PDA

View Full Version : CPU cores vs CPU speed

Henhead
11-11-08, 21:29
Been looking at CPU's and Motherboards after my PC died

Seen a Asus M2N-VM-DVI Motherboard with 2GB Ram

An advanced AMD motherboard with High Definition Multimedia DVI support and lots of features:

Supports Playback of HD DVD and Blu-ray Discs with HDCP compliant
Support Dual-VGA output (DVI-D&RGB)
Support AMD Socket AM2+ CPU
Integrated Geforce®7 Series graphics
PCI Express x16 architecture
max. 8GB Dual channel DDR2 800
4*SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0,RAID 1, RAID10,RAID 5 and JBOD
Gb LAN

With a AMD Athlon 6000+ X2 Dual Core 3.1GHz 1MB Cache for £145 inc p&p

or a AMD Phenom™ 8450 Triple-Core 2.1GHz 3.5MB Cache for £155 inc p&p

Is it worth an Extra £10 to get an extra core but loose a whole gig in speed or am i better of with the dual core running at a higher speed?

Just looking at the moment if you know of any good deal on boards and cpu and memory let me know :D

Apofiss
11-11-08, 21:55
Hint: the best price/performance atm is Intel E7200 or E8400 (+25% expensive) with P43 chipset MB (Gigabyte would do).

EscondeR
12-11-08, 05:49
Is it worth an Extra £10 to get an extra core but loose a whole gig in speed or am i better of with the dual core running at a higher speed?

1. Very nice board and choice of the platform actually :tmb:

2. It all depends on tasks: for database extra core is much welcome, for gaming those two will be mostly equal if other specs are equal. But as the question is £10 :) I'd say get Phenom (look for the quad-core BTW).

Henhead
12-11-08, 08:17
The Quad,,,

AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core 2.3GHz 4MB Cache is £50 more at £205 for the package.

Would rather spend the extra £50 towards a new hard drive for it. As I could always upgrade the CPU at a later date if I needed to.

I was hoping to use to me existing case and PSU to save some cash, will a P4 PSU work with the MB or is is new PSU on the cards as well.

At the moment I just want to get the PC up and running, to get off this old one I am having to use (P3 700mhz 256mb ram :D )

I will upgrade the graphics etc when cash becomes available.

It just occurred to me I guess this will mean having to buy a new OS for it, I have a bought boxed copy of Windows XP Pro, that is registered in my name for my dead P4 machine, can I transfer this license to my new machine, or will I have to buy a new one.

If so XP Or Vista

EscondeR
12-11-08, 09:30
1. XP surely (if you install 4Gb RAM or more then XP x64).

2. What's the power output of your current PSU and what connectors (MoBo connectors) does it have?

3. Then go for Triple Core Phenom definitely.

Henhead
12-11-08, 18:11
1. XP surely (if you install 4Gb RAM or more then XP x64).

2. What's the power output of your current PSU and what connectors (MoBo connectors) does it have?

3. Then go for Triple Core Phenom definitely.

1. XP it is then, hopefully I can transfer my license if I explain my other machine is dead. If not is the 32bit or 64bit version better for me? (prob sticking with the 2gb ram for the time being) I am guessing the phenom is a 64 bit processor?

2. Its a 350w PSU with a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector

3. Have decided on the triple core option ;)

EscondeR
12-11-08, 19:28
1. I am guessing the phenom is a 64 bit processor?

2. Its a 350w PSU with a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector

3. Have decided on the triple core option ;)

1. Yup. 64bit CPU can run 32bit OS :)

2. Not enough definitely. You need a decent 600W PSU - Zalman or Chieftech will fit.

3. :tmb:

Henhead
14-11-08, 18:45
Gutted, got the money together to get it, and the Triple Core Phenom option had gone (sold out I guess)

So I went with the Athlon 6000+ X2 Dual Core 3.1GHz, also have ordered a 550w power supply from elsewhere, so hopefully by this time next week, it should all be up and running.

Just the XP hurdle left to jump :D

EscondeR
14-11-08, 18:49
Well, you can easily upgrade to Phenom later :)

Henhead
14-11-08, 19:04
Well, you can easily upgrade to Phenom later :)

I am guessing it will suit my needs for the time being, I lived with a P4 2.4ghz 512mb ram for for the past 4 years or so.

So this will be a HUGE improvement. Maybe I will be able to run AOD on my pc now :)

Henhead
20-11-08, 20:08
All my bits came yesterday, so its all up and running now :jmp:

XP activated with my key first time with no problems, so that was a bonus :D

XP and all my drivers are all up-to date (took a while). Got my IDE card in and running as the MB only had one IDE channel and I have 3 IDE dvd drives.

My main and only hard drive is a SATA drive, so that helps with the overall speed of the system.

The PSU and CPU fans are really quiet, much more quiet than my old set up.

So far I am very happy with it, it seems very fast at opening applications and stuff.

Just a case now of tweaking with it and installing all necessary programs ;)

EscondeR
21-11-08, 05:12
:tmb: If you need any help with programs and/or optimizing performance, just come to ask :)