PDA

View Full Version : Alister. *TRU spoilers*

Anarae
20-11-08, 10:13
If you do not want to be spoiled, stop reading immediately and exit this thread. Adequate warning is provided. All spoilers exposed to you here are your own responsibility.

Maybe you laughed, maybe you cried, maybe you showed complete indifference. In recent events, evil Doppelho sent Alister to Avalon. For the less sensitive: she shot him to death. Provided it's allowed, this is Alister's Funeral Thread. Feel free to giggle, mourn, and perform resurrection rituals.

Though everyone is welcome, please keep the hate on the down low (I know it's hard, but I believe in you;)).

Disclaimer: Alister's Funeral Thread is not responsible for any Thralls raised as a result of ressurection ritual malpractice.

Rivendell
20-11-08, 10:15
:vlol: Fair enough, yeah I don't see why this shouldn't be allowed. :tmb:

daventry
20-11-08, 10:17
So we dont see Alister in Avalon as a Thrall or what. :confused:

toby_13
20-11-08, 10:18
:vlol: at the first post!

R.I.P. Alister...:(

P.S: I still hate you for taking Lara's research capacity away.:mad:

Rivendell
20-11-08, 10:20

I heard he appears as a ghost, along with Amelia and Natla. Very 'Return of the Jedi'.

xRvAAYjmqkE

daventry
20-11-08, 10:20
:vlol:

GROZAA Burn Alister on the Fire with a Smile and many Scream with Joy, but the KZAA mourns his Death, yet he shall be there in Spirit for those who Loved him. :tmb:

Legend Killer
20-11-08, 10:49
Hmm, could this be the next chapter in the saga perhaps? Alister's revenge? :mis:

Rileigh
20-11-08, 10:51
AFIND!!!

Alister Fletcher Is Not Dead!!!

GROZAA may think they have won... but really, you just can't defeat the fangirls and fanboys. Whichever ones we are in this thread. Fictional characters are a curious thing. On the surface, they're a bunch of polygons or pixels, or a description in a book, or whatever. But what they really are is a figment of someone's imagination. And that's the most important part. It's impossible to truly get rid of Alister now, because he's already been exposed to the world. As long as he remains in the imaginations of fans, he will still exist, as far as a fictional character can "exist." It's only that... we probably won't see him in game anymore. But even that can't get us fanpeoples down! No, as long as we have devotion and imagination, we won't, no, can't lose hope that Alister may come back somehow, sometime. It also helps that Tomb Raider contains elements of fantasy... :cln:

Survival
20-11-08, 11:19
AFIND!!!

Alister Fletcher Is Not Dead!!!

a last name :eek::D

da tomb raider!
20-11-08, 11:50
Alister does die in the PS3 version, right?

Rivendell
20-11-08, 11:51

Survival
20-11-08, 11:57

Of course but only on X360 you can see his brains splashing all over the portrait of Richard and Amelia Croft... ;) :vlol:

Legends
20-11-08, 12:23
Yes, he does. In fact, he dies in all versions! :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-11-08, 12:28
It was such a pleasant surprise for me. :D One of my favorite parts in the whole game. I hope Zip dies in TR9. ;)

Gizmo
20-11-08, 12:42
Sigh goodbye Alister we will miss you.....
(cough)
HAHAHA sorry I couldn't contain myself:jmp:
I dont think theres much to remember you for Alister (aside from the occasional B***h Fits from Legend).
Oh yeah I also thought his death would be more dramatic but it wasn't, in fact it was quite amusing and random.....sigh....
But we'll miss you Alister:D

Forwen
20-11-08, 12:46
*giggles*

*laralover*
20-11-08, 12:47
Omg great thread :vlol:

Godlikesweeper
20-11-08, 12:50

No,the deah of Alister is xbox360 exclusive.Microsoft gave Eidos a lot of money for that to happen...:D

kimonap
20-11-08, 13:02
No,the deah of Alister is xbox360 exclusive.Microsoft gave Eidos a lot of money for that to happen...:D

WHAT?I PLAYED the pc version and alister does die there 2 XD

Godlikesweeper
20-11-08, 13:06
OMG!!!Its a miracle!:D

thevman
20-11-08, 13:21
I heard he appears as a ghost, along with Amelia and Natla. Very 'Return of the Jedi'.

xRvAAYjmqkE

Always cracks me up, they replace vader with young ani, yet they still leave old obi... :rolleyes:

I was so expecting you to replace them all with ali, von croy and kurtis! :vlol:

Angelic Raider
26-11-08, 02:17
a last name :eek::D

Hah. Dude, Galaxy Quest reference? :p Kudos.

Okay. I took a leave of forums for a very, very long time due to too many discussions turned to arguments.

This has brought me back.

I'd like to start off by saying that I was really sad and shocked to see Alister die. On the bright side I found his death both very touching and fitting. If he died it needed to be in Lara's arms, and the fact that it was the doppelganger made it all the more ironic. Alister has ALWAYS been worried about getting shot by Lara.

All in all, if it weren't for a couple of things I could have not been as irritated by this. I accept the right of the designers to kill off a character that isn't making money for them. This isn't a novel, so things like that can cost them. I respect that. What I don't like is the fact that his death got about as much recognition as that ensign that follows Kirk and Spock down onto the alien planet.

Alister dies, and he's mentioned ONCE afterwards. His last words hint that he might be seen in Avalon, but he's NOT seen in Avalon. Worst of all his death seems to have no impact on Lara, no character development, and it was just so early that it seems to have been an afterthought. Whether or not he was popular, he WAS a central character, and should have gotten the treatment such status deserves. A character's death should be their greatest moment, he should have had more significance. He should have done SOMETHING, or ideally been taken prisoner by Amanda and died in Avalon. That way his "see you in Avalon" comment would not only make SENSE but it could be used as a joke, which fits with his conspiracy-theory character.

Yunaīs Wish
26-11-08, 02:25
R.I.P. Alister :(

I canīt say I got sad, but I liked you, not that much, but I liked you :)

I also have to admit I laughed at the whole scene. The music was spot on, and Lara was acting like a fool, seeing if it really performed all her moves when...BAM...you were almost gone. Besides, Lara being kicked in the ass was great. The only thing I didnīt like about your death were your final words...all the "see you (in Avalon)" is very Rutlandish.

LostRaider
26-11-08, 02:29
I actually liked him...I was hoping we'd bring him back in the last level...guess that didn't work out to well! Maybe TR9 will be Lara's quest for bringing Alister back to life with Excalibur, maybe...

Gator
26-11-08, 02:31
I was sad to see him go- I always liked his interactions with Lara. Am I the only person who thought that the new next-gen Alister we see in Underworld was REALLY cute? Maybe I'm weird, I don't know. I guess I like the nerdy type guys with long hair :ton:

I see where you're coming from, Angelic Raider, since Alister didn't really get much attention after his death, just one mention. Meanwhile Amanda, who sent the doppelhoe to croft manor in the first place, just walks away at the end with no punishment for what she'd done. UGH. No love for Alister, none!

R.I.P ALISTER FLETCHER 2006-2008

Candee Sparks
26-11-08, 02:33
Oh, he died? Didn't notice. :p

Angelic Raider
26-11-08, 02:43
I was sad to see him go- I always liked his interactions with Lara. Am I the only person who thought that the new next-gen Alister we see in Underworld was REALLY cute? Maybe I'm weird, I don't know. I guess I like the nerdy type guys with long hair :ton:

I see where you're coming from, Angelic Raider, since Alister didn't really get much attention after his death, just one mention. Meanwhile Amanda, who sent the doppelhoe to croft manor in the first place, just walks away at the end with no punishment for what she'd done. UGH. No love for Alister, none!

R.I.P ALISTER FLETCHER 2006-2008

GAH! I know! They gave him floppy hair :D He was, to quote a friend, very pettable.

I know, I was sad to see Amanda just walk away, but she HAD just saved Lara's life when she very easily could have left her there. Lara's the type of character who could forgive the idea of one life taken in exchange for one saved.

Although, I really wish they had made some sort of Rutland tie-in. Lara killed Rutland, who died in Amanda's arms. Amanda is indirectly responsible for the death of Alister, who dies in Lara's arms. I feel like a little comment from Amanda about "Now you know how I felt when James died" would have added more purpose to Alister's death.

coolaideonfire
26-11-08, 03:07
His death scene was most ridiculous.

Candee Sparks
26-11-08, 03:09
His death scene was most ridiculous.

Rutland, much? :rolleyes:

knightgames
26-11-08, 07:49

Yes but the "360 Down Load Exclusive" has Lara going back to save him. :D:tea:

Wicked
26-11-08, 08:11
I nearly cried... I loved him, more than Zip actually... our nerdy little freak... :(
I'll really miss him, though I know, many of you won't...

*lies down a lily on his grave*

Survival
26-11-08, 08:12
Although I didnīt like Alister I must say I wanted that scene to be better... I mean he was kinda likeable in TRU and they obviously tried to make it work but it felt short somewhere along the way...

It sounds cheesy and it is but I expected to see his ghost staying next to Ameliaīs in the Nepal room where Lara says her goodbye. It would be hokey and cheesy but the story already is so no harm would be done and both sides of fans would have closure. AA haters like me would see end of the characters and fans of AA would get some kind of closure.

tomblover
26-11-08, 08:13
Rutland, much? :rolleyes: Yeah, I was thinking that, too.

*Does a bookworm ressurection attempt*

*Fails*

:cen:!

Angelic Raider
26-11-08, 14:26
Yes but the "360 Down Load Exclusive" has Lara going back to save him. :D:tea:

Seriously? Isn't that kind of central to the plot though? Still, that would be nice to have that alternative reality to work from.

Bladerj
26-11-08, 15:24
:vlol: at the first post!

R.I.P. Alister...:(

P.S: I still hate you for taking Lara's research capacity away.:mad:

Ahem.....they actually took it back by getting rid of him....doh

Dapling
26-11-08, 15:38
I really cried when he died :( I want him to come back!

I was expecting him to be in avalon but he wasnt :mad:

dais-vs-lara
26-11-08, 15:47

hahaha:vlol:
siriously , it would not suprise me :p

@Dapling: it is very strange that he said, '' see you in Avalon ''
what does he mean with that ? that he does going to be a thrall or something ?
or that all dead people (''people who gonna die and died'') are going to Avalon??

navinloveslara
26-11-08, 16:15

Of course but only on X360 you can see his brains splashing all over the portrait of Richard and Amelia Croft... ;) :vlol:

WHAT?I PLAYED the pc version and alister does die there 2 XD

:vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol::vlol:

OMG!!!Its a miracle!:D

Totally:rolleyes:.

I couldn't be happier that he's dead, although I did feel for Lara.

Tombraiderx08
26-11-08, 16:28
Alister does die in the PS3 version, right? he dies in all versions XD

TRUles
26-11-08, 16:32
i was under the impression that a thrall is someone who has drank the blue water - eitr- at least im sure it said that in laras journal
and that avalon was just like a spirit world
maybe the blue water is spirits??

frodrigues
26-11-08, 17:14
I thought his death would have more impact in Lara's actions, but it all seemed the same most of the time. I liked the scene however, and it was a bit sad seeing him go. I don't think people would mind him on the next games if he only appeared on cutscenes and through the notebook. But it was a nice touch to the plot.

I wonder if Zip will come back after that too. And it was kinda sad how to Alister Lara is the one who shot him. He must of have been confused seeing Lara crying over him as he just saw her shoot him :p

siouxsiecrux
26-11-08, 17:17
I hope he is dead, but i think he will be missed.

I think he should be replaced by...
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/JCA90/Daxter_.jpg

DAXTER!!

Sir Croft
26-11-08, 17:25
I really cried when he died :( I want him to come back!

He was probably one of the Thralls you got rid of... :whi:

TR cheatfinder
26-11-08, 17:39
How do you kill that doppelganger i thought Lara killed it in Anniversary by dropping it into that lava pit?

frodrigues
26-11-08, 17:49
How do you kill that doppelganger i thought Lara killed it in Anniversary by dropping it into that lava pit?

The Underworld doppenganger (or Doppelho, as it is being called here :D) is not the same one as Anniversary, Natla created another one this time. This one doesn't reproduce Lara's movements only and is not skinless, it actually is a very hot version of Lara that is slighly smilar to the AOD model!

Sekhraider
26-11-08, 17:52

Its actually another clone of Lara with skin and a mind of her own now. I dont know if its just me, but the Dopplehoe looks like a thrall. She's all pale and has those visible veins all over her skin. Yeeesh. She does truly look AOD creepy.

TRhalloween
26-11-08, 17:56
Fitted him well then.

]{eith
26-11-08, 18:02
http://i33.************/2s9vs68.png

http://i34.************/4t8u80.gif

Anleva
26-11-08, 18:03
Man I was really sad when he died! But I was so sure we'd get to see/meet him again...In avalon or something before the games end! But like he was no where to be found!:mad:

And just a tiny bitt more...Revenging Alister or something would have been great! But It was so sweet when all the others was so upset when he died :(

underpushunter
26-11-08, 18:59
Man I cried too much when that ***** doppelhoe shot him. I reallly want to play as Amanda, so I can kick her ass myself!!:D

jackles
26-11-08, 19:05
Perhaps Zip will be overcome with sorrow (and his bad leg) and shoot himself on Alistairs tomb where his body will be found, in one hand a smoking gun, in the other a 'sorry tomb raiders forums, forgive me for having been in series' note.

Blackmoor
26-11-08, 19:21
I was sad when he got shot even though I'm not a big fan of his. But then he said, "See you in Avalon..." And, stupidly, I thought that we would get his proper goodbyes when Lara got to Avalon, where somehow in some form, he'd be there. Whether in person or in spirit or just in something someone said to Lara there, we'd have final closure for him.

Rileigh
26-11-08, 20:01
We never saw him in Avalon. That's why I'm sticking with my story; he's in the fricking hospital!! :p

Or gets brought back a Amanda :rolleyes: YUMMY!!!

KurtisLonely
26-11-08, 20:06
nope, no more goodness for the PS3 owners >=)

Rivendell
26-11-08, 20:15
in the other a 'sorry tomb raiders forums, forgive me for having been in series' note.

:D :tmb:

KC Mraz
26-11-08, 20:18
I felt sorry for him. He started to be liked by more people than in Legend. Oh well...

{eith;3259412']http://i33.************/2s9vs68.png

That's mean xD

Rileigh
26-11-08, 20:27
Okay, after having just seen him in clips from the game, I AM SO FRICKING MAD THEY DID THAT!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I still die from giggling. I am such a sap. See you in Avalon Alister, see you soon XD

Candee Sparks
26-11-08, 20:28

I hope he is dead, but i think he will be missed.

I think he should be replaced by...
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/JCA90/Daxter_.jpg

DAXTER!!

Gator
26-11-08, 20:47

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is so terrible because I love Alister but oh man, I laughed and I can't deny it. :o

dinahcat
27-11-08, 04:17
I was surprised to say the least...although I wish it had been Zip instead.

And BTW...where *was* Alister all that time? In the bathroom? He comes staggering out of nowhere and gets himself shot! Didn't he SEE the Dopplehoe? Hmm...must have needed new glasses...

Oh well, not anymore!

Concepcion30
27-11-08, 05:15
TRU unlike Legend was a much darker game in terms of it dealing with the Underworld and yes the death of a main character. I guess we could assume it was leading up to this the way Lara seemed to have cut both Zip and Alister out of her adventures, only contacting them before and after a mission and basically not speaking to them on the headset the way she did during all of Legend.

I have to admit I missed the light banter they would engage in, that's what made Legend so great to me. I'm saddened to think for future games how Zip's humor will hold up without Alister his comedic side-kick to play off of.

I kept hoping that Alister would be alive at the end of the game, that Lara would have found some way to bring him back, but alas, no such luck.

2kool4u
27-11-08, 05:29
I love how he was like.......i'll see you......in avalon......*Lara goes to avalon and Alister is nowhere to be found* XD

EmeraldFields
27-11-08, 06:49
He was likable. However it wasn't then end of the world when he got killed off.

Angelic Raider
28-11-08, 07:44
Does anybody know if the creators have addressed the issue yet? Surely they'll eventually have SOME explanation as to why they killed off such a mainstream character with such little fanfare.:confused:

TR love
28-11-08, 08:25
i choose to mourn. iv known for ages but i cant believe it!

why GROZAA's why?

TombVader
28-11-08, 12:09
Aw, I liked Alister.

But, here's my perfect ending to TRU... after Lara and Amanda get out of, uh, wherever the final level was, Alister appears out of nowhere and shoots Amanda... who then staggers with her hands on her stomach and mutters "I feel bloody awful." Cue Winston and Zip, along with some military guys announcing "We just found another Stargate under your mansion" (little side quip here) and Winston leaning down to Amanda, feeling her pulse and shaking his head... after that, Zip and Allister decide to go into business as partners. Their venture? Time travel safaris. (Another quip, this time nodding to Ray Bradbury's "A Sound of Thunder"... travel back to TRA's dinosaurs but don't step on any butterflies!)
And Winston? He'll be a playable character in the next TR's mansion level, carrying trays with poisoned tea with the task of finding Lara and serving her a cup. This, of course, is revenge for all the times he got shot at by her in Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft. :)

Rileigh
28-11-08, 12:21
No, no, no. As soon as the authorities appear onsite, paramedics rush out and perform immediate CPR. They get out the difibulators, oxygen mask, the full works, and finally get a pulse. Lara, unfortunatly, has already moved on and still thinks he is dead, when actually he is rushed into hospital and straight into intensive care.

Tsukinikawatte
29-11-08, 04:43
No, no, no. As soon as the authorities appear onsite, paramedics rush out and perform immediate CPR. They get out the difibulators, oxygen mask, the full works, and finally get a pulse. Lara, unfortunatly, has already moved on and still thinks he is dead, when actually he is rushed into hospital and straight into intensive care.

I was thinking as she walked away from saying goodby to her mom she'd get a call from Zip... And she'd smile cause she didn't lose anything after all.

KC Mraz
29-11-08, 04:52

I like it. While Lara is in Mexico, Zip and Winston are in a hospital waiting for Alister to recover, maybe even tell Alister is in a mild coma; just to make it more dramatical :P
Then Lara calls Winston and he tells her to meet them in the hospital when she returns to England, where she finds Alister recovering from the shot.

Fan fiction Ftw :)

Tomb of Legends
29-11-08, 04:56
Yes, another concerning loose end. Why would Alister say something like that (Avalon quote).

Hes not a memorable character, so I'll miss him for 2 - 6 working weeks :p
It would have been better if some of the morons here didnt spoil it for me, but it was still shocking and sad.

ChingKong
29-11-08, 05:59
y'know when he was going "I'll see you in....."
i thought he was gona say ill see you in hell :D
cuz he thought lara was dopplehoe

btc8
29-11-08, 06:15
If you do not want to be spoiled, stop reading immediately and exit this thread. Adequate warning is provided. All spoilers exposed to you here are your own responsibility.

Maybe you laughed, maybe you cried, maybe you showed complete indifference. In recent events, evil Doppelho sent Alister to Avalon. For the less sensitive: she shot him to death. Provided it's allowed, this is Alister's Funeral Thread. Feel free to giggle, mourn, and perform resurrection rituals.

Though everyone is welcome, please keep the hate on the down low (I know it's hard, but I believe in you;)).

Disclaimer: Alister's Funeral Thread is not responsible for any Thralls raised as a result of ressurection ritual malpractice.

Frankly, I was just mad they killed off only Alister. Zip was the most annoying one of the two, IMO.

Shark_Blade
29-11-08, 07:27
I love how he was like.......i'll see you......in avalon......*Lara goes to avalon and Alister is nowhere to be found* XD:vlol:

TR love
29-11-08, 07:31

you just made my day. i feel there is a possibility now.....

but i know im wrong

Rileigh
29-11-08, 10:55
I like it. While Lara is in Mexico, Zip and Winston are in a hospital waiting for Alister to recover, maybe even tell Alister is in a mild coma; just to make it more dramatical :P
Then Lara calls Winston and he tells her to meet them in the hospital when she returns to England, where she finds Alister recovering from the shot.

Fan fiction Ftw :)
Two steps ahaead of ya :D:D

you just made my day. i feel there is a possibility now.....

but i know im wrong

Well, it is medically possible. I asked.
I will never look that guy in the face again....embarrasment much!! But for a good cause :D :p

sinarlam
29-11-08, 17:36
I actually liked him...I was hoping we'd bring him back in the last level...guess that didn't work out to well! Maybe TR9 will be Lara's quest for bringing Alister back to life with Excalibur, maybe...

Agree...I like him 2!
while playing the game, I hope this is not true and he will appear finally...
but he doesn't appear in the end...
I guess we won't see him again any more...

tidusffxwakka
29-11-08, 17:40
lol was well pleased with him being shot now if only the same could be done for zip

Mona Sax
29-11-08, 18:30
One down, one to go! :mis:

mobian.fox
29-11-08, 18:32
Well if Amelia was in Avalon (Hellheim, watever its called) and she's half Thrall looking, then maybe lara can get him before he starts to get Thrallish?

Smog
29-11-08, 18:34
Well if Amelia was in Avalon (Hellheim, watever its called) and she's half Thrall looking, then maybe lara can get him before he starts to get Thrallish?

One problem; he's not in Avalon. He's ... dead.

]{eith
29-11-08, 18:36
Alister's funeral

Lara: God, why is everyone so morbid today? Lighten up, grimchops!
Zip: Lara, please. The choir is singing.
Lara: Oh they're rubbish! Come on, sing something good like..."How Can I Miss You, If You Won't Go Away?" or *starts singning* 'Celebrate good times, Come on!'
*Zip cries*
Lara: Winston, what's wrong with him?
Winston: Well he's upset about Alister dying.
Lara: What, still?...Oh for god's sake, I'm bored with you now. You miss him so much, here; you can bloody well join him!
BANG!

Mona Sax
29-11-08, 18:36
She can't - Helheim isn't really an 'underworld', another dimension or anything, it's a real, tangible place. Amelia didn't die, she was simply teleported there.

TR love
30-11-08, 02:05
Two steps ahaead of ya :D:D

Well, it is medically possible. I asked.
I will never look that guy in the face again....embarrasment much!! But for a good cause :D :p

but mabye in the next game, they will take that idea and use it. though i dont really see HOW they can make a new game, unless they bring old dying-for-fun Lara back. And we didnt hear about Alister after that, only once. prehaps at the start of the next one, she walks through the door and OMG there is Alister all bandaged up and smiling.

Hipsy_Gypsy
08-01-09, 00:32
I was surprised to say the least...although I wish it had been Zip instead.

And BTW...where *was* Alister all that time? In the bathroom? He comes staggering out of nowhere and gets himself shot! Didn't he SEE the Dopplehoe? Hmm...must have needed new glasses...

Oh well, not anymore!

He should've gone to Specsavers. :P

I spoilt it for myself during the holidays there by reading the storyline in the extras part of the guide and was like "No!!". D; I read somewhere before that that he was going to be in Underworld BUT in "low profile". Jeezus. I'll take note of that; next time I hear about new characters being in "low profile" I'll know straight away that they're going to die at the end of the third level or something. :P

Yeah I agree with most of you lot. He just... appeared(!) out of nowhere, staggered over, coughing ("Hey, Guys!"), did a 180 degree twirl then... got shot. Hey, Ali! Where the hell have you been the whole time? "Where's Alister?" "Haven't seen him!" *Facepalms* Aw, c'mon... I can't have been down there THAT long D<

Another thing I'm agreeing with and I'm starting to believe that almost everyone thought this, that we'd all see Alister giving Lara his final goodbyes in Avalon, in some form. Hey! Perhaps he's not really dead :o That'd be nifty. :P

He didn't get anymore than one mention, did he? My word... that ****ed me off a tad, too. Oh, and for the record, I cried too :L Lol, hell... I watched a wee tribute video and cried at that before I got that far (Shameful, I know ><') then when I got to Croft Manor I was dreading to finish the level. D: Then I cried again. I finished the game er, last night I think it was? And cried whenever the cinematics started ;-; Then cried AGAIN at the very end when I realised that there was no come back of Alister at ALL. I'm so pathetic lmao :L

Y'know... I read in the Guide that originally there were meant to be two newer characters; Peter Eddington and his ward/niece, Jessica whom of which he was taking care of after her parents had died (I think Alister may have mentioned him at the start of Underworld "Are you sure this Eddington chap knows what he's talking about?" I think he said...) where Jessica finds this artifact that looks a bit like a snake and wraps around you or whatever (look it up to get a better idea of what I'm talking about :P) which then possesses her and Lara had to go save her, but was then later cut out mainly because it would be too complicated for the storyline and that they, and I quote exactly, "...didn't want any misconceptions that Lara and Peter had a relationship...". It went through my head once or twice about the Lara X Alister thing and the fact that he died in her arms and all that jazz... it just makes me wonder "Is that why they killed him off?". Probably~ not, but I just had a hunch, lol. xD

The main thing that bugs me, though, is the fact that Alister was a new character who just appeared in Legend. Awk, I thought he was so lovable. But then he hardly gets seen in Underworld and his death is barely noticed.

Sorry if this has turned out mega long, guys D; Really wanted to post what I thought about it there lol xD

Blessxxx

Ah, forgot to mention there! Don't you think the ending was just a tad... off? Not so much a cliff hanger because Lara has found out all that she's ever wanted to know, but at the same time Amanda just limped off, her mansion is GONE, what about Zip and Winston and finally is she going to do anything with Excalibur seeing as she's taken it with her?

Perhaps in the next TR she'll find an artifact where she discovers what it's capable of after it brings Alister back :D Hur, hur.

And oh, yes! I was playing Legend again earlier and was in King Arthur's tomb, er... museum, whatever, and was pressing all the educational things just to have a wee chuckle at Zip and Alister's comments and whatnot and one of them mentioned about King Arthur going to Avalon and then said something about in the hopes of him returning from Avalon one day :o Oh, the possibilities are endless!

NightWish
08-01-09, 00:33
{eith;3268066']Alister's funeral

Lara: God, why is everyone so morbid today? Lighten up, grimchops!
Zip: Lara, please. The choir is singing.
Lara: Oh they're rubbish! Come on, sing something good like..."How Can I Miss You, If You Won't Go Away?" or *starts singning* 'Celebrate good times, Come on!'
*Zip cries*
Lara: Winston, what's wrong with him?
Winston: Well he's upset about Alister dying.
Lara: What, still?...Oh for god's sake, I'm bored with you now. You miss him so much, here; you can bloody well join him!
BANG!

:tmb:

Tombraiderx08
08-01-09, 01:13
i didnt like him, i didnt hate him, it was when the doppelganger shot him i came up with Doppelhoe, sooo, alisters death isnt all that terrible XD jk jk, but that is were i came up with doppelhoe :D anyhoot..... there really was no need for him XD but he was a good guy :D

M.a.r.k
08-01-09, 02:27
http://i41.************/123vawy.jpg

Rest In Avalon, Alistah

Couldn't resist :vlol:

BlackRainbow
08-01-09, 09:25
R.I.P. Alister Fletcher :(:(:(

tombraiderluka
08-01-09, 09:45
Goodbye Alister, you were annoying as hell and I hope that's where you'll go! :mis:

Dennis's Mom
08-01-09, 13:35
I liked Alistair; I thought it was perfectly reasonable for Lara to have a team of sorts. I did NOT like how he and Zip talked and gave away everything in Legend, but I thought they were useful in moving the story forward.
I thought TRU compromised there, by relegating the discussions to cut scenes.

His getting shot was a bit of drama that was pointless. The game would be no different if he were merely wounded. *shrugs* Of course, I didn't need to see Lara waxing all maudlin over him, so I'm glad it wasn't different.

TR love
08-01-09, 13:43
He should've gone to Specsavers. :P

I spoilt it for myself during the holidays there by reading the storyline in the extras part of the guide and was like "No!!". D; I read somewhere before that that he was going to be in Underworld BUT in "low profile". Jeezus. I'll take note of that; next time I hear about new characters being in "low profile" I'll know straight away that they're going to die at the end of the third level or something. :P

Yeah I agree with most of you lot. He just... appeared(!) out of nowhere, staggered over, coughing ("Hey, Guys!"), did a 180 degree twirl then... got shot. Hey, Ali! Where the hell have you been the whole time? "Where's Alister?" "Haven't seen him!" *Facepalms* Aw, c'mon... I can't have been down there THAT long D<

Another thing I'm agreeing with and I'm starting to believe that almost everyone thought this, that we'd all see Alister giving Lara his final goodbyes in Avalon, in some form. Hey! Perhaps he's not really dead :o That'd be nifty. :P

He didn't get anymore than one mention, did he? My word... that ****ed me off a tad, too. Oh, and for the record, I cried too :L Lol, hell... I watched a wee tribute video and cried at that before I got that far (Shameful, I know ><') then when I got to Croft Manor I was dreading to finish the level. D: Then I cried again. I finished the game er, last night I think it was? And cried whenever the cinematics started ;-; Then cried AGAIN at the very end when I realised that there was no come back of Alister at ALL. I'm so pathetic lmao :L

Y'know... I read in the Guide that originally there were meant to be two newer characters; Peter Eddington and his ward/niece, Jessica whom of which he was taking care of after her parents had died (I think Alister may have mentioned him at the start of Underworld "Are you sure this Eddington chap knows what he's talking about?" I think he said...) where Jessica finds this artifact that looks a bit like a snake and wraps around you or whatever (look it up to get a better idea of what I'm talking about :P) which then possesses her and Lara had to go save her, but was then later cut out mainly because it would be too complicated for the storyline and that they, and I quote exactly, "...didn't want any misconceptions that Lara and Peter had a relationship...". It went through my head once or twice about the Lara X Alister thing and the fact that he died in her arms and all that jazz... it just makes me wonder "Is that why they killed him off?". Probably~ not, but I just had a hunch, lol. xD

The main thing that bugs me, though, is the fact that Alister was a new character who just appeared in Legend. Awk, I thought he was so lovable. But then he hardly gets seen in Underworld and his death is barely noticed.

Sorry if this has turned out mega long, guys D; Really wanted to post what I thought about it there lol xD

Blessxxx

Ah, forgot to mention there! Don't you think the ending was just a tad... off? Not so much a cliff hanger because Lara has found out all that she's ever wanted to know, but at the same time Amanda just limped off, her mansion is GONE, what about Zip and Winston and finally is she going to do anything with Excalibur seeing as she's taken it with her?

Perhaps in the next TR she'll find an artifact where she discovers what it's capable of after it brings Alister back :D Hur, hur.

And oh, yes! I was playing Legend again earlier and was in King Arthur's tomb, er... museum, whatever, and was pressing all the educational things just to have a wee chuckle at Zip and Alister's comments and whatnot and one of them mentioned about King Arthur going to Avalon and then said something about in the hopes of him returning from Avalon one day :o Oh, the possibilities are endless!

I wuv u rite now :hug:

Quasimodo
08-01-09, 16:31
I found this Alister cosplay on Youtube o_O.
bN8k6THrMEA

Rivendell
08-01-09, 16:39
:vlol: That was so wonderfully hilarious! I loved how 'drunk' carried on into 'puzzled' :D

Chocola teapot
08-01-09, 16:44
OH! le gasp! XD

Hipsy_Gypsy
09-01-09, 13:18
I wuv u rite now :hug:

Aww, hehe ^__^ And another thing to point out!! Wasn't the door Alister came from the swimming pool or gym or whatever? XDD
Hur, hur, I could totally imagine Alister going for a quick swim or something with orange arm bands on, goggles and a swimming cap 8D Or perhaps he realised he wouldn't get burnt alive in the water? Then realised that it'd be foolish to stay there regardless because the mansion was falling apart. Or was it the gym nearest the tech room? Meh, either way... what would he have been doing in either?! xD

Don't yous think that Alister looks like the type of guy who'd get all the ladies (well.. :P) just by looking at him then he starts talking "I'm Alistah Fletchah! Don't hu't me! D:" Aww, bless :P He actually has such a sexy voice xD

jjbennett
09-01-09, 13:26
Alister was just a waste of pixels and programming time. He looked like an idiot, sounded like an idiot and to my knowledge there was no reason for him ever being around.

Also, he lives with Lara and makes no hints at all at fancying her - wierdo.

Dennis's Mom
09-01-09, 13:33
Also, he lives with Lara and makes no hints at all at fancying her - wierdo.

I think that was a strong sense of self-preservation. One makes a pass at Ms. Croft at their own risk.

jjbennett
09-01-09, 13:44
^ Touche

tha_mattster
09-01-09, 16:22
That girl is pretty funny in the first scene.

M.a.r.k
10-01-09, 23:41
ROFL @ alister cosplay!

Dark Alister was so funny :vlol:

"Zip has been very... very BAD BOY"

"And I think I need to punish him" lmao :vlol:

TR love
11-01-09, 00:52
Aww, hehe ^__^ And another thing to point out!! Wasn't the door Alister came from the swimming pool or gym or whatever? XDD
Hur, hur, I could totally imagine Alister going for a quick swim or something with orange arm bands on, goggles and a swimming cap 8D Or perhaps he realised he wouldn't get burnt alive in the water? Then realised that it'd be foolish to stay there regardless because the mansion was falling apart. Or was it the gym nearest the tech room? Meh, either way... what would he have been doing in either?! xD

Don't yous think that Alister looks like the type of guy who'd get all the ladies (well.. :P) just by looking at him then he starts talking "I'm Alistah Fletchah! Don't hu't me! D:" Aww, bless :P He actually has such a sexy voice xD

Dont forget the smexy hair :p :cln::cln:

and no. mabye he climbed out to water to save everyone? because hes secretly superman or spidermsn or something. But it just backfired.

Rileigh
11-01-09, 11:55
^^ You two, he's secretly a time lord. That little necklace he wears is a disguised fobwatch.

I found this Alister cosplay on Youtube o_O.
bN8k6THrMEA

Ah, brilliant RD!!
And so adorable!
And so funny XD DARK ALISTER FTW!! :cln:

TR love
11-01-09, 12:06
Oh i remember watching that vid.! ^^^

good times ;)

jeffrey van oort
11-01-09, 12:21
I think it is sad that he died..
He shouldn't have, he was interesting to work with... I think he should have explained his career a bit more and how he got involved with Lara Croft.

Jo269976
11-01-09, 13:56
I was sad when he got shot even though I'm not a big fan of his. But then he said, "See you in Avalon..." And, stupidly, I thought that we would get his proper goodbyes when Lara got to Avalon, where somehow in some form, he'd be there. Whether in person or in spirit or just in something someone said to Lara there, we'd have final closure for him.

He was Thrall #5 :tea:

allie9x
11-01-09, 14:09
Lara could have said something other than "Damn it" .. doesnt seem right.. I mean he was her friend and that..

Jo269976
11-01-09, 14:11
Lara could have said something other than "Damn it" .. doesnt seem right.. I mean he was her friend and that..

God no, I would have switched the game off and threw it away if Lara started babbling like a baby over him like she did mommy.

Hipsy_Gypsy
11-01-09, 19:36
Oh, yes! Can't forget about the smexy hair now! :D What an awesome necklace then! xD Spider-Alister... doesn't work! D; Super Al? Ha, ha!

Awk, I thought it would've been more meaningful if we had have known that he was actually doing a helluva lot more research than usual for Lara about Avalon and all that jazz regardless of the fact that he thought it was all a tad bit "mental", y'know? But no~, he had to die pathetically. D;

I'm gonna draw him working out in the gym or having a swim or whatever for dA at some point. *Inserts Awesome emoticon*

Squibbly
11-01-09, 19:50
I like Alister. It's a shame he died. It was a very good cutscene, though. It was very emotional and dramatic and I loved it. What was with his "I'm going to go cry in a corner and cut myself now because my supposed-to-be-best-friend is hanging out with someone else today and my mom won't let me have any cake before dinner.. LIFE SUCKS" new emo look? :p

At the part where he was about to die, and he said "see you... see you in... Avalon", I thought he thought the Doppleganger was Lara and was going to say "see you in Hell" for a second.

Alister will be missed.

coolezpunk
11-01-09, 20:12
Though I know some people hated him in Legend (I did, too) because he was annoying and just won't bloody shut up, CD sure improved on his character in TRU. He's more useful (in a way), and certainly more quiet. He appeared in only necessary parts of the game, which I liked. Now that he actually WAS a good character, he is killed off.

It's pretty darn ironic, isn't it? When Underworld was still in production, lots of fans had made videos, groups, pictures, etc. of Alister being killed just because they hated him. And well, you can just say you've got what you wanted.

It really makes you wonder whether Crystal were originally supposed to kill off Alister in TRU, or they just did that because they knew the fans despised him.

Overall, I don't mind him dead. That was a really good death scene, too, huh? The Doppelganger shooting him. That was just Whoa for me.

I also wonder if Alister thinks that Lara shot him, or he knows that it's actually the evil clone. He seemed pretty forgiving when he last talked to Lara.

R.I.P
Alister Fletcher

PS: Some people wondered why Zip couldn't have died instead. Actually, I'm glad he didn't, because he was a classic character (from Chronicles), even though CD did change his attitude and personality a lot.

young Lara Croft
11-01-09, 20:49
resurrection rituals.

Xero
11-01-09, 21:48
I know I'm going to sound like a heartless b****rd but honestly I didn't feel much when he died. I was like "Oh hey she killed Alister, didn't see that coming. Ooh Lara looks hot when she's wet and angry.:mis:"
Ok, ok I was a little bummed but he wasn't that big of a character for me.
Man this sounding so weird but RIP Alister old chap you had a good run.:tmb:

resurrection rituals.
Those never turn out well. Remember Full Metal Alchemists?

Tear
11-01-09, 21:55
:(It was sad when he died, but it made the story a lot better because he did. So I'm glad.:D

Hipsy_Gypsy
13-01-09, 00:00
:(It was sad when he died, but it made the story a lot better because he did. So I'm glad.:D

I dunno. D; I mean you heard Zip speak to Lara ONCE more after that third level so it probably wouldn't have made much of a difference whether he'd died or had just been wounded like Dennis's Mom said.

DeadlySilence
13-01-09, 02:26
Well Alister really wasn't much of any use was... all he did was whine in legend "Please don't look down Lara" Gosh i'm surprised Lara didn't slip from all that whining... oh wait she did XD i always miss my jumps XD (Thank you checkpoints) =)

AmericanAssassin
13-01-09, 04:58
Ding Dong! The ***** is dead. Which old *****? The stupid *****!
Ding Dong! That Allister ***** is dead! :jmp: (Only one more to go.)

Hipsy_Gypsy
13-01-09, 23:48
Ding Dong! The ***** is dead. Which old *****? The stupid *****!
Ding Dong! That Allister ***** is dead! :jmp: (Only one more to go.)

I'm still trying to figure out what you're calling him. xD

belter_21
14-01-09, 00:14
I'm still trying to figure out what you're calling him. xD

yeah same here i've tried different permutations...

GeckoKid
14-01-09, 00:26
no one in this thread seems to think the reason alister says "see you in avalon" was because he never believed in lara and her search for it in the first place, and alister was only trying to tell her that he believes in her before he died :(

Quasimodo
14-01-09, 00:45
no one in this thread seems to think the reason alister says "see you in avalon" was because he never believed in lara and her search for it in the first place, and alister was only trying to tell her that he believes in her before he died :(

Aww. That's kinda sweet:o

bloodstormaoa
14-01-09, 00:48

Thats the obvious explanation for his dialogue in that scene :tmb: It was my first thought too.

Hipsy_Gypsy
14-01-09, 20:15

That is actually what I thought. I may have mentioned earlier too that I thought he could've been doing extra research than usual for her on that topic because at the start he didn't really believe in all that hoo-hah, but he still really believed in her, yeah? If you know what I mean, ha, ha.

But no. He dies undignified. Not to mention pathetically... -_-' Lol. :o

allie9x
30-01-09, 21:55
God no, I would have switched the game off and threw it away if Lara started babbling like a baby over him like she did mommy.

I didnt exactly say she would have to squabble like a baby.. what I meant was she could at least look a bit sad

violentblossom
30-01-09, 23:32
That Alister jerk still owes me $30. :mad:

Tonyrobinson
30-01-09, 23:36
Well atleast we got rid of one idiot. WINSTON FTW!

violentblossom
30-01-09, 23:39
Well atleast we got rid of one idiot. WINSTON FTW!

w00t! high five!

allie9x
31-01-09, 21:14
Tbh I just thought Alister was alrigght in Legend.., but I preferred him a lot more than Zip, but I liked them both in Underworld. I t hought Alister was a good friend and who goes damnit when one of your best mate dies ??

cardmonster
31-01-09, 21:22
I was never the biggest fan of Alister, but I was sad to see the whiny fans get their wish with his blatant fanboy-pandering death. Alister wasn't a bad character, but his and Zip's interruptions in Legend were unwarranted. If they'd only toned those down no one would have been too upset, bar the slightly psychotic people who want Lara all to themselves...

That being said, the moment of his death was a neat moment with Alister using his dying breath to show Lara that he did trust her after all (I agree with you, GeckoKid).

ara
31-01-09, 21:49
Im sad that Doppelhoe killed Alister...

....Becouse I wanted to kill him!!!:D

khFREAK
01-02-09, 09:47
I liked Alister... I got sick of it just b eing Lara and Winston. Alister and Zip proved she did ACTUALLY have friends :p

but, glad he died... added drama. Dun Dun DUUUN *inserts dramatic music*

LaraFletcher
27-05-09, 00:33
Alister too! He was my favourite! :) I was seriously sad to see him go. I couldn't get over it for like ever. I'm hoping that they bring him back! :p

Reckless Lara
27-05-09, 01:15
:vlol: some thread:D

Solice
27-05-09, 05:41

A metrosexual thrall?:D

Vinkula
27-05-09, 12:31
I'm heartles...

Ha-Ha Alister! Rest in chaos :D

the ancient
27-05-09, 19:02

I expected Avalon was a paradise but it is just a gaint pool of eitr:hea:

R.I.P Alister i liked you (as a friend)

Mist
27-05-09, 19:18
Shew...

Alister's not dead you silly peoples.

King Arthur and Alister are chilling out in a pool of Eitr. They are perfectly fine. :p

Okay being serious now I was kind of sad to see Alister go annoying as he was.

LaraFletcher
13-06-09, 23:33
miss him though. I'm hoping they go more in depth on his death in the next game.

laralover_07
13-06-09, 23:49
miss him though. I'm hoping they go more in depth on his death in the next game.

In depth? He was.. shot.

Survival
16-06-09, 08:44

In depth? He was.. shot.

Oh yes I would love to see his autopsy too. At least weīll be sure he is really dead for good :p.

Suzan
16-06-09, 08:46
It was such a pleasant surprise for me. :D One of my favorite parts in the whole game. I hope Zip dies in TR9. ;)

Exactly! :D

jjbennett
16-06-09, 10:05
Tomb Raider for me loses its edge when they try and introduce new and terrible characters. By all means make a good story but as shown by the older games, if the gameplay is good enough only a a skeletal plot will hold it together well.

Jedd Fletcher
16-06-09, 11:15
^^I wouldn't say Alister was "terrible" as a character. I'll readily admit that he is quite the stereotype, but I really warmed to the character (as you can tell by my username) as he was endearing in his quirky way.

carbint
18-06-09, 10:02
Tomb Raider for me loses its edge when they try and introduce new and terrible characters. By all means make a good story but as shown by the older games, if the gameplay is good enough only a a skeletal plot will hold it together well.

Yes, that was true then, but now, people want to be satisfied that they've achieved something. A game with no storyline is so dull nowadays, even with great gameplay. TR would never have made a decent comeback if it had little storyline. (I still have absolutely no idea what TRAoD was all about, and look how badly that did...)

^^I wouldn't say Alister was "terrible" as a character. I'll readily admit that he is quite the stereotype, but I really warmed to the character (as you can tell by my username) as he was endearing in his quirky way.

He's a great character! Please, people who hate him so much, explain why? What's actually wrong with him? I genuinely don't, and do want to, know.

jjbennett
18-06-09, 10:15
I certainly didn't care for the storyline in the new games and i played them. Same with Red Faction Guerilla, the story is completely atrocious and i have no idea whats going on but the gameplay is excellent so i don't care.

I would truly love a Tomb Raider with a coherent story but it seems when they try it comes across as really bad. Hell, even i could write the basis for a good strory given a week or so.

Mr K
20-06-09, 08:17
Yes, that was true then, but now, people want to be satisfied that they've achieved something. A game with no storyline is so dull nowadays, even with great gameplay. TR would never have made a decent comeback if it had little storyline. (I still have absolutely no idea what TRAoD was all about, and look how badly that did...)

He's a great character! Please, people who hate him so much, explain why? What's actually wrong with him? I genuinely don't, and do want to, know.

Because he was a highly irrelevant character that decreased Lara's intelligence as a character. Lara Croft has always been her own encyclopedia of archaeology and she has never needed (indeed should never need) to depend on anyone else for research or academia. Introducing a character to 'aid' her research just made her more of an air headed glorified grave robber with a good figure rather than an archaeologist. If you take away the archaeology out of Lara Croft, really, a thief is all she is.

That is my main gripe with Alistair, he just was completely redundant and an insult to Lara Croft's intelligence and knowledge of archaeology.

Personality wise I found him very whiny, snobbish, irksome and just plain annoying. To me he came across more as a pseudoscience closed minded and petty wannabe; If he was presented with a more serious and genuinely academic/ intelligent air I might have liked him a bit more though I still think he would still be redundant.

That's why I didn't like him... My two cents worth

Having said that rest in peace :)

(but please don't come back...)

daventry
20-06-09, 08:19
You Hit the Nail right on the Head with that Mr K :hug: