PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Trouble

Tombcool
23-11-08, 00:06
I got a new cell phone, a Sony Ericsson Z750i, and I am having trouble with getting ring tune to work.

I read both the manual and went onto their site but there is no answer for my problem.

Ok, so I transferred a song via "Mass Storage" mode and the Media Manager program (that came with my phone) to my cell phone. And it plays fine when I play it in the "Music Player" application of the phone, but when I go to the file manager and want to select it as a ring tune it says "Cannot set as a ring tune".

This happens with any song I put on the cell phone, and not with any of the default ring tunes.

And none of the songs are protected either.

:confused:

Feather Duster
23-11-08, 02:02
Just taking a crack at this, but maybe it's the format? *shrugs*

EscondeR
23-11-08, 10:28
What format is this song in?

Some cellphones are limited in using ringtones to MP3/AAC format, e.g. Samsung phones.

demonslayer
23-11-08, 11:46
also by default some SE phones simply will not allow you to set an mp3 as a ring tune because of copyright claims or something :confused:

Tombcool
23-11-08, 15:55
It's in MP3 format, and Media Manager program that comes with the phone automatically encodes each song you transfer to the phone just in-case it's in the wrong format.

Also, there is a "Media Transfer" the phone can go into, but when I select that and then hook the phone up to my PC, it says "Problem installing hardware..."

I think I have to call technical support now, I hate the phone charges on "1-800" numbers... :hea::p

spikejones
23-11-08, 21:27
the answer to this lies in the fact that you can not use a MEDIA PLAYER SONG as a RING TONE. at least that is the way that it works with the motorola phones. Two reasons for this:

1. media player songs and ringtones reside in a different folder on the phones filesystem
2. there is a database file that indexes the songs that can be used as a ringtone, based upon where it resides in the filesystem and what the format is.

check out Hofo (google knows what it is).

EscondeR
23-11-08, 21:27
About ringtone:
Check:

file name length - better be less than 32 symbols and no spaces.
bitrate - recode with 128Kbps or less.
file size - big files can cause issues, ringtones must be less than 1Mb in size generally.
try WAV format also.

Also, there is a "Media Transfer" the phone can go into, but when I select that and then hook the phone up to my PC, it says "Problem installing hardware..."

1. Have you tried installing driver from supplementary CD?
2. Do you have internal modem?

badboy70
24-11-08, 11:52
also by default some SE phones simply will not allow you to set an mp3 as a ring tune because of copyright claims or something :confused:Actually, I can ;)
I have a SE P1i :)

Can you play it in the Audio Player?