PDA

View Full Version : Icons messed up (Vista)

tweetygwee
27-10-08, 10:11
For some reason my icon for a .txt file has decided to become a picture of a printer, and for .zip files it has become a blank page. This is surprisingly very annoying and I can't find a way to change the icon for either of these in Vista.

Can anyone help?

EscondeR
27-10-08, 10:34
When did it happen? Have you tried rebooting/refreshing desktop?

tweetygwee
27-10-08, 13:27
It happened yesterday, and I can't really think of anything that would have made it happen. I've tried both of the things you suggested with no luck.

spikejones
27-10-08, 17:17
it seems that your MIME associations may have become messed up. Try to right click the file and choose the option to "open with", select the application that you want to open it with, then click the check box to "always use the selected application". This should reset the MIME associations as well as the icons (hopefully).

tweetygwee
27-10-08, 19:30
it seems that your MIME associations may have become messed up. Try to right click the file and choose the option to "open with", select the application that you want to open it with, then click the check box to "always use the selected application". This should reset the MIME associations as well as the icons (hopefully).

Thanks, I can use wordpad for the txt files and that produces the right icon, notepad still will not. I can't seem to set this for the zip files, as "compressed (zipped) folders" doesn't appear on the list.

EscondeR
27-10-08, 19:32
^ Yup :)
In case you're troubled, bind .txt to Notepad/Editpad/any other simple text editor you have, .zip to WinZIP/7ZIP/WinRAR/any archiver you have. You can also repair .zip bindings in from the archiver Settings > File associations.