PDA

View Full Version : What is the max. difference in age for relationships?

cammy.
07-12-08, 09:12
So I was wondering what your opinions are about age difference in relationships...I'm almost 20 and have always liked/been attracted to older guys. My oldest was 29...I was 19. I know a lot of people think it's wrong but that's just me. And it wasn't even weird because he's one of those guys that don't seem their age. But now I like this guy who's 31...and I know it's not really the normal thing to have that much of a gap but I'm comletely comfortable with it.

Anyway I just wanted to know what everyone's opinion is. All comments welcome...

jamieoliver22
07-12-08, 09:15
Half your age plus seven :p

KurtisLonely
07-12-08, 09:18
IMO, about 10-20 years is really 'the max difference'.. but as long as you're happy, why not?

Another Lara
07-12-08, 09:23
I've always gone for older guys, my most recent one being 9 years older than me...

I think it's fine just as long as it's legal lol, then I don't think age should be an issue...

Lara's Backpack
07-12-08, 09:40
I have a thing for older guys too... I hit on a guy at a party who was 29. I'm 17. :cln:

And he used to be my French teacher!!

Voni
07-12-08, 09:40
As long as you're both legal it's not really an issue. Some young are a lot more mature than their age, and some older guys act younger than they are. It's all a matter of perspective.

Me, I'm dating a guy who's a whole 27 days my junior! :p

Lee croft
07-12-08, 09:41
I have a thing for older guys too... I hit on a guy at a party who was 29. I'm 17. :cln:

And he used to be my French teacher!!

lol

Lara's Backpack
07-12-08, 09:47
lol

My only regret is that I restrained myself from taking it any furthure :tea: I got his number but left it at 1 text message.

Im trying to behave myself :jmp:

Spong
07-12-08, 10:44
If you're an adult, age difference shouldn't even enter the equation.

Goose
07-12-08, 10:57
As long as your both adults its not a problem, although a 50 year old with a 16 year old is abit weird.

Paddy
07-12-08, 10:59
Ive been out with someone 12 years older then me, I was 20 at the time so it doesnt matter.
Long as the younger one is a legal adult then fair enough.

dizzydoil
07-12-08, 11:14
Aslong as you are both happy, and over 18/legal age - it can be any age difference :D.

Hazel
07-12-08, 11:34
Aslong as you are both happy, and over 18/legal age - it can be any age difference :D.

Exactly!:) Age has never bothered me because my granddad re-married a woman the same age as his daughter (my mum). He's 63 and she's 41 so theres a 22 year age gap. But they've been together for nearly 20 years on my birthday.

And one of my friends has recently started dating a 41 year old when she's only 18. Again, thea ge doesn't bother me massively because she's legally old enough and he is as nice and pie and was erm, still innocent.;)

Ikas90
07-12-08, 12:02
My grandparents have 12 years difference. That was back in the old days.

Some people even have 50 years difference. There have been documentaries on TV about them.

Hazel
07-12-08, 12:05
Some people even have 50 years difference. There have been documentaries on TV about them.

Yeah I've seen some of those....and people who are really tall dating really short people too:p

All kinds of people get together....age, height, weight, looks, race, creed, religion and whatever else, shouldn't even enter the equation if love is there:D

Changeling
07-12-08, 12:11
As long as you are both legal consenting adults, I don't think there's any problem at all. :D

*laralover*
07-12-08, 12:17
Alot of women like older guys i notice :p I like a guy the same age or only a few years older or younger. It doesnt matter what age anyone is though imo :D

Tomb Raider Master
07-12-08, 12:34
It depends on the couple. But in general, I'm against such things.

MiCkiZ88
07-12-08, 12:39
How do you guys think of an couple who are 16 and 20?

I think the age gap is fine if it's between 5 - 10 years when young. But when you're older (lets say over 20/25) it seems fine to go out with someone nearly half older.

Paddy
07-12-08, 12:42
How do you guys think of an couple who are 16 and 20?

I think the age gap is fine if it's between 5 - 10 years when young. But when you're older (lets say over 20/25) it seems fine to go out with someone nearly half older.

I cant say I agree necessarily because itd be double standards from my last post :p
Age gap isnt the problem. Really it isnt a problem but I cant really say that, itd be hypocritical for me to do so.

MiCkiZ88
07-12-08, 12:45
I cant say I agree necessarily because itd be double standards from my last post :p
Age gap isnt the problem. Really it isnt a problem but I cant really say that, itd be hypocritical for me to do so.
Heh, true. The age gap is nothing, but it's that one is adult and one is still an teenager. Isn't 16 the legal age for you know what though?

But what if the parents of the younger one are fine with it/approve?

Paddy
07-12-08, 12:46
Heh, true. The age gap is nothing, but it's that one is adult and one is still an teenager. Isn't 16 the legal age for you know what though?

Didnt think of that. Im thinking now if sex is allowed at 16 then relationships should be.
Good way of putting it.

Lara's Backpack
07-12-08, 13:06

But what if the parents of the younger one are fine with it/approve?
I think you can have sex at 16, but not with someone who's 18 or older until you're 18 or older :p

MiCkiZ88
07-12-08, 13:10
I think you can have sex at 16, but not with someone who's 18 or older until you're 18 or older :pOh well. :p Everyone knows anyways. And there are loads of couples where the younger one is between 16 - 18 and the other one is over 18

Cochrane
07-12-08, 13:32
The point at what age what is legal and with whom is implemented very differently across various countries, so the country in question would always matter as well, I'd say. Generally speaking, though, as long as both are capable of making their own decisions and are happy, I see no real problem.

Endow
07-12-08, 13:39
There is no max difference if it's between adults.

Of course I have yet to fall in love with a foxy 85 year old, but you never know :p

Sedge
07-12-08, 14:54
Age is but a number as far as I've observed, but it really depends.. In some cases I definitely can't help but question one's motives for getting involved with a considerably younger/older person though, mainly because I'd be worried about either of them. But I really don't know.. I mean if they really care about and respect each other, what's the problem?

I know a couple who are 29 and 65 years old, and they seem to get along just fine. The older one had been married to other women before and had some children as well who are now adults, but according to him the marriages never seemed to prosper for long and only now can he say he's found true happiness.. People constantly mistake them for father and daughter, though. :p

I also had a friend who met a 19-year-old boy through Internet at the age of 14 and started dating him later in real life, and I do remember being a bit suspicious about the whole thing.. It didn't really concern me, of course, but I did ask a lot of questions and ask her not to be naive if the guy ever started suggesting anything she wouldn't like etc.. Well, she managed to convince me there was nothing for me to worry about, and as it turns out they're still together and going strong after four years. We haven't kept in touch nowadays due to other reasons, but I'm happy for her nonetheless. :)

Tombreaper
07-12-08, 14:59
Depends on your age.

I think when people get older, the difference in age becomes less important.

CuteKittenlol
07-12-08, 15:01
Yeah, i think it depends on your age. Like, right now (I'm 15) i'd say the oldest being 4, maybe 5 years. Like my boyfriend now is 3 years older than me, but i'm good with that, him being older is a good thing actually :D

Lee croft
07-12-08, 15:18
whats it like being in a proper relationship?? :whi:

Tombreaper
07-12-08, 15:25
whats it like being in a proper relationship?? :whi:

Nobody really knows that :)

Tombcool
07-12-08, 15:39
I don't think it should matter once a person reaches puberty. :)

Ampersand
07-12-08, 16:00
As long as you don't die of old age too far apart, imo. D:

rowanlim
07-12-08, 16:19
I'd give max 4 yrs difference. Usually guys who are 5 yrs older (or more) don't really click with me :p

SamReeves
07-12-08, 16:51
Hugh Hefner is in his 80's, and the three blonde girlfriends are in their 20's. Men can pretty much date any age they want…if you're famous sugar daddy. :p

rowanlim
07-12-08, 16:54
Haha my physics teacher told me about the triangle theory:

For girls, the triangle is like a pyramid, the number of available men decreases as you go up (grow older)...For men, the triangle is inverted, the number of chicks increases as they grow older.

Lucky sods.

ivannnnn
07-12-08, 16:55
Min: 17 years old.
Max: Whatever. Coz you have your brain and mind. ;)

And it depends on the gender too. :wve:

cammy.
07-12-08, 23:45
It's actually surprised me how many people said it doesn't matter, as long as you're legal. Which I am so no problem there...but not only for me just in general I would have thought a lot more people would be against it. I wonder how many of the replies were female and how many were male though...Oh well. As I said before I'm completely comfortable with it so :p I know my friends would think it's a bit strange...and my parents if they found out...but that doesn't bother me :D

I think if I was a few years younger, like 15 or 16 it would be too much but I'll be 20 in a month so don't think it's as bad. And I've matured alot in the past year or 2 (not just my opinion, other people say so too). Personally I think if the 2 people get on really well and there's something there then it's all good.

Lemmie
07-12-08, 23:51
At the moment I'd only consider a maximum age difference of about seven to eight years, but when I'm older perhaps I'd consider a wider one. ;)

star-dust
08-12-08, 01:27
Age is just a number, as long as you're happy what does it matter?

My boyfriend is 15 years older than me. When I'm with him I don't think of his age, he's just Jason to me and he makes me happy.

Other people may think it's strange and that's the hard thing. I'm quitting my job at work because of it. That's where I met him and since I'm the younger one and only work part time it's easier for me to leave. Finding this thread has made me so much happier because there are people who accept it and don't assume anything about one of us just using each other or anything like that. We are happy and that's all that matters. :D:D

takamotosan
08-12-08, 01:39
age doesn't matter.
:)

i'm falling for a guy a little more that 6 years older than me.

Indiana Croft
08-12-08, 01:52
ten years