PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving, Jesus, and Salmonella

wantafanta
03-12-08, 04:46
Sunday night I had my 2nd Thanksgiving dinner. A customer from the supermarket where I work invited me to his home near Northwestern University to share a late Thanksgiving dinner with some NU students and his family. That's all good because I like the company. But one thing irks me about Thanksgiving dinners at other peoples' homes. The cook invariably uses his bare hands to pull apart the turkey during carving. To make matters worse, there are usually a couple other guests who have to help and they use their fingers to handle the cranberry sauce, pull apart the bread and whatever else.
On TV, the cooks always use gloves, and our deli department personnel use gloves at the store to slice meat and handle it.
My observation is that people are fairly dirty. Their hands have been everywhere, and half of us don't wash them enough. And when we do, we do a poor job. You should use lots of soap and lather it up at least 30 seconds and rinse in warm water. And even if you do wash up, all you have to do is shake hands with somebody, or pick up the telephone, and it's all for nothing. I had Salmonella before. I couldn't move from the sofa for the whole day, I felt that nauseous. It was like being at sea. And Salmonella is just one of a kaleidoscope of illnesses you can get - Campylobacter, Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, Shigella, Clostridium botulinium, Hepatitis A and Calciviruses. A bacteria called Vibrio parahemolyticus, and a parasite called Cyclospora have been found to be the cause of a few recent outbreaks of food borne illnesses.
The last thing you should be doing is pulling apart a turkey or trying to steady a can of jellied cranberry sauce bare handed while you slice it. It's common sense and common courtesy.
A simple bottle of hand sanitizer is the answer. I try to carry one in my pocket, and I use it after handling a restaurant menu or after exiting the door of the men's room.

Enough on that. The other thing that bugged me is that somebody was called upon to start the meal with a prayer. So this lady next to me bows her head and starts, "we thank you Jesus...." Well, I'm Jewish. Anyone who gets past the 6th grade knows that the United States is a pluralistic society of many faiths and backgrounds. It's just common sense and courtesy (yes, again) to try to take that into account on certain occasions. My personal belief is that God or Jesus play no role in our good fortunes or our misfortunes. Despicable people can live long, fruitful lives and caring, wonderful people can die in a train wreck. If someone wants to thank Jesus for good things, that fine. But they shouldn't assume that we all feel that way.

SpongeBob Lover
03-12-08, 05:08
thats true! i have hand sanitizer in my room, back pack, pe locker hehe

great way to sum things up :tmb:

Tomb of Legends
03-12-08, 05:17
Sunday night I had my 2nd Thanksgiving dinner. A customer from the supermarket where I work invited me to his home near Northwestern University to share a late Thanksgiving dinner with some NU students and his family. That's all good because I like the company. But one thing irks me about Thanksgiving dinners at other peoples' homes. The cook invariably uses his bare hands to pull apart the turkey during carving. To make matters worse, there are usually a couple other guests who have to help and they use their fingers to handle the cranberry sauce, pull apart the bread and whatever else.
On TV, the cooks always use gloves, and our deli department personnel use gloves at the store to slice meat and handle it.
My observation is that people are fairly dirty. Their hands have been everywhere, and half of us don't wash them enough. And when we do, we do a poor job. You should use lots of soap and lather it up at least 30 seconds and rinse in warm water. And even if you do wash up, all you have to do is shake hands with somebody, or pick up the telephone, and it's all for nothing. I had Salmonella before. I couldn't move from the sofa for the whole day, I felt that nauseous. It was like being at sea. And Salmonella is just one of a kaleidoscope of illnesses you can get - Campylobacter, Salmonella, E. coli O157:H7, Shigella, Clostridium botulinium, Hepatitis A and Calciviruses. A bacteria called Vibrio parahemolyticus, and a parasite called Cyclospora have been found to be the cause of a few recent outbreaks of food borne illnesses.
The last thing you should be doing is pulling apart a turkey or trying to steady a can of jellied cranberry sauce bare handed while you slice it. It's common sense and common courtesy.
A simple bottle of hand sanitizer is the answer. I try to carry one in my pocket, and I use it after handling a restaurant menu or after exiting the door of the men's room.

Enough on that. The other thing that bugged me is that somebody was called upon to start the meal with a prayer. So this lady next to me bows her head and starts, "we thank you Jesus...." Well, I'm Jewish. Anyone who gets past the 6th grade knows that the United States is a pluralistic society of many faiths and backgrounds. It's just common sense and courtesy (yes, again) to try to take that into account on certain occasions. My personal belief is that God or Jesus play no role in our good fortunes or our misfortunes. Despicable people can live long, fruitful lives and caring, wonderful people can die in a train wreck. If someone wants to thank Jesus for good things, that fine. But they shouldn't assume that we all feel that way.

Hypercondriac..:p

ivannnnn
03-12-08, 05:52
My personal belief is that God or Jesus play no role in our good fortunes or our misfortunes

God does for me, Jesus doesn't. :)

great way to sum things up

SAME HERE, I'm always clean. :D

Flipper1987
03-12-08, 22:42
My observation is that people are fairly dirty.

You are obviously a Democrat. You should get together with Harry Reid who thinks tourists (visiting the Capitol building) smell. :)

To be fair, your point on hand-washing during meal preparation is well-intentioned, but...

Enough on that. The other thing that bugged me is that somebody was called upon to start the meal with a prayer. So this lady next to me bows her head and starts, "we thank you Jesus...." Well, I'm Jewish. Anyone who gets past the 6th grade knows that the United States is a pluralistic society of many faiths and backgrounds. It's just common sense and courtesy (yes, again) to try to take that into account on certain occasions.

Holy cow.

Here's a question: after seeing how wantafanta is invited to a house & then turns around and slams the people who invited him (out of the goodness of their hearts), would anybody here invite wantafanta to their house, knowing full well that he'll probably criticize everything you do when your back is turned?

**Newsflash: if you walk into a Christian home, they'll probably say a Christian-oriented prayer before a meal. Be ready for it.**

If you can't sit through a simple prayer without getting upset, you have deeper issues that need to be addressed in a professional manner. It's not all about you, wantafanta. My God (oops, Yahweh), lighten up.

FLIPPER - not inviting wantafanta to my home anytime soon.

Melonie Tomb Raider
03-12-08, 22:49
Goodness gracious, these people spent God knows how long preparing this meal, and this is how you respond?

And as far as the prayer goes, just because she prayed to Jesus doesn't mean you have to, just leave that part out of yours. Seriously, THEY invited you, so by george, if they want to pray to Jesus, it's none of your business. If you're so easily offended, you shouldn't have went in the first place.

Honestly, I attended a church once where the pastor asked everyone to pray for blessings upon Satan. Ok... I'm totally against that, being that I'm a conservative Christian, but rather than whining and making a riot, I prayed my own prayer instead, and I don't attend that church anymore.

No need to complain, especially since these people so graciously invited you to a meal that they slaved over.

Quasimodo
03-12-08, 23:04
Telling from your posts, you don't seem like a very happy person.

SamReeves
03-12-08, 23:12
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5531/donkeylm9.jpg

irjudd
03-12-08, 23:22
Telling from your posts, you don't seem like a very happy person.
Me neither!!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/quasiraider2/2004081209.jpg

:smk:

xMiSsCrOfTx
03-12-08, 23:34
I get where you're coming from with being iffy about eating food others have prepared, especially when they're using their bare hands, but I'm with the others. It was really nice they invited you, they didn't have to, but they did.

Negative waves, man.

You do know that there have been studies that show hand sanitizer is actually bad to use all the time, right? :S

Solice
03-12-08, 23:36
There is a winning combonation

wantafanta
04-12-08, 02:10
Anyway, I've decided to convert to Muslim.
Eid Mubarak as Salam Walekum!

Mr.Burns
04-12-08, 03:33
Uh yea, we're done here.