PDA

View Full Version : Can you cook?

ChingKong
11-12-08, 04:56
Title says it all.....

Im pretty good at makin breakfast :)...Really like makin eggs over easy...
What about you guys?

MattTR
11-12-08, 05:01
Can I cook? :p :p Frozen dinners! Hehe, just kidding.

I love making Pasta, chicken, basically anything. It's not so hard with a recipe book in hand, just got to watch the timer. :p :p

Frozen Pizzas FTW.

ChingKong
11-12-08, 05:04
lol dont forget about the instant soups! :p

MattTR
11-12-08, 05:07
lol dont forget about the instant soups! :p

Oh yeah, and going out to eat, that's the best. :p

oocladableeblah
11-12-08, 05:15
If it's microwavable I can cook it :p
I suck at eggs and if I had to yeah I could cook.

rowanlim
11-12-08, 05:19
I cook :) Chinese stuff :p

Stir fried vegetables, soups, some curries, porridge, fried rice, fried noodles, steamed/fried fish...stuff like that.

I can't bake, I can't use the microwave oven so the stove is my friend! :)

Sir Croft
11-12-08, 05:22
I can cook a lot of things (specially chicken, I love chicken!), and I do it quite well actually. I got it from both my mother and my father, they love to cook and they cook very, very well, of course I can't cook like them as I'm not that used to cooking, my mother does that she won't let anyone else cook for her, and I only cook when I'm home alone.

SamReeves
11-12-08, 06:20
If it comes out of the box, yes. :D

Quasimodo
11-12-08, 06:26
If it comes out of the box, yes. :D
Haha! Same here. Bacon and eggs I can manage, too. I've made a few ugly but delicious apple pies as well. Dump two cans of apples into a thawed pre-made crust, mix with cinnamon, add a few pats of butter on top, cut up the other pre-made crust to make a lattice top, follow the instructions on the back of the can of apples. Simple :p

EmeraldFields
11-12-08, 06:32
Yep, I'm good at cooking! I've taken classes on cooking and food design.

Dump two cans of apples into a thawed pre-made crust, mix with cinnamon, ad a few pats of butter on top, cut up the other pre-made crust to make a lattice top, follow the instructions on the back of the can of apples. Simple :p

When was the last time apples grew in cans! You got to peel them yourself.;):D

Shark_Blade
11-12-08, 07:00
My speciality is Spaghetti Bolognese. :p

MiCkiZ88
11-12-08, 07:05
Yep. Speciality being reindeer. :)

rowanlim
11-12-08, 07:07
My speciality is Spaghetti Bolognese. :p

How about rendang? :p I only buy the packet with the rempah in paste form & get the beef to make it :D

KurtisLonely
11-12-08, 07:14
microwave dinners :) naah =p I can cook pretty well I think =] I'm trying to cook everything once =p

Ikas90
11-12-08, 07:23
I can cook spaghetti, meat pies, pizzas and cheezburgerz.

Besides that, I've cooked Focaccia and Thai Curry, but I don't cook them today. I don't even remember how, lol.

Shark_Blade
11-12-08, 07:24
How about rendang? :p I only buy the packet with the rempah in paste form & get the beef to make it :DHmm, I never personally prepared rendang alone before. Might wanna try it out. I only help when the occasion arise. :p

To make a tender beef for rendang is sometimes hard to achieve. Some got it very 'liat' and 'susah nak telan' haha. Look at me and my rojak language. :D

sandygrimm
11-12-08, 07:31
I can cook, I've been cooking for 10 or more years :p
and I can cook a mean mushroom sauce with chicken breast and carrots..with a garnish of stuffed peppers:jmp:
I had the best training from an uncle who used to be a very well known chef, and of course my family, specially my grandmother

MiCkiZ88
11-12-08, 07:31
microwave dinners :) naah =p I can cook pretty well I think =] I'm trying to cook everything once =pI aint letting you in the kitchen..

I love cooking. Especially anything chicken or beef based. Reindeer is my speciality, but.. I just bloody hate cooking it. It takes couple of hours before it's ready. More if I have to make thin slices from the half frozen meat. It's really tiring, but the taste is really worth the trouble. :D

Though I hate preparing fish..

Carbonek_0051
11-12-08, 07:34
I can cook a lot of things, I loooove making spaghetti or Chicken Alfredo. My two fav meals:cln:. I am pretty good at making homemade fries too.:p

KurtisLonely
11-12-08, 07:36
I aint letting you in the kitchen...
Lol! why not? XD oh well, I'd love to sit back and let dinner be served =] hah =p

rowanlim
11-12-08, 07:43
Hmm, I never personally prepared rendang alone before. Might wanna try it out. I only help when the occasion arise. :p

To make a tender beef for rendang is sometimes hard to achieve. Some got it very 'liat' and 'susah nak telan' haha. Look at me and my rojak language. :D

Yeah the beef is tough to cook, I think I take about 3 hrs to get it softened.

Really rojak la you :D

@Nathan: Yeah you're a WAY better cook than me, I think :p

hera7days
11-12-08, 07:52
I can't cook. The only thing I can make that doesn't come from a box, can, or bag is chocolate chip cookies. They are good cookies, though.

Carbonek_0051
11-12-08, 07:55
Yeah the beef is tough to cook, I think I take about 3 hrs to get it softened.

Really rojak la you :D

@Nathan: Yeah you're a WAY better cook than me, I think :p

I'm usually cooking when you talk to me on MSN. :vlol:

Nefertiti_89
11-12-08, 08:02
I'm proud to say yes I can!

I can cook almost anything - and I leave my dad for dead when it comes to the BBQ, the grill is no longer a mans domain!

The only area I have trouble in is baking biscuits/slices/scones....I'm getting better but I think I need to just stick to cakes in the baking area for a while!

I'm about to make spaghetti marinara for dinner....just waiting on the damn seafood to thaw! Hurry up I want my dinner!!:hea:

Anyone got any good recipes?

george_croft
11-12-08, 08:09
Yeah, I'm totally amazing in the kitchen. Seriously.

MiCkiZ88
11-12-08, 08:10
Lol! why not? XD oh well, I'd love to sit back and let dinner be served =] hah =pThen pray I'm not making reindeer or any other deer based dinner.
Cause you'll have to sit and wait for ages, hyper active boy. :p

And I just want to know what I'm eating.. <.<

I dont really know any recipes. I just make my own dinner from scratch.

jaywalker
11-12-08, 09:23
Nope i suck at cooking.. if it involves microwaves and timing, then i can just handle it.. i've burnt salad..

Ampersand
11-12-08, 09:26
Yes, pretty much anything. I was brought up in a cooky household, love cooking and think it's an important skill for anyone to have.

Spong
11-12-08, 09:36
I can't cook for toffee. If it's not from a box with reheating instructions then I'm screwed. The only time I eat "properly" is when I visit my girlfriend's place, apart from that it's all microwave meals or tinned food.

CroftScionGuard
11-12-08, 09:44
Well, I cooked better once... A year ago I wasn't that nice cooker. If I did a black cake, trust me, it wasn't of chocolate.... It burnt :pi::o

then I gained some experience and now I cut a few things while cooking but I got better and better. I love my country recipes, but also a few french ones :p

I love discussing with our dear TRF cooker... she's adorable, yet weird too :mis:

I don't want to loose that talent I earned.

Archetype
11-12-08, 10:26
yes.

john_york
11-12-08, 10:49
Yep.

Spong
11-12-08, 11:11
I used to live with a guy who was a worse cook than me. Fried lettuce anyone?

I laugh about it now, but it was disgusting at the time.

illuminati30
11-12-08, 11:27
I'm getting better. The DS cooking guide has helped!

luis54321
11-12-08, 11:30
Yes, I did food tech at school so I have got quite a lot of experience in the kitchen.

coolaideonfire
11-12-08, 11:49
Not spontaneously - but I can follow instructions and come up with something edible. :jmp:

Bumio
11-12-08, 11:55
i dont cook very often, but i can do it :pi:
if i have recipe book in my hands it's even more easier.
what i can't prepare and cook is meat, only vegetarian stuff :)

Kerrigan
11-12-08, 12:00
Nah, but I think I could if my life depended on it.Only it doesn't, because I actually like sandwiches and cold stuff and can't be bothered to prepare anything.Frying eggs seems to be the minimum skill of cooking and I don't even know how to do that properly.
I can't imagine myself cooking, I wonder if I'll ever cook when I'll have have a family and everything.Not saying that's a good thing, neither a particularly bad one, it's just the way I'm used to.

Anleva
11-12-08, 12:07
I can make simple things. Thanks to the fact that my sis sux at cooking and is a lazzy bum so I make breackfest for her :)

jarekhanzelka
11-12-08, 12:33
I'm studying gastronomy and cooking is my subject. My practice happens in 4 stars hotel. And as much as I love cooking, I NEVER want to be a cook in a hotel or even a restaurant. I don't want it as my job actually. I just want to understand food :D

Punaxe
11-12-08, 12:41
Uhh I guess I can... Just when I'm by myself (95% of the time) I think it's too much effort. I'd rather just put something in the microwave, or pour some milk in a bowl.

Quasimodo
11-12-08, 13:06
Nope i suck at cooking.. if it involves microwaves and timing, then i can just handle it.. i've burnt salad..
Reminds me of the time my dad set fire to a plate of peanuts in the microwave. Now that's talent.

jackali
11-12-08, 13:21
Yes. :)

I enjoy cooking.

Lee croft
11-12-08, 13:38
i can make noodles and micowave chicken curry !!! hahaha i wanna learn how cook other stuff though

da tomb raider!
11-12-08, 13:40
Sure I can cook. I make excellent toast.

Rileigh
11-12-08, 13:42
I can burn things. And set fire to pans that haven't actually been heated. And make a mess outa pouring milk on cereal or opening a tin of beans.
Me, cooking: epic fail.

Paperdoll
11-12-08, 13:44
It's my job. So I'd be in big trouble if I couldn't :p

Drone
11-12-08, 13:45
A bit, after I took a crash course :)

:wve:

Endow
11-12-08, 13:54
Scrambled eggs ala Endow and that's it :p

Shrantellatessa
11-12-08, 13:56
Barely and rarely :p

Nefertiti_89
11-12-08, 13:58
Sure I can cook. I make excellent toast.

Lol :vlol: Nice! Toast is an essential!

Believe it or not, last time I was in London, I had terrible toast I was like....wtf how do you get toast wrong!

Mr.Burns
11-12-08, 14:20
It's my job. So I'd be in big trouble if I couldn't :p

Where's that recipe for chocolate cake you said you had? :mad:

*moves out of knife throwing range* :pi:

I can cook and bake. So far I have managed every recipe that's been thrown at me. Chinese, Italian, Jewish, Cajun, Southwestern, Northeastern US. I need something hard, gimme something difficult people. :)

tomkat
11-12-08, 14:26
I can bake stuff... cakes, pies, muffins...whatever.
But I can't cook real food.

So my sister (who cant cook either) and I live off savoury muffins, instant noodles and ovenbake meals.

Endow
11-12-08, 14:31

I can cook and bake. So far I have managed every recipe that's been thrown at me. Chinese, Italian, Jewish, Cajun, Southwestern, Northeastern US. I need something hard, gimme something difficult people. :)

How about Fugu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu)?

oocladableeblah
11-12-08, 14:34
Yep. Speciality being reindeer. :)
And how does reindeer taste?
I made spaghetti the other day and it was good :D

Mr.Burns
11-12-08, 14:38
How about Fugu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu)?Um, no I prefer my test subjects to not be poisoned. :p

stranger1992
11-12-08, 14:42
I can, very well. :D

Dont get a chance to much though. Actually...this thread has given me an idea,,,

MiCkiZ88
11-12-08, 15:02
And how does reindeer taste?
I made spaghetti the other day and it was good :DHard to say really. The taste doesnt reseamble anything else. I'll just say it's delicious and better than chicken, ham or beef. :D

It can be chewy if you cook it wrong though.. just like moose and other wild deer animals. The meat can be very chewy unless you cook it properly.

LegenDarY
11-12-08, 15:08
To be honest, I can cook like a pro! :D

Ok, that a lie, but I let my roommates try my food everyday and they honestly love it to death, so I must be doing something right. And I love to cook healthy stuff with fresh vegetables, fruit, no salt and sugar.. that kind of stuff :D.

oocladableeblah
11-12-08, 15:08
Hard to say really. The taste doesnt reseamble anything else. I'll just say it's delicious and better than chicken, ham or beef. :D

It can be chewy if you cook it wrong though.. just like moose and other wild deer animals. The meat can be very chewy unless you cook it properly.
I will have to try some whenever I get the chance.
I wonder what Rudolph taste like :mis:

MiCkiZ88
11-12-08, 15:13
I will have to try some whenever I get the chance.
I wonder what Rudolph taste like :mis:You have to wonder a bit longer. I'm gonna cook him this weekend. :p

Hope santa gets headlights installed.

rowanlim
11-12-08, 15:22
I heard a tale of this Malaysian guy who never cooked, then he studied the US, so when my buddy became his room mate, they were gonna cook rice, the guy-who-never-cooked actually washed the rice grains with soap. A total waste & an expensive lesson :p

Tombcool
11-12-08, 16:14
Yes, i've been cooking for over 5 years now, I went to school for it for about 3 years. :D I'll do a bit of bragging by saying I was top in my class and catered at many schools and events while I was in school. It was really fun, just wish I had more time to write recipes and cook.

I make a mean Greek Chicken Souvlaki, would be happy to upload the recipe I created if anyone wants. :)

jamieoliver22
11-12-08, 16:31
Despite my name.. Not particularly :p Beans on toast is about as far as I can go.

Phlip
11-12-08, 16:44
Yep - that's why I chose Food Tech. :D

Paperdoll
12-12-08, 01:39

:o I forgot! I still need to do conversions and what not... I actually have the recipe here in my computer, I just need to get it into other measurements. Sorry X_X

EmeraldFields
12-12-08, 01:47
I need something hard, gimme something difficult people. :)

If you want to try Indian food, here's Chicken Tikka (http://indianfood.about.com/od/chickendishes/r/chickentikka.htm). It is very delicious!:D

God Horus
12-12-08, 01:54
Yes, i've been cooking for over 5 years now, I went to school for it for about 3 years. :D I'll do a bit of bragging by saying I was top in my class and catered at many schools and events while I was in school. It was really fun, just wish I had more time to write recipes and cook.

I make a mean Greek Chicken Souvlaki, would be happy to upload the recipe I created if anyone wants. :)

OMG! I love souvlaki! I had chicken souvlaki, fries, and a salad for dinner last Friday *drools*

Anyways, back on topic, I can cook almost anything. I usually make simple things like pasta, chicken/beef burgers, home made fries, ribs, salads, subs, pizza, steak, stew, rice, etc

Admles
12-12-08, 02:04
I can do basics - meat, veggies etc. I won't starve.

My problem is I lack patience, and also, I find it hard to justify spending so much time preparing a meal and cleaning up, when eating it is only going to take a quarter of that time!

I much prefer something I can stick in the oven, and pay little attention to it.

Quasimodo
12-12-08, 02:25
I can do basics - meat, veggies etc. I won't starve.

My problem is I lack patience, and also, I find it hard to justify spending so much time preparing a meal and cleaning up, when eating it is only going to take a quarter of that time!

I much prefer something I can stick in the oven, and pay little attention to it.
It's not so bad if you clean as you go along. When something's in the oven, I wash whatever dishes I used thus far, etc. Multitasking ftw :D

Admles
12-12-08, 02:29
It's not so bad if you clean as you go along. When something's in the oven, I wash whatever dishes I used thus far, etc. Multitasking ftw :D
That's usually what I try to do.

I just can't relax and enjoy my meal knowing I have a lot of cleaning up to do, so I try to wash as I wait, or at least leave things to soak.

Also, sometimes after training etc, I'm too damned tired to cook and clean up. That's when the take out menus come out :D

Benguitar
12-12-08, 02:29
Umm.. Sorta, nothing fancy.

:) :wve:

~Ben

Evan C.
12-12-08, 02:34
Yup,everything.When my mom doesn' want to cook,I do.
My speciality is créme brulé,and all because of Amelie Poulain :D

Fdx Croft
12-12-08, 03:03
well, i can make pizzas and... emh... i love to create new foods with a lot and diverse vegetables... i love them :p

Shrantellatessa
12-12-08, 03:10
Um, no I prefer my test subjects to not be poisoned. :p

The Simpsons FTW, "Mr. Burns" :p

Rachel Croft
12-12-08, 03:21
I can cook alot of things, you name it.

Lemmie
12-12-08, 03:37
I can usually pick up a recipe pretty easily, but I'm no great cook. :)

Fallen.Angel
12-12-08, 03:51
I can cook some things. Spaghetti, eggs, french toast [easy xP], pancakes, cakes/cookies, and other basics. I've still got so much to learn tho xD

TRexbait
12-12-08, 04:03
I don't know many recipes, but give me one and i will make a decent meal...

Mr.Burns
12-12-08, 04:30
:o I forgot! I still need to do conversions and what not... I actually have the recipe here in my computer, I just need to get it into other measurements. Sorry X_X

I'll take it as is. If it's just measurement conversions I have a good program for that. I think I still have to get you that chili recipe I mentioned, if you want it. :)

If you want to try Indian food, here's Chicken Tikka (http://indianfood.about.com/od/chickendishes/r/chickentikka.htm). It is very delicious!:D

Ohh, me likey. Thanks :)

The Simpsons FTW, "Mr. Burns" :p

"One button will supply your town with power, the other will release the hounds."

:mis:

ivannnnn
12-12-08, 04:35
I can cook instant food. Oh I can cook you too, to feed my pets. ;)

EmeraldFields
12-12-08, 04:39
Ohh, me likey. Thanks :)

Anytime.:D I always enjoy trying new foods and I've caught the Indian bug! I'm going to a vietnamese place tomorrow called The Blue Orchid.

Nefertiti_89
12-12-08, 06:02

Omg I love indian food! I love cooking it too the smells are so good!

That recipe was fab! I added some ground cashews as well for something different :)

@ Mr. Burns: Try some Thai! My favourite is a Green Curry (http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Thai-Green-Chicken-Curry-L2744.html) :) (That recipe leaves out chillies but I usually add about half a red chilli for an extra kick :))

patriots88888
12-12-08, 08:42
Tis a very sad thread (those who can't) :(

Yup. :) I've got 25+ years of cooking experience under my belt and wouldn't want it any other way. Don't care much for restaurant food, especially the fast food variety (always afraid some disgruntled employee might spit on my food).

rowanlim
12-12-08, 12:50
Just made dinner; simple delicious stuff. There's no way I can keep the pounds off when I cook because it's too good to resist :D

ajrich17901
12-12-08, 12:51
For the most part yea, i guess i can cook lol

Marianna12
12-12-08, 16:24
I can cook instant food. Oh I can cook you too, to feed my pets. ;)

OMG!

I can't cook btw...:o

Kerrigan
12-12-08, 17:11
Just got home and got a sample of Mum's cooking.It's delicious, it doesn't even compare to my poorly made sandwiches.I'm so lazy I think I might starve to death some day and won't even realize it.I just don't feel much like eating when I'm by myself.

Seb_01225
12-12-08, 17:35
cooking is one of my talents i didn't used to have a clue but now i can cook anything if i have a recipe book LOL :P

TombRaiderCool
12-12-08, 17:52
I can cook and I love cooking! It's very relaxing, unless it's Christmas Dinner. Nothing beats cooking and listening to your favorite music! :p
I really like cooking for others as well, it gives you such a satisfactory feeling to know that others enjoy your meals you make for them. :)

sjam_raider
12-12-08, 19:20
yeah kinda :p

Tombreaper
12-12-08, 20:16
Yeah, very good!

It's one of my greatest hobbies :) (except for the dishes of course)

Nannonxyay
12-12-08, 20:16
I can cook the basics like bacon, spaghetti, etc and can make sausage rolls and pies and stuff. I learned most of it at school. :D

Teslo
12-12-08, 20:38
Yes I can !

I love cooking ! Above all italian food (pizza, pasta ... easy ^^) and cakes (tiramisu, chocolate ... ).

IceColdLaraCroft
12-12-08, 20:43
I fancy myself an at home chef. I've taken some Le Cordon Bleu classes.

Shrantellatessa
12-12-08, 23:54
"One button will supply your town with power, the other will release the hounds."

:vlol: :tmb:

IceColdLaraCroft
13-12-08, 00:21

Just look into your heart and you will find the answer

Feather Duster
13-12-08, 00:34
Microwavable soups WIN!

Betal
13-12-08, 00:39
I can cook fast noodles. YAy me. :D

Logie 12 =]
13-12-08, 02:02
yep got a good grade in home econmomics :)

Lara Croft!
13-12-08, 17:51
I know how to cook simple things like spaghetti and sauces... Frying potatoes and grilling meat... I don't know a thing about pies and stuff like that.

TRfan23
13-12-08, 18:28
I've never been so confident in cooking before! I've always loved cooking, like it much more then used to and thanks to the exam I did back in yr 10 at school in June.
I'm a lot more confident then ever! As I used to get so stressed at making higher skill meals + desserts, until now at school in lessons I'm like loving it. Though I am slow at it, but have gotten faster :)

Amazingly I know a supply teacher at my school who loves to cook a lot, and cannot make profiteroles! She's tried them so many times and never a success :( I practised so many times, and did them for the exam! :yik: A success :)

Got graded A for the practical, along with the written work I got a B in total ;)

M.A.
13-12-08, 18:54
Does boiling water counts as cooking? :D

If not, then I'm known to cook three things well in my life:

1. Chicken eggs (fried, boiled, scrambled.etc etc)

2. Instant noodles.. :D

3. Not so good looking but extremely delicious (according to my critics :D) Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake!

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/m_afiki/IMG_0455-1.jpg
(A slice is pictured being accompanied by a slosh of peppermint flavored ice cream. My little heaven! :D)

:)

la-la-lara
13-12-08, 20:14
I love cooking! I'm an amateur, but still, I'm good at it. Besides, I'm an adolescent. I make the best lemon sugar cookies in the world. :D

Psychos'Я'Us
13-12-08, 20:15
Not really...someone would probably get killed if I tried to cook anyway :whi:

rowanlim
14-12-08, 12:06
Does boiling water counts as cooking? :D

If not, then I'm known to cook three things well in my life:

1. Chicken eggs (fried, boiled, scrambled.etc etc)

2. Instant noodles.. :D

3. Not so good looking but extremely delicious (according to my critics :D) Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake!

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u346/m_afiki/IMG_0455-1.jpg
(A slice is pictured being accompanied by a slosh of peppermint flavored ice cream. My little heaven! :D)

:)

Steamed? How do you steam it?

You can make Maggi Mee? Typical Malaysian :vlol:

AODdigger
14-12-08, 12:08
No