PDA

View Full Version : Another new PC thread...

SLAYER
15-11-08, 17:21
Well as the title says , its time for a new pc... my current pc wont run TRU and isn't upgradable :o and i need your help :)

my budget is around 1000$. i hadnt been following the prices lately :o . this ofcourse excluding monitor , speakers , mouse and keyboard.

Thanx :D

EscondeR
15-11-08, 18:21
Check my post HERE (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135954&page=2) :) , just change CPU to Quad Core Phenom and look for more powerful video board. Generally you need to fit the limit of 670 on that site.

SLAYER
16-11-08, 17:59
i don't know about the amd platform, i've always been an intel fanboi :D jk..
i had in mind the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, and its almost in the same price range as the AMD PhenomX4 9850 BLACK EDITION. this is very confusing XD, which one has better performance?

and a n00bi question, are crossfire and SLI similar? will they both work with Nvidia v.boards ?
(im sure the answer would be no, but im asking to see which MOBO would be better for future upgrades)

Rinnerz
16-11-08, 18:13
and a n00bi question, are crossfire and SLI similar? will they both work with Nvidia v.boards ?
(im sure the answer would be no, but im asking to see which MOBO would be better for future upgrades)

Well, CrossFire is to ATI video cards as SLI is to nVidia cards, if this makes sense. I don't have enough experience with CrossFire and SLI systems to put it in technical terms, but that's the gist of it.

If you wanted a system with more than one nVidia card, your system would have to support a SLI setup. If you wanted to do the same but with more than one ATI card, then you'd need a CrossFire setup. Obviously, these cannot be mixed-and-matched together, either. If you went for a SLI-capable system, all the video cards operating together in SLI mode would need to be nVidia, not ATI. The same holds true for ATI cards and CrossFire.

Hope that came out clear enough :o

EDIT: As for your first question, I haven't really done my homework on that yet so I'd rather leave that one to EscondeR ;)

EscondeR
17-11-08, 06:47
Well... you can blame me of being an AMD fan :D but experience shows me that AMD CPUs deliver you the same or better performance (depending on application/optimization) than Intel CPUs, being also cheaper (cheaper doesn't mean worse :mis: ).

SLAYER
17-11-08, 10:21
well its not easy to find an am2+ mobo with sli support other than these nforce thingies which i think arn't cheap, and im not the type who changes motherboards every 2-3 weeks :mis: . so i have to make the right decision about mobo + cpu.

and will the AMD PhenomX4 9850 be enough for the next 3 years :D

EscondeR
17-11-08, 10:51
It all depends on your needs. If you plan to run the latest games during those 3 years, then no CPU will last decently IMO... I'd better forecast for 1,5 years max.

SLAYER
17-11-08, 11:01
loool
after looking at some reviews and checking price tags im convinced to change to amd , i'll search more later