PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Lara - something I don't understand

ccroft2003
15-11-08, 21:28
What i can't understand is that CD say they deliverately didn't make the new TRU Lara model as realistic as they could have as they wanted to keep her still quite cartoony. However they always seem to create these great artist renders to use for promotional stuff like the game cover and for magazines etc. Curious!

What are CD and Eidos's reasonings for this? With new games coming out with much better details to the character models (Resident Evil 5 for example) they need to up their game still. :o

gtkilla
15-11-08, 21:33
The renders still have Lara's trademark cartoony proportions too...like the one in your avi.

Anarae
15-11-08, 21:34
Lara is supposed to maintain her cartoonishness. If she's too realistic she becomes attainable and like any other character. That chick (Clair?) from Resident Evil 5 looks fantastic, but she reminds me of about ten other people.

When you look at Lara Croft you never think, "O Hai, she looks like my aunt Mitsy." And that's why.

ChingKong
15-11-08, 21:36
lol...yea...and in the first place lara was never meant to look real...CD was prolly just following that..

ccroft2003
15-11-08, 21:36
The renders still have Lara's trademark cartoony proportions too...like the one in your avi.

Yes they do however in-game Lara looks nothing like or nealy half as good as the Lara in my avi. There's no reason why they can't increase how realistic Lara looks in-game if they are going to create her looking like this in my avi to put on the game cover! I know it's always been this way in TR but now that technology is this good there is no reason for this :)

remote91
15-11-08, 21:38
To remind perverts she isn't real.

ChingKong
lara is meant to be unrealistic if they made her look any more real it would prolly look weird

gtkilla
Yes they do however in-game Lara looks nothing like or nealy half as good as the Lara in my avi. There's no reason why they can't increase how realistic Lara looks in-game if they are going to create her looking like this in my avi to put on the game cover! I know it's always been this way in TR but now that technology is this good there is no reason for this :)

Renders always look more polished than in-game models, this is nothing new. Besides, the in-game model isn't that far off from the renders anyway...at least the Plastic Wax ones for TR:L, TR:A, and the first two for TR:U.

ccroft2003
15-11-08, 21:39
I just can't understand with today's technology why they would create renders for posters etc with Lara looking relatively realistic and not match that for in-game and then CD feed us some cr@p about them doing it for a reason :|

xRikux89
15-11-08, 21:40
I think keeping the cartoony proportions is a good idea, mostly for the reason Anarae stated. Then again, I also think she should be given more realistic textures so she wouldn't look so out of place in-game, like some people suggested in the poll thread we had on this subject a while back. Her skin texture especially.

ChingKong
15-11-08, 21:41
posters aer only promotional and flashy...if lara would look in game the way she does on all the high res renders and whatnot the game would be super slow i bet

NightWish
yes, I almost understand what you mean. I think that the model of lara now looks incredibly realistic! BUT the textures on gher dont add up to that realism and make her look worse then her suroundings

silver_wolf
she looks fine!

NightWish
15-11-08, 21:49
she looks fine!

she is fine but could have been better - the only problem is the textures

Dia2blo
15-11-08, 21:51
just out of interest, if they are refusing to make her more realistic, why has she suddenly developed stress lines and worn away teeth?

gtkilla
15-11-08, 21:58
just out of interest, if they are refusing to make her more realistic, why has she suddenly developed stress lines and worn away teeth?

Are we playing the same game?

Philio
15-11-08, 21:58
Some people have to go find a job quickly. :whi: :wve:

Troy
15-11-08, 22:33
I wish Lara looked the most realistic Crystal Dynamics could make her. It would give Tomb Raider an edge on competition.

toxicraider
15-11-08, 22:41
She's a lot more realistic in the way her skin wrinkles as she talks, but yes her textures are a bit flat, and the shaders on her skin just aren't particularly realistic, the way she sweats, gets wet, is muddy/dirty etc.

Lara.Jolie7
15-11-08, 23:53
Lara is supposed to maintain her cartoonishness. If she's too realistic she becomes attainable and like any other character. That chick (Clair?) from Resident Evil 5 looks fantastic, but she reminds me of about ten other people.

When you look at Lara Croft you never think, "O Hai, she looks like my aunt Mitsy." And that's why.

Love the exemple
hahahahahhahaha

Tom1358
16-11-08, 00:11
even the merc in the new trailer seems to have more realistic textures than lara. that's really weird.

Tear
16-11-08, 01:00
I believe that Lara could have looked more realistic but still look like Lara.
I don't think it necessarily means that it doesn't look like her anymore.

Dia2blo
16-11-08, 01:05
Are we playing the same game?

Seriously, watch at least that first cut scene of the thailand demo, she looks absoloutely awful. i admit that she looks a hell of a lot better in other cutscenes but seriously, if i hadnt seen the game before. *pukes* she looks diseased!

TRBeth
16-11-08, 01:09
CD is using the Legend game engine, that has been built upon. This means graphics from 3 years ago that's been tweaked. They've really improved the look of the environments by layering on environmental details, however, with the game characters, you can't really "layer" on much more of anything, so we basically have the Legend quality Lara (slightly improved from that, but, not by much).

I'm thinking to keep up in the industry, they are going to have do better in the next game or will be left behind as was CORE by the time TR3 came out.

Sekhraider
16-11-08, 01:09
Seriously, watch at least that first cut scene of the thailand demo, she looks absoloutely awful. i admit that she looks a hell of a lot better in other cutscenes but seriously, if i hadnt seen the game before. *pukes* she looks diseased!

Well its not that she looks bad cuz she looks good. But the problem I had with the first seconds of the Thailand cutscene, were the terrible ridges of shadows along her chest, arms, and collar bones. It didnt look right. Seems to me that, CD didnt take the time in making sure certain shadows were going to look right in motion while Lara was walking and talking. Gosh, it kind of annoyed me. But oh well.

Dia2blo
16-11-08, 01:16
Well its not that she looks bad cuz she looks good. But the problem I had with the first seconds of the Thailand cutscene, were the terrible ridges of shadows along her chest, arms, and collar bones. It didnt look right. Seems to me that, CD didnt take the time in making sure certain shadows were going to look right in motion while Lara was walking and talking. Gosh, it kind of annoyed me. But oh well.

I know right!! I mean, whos teeth have that many shadows? (i really hate her teeth for some reason... maybe i'm projecting :D)

Greven
16-11-08, 04:46
I've had problems with the weird shadows in other games too. I think it was Mass Effect for PC for example. I just turned off dynamic shadows or something like that and it looked much better.

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-11-08, 05:39
I hate her cartoony look. :(

tranniversary119
16-11-08, 05:41
There's a certain level of realness for video games. Lara, needs her cartoonish look otherwise she probably wouldn't be Lara.

boxybrown
16-11-08, 05:51
I have had serious lag issues with the demo, it finally got a smoother after i disabled all the effects on 1024X768 with high medium textures. I use a single 7600GT 128-bit it always played TRA perfectly. But this game, i hope the full version will be different than the demo. Its gonna finish downloading in 1 hr.

H4RR7H
16-11-08, 06:00
Her proportions are most definitely improved from Legend though :tmb:

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff201/H4RR7H/TRLRender1a.jpg

Look at her legs?! :eek: And her abdomen!!! :yik: It looks good above the belly button though :tmb:
The underworld Lara looks good all over, I reckon:
http://i.tombraiderchronicles.com/tombraiderunderworld_renders_01/screen002_nm.jpg

MattTR
16-11-08, 06:02
^She's always had long legs, in my opinion. :o

Maybe they wanted to keep the current model in par with Legend and Anniversary's. I have a feeling that in TR9, we'll have a very realistic model indeed. :tmb: She looks pretty realistic to me, though! :D

H4RR7H
16-11-08, 06:05
I would appreciate the ditch of the cartoon characterture ('scuse spelling :p) though... It definitely still made it to TRU :(

^She's always had long legs, in my opinion. :o

The legs themselves look okay - but look at the way her ass just juts out backwards leaving this sickly curve down to her groin!
Where would her organs go?! :eek:

I-mod
16-11-08, 06:28
i sadly agree...people just dont play games for the game anymore they play them for the way they look...and to kill their friends without actually killing them XD

H4RR7H
16-11-08, 06:43
...and to kill their friends without actually killing them XD

:vlol: too true

Sekhraider
16-11-08, 07:07
I know right!! I mean, whos teeth have that many shadows? (i really hate her teeth for some reason... maybe i'm projecting :D)
Haha. I didnt even notice it. I was paying too much attention to how her shoulders looked lol. I'll have to go back and take a look.
I've had problems with the weird shadows in other games too. I think it was Mass Effect for PC for example. I just turned off dynamic shadows or something like that and it looked much better.
See at first I thought it was my computer when I first downloaded it. Then when I played the demo on xbox, it had the same shadow issues. And seeing the goodness in demand on TRC, it was there too. I think that there really were issues with the shadows. When you look at other cutscenes, the shadows arent all messed up. Its probably just the Thailand footage (I hope). Im wishing that this can be fixed for the final version.
I would appreciate the ditch of the cartoon characterture ('scuse spelling :p) though... It definitely still made it to TRU :(

The legs themselves look okay - but look at the way her ass just juts out backwards leaving this sickly curve down to her groin!
Where would her organs go?! :eek:
You know I always thought that image looked a little disproportionate and scary. She looks alright up until you get to her waste and backside. Its like they made her wayy too skinny for her hips. Seems to me CD goes back and forth with how volumptuous they want to make Lara appear. In TRL, she looked full and athletic. In TRA, she looked full in some renders but in other she looked anorexic with no butt but then curvy and muscular? In TRU, she finally looks more proportionate but then she has no butt?? lol Oh well.

One thing I wanna add about how someone said people play games for how the characters look and not so much the story/game play, I dont think thats mostly true. For one thing with the TR games, yes the story and gameplay are important, but Eidos really emphasized Lara's sex-appeal to get the male gamers to play and her independence to get the female players to play. So naturally after all of these years, people are going to want to see how realistic or cool or sexy Miss Croft is. Its almost become a fact about Tomb Raider. A Tomb Raider game is not a Tomb Raider game if Lara doesn't look enticing, strong, sexy, lethal, and independent. Im sure with other games, people care more about gameplay; but to not care about the appearance of the character, is to not care about how Jill or Chris look in Resident Evil (which a lot of people care about). But games with like the Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario Bros, no one is going to care how many quails Sonic has on his head and if they look 3-D enough or how red Mario's hat is. All that is really on the publisher and how much they've pushed to make the appearance of their characters signature and important, not so much the fan base.

H4RR7H
16-11-08, 07:09
...Seems to me CD goes back and forth with how volumptuous they want to make Lara appear...

:vlol: :tmb:

ccroft2003
16-11-08, 11:52
Sorry but i think the purpose of this thread has been miss-understood. What i meant by this thread was to pose a question - why does Eidos use artwork versions of Lara looking relatively realistic for posters and the game covers etc but not utilised this same level of detail or realism for the actual in-game model? This was not meant to be to point out that her legs might be too long. I don' care about that!

CD have said all along that they could make Lara look much more realistic if they wanted to but held back as they wanted her to still look relatively cartoony yet they still use these artwork versions of Lara for promotional use? This is what i don't undestand. It's obvious to me they still want her to look better than she does in the game for this?

Do you think Lara should look the same in-game as she does in the artwork renders? For me she looks totally different. I'm just questioning CD and Eidos. :D

tha_mattster
16-11-08, 12:01
Doesn't that apply to all games? That the promotional renders are much higher quality than the in game models?

Elysion
16-11-08, 12:34
Because, if CD (or whoever else responsible) gives us all that we want and expect, do you really think the next game sequence will be exciting and filled with new goodies? There has to be something unfinished for the big" to be continued..." .A perfect cliché. It bugs me too, the way Lara didn't exactly blend in the environment, but, psychologically, we've been accustomed to see her the way she was(is) in the past TR, so seeing her realistic could be a little disturbing for the reasons previously given in this thread. About the posters, well, I think there always gonna be difference between the promo materials (better) and the actual game features(worse), cause it looks like a quick solution to make things greater, so why not, unlike the great amount of time & resources to make those same changes in the game (which eventually will end like the new WOW sequence of TR)...