PDA

View Full Version : Computer abruptly restarts

shanqz
26-10-08, 04:29
hey guys:

my laptop started giving me this problem recently. i cannot run cpu intensive apps for more than 8-10 minutes coz my laptop abruptly restarts in between wiithout any warning or message. i cannot even write a dvd (several of my dvds have gone bad), i cannot play games or watch videos online etc :hea:

please help.:(

irjudd
26-10-08, 14:52
I would call that a heat issue.

Place it on a table instead of your lap. Run from the power cord instead of the battery. And tell me if doing those things you mentioned still makes it restart.

shanqz
26-10-08, 15:07
hey....irjudd

i always place it on the table, i even place a book something underneath so it wont get hot and always use the power cord; however this issue has recently started occuring, it did not exist before.

M.A.
27-10-08, 06:22
I got the exact same problem a few months ago and fixed it by replacing the power adaptor. Try borrowing somebody else's power adaptor to see if it fixes the problem. Be careful, find one that matches your adapters amperage and power rating. Failure to do so might result in damage to your laptop.

EscondeR
27-10-08, 07:22
1. Try changing the adapter (as was mentioned above).
2. Consider the battery may be faulty (need replacement) as even if the adapter is faulty, the laptop must work off battery, not reboot immediately.
3. Check what power profile do you have ATM. Set it to "Always On" as you're using the outlet anyway.
4. Check if any power saving function is enabled in BIOS. Disable it to verify.

Ward Dragon
27-10-08, 07:29
Look at the task manager (ctrl + alt + delete) and see if the computer is constantly running at 100% CPU usage (it says at the bottom what % is being used). If it is at 100% and stays there without fluctuating, then try looking in the processes tab to see what is using up so much of the CPU. It may be a program that is running improperly, or it may be a virus (my friend had something like that several years ago).

shanqz
27-10-08, 17:12
@ M.A. : yeah i did not mention about the power adapter, but it is giving me some problems lately, if the cable moves in some way, it disconnets.

@ EscondeR: battery is working great, i also have disabled power saving option in the BIOS, but as i mentioned earlier, my power adapter is giving me problems, but i never thought this could be because of the power adapter. i will try changing it and let you know, thanks :)

@Ward Dragon: the cpu usage is not 100%, i always check the task manager, this problem only occurs, when a program consumes 100% cpu (such as a game or flash player...), as said above thiscould be a problem with the power adapter, so i will try to change it.

M.A.
27-10-08, 18:23
@ M.A. : yeah i did not mention about the power adapter, but it is giving me some problems lately, if the cable moves in some way, it disconnets.

@ EscondeR: battery is working great, i also have disabled power saving option in the BIOS, but as i mentioned earlier, my power adapter is giving me problems, but i never thought this could be because of the power adapter. i will try changing it and let you know, thanks :)

@Ward Dragon: the cpu usage is not 100%, i always check the task manager, this problem only occurs, when a program consumes 100% cpu (such as a game or flash player...), as said above thiscould be a problem with the power adapter, so i will try to change it.

Yep, those are the symptoms that I had. If I play even the simplest non graphic demanding video game, the power will trip. If I move the cable, poof! If I open a heavy flash website, the laptop died.

Then I borrowed my friends adapter (he had the same make and model as mine), the problems goes away. It even lasted my overnight test.

So I suggest sorting out the adapter first before trying anything else. To think I dismantled my laptop thinking it was dust-heat related problem (shakes head)... :D

Out of curiosity, what model is your laptop anyway?

shanqz
27-10-08, 19:02
^ i'll try that....i have a fujitsu lifebook s2110, so i cannot try anyone else's power cord (this is very rare), i will have 2 buy a new one.....

shanqz
05-11-08, 16:02
wow! i cant believe i have 2 resurrect this thread...
guys, i bought a new adapter for my laptop (i had to coz the previous one was faulty), but the laptop is still doing the same thing :hea:

and when i check it, its not even that HOT to touch, so i dont think this is a heating problem, what do u suggest i do? :(

is something wrong with the processor, ram etc....??:confused:

EscondeR
05-11-08, 16:58
Proceed to those positions:

2. Consider the battery may be faulty (need replacement) as even if the adapter is faulty, the laptop must work off battery, not reboot immediately.
3. Check what power profile do you have ATM. Set it to "Always On" as you're using the outlet anyway.
4. Check if any power saving function is enabled in BIOS. Disable it to verify.

shanqz
05-11-08, 17:21
^ i have checked the battery, it is fine. i did a simple test and saw that it restarts when cpu usage goe above 80% for more than 10 minutes.

when i tried this thing with adapter connected, it does the same thing, but if i run some heavy progs using just the battery (without AC power), then it works fine...

maybe problem with AMD processor driver or ram or processor?

bios setting is also fine and "always on" is always on.

EscondeR
05-11-08, 17:28
^ i have checked the battery, it is fine. i did a simple test and saw that it restarts when cpu usage goes above 80% for more than 10 minutes.

Do you have any AMD Live! driver installed and any power management function active?
What temperature is your CPU when it restarts?

shanqz
05-11-08, 17:44
no not the AMD Live! driver, but just AMD processor driver. power management is off. basically, i have changed none of these things and this started just recently.

EscondeR
06-11-08, 06:53
Run Diagnose.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/diagnose.exe) and ARDiag.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/ardiag.exe) and post both reports.

shanqz
07-11-08, 15:07
-- removed

EscondeR
07-11-08, 19:50
1. Download and run Autoruns (http://technet.microsoft.com/ru-ru/sysinternals/bb963902(en-us).aspx) and kill those entries:

Program:
N/A
Publisher:
N/A
Entry path:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
Entry name:
cpuz
Program path & name:
File not found: C:\Downloads\A64Tweaker_V0.6beta\cpuz.sys"
Enabled: [V]

Program:
N/A
Publisher:
N/A
Entry path:
Entry name:
SANDRA
Program path & name:
File not found: C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite XII.SP2c\WNt500x86\Sandra.sys"

Program:
N/A
Publisher:
N/A
Entry path:
Entry name:
windrvNT
Program path & name:
File not found: C:\WINDOWS\system32\windrvNT.sys"

Program:
N/A
Publisher:
N/A
Entry path:
Entry name:
X4HSX32
Program path & name:
File not found: C:\Program Files\GameTap\bin\Release\X4HSX32.Sys"

Program:
"Google Installer"
Publisher:
"(Verified) Google Inc"
Entry path:
Task Scheduler
Entry name:
GoogleUpdateTaskUser.job
Program path & name:
"c:\documents and settings\sz\local settings\application data\google\update\googleupdate.exe"

2. Uninstall your CD/DVD-emulating software, reboot and delete the following entry and file if they are still present:

Program:
N/A
Publisher:
N/A
Entry path:
Entry name:
sptd
Program path & name:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\sptd.sys"

3. What drive is encrypted by TrueCrypt software? Errors in TrueCrypt may cause this behaviour. If you can decrypt the drive, backup the data and uninstall TrueCrypt.

4. If your C: drive is the system one, free more space on it. And defragment all drives.

5. i did a simple test and saw that it restarts when cpu usage goe above 80% for more than 10 minutes.
Can you tell us what process exactly uses 80% of CPU time before the laptop restarts?

shanqz
07-11-08, 20:00
3. What drive is encrypted by TrueCrypt software? Errors in TrueCrypt may cause this behaviour. If you can decrypt the drive, backup the data and uninstall TrueCrypt.

4. If your C: drive is the system one, free more space on it. And defragment all drives.

Can you tell us what process exactly uses 80% of CPU time before the laptop restarts?

no..i dont have any encrypted drives anymore....i have decrypted them long back. i will defragment all drives. and regarding cpu usage, it just restarts this when i run cpu-intensive applications (any game, flash videos etc.)......i use to play games and stuff before also....but it never did this

EscondeR
07-11-08, 20:02
^ Well... don't forget about pos. 1 and 2 also :)