PDA

View Full Version : Formatting HDD

Dakaruch
26-10-08, 12:45
I need to format my disk, and well, since it has Vista i don't know how to do it. Already went to the Control Panel-> Disk Management, and there i can't select the "format" option on the disk where the windows is contained(which is exactly the one i want to format).

Since this notebook doesn't have a Windows Vista DVD, i don't know how to do it. Already tried to use the Recovery Disk that came with the laptop, although it seems that the disk doesn't autorun.

Any help would be highly appreciated! :)

Jean Yves
26-10-08, 13:17
Not sure about the formatting, but have you tried putting in ur system restore disk then restarting the computer?

Admles
26-10-08, 13:33
If you just want to format a drive, right-click on it in Computer and select Format.

If you want to format your whole system and reinstall Vista, the recovery disc should be self booting. Boot the system with the disc in the drive and it should boot.

Make sure you back up data first!!

TRfan23
26-10-08, 13:40
If you just want to format a drive, right-click on it in Computer and select Format.

If you want to format your whole system and reinstall Vista, the recovery disc should be self booting. Boot the system with the disc in the drive and it should boot.

Make sure you back up data first!!

Actually if you install Vista, it asks to back up your data into a folder called 'Windows Old' :D

Which is located on the main HDD!

Admles
26-10-08, 13:46
Actually if you install Vista, it asks to back up your data into a folder called 'Windows Old' :D

Which is located on the main HDD!
Yes but a recovery cd can be different; a lot of the restore back to factory shipped state and will wipe everything.

irjudd
26-10-08, 13:50
Are you aware that formatting a disk will erase ALL DATA on that disk? In other words, you can't expect windows to ERASE ITSELF while its running, or else what would it be running on?

You need to use your restore CD that came with your computer/windows and boot from it and go through the prompts to format and reinstall windows.

TRfan23
26-10-08, 14:01
Yes but a recovery cd can be different; a lot of the restore back to factory shipped state and will wipe everything.

Oh right, I know there's a file on vista that if you double click on it. Then it asks if you want to restore your computer to factory settings or something like that?... Think it's in the windows folder?

Dakaruch
26-10-08, 15:18
Are you aware that formatting a disk will erase ALL DATA on that disk? In other words, you can't expect windows to ERASE ITSELF while its running, or else what would it be running on?

You need to use your restore CD that came with your computer/windows and boot from it and go through the prompts to format and reinstall windows.

Yeah, i'm well aware of that. The thing is that Vista was supposedly pre-installed on a partition of the disk, that i can't format aswell.
And yes, i've already tried to boot the computer through the recovery disk, although it gives me an error.
This never happened to me before. I already formatted my sister computer that comes with XP pre-installed and all i had to do was to choose the partition of the disk i wanted to format, which curiously was the partition with XP installed. And on my PC it doesn't let me do that...

EscondeR
27-10-08, 05:33
1. Ensure you back up all personal data before you format the HDD!

2. Post please the exact error message (photo) your boot disc returns you.

Dakaruch
28-10-08, 10:09
Here is the screenshot of the error.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Dakaruch/booterror.jpg

Laras man
28-10-08, 10:33
although it seems that the disk doesn't autorun.

Any help would be highly appreciated! :)
then go your disc drive and double click it

EscondeR
28-10-08, 10:33
You must perform the initial boot of your PC from this disc :D

1. Reboot your PC (press Reset).
2. Enter BIOS by pressing DEL or F2.
3. Find Boot devices priority section (depending on your BIOS type) and set your CD/DVD-drive as primary boot device.
4. Put the disc into drive.
5. Save options and exit BIOS Setup.
6. Next boot will start from the Vista DVD.

TRfan23
28-10-08, 11:57
You must perform the initial boot of your PC from this disc :D

1. Reboot your PC (press Reset).
2. Enter BIOS by pressing DEL or F2.
3. Find Boot devices priority section (depending on your BIOS type) and set your CD/DVD-drive as primary boot device.
4. Put the disc into drive.
5. Save options and exit BIOS Setup.
6. Next boot will start from the Vista DVD.

Isn't there an F12 method? I know you can reboot, then press F12 then select to boot straight from your CD\DVD drive straight from that?

EscondeR
28-10-08, 12:42
Depends on BIOS.

Dakaruch
29-10-08, 15:32
Thanks a lot Alex! :tmb:
Already formatted it, and it is working really fine now. :)