PDA

View Full Version : Earth-sheltered house for $5000

Geck-o-Lizard
04-12-08, 17:21
http://greenbuildingelements.com/2008/12/01/hand-build-an-earth-sheltered-house-for-5000/

How cool is that? It looks like a Hobbit-hole from LOTR. :D

Lew
04-12-08, 17:23
It's 2008, and some people are going back to centuries ago.... :whi:

Geck-o-Lizard
04-12-08, 17:27
...yes, because they had solar panels, computers and electric lights centuries ago. :p

Punaxe
04-12-08, 17:39
Totally awesome. I'll take two.

Lavinder
04-12-08, 18:15
I would so live there :D

Seb_01225
04-12-08, 18:18
aww :)

i want one :) teletubby house :D

Nikki Sou
04-12-08, 18:30
I hope Legolas is in there :p I might buy that house that way ;)

Quasimodo
04-12-08, 18:35
How cute! You could dress it up with flowers on the roof :p

Marianna12
04-12-08, 18:55
OMG! It's 2008 you know? I wouldn't buy this house...It sucks!

da tomb raider!
04-12-08, 18:58
Hey, I'd pay to live there.

interstellardave
04-12-08, 18:59
I don't know... it looks comfortable enough and not having a huge mortgage payment is very appealing...

Nausinous
04-12-08, 19:51

I certainly would want to go back Centuries, civilisation today is a poor state of affairs and I would love to live in a land where we hadn't poured cement every where.

TRhalloween
04-12-08, 19:53
I'm an ogrrrrre! ;)

Lavinder
04-12-08, 19:59
I certainly would want to go back Centuries, civilisation today is a poor state of affairs and I would love to live in a land where we hadn't poured cement every where.

Ditto, but I would miss technology. :o

tomblover
04-12-08, 20:00
Want! :D

As long as there's electricity and a computer, TV, and a phone. xD

Mad Tony
04-12-08, 20:23
I certainly would want to go back Centuries, civilisation today is a poor state of affairs and I would love to live in a land where we hadn't poured cement every where.Somehow I don't think you would. As much as you complain about how things are now, they were ten times as bad hundreds of years ago.

TRhalloween
04-12-08, 20:27
Somehow I don't think you would. As much as you complain about how things are now, they were ten times as bad hundreds of years ago.

Yeah, I don't think people think it through properly.
The laws were very different and we wouldn't have all the things we have now.
It's not as if we would have giant tree houses and monkey butlers living on a sunny island.:p

Mad Tony
04-12-08, 20:35
Heck, just a couple of hundred years ago the slave trade was still active, women had no rights (as well as many other groups) and there were hardly any democracies in the world. *sarcasm* Yeah, I'd love to go and live back then... *sarcasm*

TRhalloween
04-12-08, 20:54
Heck, just a couple of hundred years ago the slave trade was still active, women had no rights (as well as many other groups) and there were hardly any democracies in the world. *sarcasm* Yeah, I'd love to go and live back then... *sarcasm*

Yep, we have economic problems, the global warming threat etc. but we've came so far from issues we've had in the past

I sound so sarcastic. I wasn't being sarcastic though.

Ampersand
04-12-08, 21:42
Dammit, a real life hobbit-hole. Do want!

Lenochka
04-12-08, 21:45
Aw, it looks so peaceful :)
I don't know if I would live there though xD I'm not much of a nature person.

Neteru
04-12-08, 21:48
^Well you wouldn't have to wear a floaty dress and walk barefoot through the moss, picking flowers and humming a little tune to yourself, you know. ... Unless you wanted to.

MiCkiZ88
04-12-08, 21:50
^Well you wouldn't have to wear a floaty dress and walk barefoot through the moss, picking flowers and humming a little tune to yourself, you know. ... Unless you wanted to.
Damnit, I thought no one had seen me..

It looks nice and cozy IMO.

Draco
04-12-08, 22:08
You build your Shire, I'll build my Gondor.

Geck-o-Lizard
04-12-08, 22:13
Your budget to beat is $5000. Go. :cln:

Betal
04-12-08, 22:25
Wow I would love to live there. Looks so peacefully. :D

I hate how everything is now. Cement everywhere, cars everywhere and bad air. In big cities it's like impossible to breath. I'm happy I live in Sweden for that though. :p

Many of these problems exist in LOOOAADS countries. Not every country is as good as England you know.

Shrantellatessa
04-12-08, 22:32

Exactly my thoughts. Looks cool and warm though.

Feather Duster
05-12-08, 01:22
You can grow corn on your roof! :D

ben croft
05-12-08, 01:24
Not for me because I have bugs... but it's a cool house..

:D

oocladableeblah
05-12-08, 02:11
Haha that's awesome. Watch we start living in those and turn into hobbits :D

Ikas90
05-12-08, 02:47
As if you would need a proper house or a mansion, lol. This is good enough to support all your needs.

Benguitar
05-12-08, 03:57
Very cool! I have seen a hotel in New Zealand that is like this.

Although one thing I would worry about is Termites.

~Ben

Mad Tony
05-12-08, 07:02
Many of these problems exist in LOOOAADS countries. Not every country is as good as England you know.Oh they still exist, but these problems are only confined to certain parts of the world. Where as before they were pretty much everywhere. It's nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of hundred years ago.

Nausinous
05-12-08, 08:18
Somehow I don't think you would. As much as you complain about how things are now, they were ten times as bad hundreds of years ago.

Believe me, I would rather live with poor medical health and the monarchy for the chance of a bit of freedom.

Anyway, just because we have a 'good health system' and live in a 'democracy' doesn't mean things are better than they were a hundred years ago. Society was better, every one knew everyone and their was such a thing as shame, so you did not see chavs running around getting drunk or sleeping with every one else that wasn't related to them.

Society is a poor state of affairs. We are on a downwards spiral to de-evolution.

rowanlim
05-12-08, 08:23
Awesome...I'd love to buy a house like that! :tmb: :D

Mad Tony
05-12-08, 17:39
Believe me, I would rather live with poor medical health and the monarchy for the chance of a bit of freedom.

Anyway, just because we have a 'good health system' and live in a 'democracy' doesn't mean things are better than they were a hundred years ago. Society was better, every one knew everyone and their was such a thing as shame, so you did not see chavs running around getting drunk or sleeping with every one else that wasn't related to them.

Society is a poor state of affairs. We are on a downwards spiral to de-evolution.You in particular would've had less freedom a hundred years ago. You're a homosexual right? Back then your whole lifestyle would've been classed as illegal. It wasn't until 1967 when homosexual acts in private for consenting adults of over 21 years of age was decriminalized in the UK. But it wasn't just homosexuality laws that were bad back then, other things were bad too. For example, it was only a hundred years ago that jueveinlles under 16 could no longer be executed. Don't even get me started on women's rights. I'm no feminist, but even I can safely say that women's rights a hundred years ago were absolutely appalling.

Just take a look back into history and you'll see that a hundred years ago we had a lot less freedoms in the UK.

Do you honestly think that a hundred years ago there were no teenagers that engaged in anti-social behavior? Do you think it's some new thing for teenagers to behave badly?

Quasimodo
05-12-08, 17:41
Only on TRF could a person find something to argue about over Hobbit Huts :p

Mad Tony
05-12-08, 17:44
Only on TRF could a person find something to argue about over Hobbit Huts :pHey I'm not arguing. :p I'm Just trying to make Nausinous see that living in Britain today is nowhere near as bad as it would've been 100 years ago.

corey01
05-12-08, 17:44
I've seen this type of house but made more modern, and that was nice:)

Lew
05-12-08, 17:54
You in particular would've had less freedom a hundred years ago. You're a homosexual right? Back then your whole lifestyle would've been classed as illegal. It wasn't until 1967 when homosexual acts in private for consenting adults of over 21 years of age was decriminalized in the UK. But it wasn't just homosexuality laws that were bad back then, other things were bad too. For example, it was only a hundred years ago that jueveinlles under 16 could no longer be executed. Don't even get me started on women's rights. I'm no feminist, but even I can safely say that women's rights a hundred years ago were absolutely appalling.

Just take a look back into history and you'll see that a hundred years ago we had a lot less freedoms in the UK.

Do you honestly think that a hundred years ago there were no teenagers that engaged in anti-social behavior? Do you think it's some new thing for teenagers to behave badly?

Yeah and now were loosing that freedom for doing things that aren't illegal. Like they're wanting to raise the drinking age right? Well then we aren't doing anything wrong if your 18 and want to go out and get drunk, its legal but yet they're complaining that we shouldn't be allowed. The driving age is 17 and that annoys me due to being 16, the smoking age went up which also annoys me so who's to say they wont limit the other stuff? One day I bet they'll ban caffeine due to lots of people being "addicted" to coffee. It's ridiculous.

Nausinous
05-12-08, 17:54
You in particular would've had less freedom a hundred years ago. You're a homosexual right? Back then your whole lifestyle would've been classed as illegal. It wasn't until 1967 when homosexual acts in private for consenting adults of over 21 years of age was decriminalized in the UK. But it wasn't just homosexuality laws that were bad back then, other things were bad too. For example, it was only a hundred years ago that jueveinlles under 16 could no longer be executed. Don't even get me started on women's rights. I'm no feminist, but even I can safely say that women's rights a hundred years ago were absolutely appalling.

We're still screwed.

Mad Tony
05-12-08, 17:55
I wouldn't call that a major loss of freedom. They're just ways the government are trying to tackle problems like underage drinking and smoking. Personally I think the drinking and smoking ages should be 18 but I don't think they should be any higher.

@Nausinous: Explain.

Do you know admit that we had a lot less freedoms a hundred years ago?

Lew
05-12-08, 17:59
I wouldn't call that a major loss of freedom. They're just ways the government are trying to tackle problems like underage drinking and smoking. Personally I think the drinking and smoking ages should be 18 but I don't think they should be any higher.

@Nausinous: Explain.

Well there oblivious to the fact that it will still happen anyway even if the ages go up. I still see little 11 year old chavs come up to me asking me to buy them cigs (however I say no) but they still manage to get them and when police walk past they do nothing about it. I think it's to do with the fact that the smoking age is still 16 but buying them is 18. Much like the 5 year old rule being aloud to drink in the home under parent supervision, which has been axed anyway cause no one really knew this!

Geck-o-Lizard
05-12-08, 18:30
Do you know admit that we had a lot less freedoms a hundred years ago?

It's not as simple as that.

The quality of life for poor and middle-class people was undeniably much lower, but there was no intrusive surveillance or things like litter laws and age limits for vehicles or alcohol. 100 years ago, there were no laws to stop you taking any drug you wanted (and that was a big influence on some of the greatest art and literature of all time).

On the other hand there were more practical restrictions then than we have now. If you were born in the highlands of Scotland 300 years ago, you weren't likely ever to leave, but not because the law prohibited you from doing so.

Basically, you couldn't steal, murder, rape, pillage, curse the king/queen or defy the church. Beyond that, they didn't care what the plebs did.

Achilles_DS
05-12-08, 18:56
aww :)

i want one :) teletubby house :d

lmao!

FinalRequiem
05-12-08, 19:14
That is so AWESOME.
I would totally live in one.
Well maybe for a year, then i might have to find somewhere else. But i would keep the hobbit-hole for nice breaks away :D

jamieoliver22
05-12-08, 19:14
I want to be a hobbit! I want to be a hobbit! I want to be a hobbit! :D

*laralover*
05-12-08, 20:38
Haha thats awesome :D

Punaxe
05-12-08, 20:50
I don't think people longing to live centuries ago really wish to live exactly that lifestyle. Nobody can deny that the quality of life has improved, but that doesn't stop us from liking certain things that were positively different in the past. Mostly, it seems, the atmosphere - at least the atmosphere as it is recreated by Hollywood :p

Orionvalentine
05-12-08, 22:01
Ooh, that's pretty cool.

Imagine though, somebody letting their dog off the leash and watching it crap on your roof :vlol: