PDA

View Full Version : Cable connect help

quarrystile
21-11-08, 17:26
Hi all, lets see if you can help me with this. See the diagram for reference :)

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/11/21/f_pic1m_c52bc58.jpg

.................................................. .................................................. .

MY PC is wirelessly connected to my ROUTER

What I want to do is Direct cable connect my laptop using the LAN connectors,
so that the laptop can access the internet though my PC

1. I guess I will need a crossover cat 5 cable and NOT a straight through type.

2. I guess I will need to use the "network setup wizard" OR "internet connection sharing"

So, A few tips on what to do would be greatly recieved :)

A few more bits of info ......

ALL computers are running XP SP2

The laptop LAN works perfectly and connects to the internet back at the office, and anywhere else I can plug in a LAN cable :)

It has NO wireless connectivity, and never will. ( please do not suggest geting a wifi card/adaptor ;) )

I want to set it up exactly as shown in the diagram :D

EscondeR
21-11-08, 19:08
1. If you have modern LAN adapters at both PC and Laptop you can probably use straight-through patch cord to connect, just try this way (new adapters can recognize and use both types).

2. To use your wi-fi connection on Laptop you must make it shared on PC (Connection Settings > Connection sharing).

spikejones
21-11-08, 19:40
1. If you have modern LAN adapters at both PC and Laptop you can probably use straight-through patch cord to connect, just try this way (new adapters can recognize and use both types).

This is news to me. I was always under the impression that it must be a cross over.

Im curious though as to why you do not just simply connect the laptop to the router though? Would seem a more logical approach to me.

EscondeR
21-11-08, 20:02
This is news to me. I was always under the impression that it must be a cross over.
That was news to me also lately :) I knew that modern switches can be stacked by plain (straight-through) cable, but this...

Im curious though as to why you do not just simply connect the laptop to the router though? Would seem a more logical approach to me.
I wonder also.
The most logical would be if PC was wired and laptop wireless, but... oh well...

quarrystile
21-11-08, 21:27
LOL... I knew you two would start asking bunches of questions !!!

( I tried to simplfy my question so that I would get an "easy" answer :) )

All I wanted to know was how to cable connect a laptop to a PC, and THEN enable the PC to let the laptop connect to the internet :)

...... BUT you want details !!!! :vlol:

Here is my COMPLETE computer/network setup

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/11/21/f_pic2m_2540bb1.jpg

OK... here is the FULL STORY.... ...

My girlfriend works for the UK government.( So there is a LOT of sensitive information on this laptop !!

Wireless connectivity IS NOT ALLOWED on this laptop, although she is ALLOWED to use LAN cable.( Cable connect)
Usually, my girlfriend connects to the internet by connecting DIRECTLY into my router (using cable connect) using the LAN socket

BUT .....This disables my online use of the internet. I have to wait until she has finished her work before I can use MY PC online.

What I am trying to do is allow her to connect to one of the other PC's ( PC 1 or PC 2 ) so that I can continue to use MY PC while she uses one of the other PC's.....

SO... in the diagram above .......I need to enable Internet connection Sharing ( ICS ) on PC1 so that my girlfriend can connect her laptop to this PC ( by cable ( crossover)) and get an Internet connection....

EDIT ...... it's not going to work !!

I managed to get the internet connection sharing running on the PC 1 ....BUT
the laptop does NOT have administrator rights, which means I cannot configure it's settings.
I cannot access Network settings/ internet options. Even the control panel is limited, just three items in there ... keyboard/language and mouse properties !!!!

So, it's a no go. Close this if you want. :tmb:

EscondeR
22-11-08, 14:07
1. How many cable sockets do you have on your router?

2. If more than 1 in pos.1 (most likely), then why not connect both PC and Laptop wired to the router?

quarrystile
22-11-08, 17:59
^ I thought that too, Alex :)

But I only have one socket that works on the router.... SO I went to the shops today and bought myself a hub/switch. Everything works perfectly now.

:tmb:

EscondeR
22-11-08, 21:37
But I only have one socket that works on the router....

o_0

Can you tell us the exact router model and how old is it? Not for solving this issue as you have a switch now, but still... :)
Another ports may be blocked by router security settings.

quarrystile
23-11-08, 08:15
^ Yes, no problem Alex I know you like a challenge :mis: so .......

( FYI I am upgraging my internet service with the same ISP, so will be getting a NEW router delivered shortly.
The router will be a similar type and style as my current one. So this may be helpful for me, in case the same problem occurs.)

All images taken from Google image search.

Tech details.

Inventel Livebox. Wanadoo 3232. Pattern CV4210-WA.
INVENTEL version : v5.10. Installed software version is : v5.10.7-uk
firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d

http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/3/11/23/f_liveboxm_7f11e93.jpg

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/11/23/f_liveboxcotem_1248adf.jpg

On one side are 2 LAN sockets. According to the supplier and installation instructions, the YELLOW one is a "dedicated" ethernet port. BUT I if I connect to this, then I get connection drop outs. I have to power off the router and power back on again to restore connection. But it soon drops out again. ( within minutes! ) So I connect to the RED one, and all works fine.

If I try and connect 2 cables, 1 to the RED and another to the YELLOW, then I do not get a connection from either one.

There you are Alex, a nice little challenge for you, as you asked :)
Remember that I am getting a new router shortly though.

ps. I now connect my switch to the red socket, as the yellow STILL drops out.

EscondeR
23-11-08, 09:42
^ OK, I'll return to that when my connection gets better for searching ;)

Can consider getting another brand router if this is possible also.

spikejones
23-11-08, 20:18
i suggest using a linksys wifi/wired router switch combo as it has enough connections for 4 wired connections and as many wireless connections as you can fit into the IP subnet range.

this is the one that my mother uses at her home:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0034939789B08

they've got newer ones though that support wireless N (which in my mind is totally pointless to have).