PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Autosave not working? & Game crashes!

Kiss-Bite
22-11-08, 03:28
The autosave system on the PS3 TRU is flawed, my advise would be only rely on your manual saves. I've just had to stop halfway through the last level because the game went blank even though it was still running as I could hear the sound, tried reloading using resume game but with no luck. After the level loaded I could only see 5 seconds of the screen & then blank accept the sound. I could still call up the PDA but not the main menu? I thought I had a faulty copy! Sadly my last manual save was a few levels back but I tried loading that & thankfully it was fine. I had played it without a break since I got my copy earlier & was enjoying the game despite its noticable flaws then this happens on the last level. Has anybody else had a simialr problem, I was furious! lol:D

aussie500
22-11-08, 04:20
Just out of curiosity were you playing in Treasure Hunter mode?

Spoiler-
And had you actually gone through the Helheim gate and past where Lara saw Amelia.

If so you are not meant to be there, there should have been rocks at the entrance to Helheim preventing the player from entering. The glitch is with the entrance sometimes not having the rocks.

Kiss-Bite
22-11-08, 04:36
No to your first question, it happened in my first play through.:(

Yes, to your second question.;)

spoiler-
I got to the point were Natla is attacking airborne with fire projectiles whilst you destroy the structure with Thor's Hammer which create rotating platforms to navigate. My game crashed & the bug was also saved infortunatly just after I slid down a slope from the centre to reach the last point that needed destroying using the Hammer. :(

aussie500
22-11-08, 04:49
It might still be related to the other glitch, perhaps the game did not correctly detect if it was Story Mode or Treasure Hunter mode, when it reloaded you got the wrong one. It is always a good idea to manually save anyway, just in case. :tmb:

Kiss-Bite
22-11-08, 04:58
That doesn't sound good. Yes, you have to make manual save if you own the PS3 version. Of course if the PS3 version had a descent normal save system like TRL & TRA like the 360 has, then I could have just restarted that level, or even chapter. Sadly I payed 49 for no such luxury.:( Thanks anyway.;)

aussie500
22-11-08, 05:33
No Tomb Raider games have the ability to start chapters, TRA was done that way because that is how TR1 was set out, they were classed as seperate levels even though the graphics did not need the loading time. All Tomb Raider games start from one point, the beginning of the level if it has the ability to replay a level, otherwise you use save games to load where you want to be. The save system for Underworld is better than the previous ones as it saves your health state and pickups as well as loading the game as it was before Lara died, bodies, rubble and all. You have to make a manual save on any Tomb Raider game just in case there is a glitch, that has not changed.

Kiss-Bite
22-11-08, 05:49
No Tomb Raider games have the ability to start chapters, TRA was done that way because that is how TR1 was set out, they were classed as seperate levels even though the graphics did not need the loading time. All Tomb Raider games start from one point, the beginning of the level if it has the ability to replay a level, otherwise you use save games to load where you want to be. The save system for Underworld is better than the previous ones as it saves your health state and pickups as well as loading the game as it was before Lara died, bodies, rubble and all. you have to make a manual save on any Tomb Raider game just in case there is a glitch, that has not changed.

Thanks very much for making this thread! A lot of people were getting a bit hysterical when they haven't played the game, so this thread is appreciated :)

Just to confirm Mr. Lindstrom has been reading people's posts and this is from him:

"The game autosaves at the start of every new chapter, and these autosaves cannot be overwritten by the player, so when you finish the game, you have autosaves spaced throughout the whole game. If you want to replay Mexico, go load the autosave at the start of Mexico, and all the enemies and objects and puzzles and cinematics will all be there as if you'd never arrived, because for that save game, you haven't yet. But better than replaying any level, you can load autosaves for any chapter, so if you want to replay the final Natla battle, you don't have to replay the whole of the last level, but instead you can just reload the last chapter which puts you pretty much on the doorstep of the last room.

The fact that you can't repay cinematics is sadly true, however, because of the nature of how the cuts scenes are all in-game -- they aren't canned. When you trigger the opening of Xibalba, you're really doing it, and the camera just captures this. There was no way to have a cut scene list where you could just choose "Opening Xibalba" and see it play, because there was literally nothing to load.

Believe me, I tried -- I had "Replay Cut Scenes" in the UI until the last minute trying to work out a way, but they really aren't cut scenes any more and there was no way to do this. But people can get to them quicker in game than they all think currently by using the autosaves and reloading the chapter and playing up to it."

So there's a frank and open response from Eric. I hope that helps and clears up some of the confusion.

It's not really on topic for this thread. You & I both know the save system is limited on PS3/PC in comparison.

aussie500
22-11-08, 08:44
Well l have not yet heard of any Xbox 360 players actually finding it unless you have to collect everything in the game first to unlock it.

Kiss-Bite
24-11-08, 16:18
UPDATE ON BUG I CAME ACROSS:

I've played through TRU again & I have to say that this time around I did not encounter any bugs at all!:confused::D I enjoyed TRU so much more because of this which just goes to show that it is completely random.

GLITCH:
What I do know now is after playing TRU again is that the bug that forced me to restart because the screen would suddenly go blank even though the game was still running was in fact the end in-game cutscene failing to activate. So I had actually finished the game but I didn't know it was the end at first being my first play through.:) It's unfortunate that I came across this glitch & that it got autosaved forcing me to restart.

SOLUTION:
The solution is simple, just make frequent manual saves, which I did with my 2nd play through so if this happens just reload you last save.;)

When this happens on the first time you play a game, well it leaves a not so good first impression. My 2nd playthrough was so, so much better for not encountering lots of bugs!:D