PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sued over Princess Di Pics

TheEveningStar
29-04-04, 01:34
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/eo/20040428/capt.fcd33470af85d00a12d45c2f0cb5c32c

By Lia Haberman

CBS has learned the hard way: Don't mess with the princess.

The Tiffany network is being sued by Mohamed al Fayed, the father of Princess Diana's companion killed alongside her in a 1997 car crash, following CBS' decision to broadcast photos of a dying Diana.

While paparazzi pics of Fayed's son, Dodi, were not shown during last Wednesday's 48 Hours Investigates, the grieving father filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles late last week claiming invasion of privacy and emotional distress.

Fayed, owner of London's upscale department store Harrods, is reportedly considering expanding the lawsuit to cover a charge of defamation against the network.

In return, a statement from the network said the lawsuit was "meritless and we intend to vigorously defend ourselves."

All along, CBS has claimed the black-and-white photos taken of an unconscious Diana being treated by a doctor, slumped in the back seat of a car in Paris, were "in no way graphic or exploitative."

But the images provoked outrage among Di's family members, friends and even the British press, which labeled the pics "sickening," "horrific" and "macabre."

The show aimed to probe the circumstances surrounding Diana's death and debunk several of the conspiracy theories associated with the accident, many of which have been put forth by Fayed who's openly suspected that the princess and his son were the victims of a professional hit job to spare Britain's royal family of any embarrassment.

"To the extent that it (the TV program) addressed Mohamed al Fayed's beliefs in a very skeptical manner, we find that to be inappropriate and we are considering our reaction to that. We are examining whether we have appropriate claims for defamation at this point," Fayed's lawyer Fred Gaines told Reuters.

An initial investigation by the French labeled the crash an accident caused by the chauffeur who was allegedly speeding while under the influence. He was also killed. A formal probe launched by Britain's royal coroner in January has so far failed to validate any conspiracy theories.

On Monday, the chief of police, Sir John Stevens, retraced Diana's last steps in Paris from the Ritz hotel to the fateful traffic tunnel, Pont de l'Alma, where she died, as part of the ongoing investigation. The move came under fire from some victims rights groups, who criticized the inquiry's estimated $3.5 million dollar price tag.
Yahoo.com

TheEveningStar
29-04-04, 13:08
I think that is good, they should have learned a long time ago not to mess around with the princess. I love Diana, and I think they should leave her alone.

sweetpea
29-04-04, 14:42
Well said!
I love Princess Diana too!!