24-10-08, 01:03
It does give us some idea of what a casual gamer sees vs. what a TR fan sees. If I weren't familiar with the series, I'd probably say the same thing - "Kratos did it!" Then I'd think "Ooh, pretty locations." but nothing else would stand out much.

Good thing casual gamers liked Legend and Anniversary then.

Azerutan
24-10-08, 01:07

The same goes for the complaining part ;)

ColdCaseDetK
24-10-08, 01:13
That was the probably the stupidest review I have ever heard in my whole enitre life. That person obviously isn't a fan and therefore shouldn't even be bashing the game the way he was. He just acted like an idiot. No one listen to this dumb ass. I'm sure TRU will rock. This person is just a disgrace.

Lenochka
24-10-08, 01:13
The guy sounds like a complete goon.
He made it completely obvious that he had no idea what the hell he was going on about and just made a ton of assumptions on information that has already been mentioned in various articles and such... Wonder why he can't search a little more about it before writing it off so easily.

The_Arimaspian
24-10-08, 01:16
Eh, very petty arguments. The only point which really counts - and which I agree with to an extent - is the 'lack of gameplay improvements'. But then, I'm still just waiting for them to produce some decent puzzles first.

Quasimodo
24-10-08, 01:16
The same goes for the complaining part ;)

That was my point for the people complaining about complainers in the first place.

danny.rex
24-10-08, 01:22
If the basher actually had good points, and would have searched a little about TRU, his complains would be acceptable.

Is like if I start bashing Uncharted right now, I have no clue about that game only for a few things I've seen, and I'm not interested in it, but doesn't mean I'm going to complain about it

Quasimodo
24-10-08, 01:24
If the basher actually had good points, and would have searched a little about TRU, his complains would be acceptable.

Is like if I start bashing Uncharted right now, I have no clue about that game only for a few things I've seen, and I'm not interested in it, but doesn't mean I'm going to complain about it

What would be a good point to bash TRU about, in the eyes of so many who adore the game already?

danny.rex
24-10-08, 01:52
You tell me, since you seem to don't like it at all.

The guy complains about the use of the word EPIC, which doesn't affect the game at all.
He complains of the use of the motion-capture because Lara will do more unnescesary acrobatics, really?
Then he complains about the name, because he says underworld is unrelated to the story, again really?
And to finish he complains because he doesn't have a clue about the story, what I've heard and seen so far makes sence to me, besides, nobody can't know if the story is good or not without playing the game

ben croft
24-10-08, 01:54
I'm not reading 'cause I'm so gonna get this ****ing game. It's amazing!

:tmb:

Altistar
24-10-08, 01:56
I don't think this game will tank. ;)

Evan C.
24-10-08, 01:58
A nice form to get some public....but,Lara is famous,rich,beautiful and a Best Seller.
This guy....(if is a guy)needs to critic years of job to feel himself cool.

jeremyANDROGYNY
24-10-08, 01:59
I don't think this game will tank. ;)
Neither do I Altistar, I think it looks great. Although, I could be wrong, we'll just have to wait until its release. Either way, I'm going to get it. Its a Tomb Raider game :)

Quasimodo
24-10-08, 02:06
You tell me, since you seem to don't like it at all.

The guy complains about the use of the word EPIC, which doesn't affect the game at all.
He complains of the use of the motion-capture because Lara will do more unnescesary acrobatics, really?
Then he complains about the name, because he says underworld is unrelated to the story, again really?
And to finish he complains because he doesn't have a clue about the story, what I've heard and seen so far makes sence to me, besides, nobody can't know if the story is good or not without playing the game
Oh bother.

That's just the thing - a person complains or criticizes one or a few things about the game and suddenly people see them as a person who likes nothing about the game and is likely impossible to please anyhow.

HollabackBoy
24-10-08, 02:16
People have already posted this, but I'll post it again:

To author:

Once the game is out, and it sucks, I give you the right to bash and troll all you want, but please buy the game before you go about bashing the hottest chick in games.

Enough said. :rolleyes:

Altistar
24-10-08, 02:18
Neither do I Altistar, I think it looks great. Although, I could be wrong, we'll just have to wait until its release. Either way, I'm going to get it. Its a Tomb Raider game :)

Me too, I can't wait! ;)

danny.rex
24-10-08, 02:32
Oh bother.

That's just the thing - a person complains or criticizes one or a few things about the game and suddenly people see them as a person who likes nothing about the game and is likely impossible to please anyhow.

That's why I said "seems", I don't know if you do like some aspects of the game.
It just seems that way, since you are defending this pointless bashing article.

I do respect valid complaining, like the white ledges for example (which seem to be fully gone)

HollabackBoy
24-10-08, 02:44

So bloody true. The fact that Legend was the first Tomb Raider game the author played really tells a story. Legend was very much an action-based game as Unchartered, so I can understand completely why he's comparing the two. What he doesn't understand is that the main chunk of the (true) Tomb Raider formula consists of exploration and adventuring; Legend was the anomaly. Don't get me wrong, Legend was not a bad game on its own, but it wasn't 'Tomb Raider.'

Kento
24-10-08, 03:09

I agree . TR and Uncharted are quite different games, and I love both . I don't understand why people keeps comparing them .

Anyway... It doesn't worth the pain paying atention to a person who is bashing ( new word for me, I learn a lot in this forum :) ) a game if he didn't even play it .

b0bb13
24-10-08, 04:12

Yes,that's very true,but unfortunately,they're too stupid to realize that Uncharted is Gears of War in a jungle with some jumps and.......puzzles?No you can't even call them that.:p

The guy's an idiot obviously.The closer we are to playing TRU the more I'm starting to think that it's going to be truly EPIC! >=D

GodOfLight
24-10-08, 04:20
As much as it pains me to say this... this article is spot on, and I couldn't agree more.

i feel the same way.

not only does this appear to be the worst-marketed tomb raider game to date (i always wondered what CD were hiding in constantly delaying the act of showing us anything... oh... maybe because like in legend THERE REALLY ISNT THAT MUCH TO SHOW! except in legend they just showed us everything there was, minus the end cutscene :p)

this game does not look epic, or dark, or ground-breaking in any way. i hope i am proven wrong. i look forward every day to playing a new tomb raider game, so of course i want to love this game and i hope i do. but so far it just looks like an exact rehash of everything CD did wrong with legend.

and am i the only one who thinks motion capture looks much WORSE then the normal hand-animations from legend and anniversary? :confused:

Tear
24-10-08, 04:36
What a dumb****.

I can't wait to have Underworld.

ACSSNK
24-10-08, 04:57

So what?^^

I like Uncharted and I love Tomb Raider. Isn't it possible to like both game?

Kiss-Bite
24-10-08, 05:13
I have the feeling that TRU is going to be this year's biggest surprise. Expectations are low, everyone is looking at Gears of War, Little Big Planet and Prince of Persia. However, I think TRU might just steal the show. Everything new I see from the game just makes me think it will surpass the originals in many ways. The talent involved is astounding.

I won't even comment on that pathetic "article".

Mirror's Edge is also out at the same time which I wouldn't underestimate.;)

I don't really agree with that article but fun reading it. Uncharted is a great game but the only thing it really has in common with Tomb Raider is that it's an adventure, with some wow moments.:cln:

Gameplay is very different, Uncharted is more combat & TR more platforming. I actually think there isn't a game like Tomb Raider out on the PS3 so it will be a nice addition to the PS3 catologue.:D

Just.tim
24-10-08, 05:25
This game will not fail

I am the most stingey person when it comes to spending my money. I hate gaming, its such a waste of time.

but

Even the first screens of this game got me hooked on it. Right now im bidding on an xbox 360 with my hard earned money just so i can play this game and find out what happens. just so i can play the one game, spending up to 500 dollars for one game, its crazy but im soo pumped for this game. Tomb Raider underworld is winning people over and it hasnt even been released yet.

One article saying it will fail? pshhh the story is great, the animations are great, the graphics are great, everything is perfect

dont hate ******es

Delamo1999
24-10-08, 05:52
That was the probably the stupidest review I have ever heard in my whole enitre life. That person obviously isn't a fan and therefore shouldn't even be bashing the game the way he was. He just acted like an idiot. No one listen to this dumb ass. I'm sure TRU will rock. This person is just a disgrace.

I agree on this. We have all been waiting so long and patiently for this game so I am not going to let some goon force their negative opinion about the game on me. I really do not like to read reviews because I like to follow my own intuitions about something, whether it be a game, movie, book. Many times when the "critics" bash something that I am interested in, I end up really liking what they bashed.

I read some bad reviews about Legend, yet I really had a blast playing the game (save for the last minute of the motorcycle chase in KAZAKHSTAN) and will play it again.

All I can say is F it to this goon as I have already pre-ordered my copy of Underworld from Amazon; I could give a rat's ass about what they think. I am really looking forward to exploring Lara's new adventures.

:D

RAID
24-10-08, 05:59
Well, most of the points in the article are nonsense. We still don't know the story, so bashing the title or the locations is just stupid.

I agree with the author on the gameplay enhancements though. Melee attacks, wall climbing and all the "new" moves where done back in AOD, and removed and replaced by ledge hopping for some stupid reason in Legend. Nothing really to boast about I'm afraid. And we're still waiting for those Monkey Bars to return. But they'll probably drag them until TR9 or 10 :rolleyes:

I'm surprised he didn't mention her super fast animations though.

Final word: The only similarities that Tomb Raider and Uncharted have is a character that can interact with a part of the environments, shoot, and occasionally explore a ruin. But other than that, they're totally different.

Hence why I prefer Tomb Raider. Less shooting, more brainstorming. If any game should take notes, it's Uncharted.

croft94
24-10-08, 06:06

TRJTA
24-10-08, 07:59
Ok, that guy is just lame :ohn: There are also 3 things definitely NOT true:

-this game has definitely NOTHING to do with the movie! Even the title of the game for that matter. Come on, he doesn't even know WHAT the titles of the movies are. I mean...the first movie DIDN'T even HAVE a subtitle, it was just: Lara Croft Tomb Raider. And I don't see how that is the same as: Tomb Raider Underworld, apart from the title Tomb Raider :cen: But if he doesn't even know that that is necessary then I guess he is the dumbest person on earth. Anyway, point 2:

-Stories of games are ALWAYS made up so the developers can decide to tie different locations like Thailand and the Med together.

-he is just dumbass that he doesn't know that voice is Natla, immidiately connecting it to stupidity of random characters or lover and the movie.

Ah well, why do I waste time on this loser :ton:

Tomb of Legends
24-10-08, 08:02
He obviously is a Post AOD fan. No wonder he is an idiot. Try playing old school TR.

Achilles_DS
24-10-08, 08:04

thank god you're not in marketing.

na_th_an
24-10-08, 08:39
Exactly... Since when it's a bad thing that companies try to promote their games? :rolleyes:

Besides, name just 1 action-adventure game which is "revolutionary". No way. I wonder what do people expect about an action adventure game to complain that TRU is not "revolutionary enough"...

ivannnnn
24-10-08, 08:53
Well if Lara deserves to to have it, I don't mind. :p
I have some more games that I'm attracted to than TR. Anyway I still want to buy TR cause I like this game.

Poor Lara, being made fun of. :tea:

SirAlbert
24-10-08, 09:40
I think the true problem is not the fact that this guy is criticizing TRU so much (even though he didn't played yet...so how can you tell? :whi:)...the problem is just prejudice and the idea that one's way of fun can be better than another's...What about if we, TR players, like the idea of making a lot of gymnastic jumps, etc. in the forrest as it's raining and nothing else happens? Would this guy think of us we're stupid or what? I mean, c'mon, it's very silly to assume that your way of playing games or even the games you play are better.

However, I also know that it's all about money in games industry...So the success of a game is valued on the copies it has sold and not on the emotions it has given to the players (something, thankGod, you can't measure and you cannot buy)...But, in some way, I think that each one of us should have the right to play what he (or she) prefers without being judged in a silly way like this.

About the arguments he used...One of the things TR introduced to the world of games it's the fact that you could explore a 3D environment using new skills and abilities. Maybe this guy forgets that his beloved Uncharted, as beautiful as it might be, is a son (not the father) of TR - such as it is for a lot of other games that now assume to be better than TR...This is what I call bad information.

Anyway, the arguments he used were very stupid, so I won't go further.

Guys, if we like TR, let's keep on playing it and such silly arguments as the one we've just read will have space, but no importance. :p

moodydog
24-10-08, 09:47
well...
you cant really write what he has just put because

a) you are only allowed to REVIEW a game once you played it, you cant really say it is **** beforehand. Its seems to me he wrote a review, and thats impossible for him to do.
b) totall apselute AOD fan!!! :p :p :p

Laras Lil Bro
24-10-08, 11:05
is he had the slightest clue about tomb raider he wouldnt ask who said 'im very pleased to see you lara' or which god shes going to kill. all the tomb raider fans and anyone with half a brain cell knows its natla. this guy need to keep hes reviews to subject ha actually knows about instead of talking ******** about something he has no idea about.

Tomb of Legends
24-10-08, 11:07
Heres one reason it wont.

Epic. :cln:

Smog
24-10-08, 11:15
I can think of plenty of reasons why it could fail and he didn't mention a single one of them, instead choosing to focus on the mundane and trivial. Pft. :rolleyes:

Piega
24-10-08, 11:33
It's pure bashing. No one can say anything before the game is out. I dont know uncharted, I'll bet it is a good game but you cannot compare the two without one being released.

I dont compare games. You can only compare in the same franchise. Oh Rayman used to be in a jungle environment too, is it copied?

In the end all games exist out of pushing buttons in some order. You like it or not.

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 12:06
Well personally, I don't think TRU will fail. Sure, I do feel like it's not going to be very popular as far as reviews go (though I'd love to be wrong), simply because it's not next gen, and doesn't seem up to par with everything else out there.

However, what will keep it from utterly failing is the huge, loyal fanbase that will buy the game even if it's crap. Heck, I think the gameplay looks pathetic, but I'm still gonna buy it because I'm a fan. :p

Piega
24-10-08, 12:40
However, what will keep it from utterly failing is the huge, loyal fanbase that will buy the game even if it's crap. Heck, I think the gameplay looks pathetic, but I'm still gonna buy it because I'm a fan. :p

That's rediculous. I'm a fan, I played everything gold levels included but I refused to buy Angel of Darkness. Yes, that's the only game I dont have not even from the games sales bin.

I think Underworld will be what you will experience out of it. No review can fight that. It's the personal experience. But I guess it's the same with music. The more people say the song is bad you will not like it either in the end while you may have liked it just before.

I think players are spoiled. There are still people happy with custom levels you know :)

*laralover*
24-10-08, 13:21
Well that was lame :rolleyes: Always trying to compare TR to Uncharted aswell.

Grenade
24-10-08, 13:31
I found it pretty laughable actually.

tranniversary119
24-10-08, 13:36
I didn't even have to read the whole thing, hmm more like 6 reasons adventure games are not for you. People are mixing the idea up that Tomb Raider is an ACTION title when hmm ITS NOT!

FourBalls
24-10-08, 13:46
Lmfao, actually it was all pretty funny. Especially this part:
"If they realized that this latest (epic) game has really nothing (epic) to bring to the table, at least they can hype the (epic) crap out of it.

Epic."

And no I'm not a TRU basher, I actually think this game is going to be pretty good. :) But yeah, nice read that article :p

Rileigh
24-10-08, 13:50
Thing is, all these reasons can be true, but does anybody actually care enough to not buy the game?? Even if it were terrible I'd still buy it :D

Rydell
24-10-08, 13:52
I'm surprised this thread is still on the go. I figured people would just consider the article garbage and stop commenting lol.

dinahcat
24-10-08, 13:54
6 reasons why this article tanked:
by dinahcat

1. The attitude - most likely written by someone who started playing TR around Legend and has "Mommy-issues" of their own. (Think "joan crawford")

2. The word choices - this person probably never took a journalism class, or an English writing class, or a creative writing class... Oh, and i don't think Lara is a LOLCAT...she doesn't say "o noes..." Idiot...

3. Not a fanboy - this person probably doesn't like this genre of games. Go bck to your Peggle, now, please...

4. Doesn't understand the loyalty of Lara fans - un there's more us US then YOU, Mr. ArticleWriterPerson.

5. Must be an Emo - it's all doom and gloom for you, isn't it? Or maybe you're just ****ed off b/c you don't get the DLC on PS3...well....I WON'T EITHER and I'm not snotty about it.

6. Has a general distaste for the word EPIC - you had to even slam that word. well...I hope you get to eat your words...EPICALLY!

b0bb13
24-10-08, 13:57
^ROFL!:vlol:

Mirror's Edge is also out at the same time which I wouldn't underestimate.;)

Gameplay is very different, Uncharted is more combat & TR more platforming. I actually think there isn't a game like Tomb Raider out on the PS3 so it will be a nice addition to the PS3 catologue.:D

Mirror's Edge is already hyped(but not over-hyped),imo,so it wouldn't be a surprise:p.
I'm not saying that it's gonna be bad.It's gonna be a great game,and I can't wait to play it.:)

Yeah,that's quite true.:D
And I doubt there will be another game that will have the TR feeling.....maybe that Lindsay game.:cln:

tranniversary119
24-10-08, 13:58
I'm getting sick of people expecting TRU to be pure action-fest when they forget there are some games out there that focus on adventure more.

Rydell
24-10-08, 14:09
Well personally, I don't think TRU will fail. Sure, I do feel like it's not going to be very popular as far as reviews go (though I'd love to be wrong), simply because it's not next gen, and doesn't seem up to par with everything else out there.

You cant' say this game is not next gen. It looks amazing.

http://i35.************/1zclu6f.jpg
http://i35.************/28gy354.jpg

A lot of games comming out for 360 and PS3 do not look that great. TRU blows a lot of games out of the water graphics wise. Even some people at EBgames saw the advertising video and said how amazing the graphics look. CASUAL gamers mind you.

cococomics_pres
24-10-08, 14:39
I'm a bit late in the game but I thought I'd add my two cents:
I completely disagree with the author.
1) The voice is CLEARLY Natla, as anyone with knowledge of Anniversary or the subject they're writing about might know.
2) She's going to UNDERWORLDS. Hence "TR Underworld"
3) Okay so they do say epic a lot.
4) For me that's an interesting feature. All these weird locations are going to be somehow tied together. It fits with the whole theme of unified mythology and such.
5) That paragraph just sounds pretentious. It may not be a huge deal to the gaming world as a whole, but it is definitely a step for the series.
6) Oh noez another game had a character killing a god! It can never be done again! Also how is it jumping the shark if another game comes out and copies ideas? Does that then mean TR is unoriginal?

Sorry, felt the need to vent my feelings on the article in a list.

Lara.Jolie7
24-10-08, 14:55
Well
Looks like he didn't played Anniversary

He can even recorganize Natla's voice...

Well
He just play one game of a 10 years serie and judge by things he know seeing in the trailers...?

Who is that guy anyway?

tranniversary119
24-10-08, 14:56
Well
Looks like he didn't played Anniversary

He can even recorganize Natla's voice...

Well
He just play one game of a 10 years serie and judge by things he know seeing in the trailers...?

Who is that guy anyway?

An idiot :rolleyes:

Tthe Spirit
24-10-08, 15:06
wHat is with him?

Actually, the story of Underworld is really nice...
it is more than her mother...
it is about civilizations and how they are all united, coming from the same source...
facts behind myths and ancient religions...
This is the thesis for my diploma specialization...
TRU will have many surprises ;)
Yes TRU is EPIC

You know, he seems some idiot who is just jealous...

I mean, did you even read the options he gave for Natla's voice...
What an idiot...
he reminds me of ym brother :p
My brother and I fight like this, but this is just at home..
like bro to br talking...
But ths man is soooooo crazy...
Just jealous of the fame of TR...

Heckler
24-10-08, 15:31
Tomb Raider was already done in HD for the PS3, but at that time Lara Croft had a shlong and went by the name Nathan Drake.

Smog
24-10-08, 15:39
6) Oh noez another game had a character killing a god! It can never be done again!

Come to think of it, didn't Lara already kinda kill a God about five games ago? Hmmm.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
24-10-08, 15:45
Well personally, I don't think TRU will fail. Sure, I do feel like it's not going to be very popular as far as reviews go (though I'd love to be wrong), simply because it's not next gen
No, its current gen ;).

I think it looks great honestly, I don't know what some people are expecting from it, everything from the water, to the environments to Lara herself all look great to me.

LaraCrazyness
24-10-08, 15:57
What a freak the author is :L

Sekhraider
24-10-08, 16:04
Come to think of it, didn't Lara already kinda kill a God about five games ago? Hmmm.

If you're referring to TRLR, she didnt kill Anubis, she simply enslaved him b/c you cant kill him. Were there other immortal beings? I'll have to take a look back lol. I kind of wonder what wouldve happened if Horus really came to life and Anubis hadnt taken over his host statue.

iamlaracroft
24-10-08, 16:15
To those of you who are Crystal fans, no, you're absolutely right, TRU will not tank. TRU will undoubtedly be the best so far in the series...to you.

But, and while there are always exceptions to such generalities as I'm about to propose, those of you who do prefer Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider seem to fit a drastically different mold from those of us who do not hold CD in such esteem.

Generally, but not always, you are between the ages of 8 and 15 and consider yourself a casual gamer at best.
Not a hardcore fan of the Tomb Raider game series, you enjoy the TR movies starring Angelina Jolie.
You don't play Tomb Raider exclusively--you aren't "loyal" to the series, as you don't own every TR and instead play/prefer dozens of other games.
You also either haven't played the Classics (TR's I-III), played the entire series out of order or still haven't played some TR titles at all.
Most importantly, you consider the classics "too hard" or "too long", graphically sub-par, and the storylines don't hold your interest for very long, if at all.

You are virtually the very anthithesis of us "Core fans", though again (for the contrarians amongst us) I will stress that there is always ample room for exception :mis:

Generally, but not always, the Core fan ranges in age from 22 to 100.
We consider ourselves hardcore gamers, hardcore fans of the Tomb Raider series and play few other titles besides TR.
To a certain extent, we ascribe to the belief that Lara's attitude was "bad ass" and "unapologetic" in the classics--greatly contrasting her attitude in TRL/A.
We played the Tomb Raider series in complete (or very near) consequential order, our favorite often being TRI, II or III (and sometimes IV).
While we've seen the movies with Angelina Jolie, we do not think highly of them, nor do we feel that they were accurate depictions of the Tomb Raider game. To put it bluntly, we're not fans of the Hollywood-type blockbuster genre.
And, most importantly, we do not consider TRs I-IV "too hard" or "too long", but rather challenging and intellectually stimulating.
We're not concerned with graphics, next-gen/current-gen, flashy images or being able to pirouet-round off-somersault-back hand spring across an urban city rooftop.
We prefer interesting puzzles over soap opera-style storylines, challenging non-linear gameplay over unlockable outfits, organic enemy combat versus interactive cutscenes.

Of course, we Core fans realize we are the minority now, and perhaps, always have been.
Yes, Tomb Raider has been wildly successful but we can't deny the cult-like quality the series and its tried-and-true fans seem to attract.
And of course, we each are multidimensional individuals who don't always fit cookie-cutter molds--many fall into the increasingly large "grey area" that unites both Crystal and Core fans together.
Don't worry, the Core fans have no delusions that TR will again one day be resurrected in the hands of its once most qualified designer. We have seen our beloved series rise and fall, rise again and, well, fall again.
We will be here to the very end, buying each and every TR game made available to us, despite our evident disappointment with the great departure we feel TRL/A is from the Tomb Raider essence.
Despite the unnecessary liberties we feel CD has taken with our beloved game, we're still gonna buy TRU.
We just already know that it will be a souped up Legend, and that saddens us.

http://i35.************/1zclu6f.jpg
http://i35.************/28gy354.jpg

I never thought I'd say this but after seeing the two compared, Legend Lara looks a HELLUVA lot better than Underworld Lara.
Really, what happened to her trademark ruddy auburn hair?
The long braid?
What's with this bland, mousy dark blonde ponytail and short side-part bangs?
She's so unremarkable now...so utterly forgettable with that hair color and ponytail.
She's just so...pedestrian.

And before you Crystal fanboys n girls start accusing me of "bashing" something so "insignificant"-- my point is that (for me) Lara is hardly recognizable anymore.
Honestly--genuinely--when I saw those two pics side by side I thought I was looking at TRU Lara vs Classic Lara, and I can honestly say I prefer classic Lara in every way--looks, attitude, abilities, the whole nine yards.

interstellardave
24-10-08, 16:25
^^^ Please refrain from catagorizing people with generalizations... frankly it sounds dumb every time someone does it. Mentioning that "there are exceptions" hardly helps either.

I don't even think that your points are "generally" true... and they are condescending at best... and, yes, I played TR1 the day it came out, and it remains my favorite one in the series. Yet I don't mind the changes made, and am looking forward to TRU which obviously represents CD's best TR effort, as opposed to Legend where they were feeling their way along... and EIDOS was merely trying to cash in. TRU appears to be an artistic effort, and one which hopefully will satisfy most TR fans... even ones who are sticklers to the point that they complain about her hair... HER HAIR, for Gods' sake!

Quasimodo
24-10-08, 16:26
My main quip is with the way any criticism of TRU is viewed as heresy. C'mon, it's not like Eidos gives you a free copy of the game for defending their honour on a forum.

Blind fandom...

interstellardave
24-10-08, 16:30
My main quip is with the way any criticism of TRU is viewed as heresy. C'mon, it's not like Eidos gives you a free copy of the game for defending their honour on a forum.

Blind fandom...

This topic here, however, was devoted to a guy who didn't make one good point, IMO. Now that's just my opinion as well, but even people who agree with him cite better arguments than his. His list was ridiculous nearly from begining to end.

Blind hate. Some are so stubborn they will refuse to like TRU, even if it would turn out to be one of the best games ever... 'cause it's not Cores' TR... or Lara.

Sekhraider
24-10-08, 16:32
The author seems to jump the gun but he does make a point about TR having the same old same old in its graphics and storyline. I would like to see something different. Not that TRU wont bring that variety, but I would like to see something different and more of a well planned story.

I didnt like that other poster calling people in Carribbean, 'negroes' wtf was up with that. And that fact that he responded by saying "should I have called them African-Americans?" What an idiot. I would love to send a nice message to that person, "Learn to call people by the more PC term not old terms that are outdated and offensive".:mad:

interstellardave
24-10-08, 16:34
The author seems to jump the gun but he does make a point about TR having the same old same old in its graphics and storyline. I would like to see something different. Not that TRU wont bring that variety, but I would like to see something different and more of a well planned story.

How can the graphics be "different"? They are a perfect representation of locations around the world, both real and semi-real. As for the story no-one can criticize (or defend it, frankly) until we experience it. Obviously, for not wanting to ruin the story, we only have bits of it right now.

MMAN
24-10-08, 16:41
To those of you who are Crystal fans, no, you're absolutely right, TRU will not tank. TRU will undoubtedly be the best so far in the series...to you.

But, and while there are always exceptions to such generalities as I'm about to propose, those of you who do prefer Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raider seem to fit a drastically different mold from those of us who do not hold CD in such esteem.

Generally, but not always, you are between the ages of 8 and 15 and consider yourself a casual gamer at best.
Not a hardcore fan of the Tomb Raider game series, you enjoy the TR movies starring Angelina Jolie.
You don't play Tomb Raider exclusively--you aren't "loyal" to the series, as you don't own every TR and instead play/prefer dozens of other games.
You also either haven't played the Classics (TR's I-III), played the entire series out of order or still haven't played some TR titles at all.
Most importantly, you consider the classics "too hard" or "too long", graphically sub-par, and the storylines don't hold your interest for very long, if at all.

You are virtually the very anthithesis of us "Core fans", though again (for the contrarians amongst us) I will stress that there is always ample room for exception :mis:

Generally, but not always, the Core fan ranges in age from 22 to 100.
We consider ourselves hardcore gamers, hardcore fans of the Tomb Raider series and play few other titles besides TR.
To a certain extent, we ascribe to the belief that Lara's attitude was "bad ass" and "unapologetic" in the classics--greatly contrasting her attitude in TRL/A.
We played the Tomb Raider series in complete (or very near) consequential order, our favorite often being TRI, II or III (and sometimes IV).
While we've seen the movies with Angelina Jolie, we do not think highly of them, nor do we feel that they were accurate depictions of the Tomb Raider game. To put it bluntly, we're not fans of the Hollywood-type blockbuster genre.
And, most importantly, we do not consider TRs I-IV "too hard" or "too long", but rather challenging and intellectually stimulating.
We're not concerned with graphics, next-gen/current-gen, flashy images or being able to pirouet-round off-somersault-back hand spring across an urban city rooftop.
We prefer interesting puzzles over soap opera-style storylines, challenging non-linear gameplay over unlockable outfits, organic enemy combat versus interactive cutscenes

Is this some sort of parody? Not even the "there are exceptions" thing saves this, because it's just so wrong. I think we've just hit the nadir of crazy generalisations.

Smog
24-10-08, 16:42
If you're referring to TRLR, she didnt kill Anubis, she simply enslaved him b/c you cant kill him. Were there other immortal beings? I'll have to take a look back lol. I kind of wonder what wouldve happened if Horus really came to life and Anubis hadnt taken over his host statue.

You mean Set? No, I suppose you're right. :o

Evan C.
24-10-08, 16:42
People get so rude when it's about TR.Come on,it's a game...we can not compare TR1 or TR2 to the new ones,we are talking about differents worlds.Besides,play a game exactly to TR1(same movements,gameplay,etc)but with now-a-days graphics would be absolutely boring.

Sekhraider
24-10-08, 16:46
How can the graphics be "different"? They are a perfect representation of locations around the world, both real and semi-real. As for the story no-one can criticize (or defend it, frankly) until we experience it. Obviously, for not wanting to ruin the story, we only have bits of it right now.
Yup variation as to stories. Graphics, ahh, can always be updated and upgrated. But Storylines are always the ones that make the game that much better. I like the idea of Lara traveling to various places to hunt down artifacts and in doing so connecting one civilization to another. I like it. But I think what the author was getting at, was that TR's formula for that is getting dull. What gets me, is if he's only played TRL then how does he know the TR formula? Is he talking about the soap-operish story that CD devised in TRL and making Lara an emotionally driven person? All the stories (TR-AOD) up to til TRL were interesting all in themselves but TRL seemed more Hollywood than original. I think that the author shouldve been more specific and used more facts. I hope TRU's storyline is great and EPIC lol. But if its boring and dull, I wont trust CD in making anymore TR games. As far as Im concerned thats what makes Tomb Raider work. The story and the overall plot. If thats not good and forgettable then there would not be a point in picking up anymore TR titles.

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 16:58

A lot of games comming out for 360 and PS3 do not look that great. TRU blows a lot of games out of the water graphics wise. Even some people at EBgames saw the advertising video and said how amazing the graphics look. CASUAL gamers mind you.

Firstly, that's a render, not in game. And second, I wasn't referring to graphics, I was referring to the gameplay. TRU's gameplay is not next gen (or "this" gen)... It's like Legend 2.0. Worked for last generation, but definitely not now.

I feel insulted, as a gamer, to even be expected to consider this game up to par with everything else currently out there, or coming out at around the same time. It's childsplay in comparison.

My first impression of the 10 minute video was the fear of enduring another AOD failure all over again... only worse.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
24-10-08, 17:03
Firstly, that's a render, not gameplay. And second, I wasn't referring to graphics, I was referring to the gameplay. TRU's gameplay is not next gen... It's like Legend 2.0.
How do you mean? What would make the gameplay more 'next gen' in your view?

touchthesky
24-10-08, 17:03
And before you Crystal fanboys n girls start accusing me of "bashing" something so "insignificant"-- my point is that (for me) Lara is hardly recognizable anymore.

but but but....

how was she "recognizable" when she went from;

http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr1/tr1lara9.1.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr3/tr3lara1.1.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr5/tr5lara2.1.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr6/tr6lara1.8.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr7/tr7lara1.jpg

if you are bashing TRU for changing Lara too much, surely to make your argument a bit more reasonable you should now start bashing every other Tomb Raider game besides the frist one.

Angelx14
24-10-08, 17:07
Haha, that was a good laugh =D

interstellardave
24-10-08, 17:08
I can barely remember the stories of the original TR's... they were very simple and formulaic as well. I doubt anyone loves the originals because of that! I'd be as happy with less story as I would be with a really good story. It's the feeling that I want, of wonder, and exploration. CD finally gets that, I think, because Lindstrom actually says that in one of his interviews.

interstellardave
24-10-08, 17:14
Firstly, that's a render, not in game. And second, I wasn't referring to graphics, I was referring to the gameplay. TRU's gameplay is not next gen (or "this" gen)... It's like Legend 2.0. Worked for last generation, but definitely not now.

I feel insulted, as a gamer, to even be expected to consider this game up to par with everything else currently out there, or coming out at around the same time. It's childsplay in comparison.

My first impression of the 10 minute video was the fear of enduring another AOD failure all over again... only worse.

What existing franchise has changed dramatically in gameplay from last-gen to current-gen? I'm having a hard time thinking of any. New franchises can be expiremental to the extreme, not pre-existing ones. AOD was a failure, in part, because they changed too many things, gameplay-wise.

There aren't a lot of games like Tomb Raider to point to for innovation, either... one thing is for sure, Uncharted wasn't innovative--so if TRU isn't current-gen neither is Uncharted... so why has it been annointed the King of adventure games?

SORRY... didn't realize I was double posting!

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 17:15
How do you mean? What would make the gameplay more 'next gen' in your view?

Better animations would be easier on the eyes, and as far as general gameplay goes, something much more fluid is absolutely necessary. Don't even get me started on the combat, because I'd be generous in saying that was up to par with LAST gen even, it's pathetic. However, I'll lighten up on it, being as that is not the main focus of TR anyway.

Mainly what I notice is Lara's abilities as far as jumping, climbing, etc. TRU is still like Legend with the whole concept. Find your ledge, run up to it, align properly, and jump. Something so simple as jumping on a ledge takes precision and time to do. Sure, this is what Tomb Raider has always been about, right? Back in the PSOne days, yes, it worked great, but we're past that now.

Say Lara was running from an enemy and needs to jump up on a ledge. Preparing for it alone takes a bazillion times longer than it really would take Lara, in a more realistic scenario, it's so clunky and not very blievable.

A game that accomplished these mechanics in the proper way, up to par with current gen gameplay, is Assassin's Creed. The simple act of climbing a ladder, that might take Lara some time to prepare to do, can be done with ease, not even thinking about it. All obstacles, hurdles, ladders, ledges, buildings, you name it, are easily manuvered through and treaded all over. Altair gets around with agility, he doesn't have to "prepare" to climb a ladder, building, or jump over anything, he just does it. It's so fluid, you don't even have to think about it and he's one step ahead of you. It makes Altair's abilities all the more believable, and impressive to say the least.

Not to mention, it does not hinder the gameplay or make it less fun by any means; in fact, it's much more fun to have something so fluid. The climbing and running around is my favoite part of Assassin's Creed.

Not that TRU should be a carbon copy of it by any means, but sheesh, CD needs to take some notes on advancing gameply mechanics, because if it wasn't for the graphics, TRU really has nothing next gen to bring to the table. It's last gen, only prettier.

What existing franchise has changed dramatically in gameplay from last-gen to current-gen? I'm having a hard time thinking of any. New franchises can be expiremental to the extreme, not pre-existing ones. AOD was a failure, in part, because they changed too many things, gameplay-wise.

There aren't a lot of games like Tomb Raider to point to for innovation, either... one thing is for sure, Uncharted wasn't innovative--so if TRU isn't current-gen neither is Uncharted... so why has it been annointed the King of adventure games?

Mario, PoP, Metal Gear Solid, just to name a couple from the top of my head. They may not be a DRAAAAASTIC change, but I never said that was necessary. A next gen change is, rather than passing of a prettified PS2 game as "next gen".

I'm not speaking innovation necessarily. To reiterate what I've been syaing all along, I'm referring to next gen gameplay mechanics. Can it be something that has been done before by other games? By all means, why not? But for the love of God, let's not stay stuck in the past with last gen gameplay when we've got much better things out there now.

Kittypower
24-10-08, 17:18
^
you are one of the few who think underworld is a flop

Tomb Raider 5194
24-10-08, 17:18
The writer was obviously attacking Tomb Raider because it is Tomb Raider. He did not present any points that actually made sense, heck I am TR lover but if I would write trashing TR, I'd present more logical points. :rolleyes:

Also I do agree with the fact that Lara is now sadly, IMO, not iconic enough as she used to be. Its as if the series has lost everything that it was and instead been categorized as a, "Oh God, not another TR game..."

interstellardave
24-10-08, 17:24
Mainly what I notice is Lara's abilities as far as jumping, climbing, etc. TRU is still like Legend with the whole concept. Find your ledge, run up to it, align properly, and jump. Something so simple as jumping on a ledge takes precision and time to do. Sure, this is what Tomb Raider has always been about, right? Back in the PSOne days, yes, it worked great, but we're past that now.

Say Lara was running from an enemy and needs to jump up on a ledge. Preparing for it alone takes a bazillion times longer than it really would take Lara, in a more realistic scenario, it's so clunky on not very blievable.

You're acting like you've played TRU, though. A player can hesitate all he/she wants--so, in the video, you see that. I don't remember having to line up every jump even in Legend, or perfectly align myself with a ladder... just moving towards the ladder enabled you to climb it. In fact, it's the more fluid controls and lack of need to "line up" jumps that many people on this forum criticize about the new games! Perhaps you played Legend--and view TRU as the same--because you played Legend like the old games. You didn't play it in a more fluid fashion because of those old TR fears!

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 17:26
^
you are one of the few who think underworld is a flop

Well that's because we're on a TOMB RAIDER forum. Go anywhere else and you'll find unbiased opinions.

Just wait for the reviews to come in next month. ;)

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't expect to be. :/

You're acting like you've played TRU, though. A player can hesitate all he/she wants--so, in the video, you see that. I don't remember having to line up every jump even in Legend, or perfectly align myself with a ladder... just moving towards the ladder enabled you to climb it. In fact, it's the more fluid controls and lack of need to "line up" jumps that many people on this forum criticize about the new games! Perhaps you played Legend--and view TRU as the same--because you played Legend like the old games. You didn't play it in a more fluid fashion because of those old TR fears!

You don't have to play it if you've already played Legend, then all you have to do is use your eyes to see the gameplay is pretty much the same. Moreover, the people who have played it say it IS the same.

And of course the gameplay is more fluid than the PSOne TR games, but not even close to other current gen games out there, like Assassin's Creed. Sure, you don't have to spend near as long aligning to a ladder, but Lara certainly can't run up to it and automatically start climbing it even half as fluid as Altair does.

It's completely outdated.

Kittypower
24-10-08, 17:27
Well that's because we're on a TOMB RAIDER forum. Go anywhere else and you'll find unbiased opinions.

Just wait for the reviews to come in next month. ;)

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't expect to be. :/

Official PlayStation Magazine gave it an 8.9 which is good, i just got it today(illegally) it dosent come out till november

interstellardave
24-10-08, 17:35
You don't have to play it if you've already played Legend, then all you have to do is use your eyes to see the gameplay is pretty much the same. Moreover, the people who have played it say it IS the same.

And of course the gameplay is more fluid than the PSOne TR games, but not even close to other current gen games out there, like Assassin's Creed. Sure, you don't have to spend near as long aligning to a ladder, but Lara certainly can't run up to it and automatically start climbing it even half as fluid as Altair does.

I'm limited in my ability to argue this point further because I haven't played Assassin's Creed... but that seems to be the main example you've got; I have played Uncharted and it's not in any way outstanding compared to Legend, though, control and movement-wise. I also know that Assassin's Creed is a game that some people rave about and others say is completely overrated. I won't know until I play it, I guess.

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 17:37
I'm limited in my ability to argue this point further because I haven't played Assassin's Creed... but that seems to be the main example you've got; I have played Uncharted and it's not in any way outstanding compared to Legend, though, control and movement-wise. I also know that Assassin's Creed is a game that some people rave about and others say is completely overrated. I won't know until I play it, I guess.

I mention Assassin's Creed because the running, jumping, and climbing are more similar to TRU. Sure, it doesn't have any 10s or anything, but the gameplay is outstanding. It's downfall was the repetitiveness, not the lack of next gen gameplay whatsoever.

I also find it absolutely ridiculous to compare Uncharted to TR when the only thing the two games have in common are the environments.

You might as well compare Gears of War to TR if you're going to mention Uncharted, because Uncharted's gameplay was inspired by Gears. It isn't even remotely like TR, not even close to comparable in gameplay.

george_croft
24-10-08, 17:37
Of course, we Core fans realize we are the minority now, and perhaps, always have been.
Yes, Tomb Raider has been wildly successful but we can't deny the cult-like quality the series and its tried-and-true fans seem to attract.
And of course, we each are multidimensional individuals who don't always fit cookie-cutter molds--many fall into the increasingly large "grey area" that unites both Crystal and Core fans together.
Don't worry, the Core fans have no delusions that TR will again one day be resurrected in the hands of its once most qualified designer. We have seen our beloved series rise and fall, rise again and, well, fall again.
We will be here to the very end, buying each and every TR game made available to us, despite our evident disappointment with the great departure we feel TRL/A is from the Tomb Raider essence.
Despite the unnecessary liberties we feel CD has taken with our beloved game, we're still gonna buy TRU.
We just already know that it will be a souped up Legend, and that saddens us.

Um, no.

I've been a fan since 1997, and a TRF member since 2006. You might not have noticed, since you weren't here then, but the Core fanboys were dominating this place. Legend got bashed to pieces every single day, by almost everyone. It got criticised, bashed, made fun of, and then bashed again. People started appreciating AOD for what it was supposed to be, and started ranting about how much they wanted Core back. But then right after Anniversary, things started to change. People realized that constructive criticism actually made the next game better and much more 'Tomb Raidery'.

I'm proud of this forum for learning how to give constructive criticism without bashing. They might not be just as angry or 'colourful' today, but the hardcore TR fans are still very present. If I've learned anything from my two years here at TRF, it is that Lara & Tomb Raider have a rock-hard solid fanbase left from the 90's.

The core fans you're referring to are no minority, (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=134518&highlight=tomb+raider+games+played) and according to this poll Tomb Raider Legend introduced 33 of our members to the franchise, I wouldn't call that a majority.

Immortalis08
24-10-08, 17:39
Official PlayStation Magazine gave it an 8.9 which is good, i just got it today(illegally) it dosent come out till november

What! :eek:

Kittypower
24-10-08, 17:39
What! :eek:

yep, they like it. OPM

Lara Croft Fan Joe
24-10-08, 17:40
Thats awesome (if it's true).

william croft
24-10-08, 17:41
Why Tomb Raider Will 'Tank' ? Doubtful.

And 8.9.... A Nine would have looked better :p

Kittypower
24-10-08, 17:41
Thats awesome (if it's true).

OPM, i done know if it is play station magizine or not but its opm
Bioshock: 10/10
---
Resistance 2: 9/10
Mirror's Edge: 9/10
Far Cry 2: 9/10
Midnight Club - LA: 9/10
---
Tomb Raider - Underworld: 8/10 i wont ad the points
Motorstorm - Pacific Rift: 8/10
Dead Space: 8/10
EndWar: 8/10
Valkyria Chronicles: 8/10
WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2009: 8/10
Disgaea 3: 8/10
---
Silent Hill - Homecoming: 7/10
LEGO Batman: 7/10
---
Saints Row 2: 5/10

Kittypower
24-10-08, 17:42
sorry cant post it

interstellardave
24-10-08, 17:42
Made a mistake... sorry.

gtkilla
24-10-08, 17:43

That's great! :D Could you post scans?

It's not outdated at all, just different. One of the most important elements of the TR formula is precision-based platforming. Aligning your every move, making sure you're on point every time...it builds tension. Remove that in favor of something as forgiving and simple as Assassin's Creed, and you don't have TR anymore.

Kittypower
24-10-08, 17:44
That's great! :D Could you post scans?

as soon as i can, it is illegal:p

william croft
24-10-08, 17:46
8.9, yet resistance, mirrors edge etc got 9.. :( Dont get me wrong, its a good score yet being the in '9' category would have been better, but regardless good job!

Immortalis08
24-10-08, 17:47
Nice! :tmb: I would suggest creating a separate thread so more people can view and not to derail the current thread.

*sigh* Why didn't they just give it a 9? :rolleyes:

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 17:47
Everyone else talks about Uncharted though... it's a dude running around Tomb Raider-like environments and doing similar moves as Lara does... that's for certain. Also, how is Assassin's Creed like Tomb Raider, then?

I just told you what Assassin's Creed had in common with TR in my earlier post. It has similar gameplay elements, such as a heavy emphasis on climbing, running, and jumping around. The only difference is that AC took it to a next gen level and TR is stuck doing it the old way.

And Uncharted isn't merely running around TResque environments... yes, you're around them, but what does the environment have to do with the games having similar gameplay? Nothing at all. Uncharted is primarily combat based, while TR is more adventure based. If you want to compare the two, let's start with what Uncharted is really about: the combat. Which absolutely sucks in TR, and that's putting things lightly.

TRU and Uncharted are nothing alike. People compare them because of the similar settings, but any hardcore gamer has no trouble at all differentiating the two.

It's not outdated at all, just different. One of the most important elements of the TR formula is precision-based platforming. Aligning your every move, making sure you're on point every time...it builds tension. Remove that in favor of something as forgiving and simple as Assassin's Creed, and you don't have TR anymore.

TR is not a platformer, this is just a big excuse for the lack of evolvement. It's also not "different", it's last gen. Nothing different or abnormal from what we had in the PS2 days. Moreover, AC is not "simple" by any means. It's fluid, and next gen. Precision done properly.

If you want to talk like that, why don't CD make it a challenge just to get one of Lara's feet in front of the other in order to walk? Let's complicate it so it will build "tension" and not be as "simple" as games that let you walk with ease!

Wow, the biasedness in this forum is hilarious.

Kittypower
24-10-08, 17:48
hold on a second, i might have had some confusion here

iamlaracroft
24-10-08, 17:48
^^^ Please refrain from catagorizing people with generalizations... frankly it sounds dumb every time someone does it. Mentioning that "there are exceptions" hardly helps either.

I don't even think that your points are "generally" true... and they are condescending at best... and, yes, I played TR1 the day it came out, and it remains my favorite one in the series. Yet I don't mind the changes made, and am looking forward to TRU which obviously represents CD's best TR effort, as opposed to Legend where they were feeling their way along... and EIDOS was merely trying to cash in. TRU appears to be an artistic effort, and one which hopefully will satisfy most TR fans... even ones who are sticklers to the point that they complain about her hair... HER HAIR, for Gods' sake!

And yet you act as if you've played TRU yourself.
Do you not recognize the gameplay style is exactly the same as Legend's?
Or do you actually enjoy Lara's unhealthy attraction to ledges and ladders?
And as for her "hair"-- it's symbolic, Dave, not an actual critique of her h a i r. Surely you can appreciate symbolism? :whi:
The hair color and style change is representative of the unnecessary liberties CD has taken with the series as a whole--first it's her hair, then it's background/history, and now it's her identity/motives for relic-hunting.
There was nothing wrong with these things, but CD altered them beyond the point of recognition.
Why change what wasn't broken in the first place?

Is this some sort of parody? Not even the "there are exceptions" thing saves this, because it's just so wrong. I think we've just hit the nadir of crazy generalisations.

...so you are one of the exceptions. Congratulations, you're special! :rolleyes:

but but but....

how was she "recognizable" when she went from;

http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr1/tr1lara9.1.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr3/tr3lara1.1.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr5/tr5lara2.1.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr6/tr6lara1.8.jpg
to
http://www.tombraiders.net/katie/tr7/tr7lara1.jpg

if you are bashing TRU for changing Lara too much, surely to make your argument a bit more reasonable you should now start bashing every other Tomb Raider game besides the frist one.

"too much" isn't what I was even going for.
simple, seemingly insignificant changes on the whole turned Legend into a game I didn't recognize at first glance as Tomb Raider.
Any dolt can see that Lara's look doesn't change drastically from TRI-AoD.
Yes, in TRI she has a bun in game but the braid is there from the very first FMV in Calcutta.
Subtle alterations or "improvements" were made to her bust and hemlines, but she was still every bit recognizably Lara.

My point was, and still remains, that if Lara had her trademark braid for six consecutive games, why on earth would CD get rid of it now??
Surely they'd seen all the cosplayers and costumes around the world featuring that classic long brown braid.
Does it affect my experience in playing TRL?
Obviously not, I'm just citing it as an example of yet another attribute so intrinsically Tomb Raider CD axed.
And for what?

MMAN
24-10-08, 17:53
...so you are one of the exceptions. Congratulations, you're special! :rolleyes:

No, I'm the norm, because very few of the overall fanbase for the series fits those points overall.

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 17:57
No, I'm the norm, because very few of the overall fanbase for the series fits those points overall.

Most of the fanbase worships TR mindlessly, no matter how bad it is. :rolleyes:

iamlaracroft
24-10-08, 18:00
Most of the fanbase worships TR mindlessly, no matter how bad it is. :rolleyes:

so true. so sad, but true.

interstellardave
24-10-08, 18:00
And yet you act as if you've played TRU yourself.
Do you not recognize the gameplay style is exactly the same as Legend's?
Or do you actually enjoy Lara's unhealthy attraction to ledges and ladders?
And as for her "hair"-- it's symbolic, Dave, not an actual critique of her h a i r. Surely you can appreciate symbolism? :whi:
The hair color and style change is representative of the unnecessary liberties CD has taken with the series as a whole--first it's her hair, then it's background/history, and now it's her identity/motives for relic-hunting.
There was nothing wrong with these things, but CD altered them beyond the point of recognition.
Why change what wasn't broken in the first place?

I had no problem with the gameplay stye in Legend... what I didn't like was the lack of difficulty, the small environments, and the shortness of the game--even when finding all secrets. Every one of those things has been addressed in TRU (or it really really seems so). As for the ledges, they don't seem so obvious in recent footage--and they don't lead anyone down one single path; everyone who's played TRU has said that.

As for the hair... it's just hair. I still don't understand why people get fussed about it. I'm not saying you can't be upset about that, though, so go right ahead. Personally I never cared about her motivations or any of that, either... that was totally meaningless in the original games, at least it was to me; I enjoyed them just fine without thinking about any of that.

It was the fact that you felt the need to put everyone into neat catagories (with condascending overtones) that bothered me, not your own individual feelings towards TR and TRU.

Twilight
24-10-08, 18:02
wow, all this arguing. its just a game, people. if you like it, play it. if you don't, then don't play it.

iamlaracroft
24-10-08, 18:05
I had no problem with the gameplay stye in Legend... what I didn't like was the lack of difficulty, the small environments, and the shortness of the game--even when finding all secrets. As for the ledges, they don't seem so obvious in recent footage--and they don't lead anyone down one single path; everyone who's played TRU has said that.

As for the hair... it's just hair. I still don't understand why people get fussed about it. I'm not saying you can't be upset about that, though, so go right ahead. Personally I never cared about her motivations or any of that, either... that was totally meaningless in the original games, at least it was to me; I enjoyed them just fine without thinking about any of that.

It was the fact that you felt the need to put everyone into neat catagories (with condascending overtones) that bothered me, not your own individual feelings towards TR and TRU.

I hardly lobbed everyone into "neat" categories-- I expressly prefaced my proposed generalities with acknowledgment for ample exception.
You can't deny that while there are millions of different TR fans, there are very broad categories we can all be divided into.
It's very true that many of the newer fans of the franchise have never played the classics, and if they have, they feel it is sub-par graphically, "too hard" etc-- just look at this forum.
Many Crystal fans have made threads asking for advice for which Core game they should play first. First!

It doesn't end there, but my fingers are tired from typing :(

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 18:06
I hardly lobbed everyone into "neat" categories-- I expressly prefaced my proposed generalities with acknowledgment for ample exception.
You can't deny that while there are millions of different TR fans, there are very broad categories we can all be divided into.
It's very true that many of the newer fans of the franchise have never played the classics, and if they have, they feel it is sub-par graphically, "too hard" etc-- just look at this forum.
Many Crystal fans have made threads asking for advice for which Core game they should play first. First!

You're right. ;)

Sure, it may sound stereotypical... but seriously, stereotypes wouldn't exist at all if none of them were true.

interstellardave
24-10-08, 18:12

Statistically-speaking, however, it has to be the case that most of the people who played Legend played other TR games in the past, especially since if any of us are to create catagories it has to come from observing people on this forum.

Plus, you have to realize something about me; I'm always optimistic... it's my nature. If CD says they've listened to the fans I believe that they have and they are trying to make their vision of Tomb Raider better because of it. Can they or will they change everything they did in Legend? No. It does appear they've created a much bigger and more challenging game in TRU, though. That's something positive in my book.

For the record I can't say that I liked Legend all that much, but I hated AOD before it so Legend was refreshing in a way... I'm just hoping, and believing, that TRU is going to be great--even if it maintains the basic gameplay mechanics from Legend. I didn't think they were that bad, it was the game around it that was lacking.

You're right. ;)

Sure, it may sound stereotypical... but seriously, stereotypes wouldn't exist at all if none of them were true.

Still... few people like stereotypes, do they? It's because they always wind up offending some-one, so they are pointless in the end. Why can't we all just talk to each other and leave out trying to guess what whole groups of people think?

Piega
24-10-08, 18:13
TRU's gameplay is not next gen (or "this" gen)... It's like Legend 2.0. Worked for last generation, but definitely not now.

It's funny that you explain new gameplay experience as "next gen". That is a lot of crap. The only invented new kind of gameplay was in Mario Galaxy. What do you call "Next Gen" gameplay besides graphics?

lostzilla
24-10-08, 18:18
What means "will tank"?

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 18:20
It's funny that you explain new gameplay experience as "next gen". That is a lot of crap. The only invented new kind of gameplay was in Mario Galaxy. What do you call "Next Gen" gameplay besides graphics?

I explained it many times, have a read. Apparently you don't understand the way video games are made.

KC Mraz
24-10-08, 18:22
What means "will tank"?

Like "will fail"

Laras man
24-10-08, 18:32
I think the game will be brilliant:yik: My score before release 9/10

The_Terminator
24-10-08, 18:33
Getting back to the "why TRU will Tank" article. I have to agree with the point about the motion capture and acrobatics.

Adding somersaults and flips to Lara's repertoire of moves is just silly to me. (I stress "to me"). Having more flips adds nothing substantial to the game. How's this for headline news: Now Lara can shoot at TWO targets. not one, but TWO, count 'em, TWO targets at the same time. Earth shattering, isn't it?
She can shoot WHILE she's hanging from a ledge! be still my heart!

The trailers have once again shown Lara hopping from ledge to impossible ledge like a hopped up monkey on steroided caffeine.
...and swinging from poles. can't forget the poles.
...with a few more somersaults thrown in. ...and some bullet time slo-mo...

I am going to play this game and enjoy it I'm sure, b/c I've been a TR fan since TR1 back in the DOS days. I think a lot of it looks great. I'm hopeful!

But seeing added acrobatics, skimpier outfits, butt hanging out of wetsuit, and monkey crazed ledge hanging gameplay just makes me sigh. *sigh*

Melonie Tomb Raider
24-10-08, 18:37
Getting back to the "why TRU will Tank" article. I have to agree with the point about the motion capture and acrobatics.

Adding somersaults and flips to Lara's repertoire of moves is just silly to me. (I stress "to me"). Having more flips adds nothing substantial to the game. How's this for headline news: Now Lara can shoot at TWO targets. not one, but TWO, count 'em, TWO targets at the same time. Earth shattering, isn't it?
She can shoot WHILE she's hanging from a ledge! be still my heart!

The trailers have once again shown Lara hopping from ledge to impossible ledge like a hopped up monkey on steroided caffeine.
...and swinging from poles. can't forget the poles.
...with a few more somersaults thrown in. ...and some bullet time slo-mo...

I am going to play this game and enjoy it I'm sure, b/c I've been a TR fan since TR1 back in the DOS days. I think a lot of it looks great. I'm hopeful!

But seeing added acrobatics, skimpier outfits, butt hanging out of wetsuit, and monkey crazed ledge hanging gameplay just makes me sigh. *sigh*

*sigh*

lostzilla
24-10-08, 18:45
Like "will fail"

Thanks dude.
This article sucks.

gtkilla
24-10-08, 18:47
TR is not a platformer, this is just a big excuse for the lack of evolvement. It's also not "different", it's last gen. Nothing different or abnormal from what we had in the PS2 days. Moreover, AC is not "simple" by any means. It's fluid, and next gen. Precision done properly.

If you want to talk like that, why don't CD make it a challenge just to get one of Lara's feet in front of the other in order to walk? Let's complicate it so it will build "tension" and not be as "simple" as games that let you walk with ease!

Wow, the biasedness in this forum is hilarious.

Err...yah it is. =/ It's pretty much the only thing we're doing in the entire game from start to finish. Platforming =/ And yeah, it's different, not "last-gen" (we could do this all day ;)) AC didn't set the standard for all new games to come. It just took a concept and executed it differently.
Hold down a trigger button and a direction and watch Altair go!!!

Ooohhhh...luk how kewl teh animations r...Sew next-genz!!! :jmp::jmp: I'd sseeeewwwww rather hold down a button and watch the game play itself for me than do it myself111!!!! :jmp::jmp:
:rolleyes: AC's as simple as it gets. ;)

There was barely any precision involved in AC. You just had to make sure you were pointing the general direction you wanted to go and the game would basically play itself. I know that's probably what you'd rather have, but I think the majority of TR fans would start a riot if CD, or any other dev for that matter, did that.

Isaac
24-10-08, 19:00
Oh hell, I'm gonna throw up if I hear another comparison with Assassin's Creed.

I have explained many time : AC's gameplay is NOT next gen.

Why is that?

Simple : They just put random climbable stuffes everywhere. It gives the illusion of being able to climb everywhere, but it's not the case. You see grabable stones on certain walls, not on every of them.

The engine isn't made to be able to grab the environment, but the element in it. Did you notice that ALL the windows and climbable stuffes are all the same? Same window everywhere, same stone, same ledge... Same things. That proves my point : The engine is made to allow the player to grab these things as "separated element"...

I'll explain the same thing in the TRU langage :

They added climbable walls and ledges everywhere in a city. That give us the impression of being able to climb everywhere, but in reality, it's climbable elements added everywhere.

Now, except the transition between animation and the interaction with the other character, explain me how AC's gameplay is next gen?

Oh and I also agree with Gtkilla.

Piega
24-10-08, 19:16
Apparently you don't understand the way video games are made.

It's good that you said apparently or I could be mad :D

fanoflaracroft
24-10-08, 19:25
And why will it tank? Problems with gameplay or something? No, i doubt it will tank. It doesen't have the market on its side like TR1 to create a revolution in games, but at least it'll get around 9 in reviews.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
24-10-08, 19:26
The huge marketing push alone should guarantee it doesn't 'tank'.

Moon-Safari
24-10-08, 19:29
I can't believe they paid someone to write that.

toxicraider
24-10-08, 19:32
:( i saw this yesterday
At the end of the latest trailer Lara appears to be very distressed as she says “o noes”, which is followed by a female voice saying “I’m very pleased to see you again, Lara”…

Who could this mystery woman be? A long lost lover, disgruntled employee, her mother, her mother’s lover, her mother’s disgruntled employee’s lover, Lara’s stem celled clone? At this point it could be any of them.

epic fail

Delamo1999
24-10-08, 19:49
6 reasons why this article tanked:
by dinahcat

1. The attitude - most likely written by someone who started playing TR around Legend and has "Mommy-issues" of their own. (Think "joan crawford")

2. The word choices - this person probably never took a journalism class, or an English writing class, or a creative writing class... Oh, and i don't think Lara is a LOLCAT...she doesn't say "o noes..." Idiot...

3. Not a fanboy - this person probably doesn't like this genre of games. Go bck to your Peggle, now, please...

4. Doesn't understand the loyalty of Lara fans - un there's more us US then YOU, Mr. ArticleWriterPerson.

5. Must be an Emo - it's all doom and gloom for you, isn't it? Or maybe you're just ****ed off b/c you don't get the DLC on PS3...well....I WON'T EITHER and I'm not snotty about it.

6. Has a general distaste for the word EPIC - you had to even slam that word. well...I hope you get to eat your words...EPICALLY!

This is great. You're right too, this guy does not understand the loyalty of the fans. I'll bet he has never been to this Tombraider forum.

Twiin
25-10-08, 12:41
I've responded to the article as 'Brum'; I think I've effectively tackled all of the 'issues' he raises
Hopefully I'll get a reply to see where this guy truly stands.

patriots88888
25-10-08, 13:36
Wow. I don't know what I'm more impressed with. The "loyalty" and "allegiance" that has been displayed in this thread or the fact that I read through every single post? :p

Somehow I think the original author of this article is sitting back and laughing at all the fireworks and fuss his article created. He's probably lurking on TRF and having a good chuckle about all of this. Mission accomplished! :p

~*~Chloe~*~
25-10-08, 14:06
"If you would’ve played attention on Tomb Raider Legend you would immediately recognise Lara’s dead mother in the trailer. "

Lara's mother isn't in any of the trailers is she?

BigR4444
25-10-08, 14:42
I've responded to the article as 'Brum'; I think I've effectively tackled all of the 'issues' he raises
Hopefully I'll get a reply to see where this guy truly stands.

You basically made some similar points as I did..... although you said it a little better......

But he didnt even address me in his response....... probly because he had no comeback; becasue hes talking out of his ass

amiro1989
25-10-08, 14:44
"If you would’ve played attention on Tomb Raider Legend you would immediately recognise Lara’s dead mother in the trailer. "

She's not. He doesn't even know what he's talking about.

Twiin
25-10-08, 14:44
Somehow I think the original author of this article is sitting back and laughing at all the fireworks and fuss his article created. He's probably lurking on TRF and having a good chuckle about all of this. Mission accomplished! :p

Oh, he was gunning for a reaction, definitely. That, and/or he truly is somewhat confused and/or ignorant about Tomb Raider.

No, I think this fan is mistaking Natla's voice at the end of one of the official trailers for Lara's Mother. Obviously, this fan wasn't paying any attention either :p The voice is so obviously that of Natla, it's distinctively her, and it's an American accent.

Oh and I see your post now, BigR - we do basically make the same points lol. Because they're all true, that's why!

Wana b like Lara
25-10-08, 14:50
Screw Him!! And BTW what does PWNED mean?

Twiin
25-10-08, 14:53
Screw Him!! And BTW what does PWNED mean?

lol, it's one of those internet terms - a typo/misspelling of 'owned', meaning to basically dominate another player. It's come to refer to anyone/thing haha.

Wana b like Lara
25-10-08, 14:54
OOOOhh! OK Thanks! :D

Brikas94
25-10-08, 23:37
Well... he certainly doesn't like Tomb Raider... (i.e., he deserves some :smk:)

I don't agree with what he says... obviously!!!

:)

patriots88888
25-10-08, 23:45
Oh, he was gunning for a reaction, definitely. That, and/or he truly is somewhat confused and/or ignorant about Tomb Raider.

It is most obvious that the author's intent and the true purpose of this article was to incite rather than convey a meaningful position on Underworld. As I said before: Mission accomplished! :p

TRhalloween
25-10-08, 23:48
I'll destroy him!

6 good reasons why TRU will tank. And it's 6 good reasons that I can't find.

FireMagic
26-10-08, 00:59
eugh that person who wrote that is a peice of S****

jeeze, some people will never stop complaining!

shanqz
26-10-08, 01:27
how can he even say anything b4 the game comes out? :mad:

]{eith
26-10-08, 01:33
how can he even say anything b4 the game comes out? :mad:

Because he's clearly stupid. One would have to be to go ****ing on about something they knew **** all about.