PDA

View Full Version : The Old felling of playing TR is back ?

KIKO
01-11-08, 11:10
Oh my God, many of the threads point to that. I haven't seen these kind of threads since I saw the classics old threads. Did you know that, Rumours, Climbing what looked unclimbable, reach the... etc. Rumours threads, Exploration threads, etc.

Is it me or is most of you felling the same you felt when you played the classics ? With the exception of some important aspects.

And that just makes me want to play the demo, even though I can't.:jmp:

coolaideonfire
01-11-08, 11:12
Yep, I think so.

In the demo there was one point where a secret was located. It took me a little while to discover how to traverse across.

I hope there are more like this!

KIKO
01-11-08, 11:14
Yes most of you are very satisfied with the demo, and you've only played the demo, now imagine the rest:D

x2crazyidiot
01-11-08, 11:19
I feel very much the same

as I said in the review thread, I had played the demo 7 times and I'm still finding new paths to treasures or shortcuts to take
hopefully this will carry through the entire game :)

Angelx14
01-11-08, 11:21
Oh yes. I do feel pretty much that way. Though I'm not really sure about the "climbing what looked unclimbable" XD. Haven't find such thing yet xD. Eveything just points out where you can climb.

KIKO
01-11-08, 11:23
Oh yes. I do feel pretty much that way. Though I'm not really sure about the "climbing what looked unclimbable" XD. Haven't find such thing yet xD. Eveything just points out where you can climb.

Statues, you usually can't, but I saw pics where Lara stands in Shiva's arms, etc.. usually Lara would be putting her arms up and falling at any time like in TRA but no she doesn't, which is good. Hmm, CD really did a wonderfull job with Thailand:jmp:

Borges
01-11-08, 11:31
I agree, though I guess it's down to definitions, how you interpret what makes the classic TR games 'classic'. A big part of it for me is the sense of scale, the exploration, the puzzle solving; Legend was a big step away from that, but there's every indication that Underworld is a big step back in that direction. The demo had those elements, and I loved it. :D

jeffrey van oort
01-11-08, 11:42
The feeling back then was completely different because I had never played a videogame before. The insight I had at that time was so limited that I was not able to break the reality with virtuality.
TombRaider broke reality for me and the tombs she explored in the first few games, came to be my home away from home. TombRaider Underworld is now pretty much doing the same. I love to explore the areas and it really gives me the feeling that she is real and the place could have existed.

Tomb of Legends
01-11-08, 11:43
Hmm Im not sure about that. I havent played it but apart of that TR magic was bad graphics and complete silence with those echos.

They put the soundtrack back in (they said earlier on months ago they hadnt...just like the sprinting thing. Apparently there ISNT sprinting...)

Borges
01-11-08, 11:49
Hmm Im not sure about that. I havent played it but apart of that TR magic was bad graphics and complete silence with those echos.

That's what I mean about how you define what makes classic TR 'classic'. It might be atmosphere, or gameplay, or the puzzles, or any of 101 other things that are entirely personal to you.

Though I do know what you mean about the silence/echoes ... there were a few nice moments in the demo where the only sound was the groaning of the ledges when Lara reached them. Nice touch, I thought.

Tomb of Legends
01-11-08, 11:51
Take for instance, the Caves in TR1, you'll run along an a Duh Duh sound will echo every few minutes. It sounds like 2 hits of a piece of tin or something. Same thing in *shudders*..the Maria Dorria levels. Scary...

navinloveslara
01-11-08, 11:54
Yes most of you are very satisfied with the demo, and you've only played the demo, now imagine the rest:D

Yeah:jmp:.

"It's Tomb Raider!

And it's good again!"

loser66
01-11-08, 12:31
The demo didn't even have many puzzles, but by the looks of it, the main ones are gonna be GINORMOUS!!:D

Angelus
01-11-08, 12:45
I didn't get the old TR feeling while playing Underworld... it's too similar to Legend to be compared to the old TR games.

Priscilla
01-11-08, 12:47
I dont know, i never played the classics, played only TRL and TRA, but i do have a very strong feeling this game is going to be soooo much better than both TRL and TRA! :jmp:

navinloveslara
01-11-08, 12:49
I dont know, i never played the classics, played only TRL and TRA, but i do have a very strong feeling this game is going to be soooo much better than both TRL and TRA! :jmp:

It definitely will be;).

danny.rex
01-11-08, 12:58

They put the soundtrack back in (they said earlier on months ago they hadnt...just like the sprinting thing. Apparently there ISNT sprinting...)

There IS sprinting, check the controls before you play the demo

TRfan23
01-11-08, 13:06
I get the old TR feeling a bit again, but the feeling inside me feels updated slightly :)
It's a remake feeling to the old feeling :p bit like the TR1 remake! - TRA

I'm happy that my parents have now let me buy the game upon it's release :)
But I'm gonna be spoilt by the guide! It's TR all over again :D

Pabz1989
01-11-08, 13:07
I thought the 'classic' feeling was evident. I like they way that everything appears to be so vast, and this level in particular reminds me so much of TR3 i.e. the jungle levels.

Likay
01-11-08, 13:10
i actually had the "anniversary" feeling rather than the Legend. Mostly because she's by herself and in an exotic environment. Just where she belongs! It feels gooooood! :hug:

TRBeth
01-11-08, 13:16
In the sense that movement through the game is a challenge to get from one place to the next, and not just a quick walk-through the game (as in Legend), and that you do need to look for areas to explore (else you will miss them entirely), yes it is reminiscent of classic Tomb Raider games. Or, at least this demo-ed section of the game is.

I did think, though, that there were missed opportunities for exploration that would have added to the overall experience.

Scia
02-11-08, 00:48
The classic TR feeling is back, no doubt about it.

You should actually play the demo before you say things like this. Sprinting is back. You can also turn the music OFF, fyi :)

St4r
02-11-08, 00:51
The classic TR feeling is back, no doubt about it.

You can also turn the music OFF, fyi :)

I prefer it that way.

Hey, the music is epic! :p

But the feeling is definitely back for me, only with much more detail and possibilities. I so love all the parrots sitting around, the great and varied jumping and all the little bits that sum up to something that might become the greatest TR experience so far (at least for me).

navinloveslara
02-11-08, 00:52
i actually had the "anniversary" feeling rather than the Legend. Mostly because she's by herself and in an exotic environment. Just where she belongs! It feels gooooood! :hug:

Yes, me too. I prefer her on her own, rather than with those two monkeys chatting away like nobody's business:rolleyes:.

But the feeling is definitely back for me, only with much more detail and possibilities. I so love all the parrots sitting around, the great and varied jumping and all the little bits that sum up to something that might become the greatest TR experience so far (at least for me).

And for me too.

I think for a lot of others, as well;).

Scia
02-11-08, 00:53

Haha true enough :D

It's beautiful, but nostalgia makes me play without it.

Anarae
02-11-08, 01:16
For me, it felt like being back in the classics. I'm an incredibly difficult person to satisfy when it comes to Tomb Raider. I couldn't tolerate Legend (I've only beat it once) and was so bored with TRAE that I never finished after I beat Folly.

The atmosphere, hearing enemies long before you see them, and figuring out where to go next, plus the reintroduction of old moves and introducing new ones. It was over all a satisfying experience. Really intelligent gaming.

My only qualm is with the camera. It has a mind of its own and I have to guide it most of the time. The combat is dodgy, but it didn't bother me because I have no intention of using those ridiculous adrenaline movements.

Tomb of Legends
02-11-08, 01:18
I cant play the demo, so if you turn the music off do the other sounds remain..birds, gunfire, tiger growls..ect.

Someone said there wasnt sprinting..must have been an old post.

dizzydoil
02-11-08, 01:19
It's back.. or something similar to the classics is here :D. I love the feeling when playing.

fanoflaracroft
02-11-08, 01:22
I don't think the old feel is back. It's more like a new feel has come. Feel of a better game than all the other TR games.

silver_wolf
02-11-08, 01:58
^^ blasphemy
no, for me the old feeling is back :D

Troy
02-11-08, 02:10
That's good to hear that the old feeling is back.

Anarae
02-11-08, 03:35
I don't think the old feel is back. It's more like a new feel has come. Feel of a better game than all the other TR games.

I understand what you mean.

For me, there's only one feel and they either have it or they don't. They definitely have it thus far, with my current experience with the demo.

MattTR
02-11-08, 03:43
I don't think it's back for me, like others have said it's more like a new feel. :p At least it feels somewhat Tomb Raider-ish. :p

Ward Dragon
02-11-08, 03:45
I'd say the old feeling is back with a few updates. The demo felt like a cross between TR3 India and the garden tower of Warrior Within (which is a good thing because I love both of those level sections :D).

The atmosphere was great, especially the birds and how the enemies stalked Lara throughout the level to build up tension. There was a lot of room for exploration (most of it was for finding secrets) and it felt isolated in a great way. I thought the music was fine because it added to the beauty towards the start of the level and then it disappeared by the time we got to where the big puzzle will be in the full game. The level was much more interactive than anything in Legend or TRA, which contributed to a great sense of immersion.

My only real complaint is that the camera and controls on the PC version were a little flukey. They seemed much more reliable on the Xbox 360 version. Also there were some graphical glitches (especially with shadows) in both versions. I don't really mind the graphics errors, although if it's something easy to fix then I hope that the final version of the game has it fixed. I don't know if the PC camera and controls can be fixed, so I'll be getting the 360 version which I was going to get anyway for the DLC but this made the decision final.

Chris.Talg0
02-11-08, 05:48
the feeling is back, kinda, but the camera was just too awkward for me. if the camera behaved better then i guess the old feeling wouldn't be so ruined.

Nausinous
02-11-08, 09:20
Not so much an old feeling because I don't think that feeling can be ever truly captured again but definately a new sensation when playing. Heck, I'm actually addicted to Underworld more so than the classics!

Tomb of Legends
02-11-08, 09:21
So is the bottomless backpack back? <lol. At least for guns and medi packs?

knightgames
02-11-08, 09:37
For me, it felt like being back in the classics. I'm an incredibly difficult person to satisfy when it comes to Tomb Raider. I couldn't tolerate Legend (I've only beat it once) and was so bored with TRAE that I never finished after I beat Folly.

The atmosphere, hearing enemies long before you see them, and figuring out where to go next, plus the reintroduction of old moves and introducing new ones. It was over all a satisfying experience. Really intelligent gaming.

My only qualm is with the camera. It has a mind of its own and I have to guide it most of the time. The combat is dodgy, but it didn't bother me because I have no intention of using those ridiculous adrenaline movements.

There were some golden moments in TR:A after the Folly. In a few segments of Egypt I was grinning like I did on the original Raider. As a whole I agree regarding TR:A, but there were a few magical moments. If you still have the game try to find a save point to get to Egypt.

You know what would really improve the gameplay in TR:U and give it the old TR feel? Traps. Remember how devilishly tricky the first level in TR2 was? There were rolling blades, fallaway floor tiles, blades to avoid, and boulders to outrun? Can you imagine TR:U with a few sequences like that? Oooooh, can't forget about the spiked walls. he he heh.

I'm liking the demo for the most part. What I hope for, is that we don't get levels like Midas' Palace in TR:A. Yeah it was beautiful, but it was the main room surrounded by 3 or 4 small rooms. Once you're done oooooohing and ahhhhhing at how beautiful itwas you come to realize it was no where near as deep or as tricky as the original. Heck, in the original TR1 you had to figure a puzzle just to get into each room. TR:A was just a set of switches to open the door.

It's bugged me for a while that the main temples/tombs have all seemed to only have short branches off them.

Borges
02-11-08, 10:19
You know what would really improve the gameplay in TR:U and give it the old TR feel? Traps. Remember how devilishly tricky the first level in TR2 was? There were rolling blades, fallaway floor tiles, blades to avoid, and boulders to outrun? Can you imagine TR:U with a few sequences like that? Oooooh, can't forget about the spiked walls. he he heh.

Good point. Though who knows what fiendish surprises the full game has to offer?

Lud's Gate
02-11-08, 10:22

I'm liking the demo for the most part. What I hope for, is that we don't get levels like Midas' Palace in TR:A. Yeah it was beautiful, but it was the main room surrounded by 3 or 4 small rooms. Once you're done oooooohing and ahhhhhing at how beautiful itwas you come to realize it was no where near as deep or as tricky as the original. Heck, in the original TR1 you had to figure a puzzle just to get into each room. TR:A was just a set of switches to open the door.

It's bugged me for a while that the main temples/tombs have all seemed to only have short branches off them.

I agree about the traps. They had such an archaic "activated for the first time in years" feel. Hopefully they will include some, but they have to be careful with their camera angles for timed traps. I played Palace Midas yesterday. That timed puzzle - the one with the pillars and spikes to get the gold bar - was infuriating on the Wii.

This is what is worrying me the most, as TRA had dodgy camera angles and frustrating combat (on the Wii). I just hope it isn't identical this time with TRU. I can handle dodgy shadows but not dying over and over again/being eaten alive by an enemy you can't get the camera to even see!

As I go back to play TRA again I feel better about CD doing TRU. Despite the above I do enjoy that game's feel more than Legend. Legend is only fun the first time I played and I couldn't care less about the secret gem things (Pat Butcher lost her jewellry - LOL!). However, TRA has me addicted to finding the secrets. I hope the secrets are items and relics, not just shimmery stuff.

mrcube
02-11-08, 10:23
I think knightgames has a really good point there, that's probably what we're still lacking, but tbh i was blown away by the underworld demo, it ran beautifully on my system and was it's SO good to finally lose those on screen hits, they'd been driving me mad forever lol.

Ah... Tomb Raider is deffinately back.

Tomb of Legends
02-11-08, 10:39
Hmm, I didnt think about the traps. I bet thats the one thing lacking in TRU. You can bet it will be adressed in TR9 if we make enough noise. Look what has happened since we made that noise after TRL....AMAZING changes. You guys are now preaching that TR is finally back.

Both of us, CD, us, are on the right path here.

Johnnay
02-11-08, 10:40
yeh it feels like the classics

1 thing about the release dates of Underworld in mid november 2008 is that 10 Years ago Tomb Raider 3 was released around mid november 1998.
Weird eh. at least i'll celebrate tomb raider 3's 10 year anniversary with the relelase of Underworld

Tomb of Legends
02-11-08, 10:41
I thought about the same thing. Same months.

top-toddy
02-11-08, 11:24
cd have had to learn a lot about tr in a short amount of time (from legend-anniversary)
i think they hve shown a great beginning (a little shakey but im sure that core was the same) they have had 2 games to build up a stong foundation and they are gonna blow open all the doors and pull out the stops to show the loyal fan base that they are the next tombraider and they wont dissapoint us.

LittleDragonZ
02-11-08, 13:39
I am hoping that it will be as good as Anniversary, that was a enjoyable game and felt like the first few. I had not played the few before, I think my last was number 3. Perhaps I did play 4 though, I cannot remember well.

Encore
02-11-08, 13:52
Oh my God, many of the threads point to that. I haven't seen these kind of threads since I saw the classics old threads. Did you know that, Rumours, Climbing what looked unclimbable, reach the... etc. Rumours threads, Exploration threads, etc.

Is it me or is most of you felling the same you felt when you played the classics ? With the exception of some important aspects.

And that just makes me want to play the demo, even though I can't.:jmp:

Yes there is a lot more room for exploration in TRU. I wouldn't call it the same as playing the classics though because playing the classics I often got stuck (didn't know where to go). In the demo, there was more to explore but completing the demo itself was fairly easy.

TRBeth
02-11-08, 15:24
One thing that I don't really understand is CD's love of corridors. It never fails. You enter a tomb/ruin, and the first thing in is a winding corridor....and its here, again, in this demo. Enter the temple, go through winding corridors.

Ok, you expect a corridor when you enter an Egyptian Pyramid, but not a temple, for goodness sakes. Can't we just enter and it be a big explorable room? Ok, after the corridors there is a big explorable room, but does it make sense that you enter a hallway as soon as you go into a temple? I know TR has always had lots of hallways, but for some reason, they stick out like a sore thumb in recent games.

Encore
02-11-08, 15:35
One thing that I don't really understand is CD's love of corridors. It never fails. You enter a tomb/ruin, and the first thing in is a winding corridor....and its here, again, in this demo. Enter the temple, go through winding corridors.

Ok, you expect a corridor when you enter an Egyptian Pyramid, but not a temple, for goodness sakes. Can't we just enter and it be a big explorable room? Ok, after the corridors there is a big explorable room, but does it make sense that you enter a hallway as soon as you go into a temple? I know TR has always had lots of hallways, but for some reason, they stick out like a sore thumb in recent games.

CD's approach is more "how to move from A to B", while Core's approach was more about doing a certain number of things (not just acrobatics) inside area A or area B.

So, CD's games focus more on the trapped hallways, and the ledges and poles and climbing this and that, to move from one place to another; but on Core's games it was more about being inside one area (divided in rooms) and just having to do a series of actions, picking up items, in that area (like the Cistern or the Palace Midas, which are entire levels that take place in just one big area).

The last portion of the demo (the Shiva area) seems to be a lot more in the old style again, because it's a very big area and it seems you have to wander around it for a while solving a couple of puzzles, in order to leave it.

young Lara Croft
02-11-08, 15:38
I love it , and I really do feel like I'm playing a classic action/adventure! :tmb:
The graphics make it more contemporary! But it doesn't bother me! despite the new set of animations and Lara's firm grab method everything is beautiful!

Naz2000
02-11-08, 16:09
I can't say if it brings back the old TR feeling or not, because I haven't actually played the demo,but I can think of one particular part of the demo where it really did hit me.

It's after the cutscene where Lara talks about the "severely whethered" writing on the wall. She glances over the enormous statue and then the player is just left standing on the high ledge, overlooking the giant temple with a slight ambience in the background. The words "Bhogavati" appear below and immediatley I thought to myself "What on Earth would I do now?" It's incredible and really captures the TR essence. I'm so eager to play the game.

gtkilla
02-11-08, 16:56
The old feeling was there. :D However, I only felt it in the courtyard area while trying to fix the lift and solving what could be solved in the main puzzle. That feeling of "what the hell do I do now?" was definitely present. Now just imagine the full game! :jmp:

Chocola teapot
02-11-08, 17:04
I used to Love the old feeling of being alone and in constant danger!
It gave me a buzz that only Tomb raider could give! And if the games are gonna be like they were then I cant wait! :D

silver_wolf
02-11-08, 17:17
Hmm, I didnt think about the traps. I bet thats the one thing lacking in TRU. You can bet it will be adressed in TR9 if we make enough noise. Look what has happened since we made that noise after TRL....AMAZING changes. You guys are now preaching that TR is finally back.
I wouldn't worry about traps. According to CD and some reviews, there's loads- and they're awful! (in a good way)

Scia
02-11-08, 17:28
I cant play the demo, so if you turn the music off do the other sounds remain..birds, gunfire, tiger growls..ect.

Yes, the music track and the 'sound effects' track are separate, so you can turn the music off and still enjoy all the animals and ambient sounds (That deep repeating drone in the last area sets a really fantastic tone).

Someone said there wasnt sprinting..must have been an old post.

People have also said that the Sonar Map doesn't appear in the demo, even though it does. It's actually kinda nifty.

So is the bottomless backpack back? <lol. At least for guns and medi packs?

Yes, she carries all the guns and items you can find - just like the classics :D

The demo starts you with the pistols, sub-machine guns, shotgun, tranquilizer gun, and spear gun.

silver_wolf
02-11-08, 17:29
People have also said that the Sonar Map doesn't appear in the demo, even though it does. It's actually kinda nifty.
I liked playing with that :D

Borges
02-11-08, 17:33
It's after the cutscene where Lara talks about the "severely whethered" writing on the wall. She glances over the enormous statue and then the player is just left standing on the high ledge, overlooking the giant temple with a slight ambience in the background. The words "Bhogavati" appear below and immediatley I thought to myself "What on Earth would I do now?" It's incredible and really captures the TR essence. I'm so eager to play the game.

That's it exactly. I really hope the game is chock-full of moments like that. It's what makes Tomb Raider, well, Tomb Raider.

gison
02-11-08, 18:05
Yes, the music track and the 'sound effects' track are separate, so you can turn the music off and still enjoy all the animals and ambient sounds (That deep repeating drone in the last area sets a really fantastic tone).

Yes, she carries all the guns and items you can find - just like the classics :D

The demo starts you with the pistols, sub-machine guns, shotgun, tranquilizer gun, and spear gun.

I haven't seen this spear gun in Legend and Anniversary. Am I right?

It's such a great feeling to have some items brought from the old games to Underworld. :D

Troy
02-11-08, 18:13
yeh it feels like the classics

1 thing about the release dates of Underworld in mid november 2008 is that 10 Years ago Tomb Raider 3 was released around mid november 1998.
Weird eh. at least i'll celebrate tomb raider 3's 10 year anniversary with the relelase of Underworld

It's kind of like Grand Theft Auto. I noticed GTA III came out in October 2000, GTA Vice City came out in October 2002, and GTA San Andreas came out in October 2004. And GTA IV came out in April 2008, weird isn't it?

pEhouse
02-11-08, 19:19
I can't agree that the old feeling is back. Not that I think the demo was bad, because it wasn't. I really enjoyed playing and I can't wait for the game. Everything looked great and I love how they have really been listening to us (how come nobody noticed her oxygen bar? She can hold her breath so much longer, just like the classics, loving it!).
But as Encore already said, the demo was still pretty easy to finish. Then again, it's the first level, they usually are not that hard.

KIKO
02-11-08, 19:38
I can't agree that the old feeling is back. Not that I think the demo was bad, because it wasn't. I really enjoyed playing and I can't wait for the game. Everything looked great and I love how they have really been listening to us (how come nobody noticed her oxygen bar? She can hold her breath so much longer, just like the classics, loving it!).
But as Encore already said, the demo was still pretty easy to finish. Then again, it's the first level, they usually are not that hard.

Second

Scia
02-11-08, 20:18
Yes, it's the second level.

The part of the Thailand level we play in the demo gets progressively harder (and progressively more TRish - nifty how those two go together ;) ) the further in you get, and judging by the screenshots the level is far from over - I bet it gets much harder (and even more TRish) later on.

I'd say we're in for a pretty challenging game, overall.

DanV
02-11-08, 20:24
Lara's agility + Harder levels + epic temples and landscapes + mithycal music = perfect tomb raider combination

TRBeth
02-11-08, 20:25
So, you have to wonder what happens after you complete the rather extravagant Shiva puzzle. Yes, of course the Underworld opens up.....into the next underworld level. Very curious about what that is all about.

Scia
02-11-08, 21:57
actually, there are screenshots that show a normal Thailand further along in the level. I don't think the Shiva/Kali puzzle opens the underworld like we expect it to, unless we enter the underworld and then exit another way - but then how does Lara get back to her boat?

Troy
02-11-08, 22:07
By the sounds of things, I can't wait to play Tomb Raider Underworld.

Candee Sparks
02-11-08, 23:12
Is it me or is most of you felling the same you felt when you played the classics ?

Not really. Maybe if there wasn't so much confusion and anger resonating from the lack of knowledge with certain release dates of gaming consoles then maybe I'd actually feel excited to even play or own it.