PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer large files between computers

tha_mattster
30-10-08, 15:55
So I want to download the TRU demo with one computer but then play it on another which isn't connected to the net. I read the demo is like 1.2GB...whats the best way to send that to the other computer? :)

Can I make them 'get together' via wifi? :confused:

Mad Tony
30-10-08, 16:04
Have you got an external hard drive? If you have, you could just download it to the hard drive on one computer and then plug that same hard drive into another computer and transfer it that way.

Rivendell
30-10-08, 16:10
Memory stick. :tmb:

Welcome back dude! :D

EscondeR
30-10-08, 16:15
Memory stick. :tmb:

Flash drive, DVD-RW also.

TRfan23
30-10-08, 16:37
Flash drive, DVD-RW also.

That reminds me, what's the difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW?

tha_mattster
30-10-08, 16:45
^ I think one can only have stuff recorded onto it once only, the other one can be wiped clean. don't quote me!

I'm too cheap to buy a bigger memory stick :D DVD seems like the best option for me - thanks guys :)

EscondeR
30-10-08, 16:53
DVD-R - write once, 4,7Gb (single layer)
DVD-RW - write multiple times, 4,7Gb (single layer)

DVD+R - write once, 4,7Gb (single layer) + faster writing, better quality, DRAG-n-DROP support.
DVD+RW - write multiple times, 4,7Gb (single layer) + faster writing, better quality, DRAG-n-DROP support.

TRfan23
30-10-08, 17:04
DVD-R - write once, 4,7Gb (single layer)
DVD-RW - write multiple times, 4,7Gb (single layer)

DVD+R - write once, 4,7Gb (single layer) + faster writing, better quality, DRAG-n-DROP support.
DVD+RW - write multiple times, 4,7Gb (single layer) + faster writing, better quality, DRAG-n-DROP support.

Yeh I got loads of DVD+RW's, but when you've been like erasing them and RW them. Loads of times, does it differ the reading of the disc in the drive?

Because one time I used the built in 'Windows DVD Maker' for all official TRU trailers. I used a disc that had been used quite a few times, then when I went to play it on a DVD Player. The vignettes went crazy! Sound was all fuzzy, quality went to nearly like youtube vids :( The other trailers on the disc were fine, I only make them as a Video DVD for fun :)

Also it's the '1280x720 HD DivX' ones I download :tmb:

EscondeR
30-10-08, 17:08
It depends on DVD quality itself - use Verbatim, pretty durable discs :tmb:
Generally more rewriting cycles - worse the quality. It also depends how many sessions are done in Multisession mode and if the last session is closed.
Finalised discs usually are read better than "open sessioned".

St4r
30-10-08, 17:33
^ I prefer DVD-RAM for such reasons.

You could also connect the PCs via crossover cable.

TRfan23
30-10-08, 17:59
Generally more rewriting cycles - worse the quality. It also depends how many sessions are done in Multisession mode and if the last session is closed.
Finalised discs usually are read better than "open sessioned".

I use Sony ones, and I finalize discs not 'Open Session' them.

The part in bold I don't understand :confused: - like Multisession?

I like the fact that all the stuff inside Discs are is Aluminium, with dents/bumps :) Then layered with polycarbonate plastic, I dono why but get so facinated by DVD's (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvd.htm)\CD's (http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd.htm) Plus the laser in the OD reads the dents in a spiral...

Also how on earth on Flash Drives, can they make them so small but take in a lot of memory? I've seen ones can go up to like 16GB :yik:
Apparently it's something to do with them embeding the circuitry on a silicon board? I presume the silicon board is the green board thing, which is a great conductor of electricity?

Sorry if I'm kind of straying :off: Just get so interested :) Doing an electronics course for GCSE you know :D

EscondeR
30-10-08, 19:23
^ If you're interested in the subject, use online search engine :) Look for "Flash drive+principles"

Admles
30-10-08, 22:21

Spot on bro.

I only ever use Verbatim!

quarrystile
31-10-08, 16:41
Yes, full agreement with the use of CD/DVD RW discs. Flash drives too :D

BUT I noticed this in your opening post.....

Can I make them 'get together' via wifi? :confused:

IF you have wifi enabled computers then you should have no problem getting them to talk to each other.
(AND getting them all to connect to the internet, if you wanted to.)

Just run the "network setup wizard" ( found in "Start/control panel...." remembering to enable file and print sharing.
Your computers will happily swap large or small files backwards and forwards as much you like :D

I have 3 computers in my house ( My own PC and 1 each for my kids ) and I use this method ALL the time. My kids can also send documents to be printed out on the printer connected to my PC.

Just thought I would mention the above option.

EDIT..... Another option is IF you have Bluetooth gadgets connected to your PC's ( send them via this method ) :tmb: