PDA

View Full Version : Disapointing Tourist Attractions?

xx_Hunt_xx
13-12-08, 20:11
These are some of the tourist attractions that there are:

1) The Eiffel Tower
2) The Louvre
3) Times Square
4) Las Ramblas, Spain
5) Statue of Liberty
6) Spanish Steps, Rome
7) The White House
8) The Pyramids, Egypt
9) The Brandenburg Gate, Germany
10) The Leaning Tower of Pisa

I was kinda disapointed in the Pyramids, dont get me wrong i loved it and was fantastic, but i do end up feeling "Is this really it" Because to me its nothing like the pictures you see.

Id like to know if anyone found the Louvre disapointing? And why?
I LOVED IT! Cant fault it at all.

Anyways my point to this thread is whats been your most disapointing and reasons why?

Mad Tony
13-12-08, 20:24
9) The Brandenburg Gate, Germany :eek: I visited Berlin a couple of months ago and I thought the Brandenburg Gate was magnificent. :tmb:

Evelyn.
13-12-08, 20:30
Statue of Libertys just a green statue, i was expecting something spectacular, still got plenty of pictures of it on that free ferry there is;

http://i34.************/2lnwznk.jpg

try going to Blackpool tower in England, now thats one hell of a let down

Encore
13-12-08, 20:45
1) The Eiffel Tower
2) The Louvre
3) Times Square
4) Las Ramblas, Spain
5) Statue of Liberty
6) Spanish Steps, Rome
7) The White House
8) The Pyramids, Egypt
9) The Brandenburg Gate, Germany
10) The Leaning Tower of Pisa

Are the "ramblas" suposed to be something extraordinary??!! Cause you know, it's just big streets. lol.

But, the spanish steps in Rome and the tower of Pisa were definately disapointing. Nothing really amazing there. Whenever I think of the tower this image just comes to mind:

http://i33.************/235ifb.jpg

:vlol:

VonCroy360
13-12-08, 20:53
^ The tower of Pisa is deifnitely worth visiting 'cause it looks amazing, but I wouldn't suggest climbing it. That's really nothing special.

Ampersand
13-12-08, 21:00
The Cumbrian Pencil Museum. Seriously. Don't go.

IceColdLaraCroft
13-12-08, 21:11
Euro Disney.

You can see castles and mice all over europe

SamReeves
13-12-08, 21:32
A sacreligious choice since I only live a few blocks away from it, but the Monterey Bay Aquarium is a big sucky tourist attraction. $20 to go pet fish…no thank you. :(

Smog
13-12-08, 21:34
Stonehenge. I may be bias seeing as how I live just down the road from it, but it's just a bunch of stones. Not exciting.

jackles
13-12-08, 21:40
I was going to say stonehenge too. You can only look at it from a distance these days. When I was a kid (and no they weren't building it at the time before any wag comments ;) ) you were able to go right in and touch the stones. Though of course it is old and mystical....just not very exciting when looked at.

Mad Tony
13-12-08, 21:41
I was going to say stonehenge too. You can only look at it from a distance these days. When I was a kid (and no they weren't building it at the time before any wag comments ;) ) you were able to go right in and touch the stones. Though of course it is old and mystical....just not very exciting when looked at.Amen to that. I go past it every time I go to visit my grandmother in Devon and it just looks so... boring.

badboy70
13-12-08, 21:44
I was going to say stonehenge too. You can only look at it from a distance these days. When I was a kid (and no they weren't building it at the time before any wag comments ;) ) you were able to go right in and touch the stones. Though of course it is old and mystical....just not very exciting when looked at.I've touched them when I was little :D
I didn't know you can't do it anymore these days...

Encore
13-12-08, 21:47
Euro Disney.

NOOO! I love EuroDisney. :( :o :pi:

MiCkiZ88
13-12-08, 21:48
Kemi snowcastle. Do I need to say more?

Largest snowcastle in the world my ass.. just a waste of money and makes the town look even worse during mid spring.

2kool4u
13-12-08, 21:51
Euro Disney.

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: That was damn funny XDD
For me it would be the white house, thats all it is. I love history so it wouldve been epic if we could go in but of course we cant.

Mr.Burns
13-12-08, 21:52
Tourist attractions tend to be uninteresting to those that either live near them or have seen them plenty of times. Niagara Falls? Big whoop, been there done that. It's a lot of water falling into a hole. The Washington Monument? Who cares, it's just the nation's official phallic symbol. Who cares that it's two different colors due to a change in quarries during the civil war. To me, I have seen these and I am still impressed with their qualities, wither it be natural or man made. But to some, the above is how some see such sites. To those that have never seen a site, it's a different story, usually. If one looks at a tourist site at a superficial level, then yes, the attraction can wear off. If one looks at the history of such a site, then it's more likely that the appreciation will not be lost over time.

Legends
13-12-08, 22:03
Statue of Libertys just a green statue, i was expecting something spectacular, still got plenty of pictures of it on that free ferry there is;

http://i34.************/2lnwznk.jpg

It's a statue, I don't know what else the picture told you.

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-12-08, 22:03
The UFO museum in Wisconsin Dells. I was so excited for that damn thing. There wasn't one real alien! ;[

Evelyn.
13-12-08, 22:33
The UFO museum in Wisconsin Dells. I was so excited for that damn thing. There wasn't one real alien! ;[

haha aww i bet you were gutted :D Id love to go to Area 51 though (if i was allowed of course) just to find out what was actually there and if there really are aliens...:pi:

Dia2blo
13-12-08, 22:43
I for one, am rarely dissapointed by even the most minute seeming tourist attractions. I tend to look at the history behind them, rather than the lack of scale or visual wonder.

Benguitar
14-12-08, 00:33
Sea World (in Florida)

Just a bunch of fish tanks. :pi:

~Ben

Lara's Backpack
14-12-08, 02:45
Walking over the Australian Parliament house... You cant do it anymore, but you used to be able to walk over it... tbh, once you're up there its just a grass hill with views of a hole of capital city.

Sydney > Canberra.

ivannnnn
14-12-08, 03:10
Ummm.....i just have exciting tourist attraction. :p :)

IceColdLaraCroft
14-12-08, 05:24
NOOO! I love EuroDisney. :( :o :pi:

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: That was damn funny XDD
For me it would be the white house, thats all it is. I love history so it wouldve been epic if we could go in but of course we cant.

lol such different reactions :)

Re: stonehenge....maybe you need thors gauntlets/belt to move them and make them glow or something :P

calico25
14-12-08, 10:22
is the statue of liberty still shut down to tourists? Floating by it must suck. Actually going up inside of it and over looking NY city was actually interesting.

Another Lara
14-12-08, 11:02
I was going to say stonehenge too. You can only look at it from a distance these days. When I was a kid (and no they weren't building it at the time before any wag comments ;) ) you were able to go right in and touch the stones. Though of course it is old and mystical....just not very exciting when looked at.

I visited Stone Henge on a course I did at Uni called Public Archaeology, so we were allowed in for free (being archaeologists gets you in these places almost everywhere for free!!!) when every one else has to pay a fiver, just to walk around the stones, and at quite a distance... get just as good a view fromt eh motorway, very poor public archaoelogy indeed!:pi:

Admittedly there's a certain aura about the place, esp. at it's neighbouring site, but they've just totally taken any sort of mysticism out of it, by making it so commercial... the only highlight is the shop...

And I'm sure they do take down the fences at certain times of the year for pagan ceremonies, like armistice and stuff...?

Smog
14-12-08, 12:02
And I'm sure they do take down the fences at certain times of the year for pagan ceremonies, like armistice and stuff...?

I think you can go and climb all over the stones at Solstice if you're a crazy hippy-type person who's so inclined.

Another Lara
14-12-08, 12:19
I think you can go and climb all over the stones at Solstice if you're a crazy hippy-type person who's so inclined.

Exactly, so if you're desperate to touch them, dress in a long white slip, grow your hair and wear flowers in it and sacrifice a chicken or two and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to let you through the fences!:p

Ikas90
14-12-08, 12:39
I was kinda disapointed in the Pyramids, dont get me wrong i loved it and was fantastic, but i do end up feeling "Is this really it" Because to me its nothing like the pictures you see.

With that kind of view towards it, I'd say you're not really that passionate about travelling. It's probably not your "thing". To truly appreciate where you are, no matter what, and not comparing it to the pictures you see, is when you are true at heart and truly passionate about seeing the world's amazing places. For example, if someone went to Ayers Rock, one of the world's most famous monoliths, and they think "It's just a rock, nothing special", then travelling is not for them.

xx_Hunt_xx
14-12-08, 14:45
With that kind of view towards it, I'd say you're not really that passionate about travelling. It's probably not your "thing". To truly appreciate where you are, no matter what, and not comparing it to the pictures you see, is when you are true at heart and truly passionate about seeing the world's amazing places. For example, if someone went to Ayers Rock, one of the world's most famous monoliths, and they think "It's just a rock, nothing special", then travelling is not for them.

Not really because i love Egypt ever since i was a little kid, always wanted to go and where other kids where watching cartoons id be watching documentrys on Egypt and all the Pyramids. I loved that holiday like no other, one of the best trips ive ever been on apart from all the beggers and that. I enjoyed the sphinx. And alough i say the Pyramids where disapointing to me thats because its a very "advertisy" kind of place. I expected them to be out in the middle of nowhere in Egypt but they wherent as soon as you turn around you can see a city or town i duno how else to put it with beggers and such. To me thats what brought the whole expiernce down for me. I do like travelling also, i went to Paris for the louvre and effile tower which i loved and this year im going on another sight seeing trip.

Trigger_happy
14-12-08, 15:00
The Cumbrian Pencil Museum. Seriously. Don't go.

Damn- I thought that place would be a riot of fun....

:D

IceColdLaraCroft
14-12-08, 15:00
is the statue of liberty still shut down to tourists? Floating by it must suck. Actually going up inside of it and over looking NY city was actually interesting.

yes. NYC was scared that terrorists might blow it up. Its stupid really.

It's so small, especially compared to the rest of NYC.

Lara Croft!
14-12-08, 18:41
I'm glad no one has mentioned a Greek monument (so far at least...)

So far from what I have seen nothing was disappointing.... Except for Phattaya in Bangkok (but that was the tourists agent's fault, sending me and my sister to a city that only male tourists go to find prostitutes....:mad:), but even there we managed to see some cool places.

mizuno_suisei
14-12-08, 18:47
We have this relatively new Bell Tower in Perth, I went in, its so small and boring xD The most non-dissapointing tourist attraction was JAPAN as a whole. The castles, sakura, Pure bliss :D

Forwen
14-12-08, 19:02
I'm not a tourist and proud of it. All those typically "tourist" trips have nothing to do with what they're supposed to deliver in my opinion, and that is getting to know the "spirit" (and I don't normally use this word so you better appreciate it) of the place. I personally prefer to try the taste of the actual living where I'm visiting. Renting a room with a local family, standing in queues, walking through the less showy parts of the city rather than taking a taxi, crossing the street on a red light (you have to be amazed at how different the street lights cultures and mindsets can be) buying a local newspaper even if I don't understand a thing. I personally don't consider the place properly visited until I travel by the local transportation. But locking myself in a shiny fenced hotel complex and getting my arse transported around by an air-conditioned coach with similarly outlandish people is not my kind of thing (alright, I have nothing against air-conditioning).

That being said, Louvre is still a nightmarish maze of doom.

Endow
14-12-08, 19:04
I'm not a tourist and proud of it. All those typically "tourist" trips have nothing to do with what they're supposed to deliver in my opinion, and that is getting to know the "spirit" (and I don't normally use this word so you better appreciate it) of the place. I personally prefer to try the taste of the actual living where I'm visiting. Renting a room with a local family, standing in queues, walking through the less showy parts of the city rather than taking a taxi, crossing the street on a red light (you have to be amazed at how different the street lights cultures and mindsets can be) buying a local newspaper even if I don't understand a thing. I personally don't consider the place properly visited until I travel by the local transportation. But locking myself in a shiny fenced hotel complex and getting my arse transported around by an air-conditioned coach with similarly outlandish people is not my kind of thing (alright, I have nothing against air-conditioning).

Which says nothing about your hate/love for famous monuments and other tourist attractions. :)

Tidus
14-12-08, 19:08
I absolutely love Washington D.C., especially the White House, Capital, and the Smithsonian museums. But I only like going when the tourists are elsewhere...

I like New Orleans alright, but only when it isnt tourist season. I only live a few hours from it so its nothing special.

How about annoying tourists? :cln: The town I live in turns into tourist central every Christmas...we're called the "City of Lights" and we put up lights in our historic district every year and have fireworks and parades. Tourists just love comming from all over to experience the 'quaint little southern town' that we are. And they end up turning my nice college community into a rush hour death trap! Thankfully tourists come but once a year ;)

Encore
14-12-08, 19:08

That being said, Louvre is still a nightmarish maze of doom.

So if you don't travel through a travel agency and instead visit the actual country (not just the tourist hot spots), you're NOT a tourist??? Umm... Somehow I doubt the locals wouldn't consider you one. I mean I agree with the notion that one should try to know the country and not just follow the cliche routes but frankly, your post just smells like delusions of grandeur. :p It's still tourism in the end.

Forwen
14-12-08, 19:09
Which says nothing about your hate/love for famous monuments and other tourist attractions. :)

I'm quite certain I edited before you posted. Nitpick fail :)

I mean I agree with the notion that one should try to know the country and not just follow the cliche routes but frankly, your post just smells like delusions of grandeur. :p It's still tourism in the end.

I'm arrogant, is that it? Thank you, I'm doing my best :p I'm referring to a specific type of tourism (with "sightseeing" at its heart) and you're quick to take offence, how's that!

Endow
14-12-08, 19:10
I'm quite certain I edited before you posted. Nitpick fail :)

You're wrong though. I posted mine before you edited yours ;)

Tidus
14-12-08, 19:14
So if you don't travel through a travel agency and instead visit the actual country (not just the tourist hot spots), you're NOT a tourist??? Umm... Somehow I doubt the locals wouldn't consider you one. I mean I agree with the notion that one should try to know the country and not just follow the cliche routes but frankly, your post just smells like delusions of grandeur. :p It's still tourism in the end.

Well there are two different type of tourists; there are the ones that tramp through town acting like kings and queens, and expecting you to be a part of the show or something. They're rude, obnoxious, and don't educate themselves on the culture at all before comming to 'visit.'

Then there are the other types of tourists, the types that are respectful of the location and its citizens. They tend to try and understand the local culture before comming, and over all they are much more pleasant to deal with than the others.

innocentvenus
14-12-08, 19:17
yes. NYC was scared that terrorists might blow it up. Its stupid really.

It's so small, especially compared to the rest of NYC.

So true. I don't even think it's been reopened yet, and it's quite stupid.

I don't get to travel much, but for me the most underwhelming tourist attraction was the tree in Rockefeller Center. It was just...there. Like, in an alleyway.

Feather Duster
14-12-08, 20:31
The Grand Canyon sucks. Big woop, it's a two hour drive to see a bunch of rocks. I've seen it five times in my life.

IceColdLaraCroft
14-12-08, 22:01
So true. I don't even think it's been reopened yet, and it's quite stupid.

I don't get to travel much, but for me the most underwhelming tourist attraction was the tree in Rockefeller Center. It was just...there. Like, in an alleyway.

I think at one point NYC had a certain appeal (1940s-50s) but now its so over built and busy that you can't do anything efficiently, so why bother going to see something that'll take hours to get to only for it to be a disappointment?

The Grand Canyon sucks. Big woop, it's a two hour drive to see a bunch of rocks. I've seen it five times in my life.

It's more impressive from the air. I would've taken a photo, but I wasn't sure that's what I was looking at in a plane (pilots apparently don't say "oh your left you'll notice the grand canyon) at least they didn't on my flight across the US.

Voni
14-12-08, 22:43
Eurodisney was a let down to me, as I'd visted the Florida and Anaheim ones before it. Fail.

I wasn't all enamoured with the Eiffel Tower either. Oh great, now I'm at the top I can see everything I saw on the bus tour yesterday. Snore!

Tomb Raider Master
14-12-08, 23:47
Never had any, TBH.