PDA

View Full Version : Illinois governor tried to sell Obama's senate seat

Solice
11-12-08, 04:47
Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was caught on tape talking about selling the seat for campaign contributions. He was so blatant about it, some joked he should have put it on eBay.

Sen. Obama was my senator. This really upsets me. :mad: Not to mention what an embarrassment it is for my state. We already have one governor in the clink.

I don’t know what your state government is like, but here in Cook County, its known locally as 'Crook' County.:cln:

rowanlim
11-12-08, 05:07
I read this in the papers but I don't understand it. Can someone explain? :o

EmeraldFields
11-12-08, 05:34
I read this in the papers but I don't understand it. Can someone explain? :o

Since Obama became elected president his senate seat must be filled. The governor of the state, Illinois, was supposed to appoint whoever is most fit for the job. However, he was going to give it to whoever gave him the most money.:)

Hope that clears it up a bit.

rowanlim
11-12-08, 05:44
Since Obama became elected president his senate seat must be filled. The governor of the state, Illinois, was supposed to appoint whoever is most fit for the job. However, he was going to give it to whoever gave him the most money.:)

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Oh that's a shame. A scandal. But money & politics has always been intertwined.

Shark_Blade
11-12-08, 06:19
I know it's important to get updated on current issues and politics, but getting news like this can put me in a lower spirit. Every morning you open up the newspaper and it's about war, crime, assault, dirty politics, urghh.. It's like you kinda loath it but you have to take it anyway, a daily dosage of toxin. Admittedly, sometimes I just skipped news/newspaper to be honest. Or I only read things I wanted to read.

Solice
12-12-08, 00:09
Oh that's a shame. A scandal. But money & politics has always been intertwined.

I know, and since it involved Obama (Obama was never close to the Governor), it gets national attention. Our last Governor, George Ryan, is in jail for corruption to.

innocentvenus
12-12-08, 00:16
Boy am I used to the whole Governor scandal thing. But that's NJ for you.:p

Anyways, I'm not read up on this whole thing, but why were they wire tapping the guy in the first place? I know they caught him that way.

EmeraldFields
12-12-08, 00:54
Boy am I used to the whole Governor scandal thing. But that's NJ for you.:p

Anyways, I'm not read up on this whole thing, but why were they wire tapping the guy in the first place? I know they caught him that way.

I think that they had suspicions that something fishy was happening.

Shark_Blade
12-12-08, 03:22
I read on the news today that Obama urges Illinois governor to step down. Obama called on the Democratic governor of Illinois to resign on Wednesday after he was charged with trying to sell Obama's US Senate seat and swamp favors for money.

Some people only care for money and it disgust me.

irjudd
12-12-08, 03:31
I know it's important to get updated on current issues and politics, but getting news like this can put me in a lower spirit. Every morning you open up the newspaper and it's about war, crime, assault, dirty politics, urghh.. It's like you kinda loath it but you have to take it anyway, a daily dosage of toxin. Admittedly, sometimes I just skipped news/newspaper to be honest. Or I only read things I wanted to read.
I feel the same way as you. I find keeping up with news often just for the sake of keeping up with it does nothing to better me as a person, so I try to avoid it when I can.

Jinkss
12-12-08, 03:38
This whole thing with the governor is really interesting. I am really excited to see how they will pick Obama's old seat and if Blagojevich will step down. The whole thing sucks and makes people even more cynical, but I'm hoping this will lead to more transparency within IL government.. and maybe even with Obama's new team.

Ward Dragon
12-12-08, 04:14
On the plus side, some of the wiretapped conversations have the governor cursing Obama out for not going along with the bribery, so it looks like Obama didn't do anything wrong. It would be a total mess if he was being investigated for corruption while trying to take office. The last thing he needs is a distraction like that.

Incidentally, the governor sounded extremely stupid from what I heard. He apparently knew the phone lines were wiretapped according to some of his conversations, but he still discussed illegal activities over the phone. How did somebody like that get elected in the first place? :p

rowanlim
12-12-08, 04:31
On the plus side, some of the wiretapped conversations have the governor cursing Obama out for not going along with the bribery, so it looks like Obama didn't do anything wrong. It would be a total mess if he was being investigated for corruption while trying to take office. The last thing he needs is a distraction like that.

Incidentally, the governor sounded extremely stupid from what I heard. He apparently knew the phone lines were wiretapped according to some of his conversations, but he still discussed illegal activities over the phone. How did somebody like that get elected in the first place? :p

Sounds incredibly silly. Our reps make fools of themselves on televised Parliamentary session so this shouldn't shock me *snort*

Solice
12-12-08, 04:39
How did somebody like that get elected in the first place? :p

It is a funny story. Gov. Ryan is a Republican, and he went to jail for corruption. The people of Illinois blamed the entire Republican Party and swept them out of office, putting Gov. Blagojevich in as a Democrat. An true irony, indeed.

interstellardave
12-12-08, 10:45
It is a funny story. Gov. Ryan is a Republican, and he went to jail for corruption. The people of Illinois blamed the entire Republican Party and swept them out of office, putting Gov. Blagojevich in as a Democrat. An true irony, indeed.

Illinois has a long history of political corruption. I heard that 40% of the Illinois governors in the past 200 years have been indicted for crimes! :cln: