PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

kooky
08-11-08, 23:21
I just scanned my computer with my mcafee security center & it said a Trojan on my PC was Quarantined, what does that mean? Is that supposed to mean it was removed or something? (I had no problem at all removing the potentially unwanted program a.k.a PUP)

tlr online
08-11-08, 23:23
It would appear the bug has been moved to a special folder for quarantine. Once you have confirmed it is a bug and not a false alert, it should be safe to delete the file. Scan your quarantine folder with www.kaspersky.com for confirmation of detection.

EscondeR
08-11-08, 23:40
Yup. Normally the suspicious file is moved to quarantine/vault/sandbox folder (call it as you like) :)

If you confirm it's safe it'll be moved to original location
If you confirm it's a virus/malware it'll be deleted
If you don't confirm anything, antivirus itself waits for any change of file status (due to definitions update or your decission), when the period is over antivirus deletes the file from the vault (by default settings)

kooky
08-11-08, 23:47
Where can I find this folder at? Sorry I never heard of quarantine before... could you guild me to the folder your talking about?

EscondeR
08-11-08, 23:51
Must be Program Files\McAffee ...\quarantine

kooky
08-11-08, 23:53
Must be Program Files\McAffee ...\quarantine

I went to the mcafee folder & There was no folder named "quarantine"... :(

http://i38.************/2lupd93.jpg

EscondeR
09-11-08, 00:02
Just perform a full drive search for the name of infected/suspicious file :) or look insubfolders of McAffee folder.

kooky
09-11-08, 00:21
Just perform a full drive search for the name of infected/suspicious file :) or look insubfolders of McAffee folder.

I preformed a full search on my PC & I still didn't find the file, it is called Mbam-dor.exe & all the mcafee software says that it is quarantined, So I supposed the software deleted it by itself? :confused:

Punaxe
09-11-08, 03:03
My McAfee version, Enterprise 8.5i, puts quarantained data in C:\QUARANTAINE. You can change this (and see where it is) when you go to the VirusScan Console and double-click the quarantaine policy. This is also where you can tell it to auto-delete or not and after how many days.