PDA

View Full Version : My college photography

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 20:55
Don't know if this should go here but yeah here goes.

Yeah, lately I have been working on adverts doing studio photography but also subverts.

For people who don't know suberts.
A subvert is when you change a mean on a advert to make it humourous (sp?) or have a political meaning. For instance, i saw one the other day during class. The snap crackle and pop cereal box... Someone changed it to, smack, crack and pot. To give it a humourous effect to it. Others can give a deaper more emtotion feels like change your mind about certain things etc etc. All in book can't be bothered to copy all the information i have on it.

But my work is a subvert for jewelry. The meaning behind mine is you don't have to have money to buy nice stuff or look good. Cheaper items can look as good, and last probally longer.

Here is my picture I have started finally after 6 weeks or something on photoshop after doing research on jewelry and doing all my photography shoots from full body shots, to just the neck area.
It's still a work on progress but i spent about 4 hours on photoshop doing this picture today.

Orignal Photo.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/Photo-dude-92/DSC_2107-1.jpg

Photoshopped photo - The writting I selected was very quickly as i was running out of time at the end of college so just throw something down very quickly in a odd quick colour

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/Photo-dude-92/Finalpracticecopy-1.jpg

Titanium
02-12-08, 20:56
Really nice. :tmb:

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 20:59
Thank you :D

Punaxe
02-12-08, 21:00
In all honesty I am not sure if I understand correctly what you mean by a subvert, and what you are trying to do... Are you trying to make a cheap piece of jewellery look expensive or so?

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 21:04
In all honesty I am not sure if I understand correctly what you mean by a subvert, and what you are trying to do... Are you trying to make a cheap piece of jewellery look expensive or so?

Trying to put the message across that you don't need money to buy nice stuff like jewelry. That cheaper stuff can still look nice no matter what the brand, or price. Hope that sort of helped a bit.

In my final thing i'm planning on having like a cheap store for jewelry logo in a corner. And the "can you tell the difference" slogan basicly saying can you actually tell the difference from cheap and expensive jewelry.

Punaxe
02-12-08, 21:11
Trying to put the message across that you don't need money to buy nice stuff like jewelry. That cheaper stuff can still look nice no matter what the brand, or price. Hope that sort of helped a bit.

In my final thing i'm planning on having like a cheap store for jewelry logo in a corner. And the "can you tell the difference" slogan basicly saying can you actually tell the difference from cheap and expensive jewelry.

That is a good message, especially in this economic situation :p
It's just that I could not read that message from your picture yet - it looks expensive to me... Indeed adding a cheap store's logo would finish it, or at least some way of telling it actually isn't expensive :tmb:

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 21:16
That is a good message, especially in this economic situation :p
It's just that I could not read that message from your picture yet - it looks expensive to me... Indeed adding a cheap store's logo would finish it, or at least some way of telling it actually isn't expensive :tmb:

Thank you.
My teacher his self seemed confused with my idea. But it's slowly, very slowly working it's way from my head on to computer. But when the final version is done, i'll be sure to put it on here. ;)
But keep brining the comments and questions.

Oh by the way, I am doing a BTEC Nation Deplomer (:D) in photography. First year of it and enjoying it very much but did it for two years at school as a GCSE.

Punaxe
02-12-08, 21:22
(...)
Oh by the way, I am doing a BTEC Nation Deplomer (:D) in photography. First year of it and enjoying it very much but did it for two years at school as a GCSE.

In that case, would your educational institute have proper studio lighting available to you? The effect you created in Photoshop, I think, could be done with some umbrella/softbox as well, with better quality than post-processing could deliver... While you're at it you could toy around with streak filters as well :D
(No offense or anything, just tips, hope you don't take it the wrong way...)

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 21:29
Well my school didn't supply anything they where a bit crappy but my college has a proper infinity dome, (Studio set) all the lighting. We ever have our store to get other lighting and everything.
My college is a proper art and design college. Apperently there are only 3-4 in our country. And it is fully equiped for everything, exspecially photography.

The studio is amazing :D :jmp:

Punaxe
02-12-08, 21:35
Well my school didn't supply anything they where a bit crappy but my college has a proper infinity dome, (Studio set) all the lighting. We ever have our store to get other lighting and everything.
My college is a proper art and design college. Apperently there are only 3-4 in our country. And it is fully equiped for everything, exspecially photography.

The studio is amazing :D :jmp:

Then I suggest you use it! :D I would love to have access to such a thing, and definitely rather have the real experience than faking it in Ps :p

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 21:58
I try to use it as much as I can. But, it goes out to the degree students and all of the other courses going round the college. So it's gone a lot of the time which is a pain. But thats life.

But yeah, photography is a good hobbie but a hard thing to get into apperently. But it's amazing! and so relaxing and gives that sence of achievment :D

Punaxe
02-12-08, 22:00
Not only hard, also expensive... :( But very enjoyable, for sure.

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 22:03
Not only hard, also expensive... :( But very enjoyable, for sure.

Oh yeah expensive deffinetly pack of darkroom paper from my stores pearl type. 28.98 :eek: i was a bit shocked but need it for my project before. But it's good quality stuff mixture between glossy paper and matt stuff :D

Films for SLR are about 2, camera's are expensive... Lighting expensive... it's like ARGH!!! So glad i can hire out all the equipment, but just have to buy stuff like films and paper.

Rachel Croft
02-12-08, 22:06
Hey, I have some photoshopped pics like that, although I'm not in college. May I show one please? Asking so I don't take credit from your work:)

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 22:08
Yeah sure... Show on here. I don't mind. Just generally talking bout photography in general at the moment :)
But my final print will be here next week :D

Punaxe
02-12-08, 22:13
Oh yeah expensive deffinetly pack of darkroom paper from my stores pearl type. 28.98 :eek: i was a bit shocked but need it for my project before. But it's good quality stuff mixture between glossy paper and matt stuff :D

Films for SLR are about 2, camera's are expensive... Lighting expensive... it's like ARGH!!! So glad i can hire out all the equipment, but just have to buy stuff like films and paper.

Ah, film? I started in the digital age, so I don't have that problem... Probably does save some money in the long run, although I have to miss out on some great films like Velvia for example.
I think a rule of thumb is you spend like two times as much on lenses as on your camera body (talking digital of course), and three times as much on lighting :p Sounds about right...

Rachel Croft
02-12-08, 22:15
^Thank you, I love photography, its so fun to me.:)

Oh, and, this is NOT ME. Its one of my friends.
BEFORE:
http://i35.************/23st72v.jpg

AFTER:
http://i33.************/2i1krhx.jpg

Doesn't cost me a dime either. And I also learned myself.

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 22:17
Ah, film? I started in the digital age, so I don't have that problem... Probably does save some money in the long run, although I have to miss out on some great films like Velvia for example.
I think a rule of thumb is you spend like two times as much on lenses as on your camera body (talking digital of course), and three times as much on lighting :p Sounds about right...

I'm only 16, so i was also born in the digital age :P
But Film photography is so expensive but you can also use it in studio's So you can get those amazing lighting black and white film ones which have that bit of grain to them which you can edit in the darkroom. Which i haven't done yet but would love to do it.

Digital i use to hate, as i had to teach my self on photoshop in my first two years as my teacher hated me i hated him! He said i never asked for help even though i did :\
So i got photoshop at my house and just played around, so basicly everything I have done on that image i learnt my self :D
No tutorials, just simple messing around.

Edit: That picture is really good you can clearly see the difference!!! I really like it.

Angelx14
02-12-08, 22:18
No offence, but I don't really understand why you edited the original? Kinda dumb here =p Though your idea sounds nice.

Tomb-Dude
02-12-08, 22:22
No offence, but I don't really understand why you edited the original? Kinda dumb here =p Though your idea sounds nice.

It's part of my project i had to do... We had to use photoshop and studio lighting to pass on this project. And it makes it look nicer as well :D

Geck-o-Lizard
02-12-08, 22:40
Being a massive Photoshop nerd, I'd like to pass on two tips that I think you'll find really handy for this project. :tmb: I took the liberty of playing with your original photo to give you an example of what you can do.

1. Redynamix - a custom filter that lets you spruce up images with dramatic lighting and contrast adjustments that Photoshop doesn't provide by default.
http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html
Download and install it, then restart Photoshop and it'll be added to the bottom of the Filter menu under a sub-menu called "DCE Tools".
If the original image is as dark overall as this one, you'll want to increase the contrast & brightness a little before you begin.
One thing to note is that it pastes an enormous watermark over the top and bottom of your image. To avoid this ruining the picture, go to Image --> Canvas Size and add 200 pixels to the height of the canvas. When you're done, crop it back down to the original size.
Here are settings I found that worked nicely, and a preview of what it would look like:
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6048/redynamixgv6.jpg

2. Airbrushing to clean up your model's skin. This is stupidly easy and really fun. :D In the Toolbox, there's an icon of an elastoplast. Click it. Now, hold down the ALT key on your keyboard and click somewhere on the image where there's clean, unblemished skin. Now let go of ALT and start removing all the spots and moles by simply clicking on them.
Here's my result:
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4189/airbrushedfq7.jpg

viper456
02-12-08, 22:52
:yik:
*runs into the thread*

http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html

*steals*

*runs back out*

*runs back in*

CHEERS!

*runs back out*

:D

Punaxe
03-12-08, 00:25
That HDR plugin looks pretty interesting, although it's not really meant for this particular situation I'd say. The effect you illustrate can much easier be done by setting the white point to be on the skin :p No plugins needed.

In what format does the plugin come though? I'd like to have it, but don't have Photoshop... Don't suppose it's a standard format like .8bf ? :p

SamReeves
03-12-08, 01:04
I never liked HDR as it tends to over-hype a photo. In any case I still like film, have a darkroom, but also still do digital for work. There's a good sense of accomplishment when you come out smelling of Dektol from an evening of printing. :)

Punaxe
03-12-08, 12:43
Browsing Flickr these days for HDR tags makes me puke, but, HDR can be nice when done right.
I don't know much about darkrooms, but hasn't HDR stuff been done since forever? Can't you process different areas (say the sky) of the film differently for it to have more contrast?

Candygirl
03-12-08, 15:52
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/Photo-dude-92/DSC_2107-1.jpg

Photoshopped photo - The writting I selected was very quickly as i was running out of time at the end of college so just throw something down very quickly in a odd quick colour

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/Photo-dude-92/Finalpracticecopy-1.jpg

whats the difference??

Tomb-Dude
03-12-08, 18:33
The slogan isn't for the picture change it's the slogan for my advert (read information about my advert/subvert to understand it)

But yeah, had mini assessment. And my teacher basicly ****ged off my not even finished practice final picture. Even though i had to explain i had to hurry as i had to get a bus and time was getting closer to the end of college when i printed that picture, also that the picture wasn't full edited only half way through.

But yeah, her main comment was about the hair. She said it looked fake which is sort of the effect i wanted as in the original photo it has no texture to it nothing.
But then again she hates me i think. Always saying stuff and putting me down about my work :mad:

Geck-o-Lizard
03-12-08, 18:48
I really don't think she hates you; the picture could do with some improvement because, as you said, it's an unfinished first-first-draft, and she needed to tell you what to do next. Art teachers are like this, and it's partly why I quit art to do computer networking instead, lol.

You should listen to her advice on a purely critical level and have another go at photoshopping the original picture. This time, I'd suggest you try not to lose the shading of the skin by avoiding any filters or blurring, and don't brighten the hair quite so much. I also wouldn't bother trying to modify the skin and the hair separately, because that'll cause problems getting them to look natural together. I honestly don't think you need to do anything to the original photo other than increase the brightness and remove the spots. :)