PDA

View Full Version : I just got frauded...

rickybazire
03-12-08, 15:26
I noticed that 1600.15 was taken out of my account without me knowing about it. So I went into Abbey, and after one hour 40 minutes, I came out knowing that...

1) My current card is going to be cancelled. I do have another that I can use though. And another card is going to be sent to me within a week.
2) The payment of 1600.15 is going to be cancelled, so that I know the other person hasn't got it.
3) The money went to a Barclays bank in Leicester.
4) Within 3 weeks, I should get my money back. Hopefully before Christmas.

They suspect it was something to do with the e-banking. So if you do do e-banking, always remember to do virus checks regularly to ensure that nothing like this will happen.

Candygirl
03-12-08, 15:47
I noticed that 1600.15 was taken out of my account without me knowing about it. So I went into Abbey, and after one hour 40 minutes, I came out knowing that...

1) My current card is going to be cancelled. I do have another that I can use though. And another card is going to be sent to me within a week.
2) The payment of 1600.15 is going to be cancelled, so that I know the other person hasn't got it.

They suspect it was something to do with the e-banking. So if you do do e-banking, always remember to do virus checks regularly to ensure that nothing like this will happen.

well good thing your tale ends well.. imagine not having that money at all or.. worst where the bank refused to cancel the payment.... ;)

NatlaCrazyness
03-12-08, 15:49

That's a reason why I never do Internet shopping, it's too unsafe. No pre-orders, nothing online.

Lavinder
03-12-08, 15:53
That's a reason why I never do Internet shopping, it's too unsafe. No pre-orders, nothing online.

It's safe if you take the precautions :). Same as if you were to carry money with you, you would keep it concealed and safe - if you have your credit debit card with you, you also keep it safe.

Virus's and hackers are just the same as a mugger or someone who installs a card reader on to your local ATM ;).

ajrich17901
03-12-08, 15:54

I dunno only site i use online is Amazon its the only place thats safe in my eyes

NatlaCrazyness
03-12-08, 15:56
It's safe if you take the precautions :). Same as if you were to carry money with you, you would keep it concealed and safe - if you have your credit debit card with you, you also keep it safe.

Virus's and hackers are just the same as a mugger or someone who installs a card reader on to your local ATM ;).
Well my father dosen't go to ATM, he uses his bank website to do that things...

disneyprincess20
03-12-08, 15:59
I feel for you :o My uncle had 8,000 taken out of his account in one day before the bank stopped the withdrawals. He didn't know about it until he tried to get some money out and was denied. It was only when he phoned his bank to query this that they told him his account had been "suspended due to suspected fraudulent behaviour". They're going to refund him the money, but I'm sure it's going to take a long time....

The scary thing is, he doesn't buy stuff online (from the account the money was taken from); they'd cloned the details from somewhere else. Can't be too careful with your details online or in real life.

At least you'll get your money back, and they didn't get it. It's better than nothing. :)

rowanlim
03-12-08, 16:41
^That's right. At least you will get your money back. I'm sorry to hear about what happened.

Voni
03-12-08, 18:08
I remember being told to NEVER let your card out of your sight at restaurants; if they take it away from the table to charge it they could easily clone it without you knowing. Same advice goes for, well, always.

Glad you're getting the money back, though. I'd have gone mad if it were me!

tlr online
03-12-08, 18:23

Do you use a public computer to log into your account? Do you regularly run www.ccleaner.com on your system? Do you have a good anti-virus packag (http://www.kaspersky.com)e in place which performs root scans?

I would also recommend you change ALL your passwords. Everywhere. Including here on our forum.

TRfan23
03-12-08, 18:23
Well my father dosen't go to ATM, he uses his bank website to do that things...

My dad told me to cover up with your hand, when you type in your pass on those, incase some buggers stick a camera up above!

Smog
03-12-08, 19:06
I'm doing most of my Christmas shopping online, but I figure sticking to reputable sites and sellers leaves no cause for concern. Touch wood. :)

♪Here comes the Spider-Man♪

I think you mean ♪Pink elephants on parade♪. :p

rickybazire
03-12-08, 20:44
Do you use a public computer to log into your account? Do you regularly run www.ccleaner.com on your system? Do you have a good anti-virus packag (http://www.kaspersky.com)e in place which performs root scans?

I would also recommend you change ALL your passwords. Everywhere. Including here on our forum.

I use my own computer at home. I don't use that, but I do have Norton AntiVirus, Ad-Aware and Spybot.

I will do that.

Thanks.

Chug a Bug
04-12-08, 16:58
Ouch. I know how that feels. I had my HBOS credit card cloned not so long ago. I'm almost certain it was due to a trojan or keylogger that sneaked it's way onto my computer. I removed it once I knew I was infected but the damage had already been done.

It's not your online banking as such, I've used Abbey online banking myself for years and never had a problem.

The card was ok, I was up to my limit anyway and they declined the payments, they also phoned me to check whether I had made all these transactions recently, and I replied no....