PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fix For Nvidia 7*** Series Cards

darkstone
01-12-08, 03:48
First post on these forums so I hope it will help some of you out.

Like many others with an Nvidia 7*** series card(I have a 7900 GS) I was experiencing severe stuttering in the mansion level and a crash every time the cut scene played.No matter what graphics settings I used, attempting to run the game resulted in the above mentioned ctd.My loading times were also incredibley long.

I started searching around and found this little fix which enabled me to get past the cut scene and play with barely a stutter.

Run RegEdit and navigate to the following directory:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider: Underworld/Graphics

In the list find the field 'DontDeferShaderCreation' and change the value to '0' (it should be set at 1)

Exit RegEdit

This worked like a charm and also decreases the loading times.

Hope this fix works for those of you with the same problem.

Cristina
01-12-08, 10:43
It realy works?doen´t damage the pc or the game??

darkstone
01-12-08, 10:58
It realy works?doen´t damage the pc or the game??

It certainly fixed the issues I was having.

However,like all registry editing if you make a mistake and alter something important to your system you may make your machine unusable.

Cristina
01-12-08, 11:54
It certainly fixed the issues I was having.

However,like all registry editing if you make a mistake and alter something important to your system you may make your machine unusable.

WOOOWW! it realy works! my game the load game its perfect and run normal and the game run a bitt better than before!:yik:

ps:its any change to make the game run more faster lol?:p

BrumRaider
01-12-08, 12:22
I have a 7600 GS, so does anybody think it will do the same for me?.

My computer is backed up, so i will try this when i get back from work. That gives me some hope regards the game, as i really wanna play with the new and improved (some say) Lara ;)

Thanks for the heads up, and i will post back with my findings later on. :D

BrumRaider

.:Tirivol:.
01-12-08, 13:33
First post on these forums so I hope it will help some of you out.

Like many others with an Nvidia 7*** series card(I have a 7900 GS) I was experiencing severe stuttering in the mansion level and a crash every time the cut scene played.No matter what graphics settings I used, attempting to run the game resulted in the above mentioned ctd.My loading times were also incredibley long.

I started searching around and found this little fix which enabled me to get past the cut scene and play with barely a stutter.

Run RegEdit and navigate to the following directory:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider: Underworld/Graphics

In the list find the field 'DontDeferShaderCreation' and change the value to '0' (it should be set at 1)

Exit RegEdit

This worked like a charm and also decreases the loading times.

Hope this fix works for those of you with the same problem.

what's RegEdit?

Cristina
01-12-08, 14:23
what's RegEdit?
In the "execute" in the menu bar tap RegEdit and press navigate "ok" to the following directory and folow the extructions from the darkstone,i don´t know what it means but it will help:)

eraser
01-12-08, 17:13
thanks for the try there, but i think that solution was posted somewhere else to fix loading times. i did it, and loading times're fixed. however stuttering is not...

EscondeR
01-12-08, 18:28
First post on these forums.

Nope - so for those who have 6/7 series precaching is pointless and eats up loading time:P

So do this:
In the registry:
HCU/Software/Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider: Underworld/Graphics
change to '0' the entry DontDeferShaderCreation

Witch stops the engine from precaching in theory:P and speed up loading times atleast in my pc

darkstone
01-12-08, 18:31
I actually meant my first post on the forum.

Legend Killer
01-12-08, 20:30
I will give this a shot as well as I am running a 7600 card also and no luck with Underworld. Thanks for the tip. :tmb:

silviu_raider
01-12-08, 20:40
I am also running a 7600 card (the GT version) and the fix that is provided here is amazing!!!
Before this fix I was running it on Medium Texture Detail, it was loading the level in like 5 minutes and it was moving like Matrix :cln:
But after the fix, I am running it now on High, and the level load it's done in 10-20 seconds and I can run it very good! :jmp:
So thanks!!!

Simulation
02-12-08, 00:21
Since this seems to be a good fix. I have knocked up a little program to fix the problem without having to edit the registry.

www.tombraiderhub.com/download/truregfix.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/truregfix.exe)

It will fix the game and the demo. There is also an option to undo the change in case nVidia come out with an improved driver.

I hope this helps

Regards
Sim

Simulation
02-12-08, 00:39
Welcome to the forums Darkstone :tmb:

BrumRaider
02-12-08, 12:24
Well, after trying this fix i can say that it has definetley speeded up the loading times, and it seems to of helped with the stuttering somewhat. Its still pretty bad with all the fire in the beginning, but it does chug along now, and im able to get past that area. Now im on the boat after the first cutscene, and everything looks great and it seems to be very smooth indeed. It looks mighty fine also. The settings are all on high and or on, and finally i feel i can make some headway with the game. :D Thanks for the tip. I was all for giving up on Lara this year :hug:

Oh btw i should mention that the graphics card i have is the Geforce 7600 GS with 512mb memory. Its running the latest drivers (178's i think??), and im running the November 2008 DirectX. XP Pro also and not Vista. That will never see the light of day on this comp.

Thanks again :)

BrumRaider

jaywalker
02-12-08, 12:42
Well, after trying this fix i can say that it has definetley speeded up the loading times, and it seems to of helped with the stuttering somewhat. Its still pretty bad with all the fire in the beginning, but it does chug along now, and im able to get past that area. Now im on the boat after the first cutscene, and everything looks great and it seems to be very smooth indeed. It looks mighty fine also. The settings are all on high and or on, and finally i feel i can make some headway with the game. :D Thanks for the tip. I was all for giving up on Lara this year :hug:

Oh btw i should mention that the graphics card i have is the Geforce 7600 GS with 512mb memory. Its running the latest drivers (178's i think??), and im running the November 2008 DirectX. XP Pro also and not Vista. That will never see the light of day on this comp.

Thanks again :)

BrumRaider

Thanks for the feedback, its nice to know the workaround does work. Its something we're looking to address in the patch..

HansDracow
02-12-08, 12:48
Well...

This little trick works with the loading times but the game is still unplayable at least in the first screen with all these flames around. However I never tried in later levels due the stuttering issue makes my stress up and I can't finish the Lara's Manor level xDDD

I have a Geforce Go 7950 GTX (with dedicated 512mb). Forceware 179.13 and latest directx 9.0c.

I hope the issue with nvidia 6/7 series will be fixed soon. I really want to play this game. Lara looks amazing in this game! ^^

Regards,
Hans Dracow

sychnant
02-12-08, 16:32
Well done Darkstone, If that's your first post i wonder what miracles you will perform with your second :-))
But seriously, i was struggling to get he game to run on my Toshiba laptop which has the Nvidia 7900GS card and that regedit fixed it right away.
So thanks for all your help...:-))

.:Tirivol:.
02-12-08, 16:56
Well...

This little trick works with the loading times but the game is still unplayable at least in the first screen with all these flames around. However I never tried in later levels due the stuttering issue makes my stress up and I can't finish the Lara's Manor level xDDD

I have a Geforce Go 7950 GTX (with dedicated 512mb). Forceware 179.13 and latest directx 9.0c.

I hope the issue with nvidia 6/7 series will be fixed soon. I really want to play this game. Lara looks amazing in this game! ^^

Regards,
Hans Dracow

where i can find the last directx9.0? could you please give me a link ? :P

eraser
02-12-08, 20:17
does anyone get sound problems as well with skips?

i managed to bust my frustration and get past the first level. in the underwater caves now, still a similar problem, but no-where near as bad. sound cuts out as well which is wierd.

what confuses me though is, why was it like that in the mansion, when the underwater level is blatantly huge compared to the mansion?

abraham
02-12-08, 23:28
lol all you guys are all on old drivers.. go here www.guru3d.com

Its nice to hear about the patch:) i hope they taking there time to address most of them.

BrumRaider
03-12-08, 01:38
Thanks for the feedback, its nice to know the workaround does work. Its something we're looking to address in the patch..

Well it was very short lived. It worked ok until i jumped into the water. After that it began stuttering and pausing again. Nowhere near as bad as before, but still enough for me to decide its not worth playing. That is until either a patch from you guys comes out, or until a better driver gets released. If neither happens, then i may buy a new graphics card, though i dont think its worth it, seeing as i only play TR games on this PC. Im not a huge gamer at all, yet ive always bought and played TR's from the very beginning on the PC. It sucks, i like others have all these issues, but well fingers crossed it gets resolved. If not then TRA would of been my last. :( Atleast i can re live some of the early TR memories by replaying them again. Ahhh all those simple graphics and huge locations........i do miss the gameplay of yesteryear.

BrumRaider

aussie500
03-12-08, 06:59
Welcome to the forum darkstone. :wve:

Thank you very much for the fix with the loading problem, l have a Nvidia 6600 GT and it really helps with the excessive loading times. :hug:

does anyone get sound problems as well with skips?

i managed to bust my frustration and get past the first level. in the underwater caves now, still a similar problem, but no-where near as bad. sound cuts out as well which is wierd.

what confuses me though is, why was it like that in the mansion, when the underwater level is blatantly huge compared to the mansion?

l had sound problems sometimes, especially in the courtyard area of Thailand, where the Shiva and Kali statues are. It ran reasonably fine once l turned off all the extra settings and reduced the texture detail to medium and texture filtering to bilinear, but it looked like a completely different game. :(

Did you update your sound drivers eraser?

Jun Pax
03-12-08, 08:20
Can anyone help me how to navigate to the RegEdit with a German computer interface?

dox online
03-12-08, 08:22
It should be in the C:\Windows folder (whatever that may be in german)

EscondeR
03-12-08, 08:56
Can anyone help me how to navigate to the RegEdit with a German computer interface?

Anfangen > Geführt, type in "regedit" w/o quotes and press Enter (note that I used on-line translator, so actually it may be Start > Geführt even).

Jun Pax
03-12-08, 09:42
Found it! Now I'm curious to see if the game works.

Jun Pax
03-12-08, 12:17
Well, the game works, but as for others with a 7*** card, it stutters and takes too long for loading. Impossible to play that way. :(

jaywalker
03-12-08, 13:23
what 7 series card do u have?

Jun Pax
03-12-08, 13:45
I have nVidia GeForce 7900 GT.

Xare
03-12-08, 18:36
I have a 7900 GS but when I look in the registry I do NOT have the entries you said to change.

No Crystal Dynamics directory unless I look under Local User. But there is no Graphics directory there.

spider-pig
03-12-08, 19:45
Mhmh, finally some help for my outdated pentium 4 heh?

Edit: The in-game performance didn't really change psst, pentium 4, but the loading is soooo much smoother

Simulation
03-12-08, 19:45
I have a 7900 GS but when I look in the registry I do NOT have the entries you said to change.

No Crystal Dynamics directory unless I look under Local User. But there is no Graphics directory there.

It is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider: Underworld\Graphics

Xare
03-12-08, 23:56
Yea I know how to use Regedit.

But I do not have :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider: Underworld\Graphics

Tomb Raider also locks up my PC at load. Maybe my install is corrupt ?

Simulation
04-12-08, 01:23
Yes, that may be possible. It is likely that the CURRENT_USER values are not written to the registry until the game has started successfully and closed succesfully.
I would suggest you create a new thread for your installation problem and run diagnose.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/diagnose.exe)and post the results.

MoonSword
04-12-08, 23:16
I applied the ragistry value change.
Level loading is now perfect, about one minute before the change.
The frame rate seems a bit affected (couple of fps lower).
I'm using a GeForce 7800 GTX with 256 Mb memory, driver Forceware 178.24.