PDA

View Full Version : PC Switches Off

SparkleCroft07
21-11-08, 11:52
Hi everyone. :)

My PC keeps switching off every time I try to play a game. It can be anything from TR to The Sims 2. It usually stays on for like five-ten minutes into the game, then switches off. It's usually fine if I don't go on any games, and stay on the internet. My mum and me already looked inside my tower, and it didn't seem to be covered in much gunge/dust, but it was burning hot near the top, where things are enclosed together, behind a thin metal wall. I don't know what's causing this, could someone please help me? All I want to do is play games again without it going off.

Thankyou

~Hannah :)

EscondeR
21-11-08, 12:37
Your PSU (power supply unit) fan or CPU fan is fried.

1. Check if CPU fan is rotating and CPU temp is decent (not higher than 55 centigrade).

2. If pos. 1 is OK, then you need to change your PSU for a new, more powerful one.

Angelx14
21-11-08, 12:41
Hah, my old PC died that way after about 5 months xD

And btw, mine switches sometimes off too, but it's not when I play the game. It just sometimes does. Like, if I leave it on to download the game during the night. And it worked for about whole day. Could that be the reason? It switches itseflf out if nobody uses it? COnfusing. Happened about 3 times like that.

EscondeR
21-11-08, 12:45
^ The same - check the cooling first. Then check Control panel > Power management for power saving options set.

SparkleCroft07
21-11-08, 12:45
Thankyou to EscondeR and Angelx14 who replied. :)

EscondeR - I ran this program, called SpeedFan, and one of the temps (think it was the third) on it was over 70 degree centigrade.

Angelx14 - It died?! xD Oops! No, it switches off when I'm using it.

I've had the PC for five years, in January.

I'll look at the Control Panel.

EscondeR
21-11-08, 19:30
EscondeR - I ran this program, called SpeedFan, and one of the temps (think it was the third) on it was over 70 degree centigrade.

1. How exactly is this sensor named? What pops if you place the mouse pointer above it?

2. Check if the fan in PSU is running. Check if the fan on CPU cooler is running (you need to open the case for that).

SparkleCroft07
22-11-08, 11:38
1. How exactly is this sensor named? What pops if you place the mouse pointer above it?

2. Check if the fan in PSU is running. Check if the fan on CPU cooler is running (you need to open the case for that).

It doesn't say. :( But, strangely, it shows five fans, and only one of them is giving any RPM on it. The other temps are -55C and -2C. The one for the HD is 36C. Sorry if I'm wasting time with that. For the first three temps, they all have the same chip code.

**EDIT**

Okay, I checked the fans inside the tower, and it seems to be working fine. But I don't know about the other. Am I supposed to have another fan somewhere? Or maybe I didn't look properly. Sorry, I'm so dim when it comes to this. :o

SparkleCroft07
23-11-08, 12:15
Sorry for double post, but would I need to buy a new tower? I've have this one for five years, and it's never had any upgrade to it, apart from when it had a broken button on it.

EscondeR
23-11-08, 20:13
You'll need to change not the whole case, but the PSU (Power Supply Unit).

SparkleCroft07
24-11-08, 21:36
You'll need to change not the whole case, but the PSU (Power Supply Unit).

Okay, thankyou for your help. :) :hug:

Though I may buy a new tower, mine is so out of date, it hasn't ever had any upgrades or anything. :p Would any PSU do, or do I need a specific one for my PC?

Thankyou again. :)

EscondeR
25-11-08, 06:10
^ Any decent ATX 24+6+4 from 500W and higher. I'd take Zalman or Chieftech :)