PDA

View Full Version : How to SAFELY install I-tunes

stranger1992
03-12-08, 17:21
i-Choons. You either love it or hate it. i've been battling with this damn program for ages now and the problems it causes. Double/triple files, no album artwork (for huge albums like Michael Jackson's BAD??!!) and I was about to ditch it.

Then, the fool in me chose to install i-tunes 8 for one last go. But I did it carefully.

Now it runs how i-want it to run.

My advice:

After installing the program (and restarting) it will ask you if you want to have i-tunes to search your 'My Music' folder for songs if they are placed there. Press NO! Doing so will fill your library with random songs that will spoil your library. Also, if you have an album you've got and a copy of it is in your music, you get the songs twice.
It asks you if you want I-tunes to organise your folders press YES. Doing so lets Itunes to rename your windows folders and files if you change the tags or info about the album.

It makes life much simpler. Also, if you have a lot of music make sure to go "file>>>consolidate library" so it moves all your music to the "my Music>>Itunes>>Itunes music" folder. :)

When you have I-tunes set up a tip with album artwork. If itunes does not recognise the music and you find the album artwork on the internet, make sure you have that album playing. Then right click the bottom left and press copy. I you don't the album artwork will be copied to what you have playing at that time.

Daniel

(here's my itunes library atm)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/stranger1992/ituneslibrary.jpg

:)

Lew
03-12-08, 17:34
Lol iTunes looks soo ugly on Windows computers.

Angelus
03-12-08, 17:40
I've been doing that since I first downloaded the program...

I use the 'List' view, too. :D

Lew
03-12-08, 17:53
What I do I use the 3 column view thing at the top, no clue what its called.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/lewrulz/Picture1-14.png

And just keep as few playlists as possible but still use them. Like My Top Rated is mainly the playlist i use.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/lewrulz/Picture3.png

viper456
03-12-08, 17:57

it looks exactly the same minus 3 coloured circles :confused: lol.

Lew
03-12-08, 17:59
it looks exactly the same minus 3 coloured circles :confused: lol.

lols i dno why i think it looks better, maybe its the different font and goes with the rest of the computer better.

Angelus
03-12-08, 18:18
lols i dno why i think it looks better, maybe its the different font and goes with the rest of the computer better.

So what you're basically saying is that you think it looks better purely because it's on a Mac?

jamieoliver22
03-12-08, 18:21
Lew, it doesn't matter what OS it is on... It is still ****.

Endow
03-12-08, 18:28
Lew, it doesn't matter what OS it is on... It is still ****.

Not that you haven't got the right to think so, but I'd love to hear why it's ****.

Angelus
03-12-08, 18:29
Not that you haven't got the right to think so, but I'd love to hear why it's ****.

So would I.

Feather Duster
03-12-08, 18:31

You are always so anti-windows and pro mac.

Look, people respect that, but you're getting plain annoying ;)

jamieoliver22
03-12-08, 18:31
^ Agreed.

It is slow, clunky and installs with enough bloatware to sink a ship.

Angelus
03-12-08, 18:32
^ Agreed.

Such as?

Feather Duster
03-12-08, 18:32
^ Agreed.

:vlol:

I used to use apple, but I switched to a sony walkman :p

jamieoliver22
03-12-08, 18:39
I agree with findme (for once :p) - what is the point in showing off, really? I have nothing against Macs at all, I think they are fine - but I do have to agree that they do seem more for the less technically minded folk around.

Such as?

Bonjour Service (DNSResponder.exe)
Apple Mobile Support
iTunes Helper
QuickTime
Safari for Windows

tlr online
03-12-08, 19:01
Actually, I have my own method of installing iTunes and then removing all the 'bloatware' it forces onto my system.

1. Run setup. (Do not install Safari)
2. Do NOT reboot.
3. Open ccleaner, delete iTuneshelper.exe and qttask.exe from startup menu.
4. Rename above files in respective folders.
5. Uninstall Bonjour.
6. Disable Bonjour service.
7. Disable iTunes Helper service.
8. Disable iPod service.

Reboot.

Finally, while I love the iTunes app, I flat out refuse to support Apple and it's draconian method of distributing media. Why pay more in iTunes when you can purchase twice the quality with NO DRM from www.7digital.com ?

I happily deleted every single track I ever bought from iTunes and repurchased again from 7digital. Now I have beautiful 320 kbps music with no DRM, which means I can play it on whatever device I choose.

Apple has a long way to go still.

Feather Duster
03-12-08, 19:01
So many people are gettin' banned today......

Like I said, walkman for me! :D

Justin!! :pi:

Carbonek_0051
03-12-08, 19:02
I had itunes once, but it made my comp freeze up bad, so now I don't use it, don't know how any of you can stand it.

and :vlol: at Justin.

NatlaCrazyness
03-12-08, 19:04
Actually, I have my own method of installing iTunes and then removing all the 'bloatware' it forces onto my system.

2. Do NOT reboot.
5. Uninstall Bonjour.
8. Disable iPod service.

9. Uninstall iTunes it will easier your life

Carbonek_0051
03-12-08, 19:05
9. Uninstall iTunes it will easier your life

:vlol: Ain't that the damn truth

Endow
03-12-08, 19:16
^ Agreed.

Haven't really used iTunes on Windows but from daily-use experience I can tell you that iTunes for the Mac is none of those.

Wow more immaturity around here then I realized.

Also people who have a problem with people braggers are just as incomprehensible. As if bragging is in someway insulting to others. Obviously some people will find an insult anywhere and everywhere.

And why are people ganging up on Lew? A. It's giving him too much importance. B. it's turning a blind eye to other stupid remarks in this thread.

Andariel
03-12-08, 19:23
I use foobar2000 (http://foobar2000.org/) for playing music. It's the only music player I've come across that opens/closes super fast and is very lightweight; only 3mb's. I just buy cd's in stores and mp3's online.

Endow
03-12-08, 19:24
Has anyone tried Songbird? It's actually pretty cool.

Endow
03-12-08, 19:30
No what is it? :)

Open source music player with integrated browser for looking for music etc, powered by Mozilla.

Carbonek_0051
03-12-08, 19:32
Open source music player with integrated browser for looking for music etc, powered by Mozilla.

Do I need firefox to use it?:pi:

Endow
03-12-08, 19:35
Do I need firefox to use it?:pi:

No. getsongbird.com Read for yourself.

Carbonek_0051
03-12-08, 19:36
No. getsongbird.com Read for yourself.

Encore
03-12-08, 20:00
I use foobar2000 (http://foobar2000.org/) for playing music. It's the only music player I've come across that opens/closes super fast and is very lightweight; only 3mb's. I just buy cd's in stores and mp3's online.

Foobar is great, I just use Winamp because it's easier to use and because I'm a nut for desktop customizing, hence I love the billions of Winamp skins and CD Art Display. :p

Punaxe
03-12-08, 20:58
I still use a really old WinAMP version: 2.91. When I tried WinAMP 3 it was so slow and such a resource hog that I never bothered to try another version anymore, 2.91 serves me well except when it comes to some newer streams.

Cochrane
03-12-08, 21:14
My recommendation for installing iTunes on Windows: Don't. Maybe it's a secret plot by Apple to sell more Macs, but iTunes for Windows always feels much more sluggy than the Mac version (which I love, by the way).

By the way, this has to be one of the most entertaining threads here recently. :D I just wonder why no mod closed it yet.

oocladableeblah
03-12-08, 21:22
I honestly love itunes and I don't have any problems with it. It isn't very hard to use. I have all my artwork and everything. Although yeah I did have duplicates, but I deleted all of them. Only thing I don't like about iTunes is that it doesn't find the artwork for you like windows media player.

Neteru
04-12-08, 11:32
Multiple posts deleted.

If I see anyone who spammed this thread spamming anywhere else on forum, they will be taking a break, without warning, and at least at the same length of their previous account suspension.

Tomb of Legends
04-12-08, 11:36
Does Itunes allow Limewire downloaded music and the ability to rip cds and put them on your 'Pod?

What about ripping a dvd and changing it to (Avi is it?) a suitable format then putting it on your ipod?

Lew
04-12-08, 11:45
Does Itunes allow Limewire downloaded music and the ability to rip cds and put them on your 'Pod?

What about ripping a dvd and changing it to (Avi is it?) a suitable format then putting it on your ipod?

Limewire is illegal :P And yeah there should be no difference as long as there MP3's.

Cochrane
04-12-08, 12:01

iTunes allows any MP3s (but if you download them via Limewire, make sure that you are allowed to do so. In the majority of cases, it turns out this is illegal). Ripping CDs is easily possible with iTunes, ripping DVDs, however, not.

Angelus
04-12-08, 12:22
I've just ripped a CD to iTunes and it's 128kbps... is this right? I would've thought it's be 320kbps. I don't understand all of this. :p

Encore
04-12-08, 12:32
I still use a really old WinAMP version: 2.91. When I tried WinAMP 3 it was so slow and such a resource hog that I never bothered to try another version anymore, 2.91 serves me well except when it comes to some newer streams.

LOL yeah I remember that!! The Winamp 3 experience was traumatizing. :o But rest assured that was a problem solved looooong ago... Winamp 5 (current) is only heavier if you put resource consuming skins on it (ie, most of the "modern" skins); with the basic skin (or any classic skin) it's very light. :)
But on the other hand, if you don't wanna use skins at all and only use Winamp for the basic functions, might as well stick to the old version... :)

I've just ripped a CD to iTunes and it's 128kbps... is this right? I would've thought it's be 320kbps. I don't understand all of this. :p

I think you have to select the bitrate yourself, it's somewhere in the Preferences in a tab called "Importing"...

Limewire is illegal :P And yeah there should be no difference as long as there MP3's.

I don't think Limewire is any less legal than all the other P2P, torrent, etc., software there is out there... :p It's the stuff you might download there that can get you in trouble, not the program itself...

Angelus
04-12-08, 12:42
Ah, done it. Thanks Encore... I'll rip it again later. :tmb:

Angelx14
04-12-08, 13:05
I have a question.. why on earth is it pink?

Nefertiti_89
04-12-08, 13:55
My recommendation for installing iTunes on Windows: Don't. Maybe it's a secret plot by Apple to sell more Macs, but iTunes for Windows always feels much more sluggy than the Mac version (which I love, by the way).

By the way, this has to be one of the most entertaining threads here recently. :D I just wonder why no mod closed it yet.

Agreed! I could never sucessfully burn CDs with iTunes on my PC ....so I bought a Mac and now its perfect :D not to mention no viruses/spyware :tmb:

Punaxe
04-12-08, 17:32
LOL yeah I remember that!! The Winamp 3 experience was traumatizing. :o But rest assured that was a problem solved looooong ago... Winamp 5 (current) is only heavier if you put resource consuming skins on it (ie, most of the "modern" skins); with the basic skin (or any classic skin) it's very light. :)
But on the other hand, if you don't wanna use skins at all and only use Winamp for the basic functions, might as well stick to the old version... :)
(...)

Ah, thanks for the update! I guess I'll try WA5 then, because I just found out (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=141092&page=4) the old one has some security issues.

Urgh, now I have to retag my entire library... Becayse WA2 couldn't display the album title and song number in the playlist, I added that information to artist name and song title :vlol:
That has some other downsides as well... For example, I am the top listener of pretty much every song I have on Last.fm :p

irjudd
04-12-08, 22:38
I like winamp except that it has ties with AOL. And because of that, I can't bring myself to use it.

Punaxe
04-12-08, 22:43
I like winamp except that it has ties with AOL. And because of that, I can't bring myself to use it.

Heh yeah, just what happened when AOL bought Nullsoft (that being WA3) scarred me for the rest of my life :D However, how do the ties manifest themselves now then, that it's so bad?
(Didn't get 5 yet, so there is still time to be convinced :p)

Natey168
04-12-08, 22:45
I downloaded foobar2000 yesterday, and so far I'm really liking it. :D Simple (if you don't wanna do all the massive customization), yet effective.

irjudd
04-12-08, 22:48
Heh yeah, just what happened when AOL bought Nullsoft (that being WA3) scarred me for the rest of my life :D However, how do the ties manifest themselves now then, that it's so bad?
(Didn't get 5 yet, so there is still time to be convinced :p)
I can't say, since I avoid anything with an AOL logo on it like the plague. :ton: Not worth the heartbreak to find out how AOL will pwn my computer later for using Winamp for a few days. :cln:

Andariel
04-12-08, 23:09
If you're a foobar2000 user you can get skins on deviantart and other custom sites.

Tomb of Legends
05-12-08, 02:31

What difference does it make? Does the music sound cleaner or something?

So...how do you get movies on your ipod..from a dvd converter program, yes I know, all Im saying is illegal but who cares..Im 1 of like 1,000,000 other people doing it :p

So it will allow songs from Limewire?

Tombcool
05-12-08, 02:43
I use the iPod plugin for Winamp for all my music player's needs. :D

tombraiderxii
05-12-08, 03:22
I happily deleted every single track I ever bought from iTunes and repurchased again from 7digital. Now I have beautiful 320 kbps music with no DRM, which means I can play it on whatever device I choose.

Yeah, one of my friends were calling for help on making a movie. she was using the crap that was Windows Movie Maker (still good though), and she wanted to put the music she bought from iTunes into her movie, but it wouldn't work because it wasn't in the right format for WMM, so she had to convert, BUT NO! It said that the material was protected and couldn't be converted! With that, i assume that the iTunes music can only be played through PC, Macs, and iProducts. I have a Sansa, so Oh well... Man, i would hate having to pay MORE money to get the songs i want on my mp3 player.

irjudd
05-12-08, 03:44
I love amazon MP3. 320kbps, no DRM and most new albums are under $10.

Tomb of Legends
05-12-08, 03:48
What difference does the kbs make? Does the music sound cleaner or something?

So...how do you get movies on your ipod..from a dvd converter program, yes I know, all Im saying is illegal but who cares..Im 1 of like 1,000,000 other people doing it :p

So it will allow songs from Limewire?

irjudd
05-12-08, 03:53
A higher bitrate means it has undergone less compression, which in turn means it has lost less of its original quality, which in turn means a higher quality sound. Low kbps will end up sounding like its playing through a tin can.

And a million people doing something illegal doesn't make it legal.

Tomb of Legends
05-12-08, 03:56
Thats true :p

Encore
05-12-08, 11:21
I can't say, since I avoid anything with an AOL logo on it like the plague. :ton: Not worth the heartbreak to find out how AOL will pwn my computer later for using Winamp for a few days. :cln:

:confused: I've been using it for years and I have no idea what you're talking about... :o

Punaxe
05-12-08, 12:53
A higher bitrate means it has undergone less compression, which in turn means it has lost less of its original quality, which in turn means a higher quality sound. Low kbps will end up sounding like its playing through a tin can.

And a million people doing something illegal doesn't make it legal.

But it is a clear sign that times are a-changin' and perhaps the companies ought to keep up...

Titanium
05-12-08, 12:58
Out of interest, is the sound quality from 128kbps - 192kbps to 320kbps that noticable?

Punaxe
05-12-08, 13:00
Out of interest, is the sound quality from 128kbps - 192kbps to 320kbps that noticable?

I think a big role is played by your hardware. I personally probably wouldn't notice the difference because my sound card is crap. If you have some high-end setup though, yes, you will (or at least can) notice.

Encore
05-12-08, 13:07
Hmm I always go for 192 kbps, because to be honest it's the best quality I can spot, I don't see the diference between it and 320 yet the latter takes up so much space... But like Punaxe says, that's probably 'cause of my ****ty sound card. :D

Cochrane
05-12-08, 21:15

That depends on a lot of factors, including yourself, your hardware, the software you use for the encoding and so on. The only real answer to that is for you to convert a sample of songs that you like (the more varied, the better) with different versions, then listen for yourself. If you want to be truly scientific, set your player to random, don't look, and try to guess what version you are hearing. If you get it right significantly more than 50% of the time, then it's probably worth it, otherwise not.

Lara Lover
05-12-08, 22:31

2. Do NOT reboot.
5. Uninstall Bonjour.
8. Disable iPod service.

Reboot.

Finally, while I love the iTunes app, I flat out refuse to support Apple and it's draconian method of distributing media. Why pay more in iTunes when you can purchase twice the quality with NO DRM from www.7digital.com (http://www.7digital.com) ?

Excellent, can't wait to re-install it on my new laptop at Christmas. :D