PDA

View Full Version : Should I make a 2nd partition?

NatlaCrazyness
16-11-08, 00:01
Hello there, I'm going to format my friend's PC but I need a recomendation. Should I make a 2nd partiton (for data, etc) or only one?

shanqz
16-11-08, 00:41
^ its always a better idea to make a 2nd or 3rd partition to store ur files (such as music, videos etc). in this way, ur system partition will be less fragmented and system performance will be better (but be sure not to make too many partitions, which can actually degrade Hard disk performance)

if u make seperate partitions, then in the future, if ur friend again needs to format and re-install an OS, u can just format the system partition without need to move entire data to an external hard-disk etc...because ur stored files, music will be on a seperate partition...

:)

aktrekker
16-11-08, 05:54
I always put the OS on one partition and my files on another partition. Someday you WILL have to reinstall Windows. You will be glad you can still get to your data.

EscondeR
16-11-08, 08:21
^ True, tell me you friend HDD capacity and I'll tell you the best partitioning percentage :) Also tell what OS you plan to install: XP or Vista, or maybe Linux/MacOS/etc.

NatlaCrazyness
16-11-08, 08:59
^ True, tell me you friend HDD capacity and I'll tell you the best partitioning percentage :) Also tell what OS you plan to install: XP or Vista, or maybe Linux/MacOS/etc.
Windows XP, his disk capacity is 320 GB.
Damn he has a bigger disk than mine :p

Rod_Flores
16-11-08, 10:09
That goes without saying...

I Always have 3 partitions and an external HD just in case like this

system c: - for windows

data d: - for stuff

backup j: - to make backups with norton ghost

x-backup k: - external hard drive

Over precaution...? Maybe! But a few days ago i accidentally deleted and formated my external hard drive when installing windows XP on my G1, and lost everything...but was able to recover 95% of my data.

EscondeR
16-11-08, 11:34
Windows XP, his disk capacity is 320 GB.
Damn he has a bigger disk than mine :p

I advise you to split like this: 100Gb - System+Programs partition, 220Gb - Personal data/Music/FMV/etc.

NatlaCrazyness
16-11-08, 11:37
I advise you to split like this: 100Gb - System+Programs partition, 220Gb - Personal data/Music/FMV/etc.
Right. I will do that, I'll report back just in a minute... because my friend's computer is here :D