PDA

View Full Version : Square-enix after Eidos too!?

MMAN
04-12-08, 14:23
Yes, EA, Ubisoft and Warner were interested in Eidos, and now Squeenix apparently are too, which I think is getting into "I am not making this up" territory: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32578/Square-makes-late-Eidos-bid-but-Warner-in-pole-position

This is getting interesting...

Rivendell
04-12-08, 14:27
Holy hell. :eek: :D

If that happens, *if* it happens, then hopefully a few years down the line we'll have a massive and truly graphically drool-worthy game.

tranniversary119
04-12-08, 14:28
I doubt it.

Alex Fly
04-12-08, 14:31
Square-Enix now ? I don't see this happen but anyway, thanks for posting...

Portugalraider
04-12-08, 14:37
Tomb Raider RPG anyone??? (please don't agree with this)

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 14:38
I'm rooting for Squeenix. They could truly come up with something more EPIC than what we've ever seen before with a game like TR. :tmb:

(and saying something like "omg no i dunt want a tr rpg lol" is SUCH a cliche!)

MiCkiZ88
04-12-08, 14:42
Huh.. that'd be interesting. The game would definitely be different in story telling, sound and graphical quality. :)

And at least they would take their time making something good.

Ikas90
04-12-08, 14:43
OMG I DON'T WANNA TR RPG! :(

lol

srsly

It just doesn't fit.

ajrich17901
04-12-08, 14:43
No thanks let them stick to FF like they usualy do

Megalith
04-12-08, 14:54
Holy Crap!!!:eek::eek:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21356

But as much as i love SE i'm not really sure about this...i'm excited and unsure at the same time.:/

NatlaCrazyness
04-12-08, 14:57
Square-Enix! :hug:
But I prefer the old name, Squaresoft....

Get ready for...
Final Fantasy: Lara Croft - Tomb Raider!
or...
Kingdom Hearts: Lara Croft Tomb Raider

This time, PlayStation exclusive!

da tomb raider!
04-12-08, 15:01
Even I don't want Eidos to be taken over by Square Enix...

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 15:07
No thanks let them stick to FF like they usualy do

Even I don't want Eidos to be taken over by Square Enix...

I actually find my self agreeing with these two for once.

Keep them faaaaaar away from TR & LARA!

:)

Agent 47
04-12-08, 15:17
people need to stop jumping to conclusions and assume Square = TR rpg

it's pathetic given there's no proof that would happen, same applies to the EA expansion jibes :(

Ubi would gladly sell out a fanbase (splinter cell 360 exclusive)
EA would gladly palm ports on gamers
Warner (unknown)
Square would gladly delay a game until the 360 version is done (FF13)

Square get my vote as Sony could be base platform :D

Night Crawler
04-12-08, 15:19
Have they ever made an Action Adventure / Platforming game?

Forwen
04-12-08, 15:21
Hey, Silent Hill went from Japanese to Westerners and got screwed, maybe if Westerners hand over Tomb Raider to the Japanese it will actually get fixed.

Agent 47
04-12-08, 15:23

i honestly don't know, i'm sure they could though

@Forwen, or given back to a UK dev who understands TR :vlol:

MMAN
04-12-08, 15:28
I'm not sure who I want to win; all the companies involved (beyond Warner, who I don't know about as far as games go) have been improving lately after some low points (beyond Squeenix which I think is pretty consistent), so they are all in a position to do better with the franchises than Eidos.

Megalith
04-12-08, 15:30

They've made action RPGs but i don't know about action/adventure...But as Agent said i'm sure they can do it.
Also out of all the contesters my vote goes to Square.:)

RAID
04-12-08, 15:30
The game would be like:

You control Lara in the world map, the screen explodes monsters appear, Lara, Amanda, and Zip make some "Ready for battle" move, the ATB gauges appear, and you choose the command.

Lara switches from her guns to Excalibur or Thor's Hammer, and once her Special Gauge is full, she can perform her Limit Break.

Amanda performs a dance to make a nice scene while summoning the Entity.

You can switch members during battle. Player switches Zip with Winston, and here he comes with insanely hot Tea. He can perform healing and protection with his tea tray. Alister can call his dead friends from Avalon.

Some stupid dance after victory, you gain EXP, and once you reach 1,000,000 EXP, your character levels up, and another 1,500,000 are required to reach the next level. Talk about a complete "I feel stronger now" system.

Moving on...

The game resumes, you enter a cave, some long and pointless (ala FFX) cutscene, Amanda, Zip, Winston and Alister get inside Lara's body, and then you get to play again. Once you reach the opposite side of the screen, another cutscene is triggered.

You forgot something important, so back to the world map, a bunch of annoying monsters trigger some swearing, go to town to buy potions, more powerful and insanely designed pistols, etc...before the EPIC fight.

Return to world map, more monsters, reach the cave, do some stupid/pointless side quest, and get back to the game...

No thanks, I choose "fun".

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 15:33
The game would be like:

You control Lara in the world map, the screen explodes monsters appear, Lara, Amanda, and Zip make some "Ready for battle" move, the ATB gauges appear, and you choose the command.

Lara switches from her guns to Excalibur or Thor's Hammer, and once her Special Gauge is full, she can perform her Limit Break.

Amanda can perform a dance to make a nice scenes with summoning the Entity.

You can switch members during battle. Player switches Zip with Winston, and here he comes with insanely hot Tea. He can perform healing and protection with his tea tray. Alister can call his dead friends from Avalon.

Some stupid dance after victory, you gain EXP, and once you reach 1,000,000 EXP, your character levels up, and another 1,500,000 are required to reach the next level. Talk about a complete "I feel stronger now" system.

Moving on...

The game resumes, you enter a cave, some long and pointless (ala FFX) cutscene, Amanda, Zip, Winston and Alister get inside Lara's body, and then you get to play again. Once you reach the opposite side of the screen, another cutscene is triggered.

You forgot something important, so back to the world map, a bunch of annoying monsters trigger some swearing, go to town to buy potions, more powerful and insanely designed pistols, etc...before the EPIC fight.

Return to world map, more monsters, reach the cave, do some stupid/pointless side quest, and get back to the game...

:vlol: This post pretty much explains how I feel:tmb:

Feather Duster
04-12-08, 15:33
:vlol:

Ubisoft

Agent 47
04-12-08, 15:36
The game would be like:

Amanda can perform a dance to make a nice scenes with summoning the Entity.

Moving on...

well, this post certainly prooves how narrow minded some folks are

that being said it is rather funny :tmb:

RAID
04-12-08, 15:40
well, this post certainly prooves how narrow minded some folks are

It was suppose to be a joke...

But now that you mention it...Have you ever known Square-Enix to make action adventure games that do not involve Magic, level up, cutscenes, and the rest?

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 15:44

But now that you mention it...Have you ever known Square-Enix to make action adventure games that do not involve Magic, level up, cutscenes, and the rest?

Only one I can think of is the Bouncer, but that game was wretched. :)

RAID
04-12-08, 15:46
Only one I can think of is the Bouncer, but that game was wretched. :)
Never played it. The closest thing that came to my mind was Kingdom Hearts...That's not a good thing in my book.

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 15:48
Never played it. The closest thing that came to my mind was Kingdom Hearts...That's not a good thing in my book.

Don't play it, biggest waste of 4 bucks ever:p

And I just went through a list of Square Enix games and nothing in the list looks like they would so anything great to TR, closing thing was Dirge of Cerberus: FFVII. :pi:

Poke Warrior
04-12-08, 15:49
Does this mean if for e.g. SE won, There wouldnt be a Eidos anymore or Tomb Raider? :(

Megalith
04-12-08, 15:50

There's always a first time you know...
Capcom also didn't have much experience (if any) in third person shooters but they did a great job with RE4.

Agent 47
04-12-08, 15:53
remember whoever buys Eidos will probably get the studios too, so i don't see why people are making knee jerk comments :D

as long they don't dick around with Hitman i'm happy :jmp:

@ poke warrior. TR would exist but Eidos would be renamed and integrated into whoever is winning bidder

tampi
04-12-08, 15:53
Will the forum have a Japanese section now??? :confused:

:o

anything less RPG please :(

Agent 47
04-12-08, 16:02
has anybody thought what would happen to this forum given the Tombraiderchronicles & Eidos unique relationship regarding "goodness"

would the buyer still acknowledge the importance of this site/fanbase?

admin, comments? :D

Poke Warrior
04-12-08, 16:14
Does this mean if for e.g. SE won, There wouldnt be a Eidos anymore or Tomb Raider? :(

Anyone?

Jack Croft
04-12-08, 16:14
If Square Enix buys Eidos OMG amazing!

MMAN
04-12-08, 16:16
Anyone?

The franchises are probably the exact reason they are doing this (in Squeenix's case they apparently want to expand to western franchises).

Lenochka
04-12-08, 16:16
Omfg no!
There going to give Lara big anime eyes, throw Kingdom Hearts people in and each game will have 18 hours of cutscenes alone >.<

Lara's home
04-12-08, 16:17
Hope not.. :(

Agent 47
04-12-08, 16:17
Anyone?

TR would exist but Eidos would be renamed and integrated into the winning bidder

Megalith
04-12-08, 16:19
Anyone?

I don't know about Eidos future but i'm sure Tomb Raider games will continue to be made for a long time.:)

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 16:25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Star_Pro-Wrestling_III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullmetal_Alchemist_2:_Curse_of_the_Crimson_Elixir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musashi:_Samurai_Legend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_Thunder_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActRaiser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einh%C3%A4nder

Examples of non-menu surfing Squeenix games. Can you please stop moaning about TR RPGs now? :)

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 16:26
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Star_Pro-Wrestling_III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullmetal_Alchemist_2:_Curse_of_the_Crimson_Elixir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musashi:_Samurai_Legend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_Thunder_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActRaiser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einh%C3%A4nder

Examples of non-menu surfing Squeenix games. Can you please stop moaning about TR RPGs now? :)

Most of those game still have RPG elements implamented. :)

So I wouldn't expect SE to not put RPG elements in TR. :wve:

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 16:29
Most of those game still have RPG elements implamented. :)

So I wouldn't expect SE to not put RPG elements in TR. :wve:

Yeah, RPG elements! They're not turn-based/ATB-based/etc. pure RPGs! I actually wouldn't mind taking a slight RPG approach to TR, y'know, like with AoD! ;)

Lara's home
04-12-08, 16:31
Yeah, RPG elements! They're not turn-based/ATB-based/etc. pure RPGs! I actually wouldn't mind taking a slight RPG approach to TR, y'know, like with AoD! ;)

Yeahm AoD was jsut fantastic... :p
I get what you mean though, but I am not keen on it. I don't need to be able to chose for Lara what to say, and I certainly do not need to make her stronger. :/

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 16:32

And look how bad that failed:vlol:

:p

Sorry, I really hope it goes to Warner, my second choice Ubisoft, frankly I would be happier if Rockstar got it. :wve:

I don't need to be able to chose for Lara what to say, and I certainly do not need to make her stronger. :/

Well said:tmb:

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 16:34
Yeah, AoD isn't the best example but c'mon, you CAN'T be sure they'd make TR into an FF clone. Maybe they'd take an approach similar to Okami.

And Rockstar? ZOMG I dun't want a sandbox violent TR! :p

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 16:35
Yeah, AoD isn't the best example but c'mon, you CAN'T be sure they'd make TR into an FF clone. Maybe they'd take an approach similar to Okami.

I wouldn't mind an open world sandbox TR tbh, I would like it more than a Anime styled level up game.:p

Disclaimer: I like RPG's and SE, but no I don't want TR touched by them.

SpencerYarman
04-12-08, 16:38
IF this takeover were to occur, it would not mean that the studios would be resolved. It would more likely mean that there would be a greater interaction between studios. Square-Enix tried and true high caliber studios mixed with CD's amazing development and research would be a winning combo!

TR wouldn't melt into an RPG, it would probably just be made on a different engine, and some of the design decisions MIGHT be influenced. CD isnt doing a bad job, they always get steady reviews, sell their games well, and have great feedback. Square-Enix also has a great track record behind it...I wouldnt care if Eidos is bought out. They would get money, studios would get a greater collection of resources, and hell....boil it down we'd probably get a kick-ass TR in the future.

Positive thoughts people! :)

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 16:40
I wouldn't mind an open world sandbox TR tbh, I would like it more than a Anime styled level up game.:p

Disclaimer: I like RPG's and SE, but no I don't want TR touched by them.

Squeenix are well known for taking their sweet time making their games and the end result is almost always a near-perfect masterpiece. You don't want TR to be handled by a company that not only listens to their fanbase (the 360 getting FFXIII, for example) but also puts equal emphasis on visuals and gameplay? A company like Squeenix know what they're doing and I'm sure they wouldn't turn TR into a flash-'em-up RPG like, say, FFX-2 (which, for the record, I like). ;)

Agent 47
04-12-08, 16:42

you're wasting your time

TR rpg comments have no basis in fact, given the buyer will keep Crystal Don TR duty :rolleyes:

Lara's home
04-12-08, 16:45

I agree that Square could make a really awesome Tomb raider game. I just don't want to 'take' any chances on that. I don't like any of their games so far, and if Lara would look like they do in FF, or whatever.. :(
And think about the 'deep' stories it would have. :/

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 16:46
But hey, maybe Ubi-Soft would make TR into a stealth game or EA would make it an FPS! :D (both similar stereotyping)

Lara's home
04-12-08, 16:47
But hey, maybe Ubi-Soft would make TR into a stealth game or EA would make it an FPS! :D (both similar stereotyping)

Tomb Raider with stealth implented would be awesome tbh :p

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 16:48
Tomb Raider with stealth implented would be awesome tbh :p

http://i36.************/4r5lwm.jpg

Lara's home
04-12-08, 16:50
Touchè :p

Agent 47
04-12-08, 16:50
I agree that Square could make a really awesome Tomb raider game. I just don't want to 'take' any chances on that. I don't like any of their games so far, and if Lara would look like they do in FF, or whatever.. :(
And think about the 'deep' stories it would have. :/

:hea: has no basis in fact, the buyer of Eidos will in all probability keep Crystal D making TR

Legend of Lara, kudos for having common sense, there's hope for the human species yet :jmp:

Lara's home
04-12-08, 16:52
:hea: has no basis in fact, the buyer of Eidos will in all probability keep Crystal D making TR

Legend of Lara, kudos for having common sense, there's hope for the human species yet :jmp:
I said I knew they could make awesome TR games, but I would prefer them not to have it, as I'm afraid for them doing what I posted.

Agent 47
04-12-08, 16:58
I said I knew they could make awesome TR games, but I would prefer them not to have it, as I'm afraid for them doing what I posted.

i don't see why you fear it though. i'm not a fan of rpg's but i do acknowledge the work Square do and the effort they put into their products.

i'm sure they'd remain true to TR. i welcome the possibilities they offer. the other bidders don't fill me with confidence regarding PS3, but Square do :D

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 17:00
i don't see why you fear it though. i'm not a fan of rpg's but i do acknowledge the work Square do and the effort they put into their products.

i'm sure they'd remain true to TR. i welcome the possibilities they offer. the other bidders don't fill me with confidence regarding PS3, but Square do :D

So once again it's turned into a Sony vs MS thing? I don't see why it's a big deal that TR is going Xbox, and still being on Sony's console. Frankly I don't trust SE with TR, I have not seen one game they have made that doesn't have RPG elements. While I do like SE's effort and games. Them touching TR would be poison.

Mad Tony
04-12-08, 17:03
I don't think Square Enix would make good Tomb Raider games at all. Actually, and you'll probably only ever hear me say this once, I think they'd be even worse than CD. I have nothing against Square Enix and I don't doubt them but I think they are best suited to making RPGs. Square Enix would probably "Japanize" the Tomb Raider series, just like CD supposedly "Americanized" it. I can gurantee a Japanese-style Tomb Raider game would be even further from the lack of British feel many fans are always complaing about.

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 17:04
I don't think Square Enix would make good Tomb Raider games at all. Actually, and you'll probably only ever hear me say this once, I think they'd be even worse than CD. I have nothing against Square Enix and I don't doubt them but I think they are best suited to making RPGs. Square Enix would probably "Japanize" the Tomb Raider series, just like CD supposedly "Americanized" it. I can gurantee a Japanese-style Tomb Raider game would be even further from the lack of British feel many fans are always complaing about.

You mean like this?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/BlooKuKazoo/screen009_nm-2-2.jpg
jk:p

I agree with your post fully. :tmb:

Except for the CD part, they rule:p

Lenochka
04-12-08, 17:05
^:vlol:
Ya or something like this
http://i33.************/2qdppbp.jpg

Lara's home
04-12-08, 17:08

Agent 47
04-12-08, 17:09
So once again it's turned into a Sony vs MS thing? I don't see why it's a big deal that TR is going Xbox, and still being on Sony's console. Frankly I don't trust SE with TR, I have not seen one game they have made that doesn't have RPG elements. While I do like SE's effort and games. Them touching TR would be poison.

i as a gamer want what is best for my chosen console, i want TR to remain multipatform,but the risks with Ubi & EA outweigh Square

Ubi have given the Sony SC fanbase the finger and would gladly do the same with TR

EA specialise in quick ports

Square would treat both formats equally and release a high quality product IMO

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 17:09

Oh my I really hope TR never comes to that.

:vlol::vlol::vlol:

i as a gamer want what is best for my chosen console, i want TR to remain multipatform,but the risks with Ubi & EA outweigh Square

Ubi have given the Sony SC fanbase the finger and would gladly do the same with TR

EA specialise in quick ports

Square would treat both formats equally and release a high quality product IMO

You do realize that SC was originally an Xbox exclusive? :)

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 17:12

You've got it completely wrong.
With them being interested they must have at least played SOME TR games and thus have an idea how a TR game should be. Not EVERYTHING they make is a flashy bug-eyed RPG, you know. Do you want me to bring out the "Ubisoft = Splinter Cell = Stealth" comeback again? ;)

Endow
04-12-08, 17:12
Square Enix haven't made a good game since Chrono Trigger, imo. But that's not the reason why they would be suitable publishers for TR. They are too japan(sensibilities)-oriented to know what's right for a western franchise.

Mad Tony
04-12-08, 17:15
You've got it completely wrong.
With them being interested they must have at least played SOME TR games and thus have an idea how a TR game should be. Not EVERYTHING they make is a flashy bug-eyed RPG, you know. Do you want me to bring out the "Ubisoft = Splinter Cell = Stealth" comeback again? ;)I never said it'd be an RPG, I just said they're best suited for RPGs. I just don't think they'd make very good Tomb Raider games due to how different Tomb Raider is to the type of games they make. It works both ways though. I don't think a western company would do very well at making say, Final Fantasy games.

You can use that comeback if you like. Doesn't bother me lol.

Megalith
04-12-08, 17:16

I understand your fears but you have to realize that buying Eidos doesn't automatically mean that they'll give its games to their in house developers.
On the contrary SE lately is determined to reach the western audiences and they are willing to invest heavily to western developers.That's why they bought Unreal Engine for Last Remnant and that's why they opened recently a development studio in Los Angeles.
I'm pretty sure the last thing SE wants is to "Japanize" the franchise.The only thing i'm sure is that if SE acquires Eidos the quality standards for TR will raise dramatically.

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 17:17
I never said it'd be an RPG, I just said they're best suited for RPGs. I just don't think they'd make very good Tomb Raider games due to how different Tomb Raider is to the type of games they make.

You can use that comeback if you like. Doesn't bother me lol.

Fair enough, though I do think they'd handle it well. And Crystal would probably be at the helm, anyway.

And that was also directed at the others, who think Ubisoft is absolutely perfect for TR. ;)

I understand your fears but you have to realize that buying Eidos doesn't automatically mean that they'll give its games to their in house developers.
On the contrary SE lately is determined to reach the western audiences and they are willing to invest heavily to western developers.That's why they bought Unreal Engine for Last Remnant and that's why they opened recently a development studio in Los Angeles.
I'm pretty sure the last thing SE wants is to "Japanize" the franchise.The only thing i'm sure is that if SE acquires Eidos the quality standards for TR will raise dramatically.

^^This. :tmb:

Mad Tony
04-12-08, 17:18
Oh Ubisoft wouldn't be perfect. However, they'd be better than what we've got now though I'm sure.

Punaxe
04-12-08, 17:18
Whatever any of them may make of TR in the end, more interested parties is always good news for Eidos I guess. :tmb:

Carbonek_0051
04-12-08, 17:19
Fair enough, though I do think they'd handle it well. And Crystal would probably be at the helm, anyway.

And that was also directed at the others, who think Ubisoft is absolutely perfect for TR. ;)

Ubi makes Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, & Beyond Good & Evil. I'm pretty sure they would do a better job at TR then SE ever would. ;)

So the SC stealth thing doesn't apply because Ubi has a very wide range of games, more so than SE. :)

Seb_01225
04-12-08, 17:19
i think they would be good for TR.

first it would be a very long tomb raider with good plot and excellent grapics.
secondly i'm sure square are up to it i mean they can't just be good for RPG's can they?

Agent 47
04-12-08, 17:21

someone else who gets it

well said :D

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 17:23
Ubi makes Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, & Beyond Good & Evil. I'm pretty sure they would do a better job at TR then SE ever would. ;)

So the SC stealth thing doesn't apply because Ubi has a very wide range of games, more so than SE. :)

http://i36.************/im2l8p.jpg

Congratulations! You've just epicly contradicted yourself!

SE does NOT only make RPG or RPG style games! They've made beat-'em-ups, racers, action games etc. etc. the works.

i think they would be good for TR.

first it would be a very long tomb raider with good plot and excellent grapics.
secondly i'm sure square are up to it i mean they can't just be good for RPG's can they?

Pretty much. They put time, effort and money into ensuring their games are as good as possible. Not exclusive DLC. :p

Agent 47
04-12-08, 17:27

that alone is reason why Ubi shouldn't get it, damn PoP clone with AC thrown in! no thanks

those games also tell me Ubi doesn't need TR

anime face palm :vlol:

Megalith
04-12-08, 17:46
This comment on GAF cracked me up:

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto:
The Last Remnant reviews must have convinced Square they need a company with knowledge of handling reviewers.

Quasimodo
04-12-08, 18:15
If Squeenix buys Eidos, do you imagine they'll keep Crystal Dynamics around to develop TR?

has anybody thought what would happen to this forum given the Tombraiderchronicles & Eidos unique relationship regarding "goodness"

would the buyer still acknowledge the importance of this site/fanbase?

admin, comments? :D

Hmmm...goodness, or a possibly more technologically and graphically superior game? Hmmm...

KC Mraz
04-12-08, 18:24
Where's Warner when you nedd them? :3

The franchise would stay being developed by Crystal Dynamics, they are actually the best option IMO. it'd be like actuall Eidos but with more budget and Warner as a distribuitor on the US/Canada/Mexico.

^:vlol:
Ya or something like this
http://i33.************/2qdppbp.jpg

O.O

冒険者を今 までベ スト best lara し EVER!! ます!。

yeah, i don't think that actually means something in japanese XD

Legend of Lara
04-12-08, 19:47
冒険者を今 までベ スト best lara し EVER!! ます!。

yeah, i don't think that actually means something in japanese XD

Bae adventure ever to strike the best lara EVER!! MASU!.

According to Google, anyway. :p

Candee Sparks
04-12-08, 20:21
I honestly don't understand why people are under the impression that Tomb Raider would become some kind of RPG if Square-Enix got their hands on Eidos. It may be their specialty but it doesn't mean that it's going to turn into a Final Fantasy, that's pitiful and foolish that people would think that.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me about who owns the rights, so long as Tomb Raider still exists. I already lost interest about the direction that Underworld went and I still got all my old titles that I love, but I wouldn't mind seeing what else people can come up with for Lara.

Punaxe
04-12-08, 20:25
(...) I wouldn't mind seeing what else people can come up with for Lara.

Maybe in another few years we can talk about different Tomb Raider eras as we talk today about different James Bond actors :p Variety can be good.

Candee Sparks
04-12-08, 20:31
Maybe in another few years we can talk about different Tomb Raider eras as we talk today about different James Bond actors :p Variety can be good.

My thoughts exactly. She can't stay the same girl forever. :tmb:

Megalith
04-12-08, 20:32

We can already talk about different Tomb Raider eras...;)

desklamp_
04-12-08, 20:47
I would LOVE if Squeenix bought Eidos, sure it might be a litte more like FF or Kingdom Hearts. They're all great games, and Squeenix is a great company. :) <33

bivvy
04-12-08, 20:56
I would LOVE if Squeenix bought Eidos, sure it might be a litte more like FF or Kingdom Hearts. They're all great games, and Squeenix is a great company. :) <33

It won't be like KK or FF. What makes you think that if Enix owned the TR franchise it would turn to them? God, stereotypes are not peoples friend. :D

eatlimegreen
04-12-08, 21:39
You don't want TR to be handled by a company that not only listens to their fanbase (the 360 getting FFXIII, for example)
LOL That decision was all about money its kinda obvious when you see that the 360 version is only being released in NA and Europe where the 360 sold more than the PS3. Square is a great developer but I'm not sure its the best for Tomb Raider they might change it way too much. I'm still not sure if Eidos gets bought out the new owners will even care about Tomb Raider its just not as popular as its use to be. Also Square seems to be slipping in their game quality outside of the FF series.

trXD
04-12-08, 21:42
OMG!:yik:

I REALLY CANT BELIEVE THIS!!!

I actually thought about this for one second when hearing SCI might be bought. But then i brushed it off thinking that it was rediculouse and would no way no how ever happen.

Seb_01225
04-12-08, 21:47
Off topic: ^ your avatar looks exactly like me kitten :)

On topic: i really hope square get TR, i wanna see what they brought to the series they may even make the game we've all been waiting for.
Challenging, long, great graphics i could go on

trXD
04-12-08, 21:49
Im pretty sure every single game square makes is an RPG. But i really cant see them making tomb raider into an RPG

Off topic: ^ your avatar looks exactly like me kitten :)

:D

trlestew
04-12-08, 21:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb_FckOPiHg
a video i made a while ago..... MAY COME TRUE!!!! :yik:

ps. i hope not

eatlimegreen
04-12-08, 21:58
But i really cant see them making tomb raider into an RPG
Me neither I would rather Eidos stay where it is than have Lara go on a hunt with Sora and Goffey for the keyblade that opens the door to where Lara's mother went.

Camera Obscura
04-12-08, 22:06
I honestly don't understand why people are under the impression that Tomb Raider would become some kind of RPG if Square-Enix got their hands on Eidos. It may be their specialty but it doesn't mean that it's going to turn into a Final Fantasy, that's pitiful and foolish that people would think that.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me about who owns the rights, so long as Tomb Raider still exists. I already lost interest about the direction that Underworld went and I still got all my old titles that I love, but I wouldn't mind seeing what else people can come up with for Lara.

I agree. I never imagined to find such narrow minded ignorance.

Having played quite a few Square Enix games I think they would do a decent job with story telling and graphics. And it would certainly help them expand their library of games/genres if they manage to create a good Action/Adventure game. :)

trXD
04-12-08, 22:08
Its stupid to think tomb raider would become an RPG. But its fair to say there would be significant changes. The entire engine would be rebuilt. And TR would undergo a massive transformation like it did from core to CD, maybe even more so.

eatlimegreen
04-12-08, 22:15
Its stupid to think tomb raider would become an RPG. But its fair to say there would be significant changes. The entire engine would be rebuilt. And TR would undergo a massive transformation like it did from core to CD, maybe even more so.
But you have to admit that Square gets pretty shaky when it gets outside of RPG. I think that if Square makes a Tomb Raider it will either be very good or terrible.

trXD
04-12-08, 22:17
But you have to admit that Square gets pretty shaky when it gets outside of RPG. I think that if Square makes a Tomb Raider it will either be very good or terrible.

Your right... *looks at copy of final fantasy VII FPS*

Well i remember when we all thought they couldn't handle a movie after Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, and then advent children came along...

eatlimegreen
04-12-08, 22:54
Well i remember when we all thought they couldn't handle a movie after Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, and then advent children came along...
True. I still think that if Square gets Eidos they won't even continue Tomb Raider. Because they would have to put a lot of money into it. Like I said earlier the overall gaming population doesn't have the same appreciation for Tomb Raider like it used to. So they would probably be afraid it wouldn't sell well if they made it.

2kool4u
05-12-08, 00:10
Oh my god if Sora and Goffey go Tomb Raiding with Lara Croft i dunno what to do. XDD But......wouldnt this bring more fans?

Lenochka
05-12-08, 00:14
Oh my god if Sora and Goffey go Tomb Raiding with Lara Croft i dunno what to do. XDD But......wouldnt this bring more fans?

Ya, most likely the type that are similar to the Anime creepers that were in my High School, the ones who would be obsessed with anything Japanese or anything that had SE's name on it.

Melonie Tomb Raider
05-12-08, 00:17
Oh dear Lord. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I love squenix, but no... just no. They'd probably make Lara anime looking, and again, I love anime, but not for Lara.

larafan25
05-12-08, 00:20
This could be a good thing.....square enix got the GRAPHICS down pat,they know how to make a long and difficult game that I bought in 06 and still have not finished.

They would make tomb raider bright an colourful(lara)and they would add so much to it wityh out having to make it dark and super story twists.

we'll have to see hpw this turns out.

oh and for ignorant people who don't understand,Square Enix is not a machine that is only programmed to pump out RPG's...they are wayyyy capable of tons of games and could make a truly unique tomb raider;)

tampi
05-12-08, 00:44
:eek::tea:

What you prefer???

http://i37.************/167lc9z.jpg or http://i34.************/196ouc.jpg

Immortalis08
05-12-08, 00:49
^ I choose the Asian looking one.

On topic however, I would happy to see Square Enix purchase Eidos. However the only thing that worries me is whether or not they would make it PS3 exclusive.

Megalith
05-12-08, 01:03
However the only thing that worries me is whether or not they would make it PS3 exclusive.

Not a chance.

Camera Obscura
05-12-08, 01:17
^ I choose the Asian looking one.

On topic however, I would happy to see Square Enix purchase Eidoes. However the only thing that worries me is whether or not they would make it Current-Gen exclusive.

Fixed. :wve:

ben croft
05-12-08, 01:21
EA for the win!!

Tomb of Legends
05-12-08, 01:53
YES! They wouldnt turn TR into a RPG...but they would surely make a new TLR!! 50 hour TR anyone?!

Oh wait, they would only be the publisher :(

larafan25
05-12-08, 01:56
I would love a ps3 exclusive...I think all the xbox owners would too;)

PC would get it too:)

Immortalis08
05-12-08, 02:03
YES! They wouldnt turn TR into a RPG...but they would surely make a new TLR!! 50 hour TR anyone?!

Oh wait, they would only be the publisher :(

Yeah, but don't publishers allocate more money and resources? If executed correctly, more money and resources mean, better graphics, gameplay, storyline, and better development and innovative gameplay.And since Square Enix is pretty well off, they really won't have the need to launch unfinished titles each year. Think about it, an entirely new innovative Tomb Raider engine each game! :D

I would love a ps3 exclusive...I think all the xbox owners would too;)

No.

AmericanAssassin
05-12-08, 03:59
I like the idea of Ubisoft or Square-Enix getting the company, but not EA. EA makes dumb, rushed game... Year after year. Same. Same. Same. Plus, they're usally really childish. :(

Tomb of Legends
05-12-08, 04:22
Wait a min, didnt Warner Bros buy SCi? Why is it on my imported copy of TRU?

2kool4u
05-12-08, 04:36
Ya, most likely the type that are similar to the Anime creepers that were in my High School, the ones who would be obsessed with anything Japanese or anything that had SE's name on it.

:vlol: :vlol: I get what you mean.

Spong
05-12-08, 05:32
Square Enix interested in buying out Eidos? I never saw that coming.

Hell, why don't we all rally round and dig into our pockets? I'm sure we can collectively come up with $80 million.

Ward Dragon
05-12-08, 05:34

They bought a lot of stock in Eidos and I think they handled the publishing of Underworld in the US :)

Mad Tony
05-12-08, 07:00
I like the idea of Ubisoft or Square-Enix getting the company, but not EA. EA makes dumb, rushed game... Year after year. Same. Same. Same. Plus, they're usally really childish. :(I agree that games made by EA are often rushed and stale. However, they're hardly childish. If anything Square Enix are the ones who make childish games (not rushed though).

aussie500
07-12-08, 07:14

For the same reason Atari is on the Australian game, WB is the American distributor.

MyRaider4Life
07-12-08, 07:31
What I hate is that so many companies that are going to ruin the game are trying to buy it.
I guarantee that id they bought it and made Tomb Raider it would become a game like Final Fantasy

tombfan91
07-12-08, 07:46
i wouldn't really mind if they did. to be honest i don't really know in general if it would be like final fantasy and i think they know tomb raider is a different genre from that, although i think the plot will be a lot better for tomb raider if that were to happen. hmmm i like this idea, but that's likely to happen

ivannnnn
07-12-08, 07:51
Aw I love Japan and Western, so which one should I pick? :D:D

Dark Lugia 2
07-12-08, 09:47
Why do some people think "ubisoft would make it like assasins creed" or "square enix would make it a "japanese rpg" ?

When crystal took over TR did everyone think that tomb raider ould become an adventure game that uses magic and is heavily based on a combat system? (i think it is?) :p (LoK)

jumoeder
07-12-08, 10:09
Why do some people think "ubisoft would make it like assasins creed" or "square enix would make it a "japanese rpg" ?

well, square enix only makes rpg's (i think) and people are just hoping that if ubisoft takes over eidos, it has an open world and stuff.

Legend of Lara
07-12-08, 11:06
well, square enix only makes rpg's (i think) and people are just hoping that if ubisoft takes over eidos, it has an open world and stuff.

Square-Enix do NOT only make RPGs!

I think Squeenix, with all the time, effort and money they put into their games, could be responsible for something that really IS EPIC!

jumoeder
07-12-08, 11:37
Square-Enix do NOT only make RPGs!

I think Squeenix, with all the time, effort and money they put into their games, could be responsible for something that really IS EPIC!

ok, i wasn't sure. what other games do they make then?

Legend of Lara
07-12-08, 12:11
ok, i wasn't sure. what other games do they make then?

They've made action games, racers, beat-'em-ups and platformers as well.

underpushunter
07-12-08, 13:35
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:mad::cen:

illuminati30
07-12-08, 13:42
That could be good! :tmb:

SailorTaurus
07-12-08, 17:45
SquareEnix have made action games before, such as FF7:Dirge of Cerberus (a 3rd person shooter game spinoff centering on FF7 character Vincent Valentine). Unfortunately they don't seem to be as good with action games as they are RPGs (Dirge of Cerberus had invisable walls everywhere, very linear paths, and sometimes a quite dodgy camera). They are however the most visually impressive when it comes to their games.

Deamonella
07-12-08, 17:58
Then Lara will have great hair physics.:o

takamotosan
07-12-08, 19:04
i think Tomb Raider needs to stick to being made by american/european companies.

giving it to a japanese company would change its influences.

i want Lara to be Lara, not Lara-chan.

:wve:

amiro1989
07-12-08, 19:28
Then Lara will have great hair physics.:o

illuminati30
07-12-08, 19:32
i think Tomb Raider needs to stick to being made by american/european companies.

giving it to a japanese company would change its influences.

:wve:

That wouldn't happen i don't think. Even games like Final Fantasy have a western style and look. A lot of Japanese game producers make a lot of different style games. It would be great if Nintendo bought them, and made it an epic sized game like Legend of Zelda. They know the importance of a series sticking to it's roots without becoming to Americanized.

amiro1989
07-12-08, 19:34
At least, Square Enix knows what Art Direction is.... :whi:

dream raider
07-12-08, 19:38
At least, Square Enix knows what Art Direction is.... :whi:

I like the sound of that "Art Direction." :cln:

I think this could be for the better of tomb raider. I'm sure that with a rich company the next tomb raider could be built with new resources and new technology material to make it really phenomenal. The developers will still be Crystal Dynamics so I don't think tomb raider will be turned into an RPG..:confused:

takamotosan
07-12-08, 20:04
That wouldn't happen i don't think. Even games like Final Fantasy have a western style and look. A lot of Japanese game producers make a lot of different style games. It would be great if Nintendo bought them, and made it an epic sized game like Legend of Zelda. They know the importance of a series sticking to it's roots without becoming to Americanized.

i think that Eidos needs to stop putting the focus on the bottom line, and put it back on the game.

if they'd stuck to that in the first place, they wouldn't need to be bought out.

Legend of Lara
07-12-08, 20:09

That's "Lara-sama" to you! :p

But they wouldn't go and make it all
http://i35.************/x57ew5.jpg

That I'm sure of. Just because they're a Japanese company doesn't mean it'll be all anime-styled. Plus they should have SOME idea how a TR game would be, seeing as they're interested.

illuminati30
07-12-08, 20:11
i think that Eidos needs to stop putting the focus on the bottom line, and put it back on the game.

if they'd stuck to that in the first place, they wouldn't need to be bought out.

To be honest, i think Tomb Raider made them.