PDA

View Full Version : Who actually enjoyed Underworld [POSITIVE THREAD]

2broth3rs
23-11-08, 03:07
I wanted to know who actually enjoyed the game and why?
For the last few days i have only heard negative feedback. The camera is annoying and a bit buggy. Can't we just be happy that it is a new TOMB RAIDER game!!!
come on people.

Well i love it - Great locales, Alot of puzzles [easy and hard], Exploration etc..

What did you think???
:D:D:D

Quasimodo
23-11-08, 03:09
I enjoyed it, but cut features, a buggy camera, and no replay feature is unacceptable for a major franchise.

_Lam
23-11-08, 03:14
I enjoyed it, but cut features, a buggy camera, and no replay feature is unacceptable for a major franchise.

What feature... no camera, no more outfit... OMG unacceptable.
I agree with the camera and the replay value well, it's sad but do like me, save at each level... And most of the game out today you can't even replay level, it's not that dramatic.

Moon-Safari
23-11-08, 03:21
I loved it. While I'm starting to feel sorry for this game, I'm happy that people aren't complaining about gameplay. Lack of outfits and Level replay are easy things to fix in TR9. At least CD got the important parts down. I haven't consistently had this much fun throughout all the levels in one tomb raider game since... ever. Every level was fun for me. Even through the hard parts that got me stuck, I still never wanted to put down the controller. CD achieved a masterpiece in level design. In that sense it was everything I could've asked for.

Flyin11
23-11-08, 03:32
I agree with the camera and the replay value well, it's sad but do like me, save at each level... And most of the game out today you can't even replay level, it's not that dramatic.

I agree...The camera right now is my biggest gripe...but the saving dealio is not a issue for me. I haven't been doing the manual save thing myself as I'm not worried about it. If I want to go through it again afterwards, I'll play a new game. You're right...A lot of the games out today you can't replay your old levels...Example is Metal Gear Solid 4...I had to manually save the levels I wanted to go back and play. Doesn't bother me though...

I really like the game...It's super challenging to me and the graphics are superb :D Right now I'm still stuck in the Bhogavati level. A lot of jumping and climbing in that place :cool: I'm not the fastest at the Tomb Raider games...Legend was very challenging for me and fun as well. It's a good thing though cause the amount of time it'll take me to play it between work and all, it'll be worth the $60.00 I paid for it ;)

Brikas94
23-11-08, 03:32
I loved it. While I'm starting to feel sorry for this game, I'm happy that people aren't complaining about gameplay. Lack of outfits and Level replay are easy things to fix in TR9. At least CD got the important parts down.

Finally, someone who agrees with me!:D

hera7days
23-11-08, 03:36
I enjoyed Underworld far more than I thought I would. And I thought I'd like it. It's my favorite game so far, surpassing my old favorite of AOD. It's the perfect difficulty: the tasks were hard to figure out, but not too hard to complete. In other words, I had to use a walkthrough, but never download savegames- although, I don't know, is that possible on a ps3?

The gameplay was a perfect mix of exploration, platforming, puzzles, and combat. The atmosphere was so intense I really felt like I was there. In some of the Thailand parts I seriously needed sunglasses! And some of the locations are just overwhelming- breathtaking, even. Not just in how they look, but I'd look around and think, "Man, I've got my work cut out for me."

I don't mind stuff like the lack of camera, lame unlockable content, fewer outfits, inability to replay levels or cutscenes, because those things weren't in the classics*, and that didn't stop them from being great. Sure, all those things would've been nice, and it sucks that we didn't get things we were promised, but not having those things doesn't get in the way of the gameplay being fun. That's all I care about.

*On the PC version, at least. I can't speak for other versions.

Flyin11
23-11-08, 03:43
In other words, I had to use a walkthrough, but never savegames- although, I don't know, is that possible on a ps3?

Sure you can...It's easy...Just hit start and move the cursor the save game option and save it in a new slot. I think it just saves you back at your previous checkpoint though rather than right at that certain point but atleast it would be saved :D

TRBeth
23-11-08, 03:47
The gameplay is great, even epic compared to the previous two games. A lot of winks to classic Tomb Raider games which I greatly appreciate. The game is long, in my view. If you actually tomb raid like you're supposed to, and look at everything, every nook and cranny, regardless of any "rewards" then the game is long. Donít run everywhere. Walk, sneak, etc. I will admit that I'm not a hardcore gamer so I 'm probably slower than a lot of you, but dang-it, I'm not in a hurry!

I felt the immersion, the fear, the awe, and the "alone in the tomb all by myself". I haven't felt that in a long, long time, and for that I am very happy. Granted, I am not done yet, but I am hoping that the game doesn't suddenly take a turn in the wrong direction (as did TRA) at the end. The game is not over-burdened with boring corridors, rather a lot of the corridors are rather creepy, and sometimes even contain monsters to dispose of. Yes, no more empty hallways! Hallways, when used, as they are inevitable in Tomb Raider games, lead to massive and explorable environments with great puzzles. I have not been disappointed at all with any level, so far, but I was hoping for more involved levels with Amandaís ship level and then the Mansion level. Oh well, canít have everything.

I have got to give this game its due. For a Tomb Raider fan, the gameplay itself is such a joy. I hate for this game to end, though Iíve been pretty much playing it since Wednesday night with not too much interruption (sleep, meals, the daily shower). I havenít even been to work! LOL

There are issues with the game, of which I have been pretty vocal in this forum. Technical issues do exists which should have been ironed out before this game was released. It is sad that the game will not get its due in the media because of this. Ultimately, I would guess that the lukewarm reviews will impact sales. Considering the tenuous financial position Eidos is in, we are left to wonder what impact this will have for Eidos and for Tomb Raider. I guess we will find out in the New Year.

Underworld delivered in many ways, if not for the flaws of the camera and some of the other technical issues, this game would have been thoroughly epic. Donít hold me to that statement though, until I finish this game. ;)

hera7days
Sure you can...It's easy...Just hit start and move the cursor the save game option and save it in a new slot. I think it just saves you back at your previous checkpoint though rather than right at that certain point but atleast it would be saved :D
Oh, I know. I was referring to savegames that one can download to get past parts that are too difficult. I wasn't sure what else to call them.

LaraLuvrrr

Absolutely. The way I see it CD was down in profit or whatever that is that happened early this year that made them push it to a late release and then they were rushing to get the game done so they left some "minor" problems intact in the game. They probably thought welll the gamers just want a game with good graphics and a great storyline they forgot that the finished product must be impeccable for the overrall gameplaying experience.

Flyin11
23-11-08, 03:49
Oh, I know. I was referring to savegames that one can download to get past parts that are too difficult. I wasn't sure what else to call them.

Ahhh..Cool...My bad ;)

]{eith
23-11-08, 03:51
While it is great to be positive, like I've said on this forum countless times before, it is only by critique will change ever occur.

If a chef serves crap food in a restaurant and nobody tells him, he'll keep on serving it.

So praise the good, and we can keep it, and criticise the bad so it can be fixed, and we'll end up with an even better game next time. I'm waiting to play the game before I can review it.

Rachel Croft
23-11-08, 03:55
I loved it! I'm sick of people complaining about TR:U--You know, at least we got a game, its a hell of alot better than not getting anything. I mean, lets see some of them make a game.

ColdCaseDetK
23-11-08, 03:57
Still have been unable to play it, waiting for it to come in the mail. But I'm sure it'll be a HIT. :D

Dixie
23-11-08, 04:10
It was wonderful! The first game in the CD series that actually felt like a Tomb Raider game! Just fix the camera and the replay fiasco.

Immortalis08
23-11-08, 04:19
The soundtrack and general ambiance added to the already oozing atmosphere of the game, especially in the Med caves. Each level was so large that I was literally left bewildered. In my opinion, Underworld was the game that finally brought back the good ol' Tomb Raider feeling of isolation, awe, puzzles, and exploration.

And the soundtrack....wow...just wow...! :eek:

Mr.Burns
23-11-08, 04:23
So far I'm enjoying it. Right now the only thing that is a bit annoying is the camera but other than that, it definitely feels more like a Tomb Raider game this time around.

Kento
23-11-08, 04:33
I have just finished Thailand . I got stuck 3 times so far . When I say stuck I mean more than 30 minutes without progressing in the gameplay ,but doing a lot of things that lead you to nowhere .... the most of times to dead :p

Technical issues apart , I am enjoying a lot the game .

The ambience sound, the life in the jungle ...the parrots animations are fantastic!! I love to zoom the parrots with Lara's camera just to see how they move like authentic birds when they are perched wherever!! :D Amazing .:)

The graphics are fantastic and the detail of the environment is great!! I spend a lot of time looking through lara's cam to see the distant landscapes :p I would swear that I heard a plane while I was trying to find my way on Thailand :vlol: The underwater looks gorgeous too .

The levels are huge , the puzzles and plataforming are enjoyable ... I am having a lot of fun with TRU .

I regret my english isn't good enough to express properly my feelings about the game :o .

silver_wolf
23-11-08, 04:36
so far I love it! Just got into Xibalba! And I love the music!

*laralover*
23-11-08, 04:41
Im just at Xibalba so far its excellent :D

Dixie
23-11-08, 04:45
I know this was described a long time ago but...

I just "replayed" (*hmph!*) S. Mexico with the Jungle shorts outfit. I wuuuved how Lara would roll around and get muddy, and the mud would gradually wash off her skin in the rain. :hug:

Solice
23-11-08, 05:36
I had a few tech problems at first. But nice people helped. Now I am having a lot of fun with Lara's new adventure. Her moves are more realistic, but the gameplay seems to be the same. Which I like. The gameplay really degraded with AOD. I could not even finish the game. I am very happy Crystal took over.

ChingKong
23-11-08, 05:39
underworld was awesome! loved everything just thought it was short..

Giolon
23-11-08, 05:49
I enjoyed it on the whole, not as much as Legend, but more than Anniversary. I think it makes the three games into a trilogy of sorts, and I think it ended fine. Some of the environmental puzzles were outstanding, (my jaw dropped multiple times in Jan Mayen Island), the locations were gorgeous, and the story begun in Legend was wrapped up. There's not a lot more I could hope for in a Tomb Raider game other than fewer bugs and the same level of extras that has been featured in previous CD Tomb Raider games.

Corners clearly were cut, but that doesn't stop the game from being enjoyable.

Dixie
23-11-08, 05:51
I enjoyed it on the whole, not as much as Legend, but more than Anniversary. I think it makes the three games into a trilogy of sorts, and I think it ended fine. Some of the environmental puzzles were outstanding, (my jaw dropped multiple times in Jan Mayen Island), the locations were gorgeous, and the story begun in Legend was wrapped up. There's not a lot more I could hope for in a Tomb Raider game other than fewer bugs and the same level of extras that has been featured in previous CD Tomb Raider games.

Corners clearly were cut, but that doesn't stop the game from being enjoyable.

How the hell can you think Legend was better?!?!?:confused:

moratorium79
23-11-08, 06:11
I just entered Mexico, and so far I'm loving it. Camera schmamera. It's annoying, but you get used to it, really.

Likay
23-11-08, 06:51
In Valhalla and still enjoying it thoroughly. Best tr of all crystals if you ask me. :D

MattTR
23-11-08, 07:30
I enjoyed it, very much! :D But there were way too many bugs. Especially on the 360 version. Awesome game though. :D

Lenochka
23-11-08, 07:41
I did :jmp:
Its my fav TR so far :tmb:

Giolon
23-11-08, 07:44
How the hell can you think Legend was better?!?!?:confused:

Quite easily. It's just so fun and easy to sit back and play through. It's almost like playing an Indiana Jones movie. It feels like every aspect of the game was considered with the criteria "is the player having run right now?" Is the player sitting around stumped and frustrated? Is there any thing aurally engaging going on? What can be done to make replaying the game again? The slower, more methodical pace of Anniversary and Underworld (Anniversary especially) make them feel like a bit more of a chore to play - good experiences the first time, but not something I want to re-play over and over like Legend.

To reiterate: I enjoyed Underworld. I liked it a lot - just not quite as much as Legend.

Finally, to answer the question I know is coming: yes, I did play the original Tomb Raider 1-5, and yes I did enjoy them (albeit 1,2, and 4 more so than 3 and 5) at the time.

Priscilla
23-11-08, 08:34
YES I did, this game is great!

Godlikesweeper
23-11-08, 10:29
They finnaly make a real tomb raider game.Game for the old-school fans insted of that legeng_action_movie nonsence.And what do they get?
"We don't care you didn't have enought time to make Human AI better,the game sucks,even if you really spent so much time designing levels!"

That doesn't really bother me.But,what does bother me is that now when they see all the bad thing people wrote who knows,maybe they will say"Fine,next time you will be geting Tomb Raider:crysis.A lots of killing,action,andgelina jolie movies,and no adventureous spirit!Maybe then you will write something good about it!"

People just have to realise that they are going in the right direction.They just didn't have the time to please ALL of the fans.Just give them fu**ing suport,next time it will be even better!:tmb:

KurtisLonely
23-11-08, 10:31
I do, they finaly are making a REAL Tomb Raider Game..
at first I didn't get the feeling.. the TR vibe.. but now.. I finaly do
the game has a great atmosphere.. too bad, a bit too many bugs. but I can see through them =]

Piega
23-11-08, 10:31
I want to write a review but when I have time. A good one with a general thought. Personally this episode was AWESOME!!!

x2crazyidiot
23-11-08, 10:47
there were way too many bugs. Especially on the 360 version

really? :confused: I've not encountered one bug so far and I've completed it three times (on 360)

Tomb Raider Underworld, for me, is the best TR to date :) It has a mix of hard and easy puzzles, a great storyline, fantastic level design, beatiful graphics, and puzzles that make you go :yik: (I'm looking at you, Arctic Sea)

Braider
23-11-08, 11:33
I think the game is great!!!

I've only played it for a short while (med level) but it reminds me of earlier TR games. Dark and forboding!! I love it!!!

tomblover
23-11-08, 11:40
Barrapapapa, I'm lovin' it! :D

Except for the fact that there's no replay level function.

sikasika18
23-11-08, 11:47
this game is really buggy sometimes, but hope it gets better for tr 9.
but the gameplay is really good though.
I really love that lara grabs with both her hand while jumping from ledge to ledge.
and the sprinting, ah.
kinda miss the camera feature.

but in all this game is great.
but I hope they take the time to make the next one.
I really love to play on the ps3 but....tomb raider underworld does not play well on that console so I prefer the pc nowadays.

but the biggest plus in this game is her movement.
the story was kinda blah.

but since its lara, I love it^^:hug::o

Titak
23-11-08, 11:53
I've only reached the ship in the Mediteranean Sea but so far I am really enjoying the game. :jmp:

I'm going slowly, sightseeing the scenery (which looks fabulous) and taking my time with puzzles.
I was also pleasantly surprised to see Lara pick up some boxlike objects and carrying them to a pressureplate where she puts them down gently or you can make het throw them through an open door. I like this sort of thing, because it makes sense to pick up stuff and use it. So a big plus for the gameplay! :D

I saw a couple of missing textures which I think is sloppy and the camera goes a bit crazy from time to time, but other than that, I'm happy with the game!

So, so far so good! :tmb:

Zebra
23-11-08, 11:57
I did enjoy it. It does have things I don't like and it is definately not what I had expected (before I saw all the spoilers closer to the release). But it is fun. The gameplay is good but I'd like something closer to the classics for the gameplay. And I have to agree with Quasimodo on the missing level replay option. I was also disappointed that you can not rewatch cutscenes. But as I said: It was fun.

In ALL the games I have you can replay single levels (except for Underworld :rolleyes:).

dizzydoil
23-11-08, 12:07
In ALL the games I have you can replay single levels (except for Underworld :rolleyes:).
That's good for you.

Dia2blo
23-11-08, 12:32
I did enjoy it. It does have things I don't like and it is definately not what I had expected (before I saw all the spoilers closer to the release). But it is fun. The gameplay is good but I'd like something closer to the classics for the gameplay. And I have to agree with Quasimodo on the missing level replay option. I was also disappointed that you can not rewatch cutscenes. But as I said: It was fun.

I always feel that not being able to splice out individual sections makes it feel more like an adventure. I love replaying tr4,5 and 6 because everytime i do, to get to the bits i want to see i have to work for it, and then get carried away and go right to the end.
A real adventure doesn't have replayable levels, as it ruins the drama and feeling of replaying the whole game.

Oh and Mass Effect, Oblivion, lost odyssey, dead space, fable 2, fallout 3, dead rising, and infinite undiscovery are all in my collection but don't have replayable levels...hmmm

Oh!! Most importantly, i loved underworld- the atmosphere, puzzles, action... in fact, i loved everything about it!

Xian Priestess
23-11-08, 12:44
I'm really enjoying it. I only play for about an hour at a time at one sitting, and last night it took me a long,long time to work out the Shiva puzzle. As I've always loved the acrobatics and puzzles, I'm a happy gal. I'm not using a walkthrough, as I want it to last forever.

And is it just me or is that right-angled jump off the wall run easier this time? Or perhaps it's because I got so much practice in TRA! I haven't swore once yet :)

TheLostValley
23-11-08, 13:04
I just started to play it today on my new xbox 360 :D Haven't got that far yet but the giant squid tentacle scared the sheits outta me lol. (right after you go through the ornate disks). It brought back memories from tr1 when you encountered the first wolf :D. Well gotta play some more now.

Tomb Raider Underworld is a fantastic game BUY IT NOW! :D

Altistar
23-11-08, 13:12
I love it, I'm actually still playing it atm, and I think the graphics are a major plus, storyline and gameplay. The A.I. could be a little smarter, but I'm not complaining.I love taking me time through the levels, and looking at everything, there's so much to see! :tmb:

Lara's home
23-11-08, 13:14
One of the best games I've played in years. Loved everything about it.. Except the camera. :p

loser66
23-11-08, 13:29
The puzzles were actually hard sometimes! An improvement!

The combat was a little iffy, but the climbing was pretty fun. It was hard to find a place to chimney between two walls.

Legend 4ever
23-11-08, 14:32
I loved it! Not more than Legend, but I can say it is my #2 favorite TR game. Though I think the game was very short, I got it yesterday and I finished it today, played if for 10 hours or so, I loved the story, I loved the characters, the enemies, Lara...

NightWish
23-11-08, 14:44
I enjoyed it - but not completely

JoeyEdinburgh
23-11-08, 15:02
The game itself was Fantastic, I really loved the gameplay and all the features included. A bit dissapointing that some things were cut out and was a bit unhappy at the lack of rewards, outfits etc. I liked getting to choose what you wore before starting a level. Legend and Anniversary were so good I dont understand why things were removed ie cheats, costumes, and the easy navigation of replaying levels. They should have just added to what was already successful. Unfortunately as far as being rewarded for finding the relics, well thats just not happened this time around. As I said I love the game and will play it over and over as it was fun to play but the relics etc provide no replay value for me this time round.

Sehkmet
23-11-08, 16:26
I loved it. While I'm starting to feel sorry for this game, I'm happy that people aren't complaining about gameplay. Lack of outfits and Level replay are easy things to fix in TR9. At least CD got the important parts down.

This about sums it up. The gameplay is what's most important here, all the flashy extras are just that - extras.

I haven't had major issues with the camera. I think once or twice I was cramped in a corner and had to guess which way to jump. I'm about halfway through the game so maybe this becomes an issue later on, I don't know.

lovechin
23-11-08, 16:33
It feels way more tomb raider-ish than Legend or Anniversary. That's for sure.
I really enjoyed Underworld tho there isn't much replay value and not so many extras as I wished, but all in all CD is doing a good job and I am already looking forward to TR9! :)

storywise it's perfect! :tmb: