PDA

View Full Version : Who's NOT going to buy TRU?

Ilves
30-11-08, 21:06
Let's do a little inventarization of who of you is determined not to purchase - and hence own in any shape or form, wiseguys - the latest installment of Tomb Raider. List your platform of choice, and the main reason(s) why you intend to sit this one out. Optional is any reason that did NOT influence your opinion, such as the DLC issue, bad reviews etc. Let's keep it to a max of 3 reasons, for the sake of clarity.
And let's throw in your age as well. Marketing guys just love the age thing.

Platform: PS3

Reason for not purchasing:

1) Quality of the product (bugs, story, replay value) Opinion based on both professional reviews as well as fan feedback.

2) No demo for PS3

3) Crude marketing tactics by Eidos

Not a factor:

1) DLC

2) Game Length.

3) -

Just copy/paste & join in! :wve:

Agent 47
30-11-08, 21:14
unlike most "mouth all mighties" who didn't have the bottle to carry out their boycott threats, i have indeed kept my word.

don't make idle threats if you haven't got the guts to carry it through, it makes you look a hypocrite :D

i refuse to buy it on principle and due to ingame issues, plus i have honor and integrity in that i stand by my actions :D

Ilves
30-11-08, 21:18
don't make idle threats if you haven't got the guts to carry it through, it makes you look a hypocrite :D

Don't spam my thread, copy paste & fill in! :ton:

Thorpe
30-11-08, 21:23
There's a demo on PC and Xbox 360. You can try those.

belter_21
30-11-08, 21:23
i refuse to buy it on principle and due to ingame issues, plus i have honor and integrity in that i stand by my actions :D

and I concur, and the saddest thing for me is that this is the first TR game I've not bought on release. It appears to be too short, too simple and lacks polish. There are only so many times ledge jumping is fun. TR needs an injection of puzzle diversity and general game play innovation. Oh and make it bigger.

Shauni0
30-11-08, 21:25
I dont get why anyone that diddnt buy the game is even a member of this forum?

Nausinous
30-11-08, 21:26
I bought mine and took it back, it was just downright dissapointing.

Agent 47
30-11-08, 21:27
Don't spam my thread, copy paste & fill in! :ton:

can't copy and paste on PS3 :vlol:

bugs
treatment of PS3 userbase
lack of demo

dlc had no issue in my decision :D

belter_21
30-11-08, 21:28
I dont get why anyone that diddnt buy the game is even a member of this forum?
being a TR fan (which starts at TR1 not Legend) does not mean you MUST slavishly love every TR game.

Ilves
30-11-08, 21:32
^ Thanks, Agent47.

I guess I should explicitly state that this is not an Eidos bashing thread. Nor is it an exercise in holier than thou. I'm sincerely curious!

To all posters: Please use the template from the first post only. That's what I'm interested in.

:wve:

Agent 47
30-11-08, 21:37
and I concur, and the saddest thing for me is that this is the first TR game I've not bought on release. It appears to be too short, too simple and lacks polish. There are only so many times ledge jumping is fun. TR needs an injection of puzzle diversity and general game play innovation. Oh and make it bigger.

agree, TR was the first game i ever bought (boxing day 1998 on PS1)

TR is/was one of the greatest franchises to come from the UK and be a global hit, i'm proud of that, so it is a shame i won't be buying TRU. i will still follow TR though and hope the next game is good enough :D

woody543
30-11-08, 21:38
being a TR fan (which starts at TR1 not Legend) does not mean you MUST slavishly love every TR game.

it doesnt but you cant say you hate a game you have never played, nor based solely on reviews, after all arent we all individual and have our own thoughts? i mean for me it was amazing the only bad point was the extras

belter_21
30-11-08, 22:05
it doesnt but you cant say you hate a game you have never played, nor based solely on reviews, after all arent we all individual and have our own thoughts? i mean for me it was amazing the only bad point was the extras

I don't hate it, of course I can't, having only played the demo. But I can read the numerous reviews and user posts on the web, not just here. I also think it's over priced given the reviews.

Kittypower
30-11-08, 22:09
yes but 82% of fans liked it.

belter_21
30-11-08, 22:15
yes but 82% of fans liked it.

82% of all fans? how did you calculate that?

Kittypower
30-11-08, 22:16
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=139270

im using this as a reference, of course its not every fan.

aussie500
30-11-08, 22:19
Well l loved it, so as far as l am concerned anyone who does not buy it is missing out on a great Tomb Raider experience. :mis:

Thorpe
30-11-08, 22:23
You'd be stupid to not play this game. It's not perfect but still pretty fun. :jmp:

Bladerj
30-11-08, 22:40
ME ! :mad:

Platform: PC

1) Quality of the product (bugs, story, replay value) Opinion based on both professional reviews as well as fan feedback.

2) Crude unpolished game,rush it for xmas tactic by Eidos,backlashed at CD masterpiece.

3) Game Length.

So for all the above i REFUSE to buy and suport Eidos !

instead i got my GF to give it to me as Xmas gift...what ? you didn't think i wouldn't play tomb raider game just becouse i won't buy it :ton: :ton:

jeffrey van oort
30-11-08, 22:41
Anyone that does not buy the game will miss a great unique experience.

Bladerj
30-11-08, 22:42
i doubt it, i will not buy it and will still intend to enjoy it. :)

woody543
30-11-08, 22:45
I don't hate it, of course I can't, having only played the demo. But I can read the numerous reviews and user posts on the web, not just here. I also think it's over priced given the reviews.

sorry for any offence coursed it wasnt a personal atack on you i was just arguing your point, it seems like what some people are doing tho, hating it without playing it

TRhalloween
30-11-08, 22:49
Reviewers have never really understood Tomb Raider. We know that the games are good.
And now people are not buying it because some reviews are bad?

DAMN! That isn't italics!

Kittypower
30-11-08, 22:51
the reviews arent bad, its averaging around an 8.

woody543
30-11-08, 22:55
Reviewers have never really understood Tomb Raider. We know that the games are good.
And now people are not buying it because some reviews are bad?

DAMN! That isn't italics!

i agree i mean one review said its down points were that it was the same thing as every other tombraider :s isnt that the point of the sequal

and the other bad point was the lack of multiplayer

silver_wolf
30-11-08, 23:15
and the other bad point was the lack of multiplayer
Reviewers should not take off points for that, it's total bull crap. Not every game works as a multiplayer.

woody543
30-11-08, 23:16
yes i know, an angry letter was written

x2crazyidiot
30-11-08, 23:21
yes i know, an angry letter was written

by moi ;)

seriously, OXM needed to get their act togethor!
Although I doubt my letter will be published in the magazine..... it was quite a rant! :D

woody543
30-11-08, 23:30
by moi ;)

seriously, OXM needed to get their act togethor!
Although I doubt my letter will be published in the magazine..... it was quite a rant! :D

haha you pop up at the best times, i made sure i worded the statement correctly lol

Quasimodo
30-11-08, 23:31
It's worth a rent :wve:

x2crazyidiot
30-11-08, 23:34
haha you pop up at the best times, i made sure i worded the statement correctly lol

damn right :ohn:
I'm like doppelhoe, whenever I'm needed, I appear :D

I could find the email I sent and post it somewhere..... *looks through massive hotmail outbox*

Lior_K
30-11-08, 23:37
It's worth a rent :wve:

I concur. A buddy of mine got it and after being highly disappointed he decided to throw it away, I took it off his hands to give it a try and overall enjoyed the game.

Its not worth the money but good enough to rent or borrow. :tmb:

woody543
30-11-08, 23:43
I concur. A buddy of mine got it and after being highly disappointed he decided to throw it away, I took it off his hands to give it a try and overall enjoyed the game.

Its not worth the money but good enough to rent or borrow. :tmb:

unless you have xbox in which case you buyt it for the dlc or in the case of some buy an xbox for the dlc

Lior_K
30-11-08, 23:47
unless you have xbox in which case you buyt it for the dlc or in the case of some buy an xbox for the dlc

That's still not worth the money...considering you'd be paying for DLC as well. Either wait for prices to drop or just get it second hand because no way it is worth $60. IMHO.

woody543
30-11-08, 23:49
true maybe not $60 but still worth a buy sometime

but mine was 32 which doesnt sound as bad lol

x2crazyidiot
30-11-08, 23:52
I didn't find it that expensive, especially since it's a game I really wanted.
Maybe it's because I saved up for awhile... but I found that TRU was worth every penny of the 49.99 I spent on it :D (yes, I bought the CE)

woody543
30-11-08, 23:54
I didn't find it that expensive, especially since it's a game I really wanted.
Maybe it's because I saved up for awhile... but I found that TRU was worth every penny of the 49.99 I spent on it :D (yes, I bought the CE)

yeh i agree if you dont realy want a game your not going to be able to validate paying all that money but if youve wanted it for ages like most tr fans then yeh

Feather Duster
30-11-08, 23:55
Too late for me, mine's already under the tree [SHUSH!]

:whi: :mis:

woody543
30-11-08, 23:56

haha that must be killing you

its great i promise!!

x2crazyidiot
01-12-08, 00:00

just sneak it out, play it, then wrap it back up again.... no-one will know :pi:

Feather Duster
01-12-08, 00:01
just sneak it out, play it, then wrap it back up again.... no-one will know :pi:

No, cause the xBox 360 is wrapped in PAPER wrapping... :mis:

woody543
01-12-08, 00:02

i wouldnt recomend that, mainly because i did that once but used the wrong wrapping paper and i cant wrap

oh and you dont really count in the "paid" for it group

Feather Duster
01-12-08, 00:06
i wouldnt recomend that, mainly because i did that once but used the wrong wrapping paper and i cant wrap

oh and you dont really count in the "paid" for it group

I know that... still fun to drop in though :p

woody543
01-12-08, 00:10
I know that... still fun to drop in though :p

i think wee need to stop before the creator has ago at us for spamming his thread,

oh and the only problem with the camera was that it seemed to be magnetically attracted to look at laras but when climbing

iamlaracroft
01-12-08, 00:12

Platform: would have been xbox, possibly PC

1) Quality of product lacks replay value, essentially worthless after one or two play-through's

2) Can't justify getting new console or PC upgrade for just one game.

3) Game itself did not meet my personal expectations (camera, unsatisfactory plot, extreme amount of bugs/glitches, game length, etc)

Not a factor:

1) Reviews/opinions of others

2) DLC

3) Price

cat_dancing
01-12-08, 00:26
I think this game is quite boring but still I will defenetly buy it!

cause from time to time eidos release a beautifull perfect game as tr4 or legend and that worth wating for. this is my contribution to keep this project on.

I am over 47 and started with tomb raider 1 way back when it was core design development.
the day thay will anounce that its the last game will be a very sad one for me.

boring or not I am hopping to play tomb raider_3x at my 90 birthday LOL

Eddie Haskell
01-12-08, 01:11
I have not actually purchased a new game in a while. But I still get them, courtesy of a college buddy of mine who is the big boss of a very large retail store. Not that he steals them mind you, he simply owes me a lot of money and I let him off the hook. I have Underworld, I just haven't started it yet. But I would not have purchased it, that's for sure.

Megalith
01-12-08, 01:28
I still haven't bought it and i'm not going to unless i find it for less than half the price or at second hand (this can be in 6 months from now or in a year for all i care.)

The reasons for this are:
1.No demo.
2.Too many bugs
3.Broken Camera (its even worse than Anniversary and i HATED the camera in that game)
4.Completely uninterested in the storyline.
5.Because the PS3 version seems to be a rushed port.
6.A total disgust towards Eidos for trying to control the reviews of the game,and also for continuing their policy of releasing a TR game every year that looks like the poor relative of other big AAA titles.

Not a factor:
1.DLC (i wouldn't purchase it even if it was for PS3 because i don't support this kind of business)
2.Length (i don't mind if a game is relatively short as long as it offers quality)
3.Money,even though there are too many games that interest me in this period..TR games always took priority for me (with the exception of Underworld.)

frigabond
01-12-08, 01:47
Can I pay for it: YES. That's the one thier interested in.

Did I buy it? NO

Did I rent it? YES

Why? Because I was a little nervous about quality and value for money

Did I enjoy it? Decidedly YES!!!

Was it worth buying? Unfortunately no.

Why? 9 hours tombraiding is not a full game imho and therefore not worth the askimg price at launch. It IS worth the 5 rental for a week deal I got considering I completed it over 2 nights. I WILL however purchase it when it discounts as it IS a good tombraider it's just far too short and far too easy in it's present incarnation

Shark_Blade
01-12-08, 01:53
In my opinion you guys are missing out in TRU, but that's your call. :wve:
It did have some flaws (the camera mainly) just like any other game but it didn't reduce my enjoyment at all.

You should really see Meditteranean Sea, Thailand, Mexico and Arctic Sea. My favorite locations! :cln:

Just.tim
01-12-08, 02:19
im deffinatley not going to buy it, put off completely, this was a hit for tomb raider but ill pass, Mother issues, killing off characters... not enough mercs?

dad even offered to buy me a 360, oh god hope he doesnt..

thevman
01-12-08, 05:07
I have not actually purchased a new game in a while. But I still get them, courtesy of a college buddy of mine who is the big boss of a very large retail store. Not that he steals them mind you, he simply owes me a lot of money and I let him off the hook. I have Underworld, I just haven't started it yet. But I would not have purchased it, that's for sure.

Send it to me when you're done... ;) :whi:

iamlaracroft
01-12-08, 05:31
]In my opinion you guys are missing out in TRU, but that's your call. [/B]:wve:
It did have some flaws (the camera mainly) just like any other game but it didn't reduce my enjoyment at all.

You should really see Meditteranean Sea, Thailand, Mexico and Arctic Sea. My favorite locations! :cln:

How are we missing out if we played it but decided it wasn't worth our patronage and kept our money?

Seems to me the only ones "missing" anything are those who actually plunked down cash to buy TRU--missing sixty bucks that is :p

MattTR
01-12-08, 05:33
Who wouldn't? :p I already bought and beat it, it was worth it, but I don't think it has much replay value. :o

Bowie
01-12-08, 06:12
I honestly just can't afford it, but I CERTAINLY won't go out and buy it while this PS3+TRU competition is going on! (Yay @ being Aussie)

vX Iceman Xv
01-12-08, 06:41
I refuse to buy a game that isn't an RPG or an online multiplayer game (for my 360 that is).

And since TRU is neither of those, I rented it, and glad I did.

TigerSoundNet
01-12-08, 06:50
My reply has to be simple, because I can't buy a game that my system will not play. :o (Shader3 was the death of TRU, for me. And too many reviews were definitely "not epic".) And how can I make Christmas gifts with a game that probably won't play for others? :confused: (TRL's dual nature made a lot of SENSE, folks.)

RAID
01-12-08, 09:10
I always said I'd try it first, and buy it if I like it, and not buy it if I don't. Luckily I loved it, so buying it was not an issue for me :). So you can say that I kept my word as well.