PDA

View Full Version : Windows is starting up...

God Horus
05-11-08, 15:12
When I turn on my PC, it says Windows is starting up like it always does, but it just stays there and nothing happens. I've tried restarting several times, and waiting to see if anything happens, but it doesn't. What should I do?!

Lavinder
05-11-08, 16:49
Have you tried booting in safe mode?

EscondeR
05-11-08, 17:01
Have you installed any Windows updates/third party software before that issue? Was the installation finished correctly?

As Laura suggested, try Safe Mode, then run ARDiag.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/ardiag.exe) and post the report here.

Jeet
06-11-08, 02:33
When I turn on my PC, it says Windows is starting up like it always does, but it just stays there and nothing happens. I've tried restarting several times, and waiting to see if anything happens, but it doesn't. What should I do?!

Is The HDD Light Blinking That Time?

God Horus
26-11-08, 22:00
Sorry to bump, but I have this problem again. It has happened every time I start my computer the last two days. It says Windows is Starting up, and I have to leave it for about a half hour until it starts up. I haven't installed any new software since the TRU demo... What else can I do?

NatlaCrazyness
26-11-08, 22:02
Sorry to bump, but I have this problem again. It has happened every time I start my computer the last two days. It says Windows is Starting up, and I have to leave it for about a half hour until it starts up. I haven't installed any new software since the TRU demo... What else can I do?

Format is a good solution if your on mood to do so.

Drone
26-11-08, 22:03
did you mess with system files lately? added/removed anything? It can be the reason. Sometimes even windows reinstall can't help. I suggest you to run some antivirus.

And if nothing helps it's better to format

God Horus
26-11-08, 22:05
Is there anything else to do other than formatting? If I format I will loose so much stuff, I can try and back it all up, but still, I'll loose too much! :(

NatlaCrazyness
26-11-08, 22:06
did you mess with system files lately?
If he\she messed up with WINDOWS folder files the results would be worse. (I still remember when I deleted .DLL files from system32 :pi:)

Is there anything else to do other than formatting? If I format I will loose so much stuff, I can try and back it all up, but still, I'll loose too much!
Make a partiton, install Linux, backup your files. That is my recommendation
Make backups on a USB stick next time!

Drone
26-11-08, 22:06
Is there anything else to do other than formatting? If I format I will loose so much stuff, I can try and back it all up, but still, I'll loose too much! :(

antivirus

and then

system restore

If he\she messed up with WINDOWS folder files the results would be worse. (I still remember when I deleted .DLL files from system32 :pi:)

aaaargh don't tell me about it. it's my old pain. I did delete some dlls from system 32 and windows folder once too.

And got the same problem as God Horus. Your windows is loading for ages and you just can't log in!

God Horus
26-11-08, 22:07
I never even entered system32, my old computer got really messed up when I installed IE7 and a dll file went missing.

edit - WOAH! I just checked and I only have 500 MB of free space on my hard disk.. Could this be causing it?

NatlaCrazyness
26-11-08, 22:08

Edited my post ;)
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3260178&postcount=9

God Horus
26-11-08, 22:25
Thanks, but I want to know if there are any other things I can do first, before I made a partition or anything.

NatlaCrazyness
26-11-08, 22:26
Thanks, but I want to know if there are any other things I can do first, before I made a partition or anything.
Like Drone said, try a System Restore. It normally works. And before System Restore, back up everything that you want into a USB stick.

P.S: And after the restore, make a defrag :p

God Horus
26-11-08, 22:28
System restore I could try, but I first had this problem on November 5th, then it stopped for about a week, now it happens almost every time I restart my computer. How far back should I restore?

Drone
26-11-08, 22:28
500 mb? youve gotta be kidding. 10%-20% of hard drive always to stay free. try to remove some crap. Use ccleaner too, defragment afterwards.

what is the capacity of your hdd anyway?

NatlaCrazyness
26-11-08, 22:29
500 mb

Didn't read that, so with that capacity I don't think you should restore, it take HDD space.

I have to go now, bye!

God Horus
26-11-08, 22:30
I use CCleaner a lot :o The capacity of my hard drive is 37 GB :o I'll try to uninstall the TRU demo and other junk I don't need.

Drone
26-11-08, 22:32
as NatlaCrazyness said then don't use system restore. Uninstall all crap and defragment. it should help

God Horus
26-11-08, 22:54
Thanks guys, I cleaned out my hard drive and will leave my PC on all night for defragmentation. I usually use PowerDefrag, are there any other better ones.

EscondeR
27-11-08, 06:57
If you still have this issue, start with this next time:

As Laura suggested, try Safe Mode, then run ARDiag.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/ardiag.exe) and post the report here.

spikejones
27-11-08, 07:10
lets play "pin the tail on the diagnosis!!"
I agree with what esconder suggested and I may add in a tid bit of a suggestion as well.. windows updates, especially if they have not been downloaded and installed in a while, then recently set to "automatic" can present with this symptom.

I recently set up a machine for a client that had not been turned on for two years. needless to say I was fighting with the automatic updates for memory and cpu power until I realized what was happening. then I shut them off temporarily while I did my work, then turned them back on and sat at the machine doing absolutely nothing but burning up the clock.

KurtisLonely
27-11-08, 07:13
I had the same problem.. system restore didn't help.. -.- had to re´nstall windows to fix it.. :/ thank god it DID save my files! o.o

NatlaCrazyness
27-11-08, 17:04
Thanks guys, I cleaned out my hard drive and will leave my PC on all night for defragmentation. I usually use PowerDefrag, are there any other better ones.

Windows has a defrag program you know :whi:

spikejones
27-11-08, 17:06
Windows has a defrag program you know :whi:

which is not as effective as some other third party applications.

I think that the question was referring to the issue of what is THE BEST application to use.

NatlaCrazyness
27-11-08, 17:14
which is not as effective as some other third party applications.

I think that the question was referring to the issue of what is THE BEST application to use.

And I anwsered it. :)

irjudd
27-11-08, 18:05
And I anwsered it. :)
You gave a false answer though. :whi:

I like Diskeeper, Auslogics Defragger, Defraggler, and IOBits Smart Defrag.

Drone
27-11-08, 20:10
windows defrag program works perfectly, never had a reason to use something else

EscondeR
27-11-08, 20:14
^ Internal Defrag became better indeed in XP and Vista in comparison with '98 nightmare, but above mentioned programs are by degree better :)

NatlaCrazyness
27-11-08, 20:20
^ Internal Defrag became better indeed in XP and Vista in comparison with '98 nightmare, but above mentioned programs are by degree better :)

What was the problem of defrag on 98? :confused:

EscondeR
28-11-08, 07:43
^ It was slow as hell and... not actually defragmentating :mis:

Anyway, back on topic folks.