PDA

View Full Version : Slow download speed

Angelx14
16-11-08, 14:23
I don't know if this is worth a new topic, but I really want to know know why this is happening.

When I had bought my computer, got internet, the download speed was real quick and that was only on 512kbps. But later on I got 10mb. At first everything was fine, but now download is waay too slow. When I download torrent, it doesn't go up higher than maybe 2.0 kbps and sometimes on normal download it goes only up to 10kbps. Sometimes it does go up higher, but immediatelly drops down. Is there any way how I could fix this? Or I have to sue my internet provider?

Lavinder
16-11-08, 16:13
It is most likely the set up of your torrent program, what program do you use then I may be able to shed some light on to your problem ?

Is your download speed OK when downloading normally and not using torrents?

Angelx14
16-11-08, 19:57
For Torrent download I use BitTorrent and yeah, it was OK a while back, but now it's just getting worse. :rolleyes: Sometimes the download speed won't go higher than 20kbps.

TRF
16-11-08, 20:33
Welcome to the club...
Torrents are always bad....

Also depends on the SEEDS... When the SEEDS are 4: the download is SO SLOW..
When there are 500, you'll have it in a sec....

And i believe torrents always had secondairy servers, which are in a far distance of the torrent file itself...

spikejones
16-11-08, 21:46
similar thread here:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3222873#post3222873
Welcome to the club...
Torrents are always bad....

Also depends on the SEEDS... When the SEEDS are 4: the download is SO SLOW..
When there are 500, you'll have it in a sec....

And i believe torrents always had secondairy servers, which are in a far distance of the torrent file itself...

what happends here is that the files described in the torrent are shared by all users who have the files which are described. The only file that is on the website you downloade the .torrent file from is the .torrent file. The torrent file directs your torrent client to the torrent tracker (which is described in the torrent file). The tracker then directs your client to connect to other peers (seeds and leeches).

so the torrent system is not as simple as downloading a single file or archive from a single location. you are in effect downloading multiple files from multiple places. I recommend using Vuze (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) and put it into advance mode, then check out the graphical representation of the swarm (you connected to your peers) and you will see what is going on with the exchange of data.

also of note is that if you are uploading to peers too slowly, you will be choked or even banned by their client application (yours will do the same). It takes clever configuration as well as downloading healthy torrents in order to get a good download speed. And torrents that are provided by actual companies will always run faster than a torrent provided by joe shmoe... they have a faster upload rate than joe shmoe does.

Angelx14
16-11-08, 23:41
similar thread here:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3222873#post3222873

I made mine quicker, so I win :p xD

And yeah, I think I got your idea. It sounds very reasonable. I've never downloaded anything illegal, which is Joe Shmoe's stuff, as I'm worried from my computer getting bad things. I only download mmorpg games, and I doubt Joe Shmoe has anything to do with the polite dudes.

EscondeR
17-11-08, 06:36
Check also your firewall/router settings in case specific ports are blocked.