PDA

View Full Version : Papua New Guinea Women Performing Infanticide to End Tribal War

la-la-lara
13-12-08, 20:06
Women in Papua New Guinea's Highland region are killing their male babies to end a tribal war that has gone on for more than 20 years.

Two women from the Eastern Highlands spoke of the slaughter to PNG's National newspaper during a three-day peace and reconciliation course in the region's capital of Goroka.

Rona Luke and Kipiyona Belas, from two warring tribes, said male infanticide reduced the cyclical payback violence infamous in Highlands tribal fights.

If women stopped producing males, their tribe's stock would go down and this would force the men to end their fight, the women said.

"All the womenfolk agreed to have all babies born killed because they have had enough of men engaging in tribal conflicts and bringing misery to them," Luke said.

The women could not give a figure on how many male babies had been killed.

Belas said getting food was hard as husbands kept fighting and mothers and children were left to fend for themselves.

The Salvation Army is working with various tribes to bring peace to the warring groups, one particular fight continues after starting in 1986 over sorcery claims.

The Salvation Army told the Australian Associated Press that women were so fed up with the ongoing violence that they were taking drastic steps.

"This situation shows the extreme frustration the women have with the men in these areas," a spokesman said.

Source (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24732391-401,00.html?from=public_rss)

That's shattering news. Instantly, it reminded me of China. The Chinese would abandon, abort, or even kill their baby girls so they could have another chance at having a boy, because "a boy will stay in his own place and work, a girl will marry and leave". Quite the opposite, that is.

Mad Tony
13-12-08, 20:26
I've got a better solution. How about not having babies at all? Stupid women.

iamlaracroft
13-12-08, 20:37
I've got a better solution. How about not having babies at all? Stupid women.

...I don't think they have prophylactics readily available in the tribal communities of Papua New Guinea :whi:

Mad Tony
13-12-08, 20:40
...I don't think they have prophylactics readily available in the tribal communities of Papua New Guinea :whi:There's still abstinence.

iamlaracroft
13-12-08, 20:51
I'm sure that'd be ideal, but considering the common traditions of many tribal communities, the women may have little to no choice in the matter.
The dogma upon which the tribe is built, their beliefs and customs, may very well proclaim sex as a god-given right bestowed upon the men--and not an option for the women.

Clearly the tribes in question are not exactly civil, nor civilized. ;)

Catapharact
13-12-08, 20:52
Hmmm, interesting social experiment in works here in this thread.

*< Is waiting for more responses before making a conclusion.*

jackles
13-12-08, 20:55
Abstinence...in a society that presumably has no legal idea of marital rape. Somehow in a society where the women are resorting to killing their own children in an act of desperation I don't think 'Not tonight darling' is going to be effective.

iamlaracroft
13-12-08, 20:57
Abstinence...in a society that presumably has no legal idea of marital rape. Somehow in a society where the women are resorting to killing their own children in an act of desperation I don't think 'Not tonight darling' is going to be effective.

precisely.

Endow
13-12-08, 21:03

Doesn't change the fact the babies were killed, though. There's always the choice of keeping one's kids and raising them.

If it's a war based on honor and the like, it might stop for now if they don't have man to fight, but it could as easily restart eventually. Not to mention the tribe in itself can't survive without male individuals in the long run.

jackles
13-12-08, 21:08
Doesn't change the fact the babies were killed, though. There's always the choice of keeping one's kids and raising them.

If it's a war based on honor and the like, it might stop for now if they don't have man to fight, but it could as easily restart eventually. Not to mention the tribe in itself can't survive without male individuals in the long run.

I didn't say that it did. As a mother I can't imagine how on earth they could be so desperate to do that. It saddens me that any mother would feel so compelled to do that. I also assume that children are valuable in their society, if they weren't the killing of them would have no impact on the men.

Geck-o-Lizard
14-12-08, 11:40
If the Salvation Army are working with them, why aren't the children being brought to foster homes in other countries? With outside help, there must be another solution than killing them. :confused:

There's still abstinence.

And rape.

rowanlim
14-12-08, 12:21
This is horrible. I guess this is the solution to their thinking.

Ilves
14-12-08, 12:27
Stupid women.

What about the role of stupid men in this scenario?