PDA

View Full Version : Warner Bros take over Lara Croft, bit by bit

Jin Uzuki
15-12-08, 11:13
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/migdumaual/Warner--Bros-Interactive-Expands-in.jpg

Or at least, thatís how things seem to be of late. Following rumors of various publishers as bidders for Eidos takeover, MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32686/Warner-snaps-up-10m-Eidos-shares) is reporting that Time Warner has purchased a whopping amount of 10 million shares in Eidos, which, combined with their existing shares in the company, now amounts to 52.2 million. Thatís more than 19 per cent total stake in Eidos. Pretty soon, Warner Bros could very well be the new publisher of IPs such as Tomb Raider and Hitman; that is, if the shares-buying streak gets momentum.

In the mean time, we canít really know for sure if this move by Time Warner has effectively wiped out Ubisoft, EA, and Square Enix out of the picture. Should be interesting to see what the others have up their sleeves, if they still have any at all.

tha_mattster
15-12-08, 11:27
If it means that the developers won't be so rushed I'm happy :)

Jin Uzuki
15-12-08, 11:32
If it means that the developers won't be so rushed I'm happy :)
I'm not so keen on Warner Bros getting Eidos altogether. The brand has casual gaming written all over it. I'd rather have EA, Ubisoft or Square Enix. But alas, at this point, anything not Eidos would do good for Tomb Raider.

tha_mattster
15-12-08, 11:37
Yes EIDOS is slowly killing TR...

Square enix is my preference. They kept final fantasy popular and didn't stop improving it. EIDOS is just one step forward and then two steps back.

Jin Uzuki
15-12-08, 11:46

Square enix is my preference. They kept final fantasy popular and didn't stop improving it. EIDOS is just one step forward and then two steps back.
Square Enix has proven that an old old franchise can have great staying power with innovations and good time spent on development. I wonder where Tomb Raider would be standing now if Eidos hadn't been 'oppressive' of the franchise.

Keir_Eidos
15-12-08, 11:59
I won't/can't make any comment on this thread other than....

*sigh*

:mad:

tha_mattster
15-12-08, 12:04
TR was at the cutting edge of games technology in the 1990s...since then it's just declined and with every episode critics point to the failure to evolve. This changed with TR:L, but since then we've seen more evidence that the previous trend is reoccuring. Underworld was rushed and even shipped when they knew damn well it was full of bugs. I don't know what contribution Eric Lindstrom made to the game either. It had very little creative vision and weak storytelling. Square Enix excell at high technical quality, epic story telling ability and beautiful visuals. EIDOS wants to publish the worst it can reasonably get away with. They take a stalinist approach to media relations. Their game is criticised by all reviewers for the technical problems. Now after the release what do they do? Start releasing screenshots for new downloadable content!!! Hello?! Where is the patch for the broken game I just spent my money on?! You need to actually cultivate your products and treat them (and the developers) with respect.

edit: omg "They take a stalinist approach to media relations." - just proved correct...check the scary face I was just shown by Mr Eidos LOL. *thrown in a gulag* I'm the one entitled to show you an angry face seeing as I just spent 30 quid on your firm's buggy product. Maybe you can explain how EIDOS has been good for TR throughout the years? Really I am open to persuasion :)

Jin Uzuki
15-12-08, 12:19
Surely Eidos is aware that there are sentiments such as the ones in this forum from their customers - the loyal ones even, I might add. I think it would only be good if Eidos knew what practices they have that could put Tomb Raider in a much worse position than it is already at. I do not pretend to know much about the internal decisions made by the company, but I think it would be fair to say that Eidos' strategies are all short-term-oriented. Think about how the right AAA treatment to the development of a Tomb Raider game could do for the franchise (and Eidos) in the long run.

tomkat
15-12-08, 13:09
Don't care, as long as they do a good job -
thats the same view I have with politicians

Punaxe
15-12-08, 13:19

*sigh*

That's a shame, because you're one of the few posters who could actually make a post that's worth something in threads like these :p

IceColdLaraCroft
15-12-08, 13:21
Does this mean we'll get funny looks from Lara (ala Wyl E. Coyote) when something falls on her?

Encore
15-12-08, 14:43
That's a shame, because you're one of the few posters who could actually make a post that's worth something in threads like these :p

Something other than sticking up for his company?

Too predictable. :p

Anyways, I wanna see where TR goes without Eidos screwing up with release dates and whatnot. ATM any change in publisher is good imo, then we'll see.

GenyaArikado
15-12-08, 14:56
Too Bad, Ubisoft didnt win:(:(:(:(

MattTR
15-12-08, 15:12
Well the Warner Brothers logo was on the cover of TRU, so nothing suprises me anymore.. :p

jaywalker
15-12-08, 15:24
Well the Warner Brothers logo was on the cover of TRU, so nothing suprises me anymore.. :p

Warner Brothers basically is our US distribution arm now

Jin Uzuki
15-12-08, 15:38
Too Bad, Ubisoft didnt win:(:(:(:(
Not yet. The extra shares purchase made by Warner isn't the takeover. Ubisoft will be closing takeover deals pretty soon (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3302155#post3302155), and I'm hoping Eidos is one of them.

da tomb raider!
15-12-08, 17:11
I'd prefer EA or Ubisoft take over Eidos, but hey, anybody's better than Eidos at this point.

Seb_01225
15-12-08, 17:16
i hope squarenix get it :)

Legends
15-12-08, 17:24
I wanted Ubisoft, but I'm sure WB will do a good job too. :tmb:

jaywalker
15-12-08, 17:25
I'd prefer EA or Ubisoft take over Eidos, but hey, anybody's better than Eidos at this point.

dizzydoil
15-12-08, 17:30
I love Eidos, and I'm hoping Ubisoft take there place - and still, in the hearts of those at Eidos, give there games a good name :tmb:.

KC Mraz
15-12-08, 18:55
I guess I'm in the small group that still isn't very irritated towards Eidos lol :p

But IMO, you go Warner. At least over Ubisoft or EA.

Laras man
15-12-08, 19:00
Yeah!! I'm so HAPPY!! Eidos you were killing TR!! I know they rushed them! Come on Take over!

TRhalloween
15-12-08, 19:11

*sigh*

I like Eidos :(
I'm not sure if this is the right thing to be worrying about but I hope it doesn't effect your pay if you don't publish Tomb Raider anymore.

Candee Sparks
15-12-08, 21:47

I second that.

Jin Uzuki
16-12-08, 02:29
I think it's important to point out that the antagonistic stance directed at Eidos isn't necessarily directed at its employees (Keir and Jay). It's the decisions coming from the higher-ups that aren't accepted well by the community.

Dixie
16-12-08, 02:50
Hmm... so is Eidos definitely being taken over by someone?

Megalith
16-12-08, 02:53
i hope squarenix get it :)

Me too,but i try not to get my hopes up.:)

Twilight
16-12-08, 03:01

*sigh*

sorry, but if someone's doing a bad job, they're doing a bad job. the game is rushed, could have been polished, but the whole "exclusive DLC" is what really hit home for fans and non-fans.

Quasimodo
16-12-08, 03:13
Hooray!

EmeraldFields
16-12-08, 03:15
Hmm... so is Eidos definitely being taken over by someone?

Most likely...

Camera Obscura
16-12-08, 03:20

*sigh*

Talk about http://www.therealnicaragua.com/vb/forums/images/smilies/beatdeadhorse.gif eh?

Quasimodo
16-12-08, 03:24
The answer to this is probably glaringly obvious, but what happens to Eidos employees if the company is bought out? Do they all just get laid off, or does the new publisher still keep some people on board?

oocladableeblah
16-12-08, 03:34
I don't care who as long tr is good and not rushed.

CrisGer
16-12-08, 03:34
Eidos has been and continues to be one of the very best of the CGI game title making companies that have come along yet, just look at their history and some of the fantastic games that they have created and pioneered breakthroughs with. I am sad to see so many uninformed posts and hope that the good people at Eidos will realize that there are as many opinions that are uninformed of the real qualiteis of the games as there are who love what you have done and very very much appreciate it.

I am very glad Eidos continues and hope it continues for a long long time and I think they have done an excellent job on the TR games that they have done.

When you have played and studied hundreds of games of all genres as i have and study the TR games in deep detail as i am then you can cut Eidos down, imho...but for now I will just close by saying thank you to them, and the future will be what it will be, but there is not good coming from attacking a company and a creative team that gives their utmost to each title they create, no positive benefit. There are many out here who understand and appreciate and are thankful.:jmp::jmp::jmp:

And i will finally close by saying all the above is my opinion alone, and you may disagree and such disagreement is good, and healthy. But I do believe what i say here very much.

Camera Obscura
16-12-08, 03:38
When you have played and studied hundreds of games of all genres as i have and study the TR games in deep detail as i am then you can cut Eidos down, imho...but for now I will just close by saying thank you to them, and the future will be what it will be, but there is not good coming from attacking a company and a creative team that gives their utmost to each title they create, no positive benefit. There are many out here who understand and appreciate and are thankful.:jmp::jmp::jmp:

And i will finally close by saying all the above is my opinion alone, and you may disagree and such disagreement is good, and healthy. But I do believe what i say here very much.

True there are people out there who like Eidos just as there are people who dislike them. But those who dislike them aren't doing so just for the sake of it. It's because of their crude marketing tactics and decision to pass off a half finished game with little regard to the customer.

Dixie
16-12-08, 03:44
It seems like a lot of people are confusing the publisher with the company that actually makes the game.

CrisGer
16-12-08, 03:57
My feelings arose when i saw the angry and what seemed very harsh criticism of a fine company that has made the entire Tomb Raider set of games possible, without them we would have any of these remarkable and wonderful games. There is a HUGE effort invovled in developing a title, espeically one integrated in a deep and complex evolving story line with such a character as Lara. Look around ....and think before attacking a company that has been loyal and honoured that theme and continued to give us the games in this set that are unique in all of game development.

We are fortunate to HAVE the games at all. I read and study about the development history of each title, and yes there are challenges and things that might have been. But appreciate what IS. And question with respect. If members of Eidos staff are kind enough to post and share their feelings, appreciate that and appreciate them. Respect them. We are not the ones facing the budget challenges, the production schedules, the coding challenges, all the millions of decisions that must be made hourly, daily , weekly monthly year after year. Give them the respect that is their due.

please. :)

Jin Uzuki
16-12-08, 04:00
It seems like a lot of people are confusing the publisher with the company that actually makes the game.
Which shouldn't be the case.

I believe the Crystal Dynamics is capable of innovating the franchise if it weren't for the demands of the higher-ups. Pity, really.

JamesFKirk
16-12-08, 04:01
My feelings arose when i saw the angry and what seemed very harsh criticism of a fine company that has made the entire Tomb Raider set of games possible, without them we would have any of these remarkable and wonderful games. There is a HUGE effort invovled in developing a title, espeically one integrated in a deep and complex evolving story line with such a character as Lara. Look around ....and think before attacking a company that has been loyal and honoured that theme and continued to give us the games in this set that are unique in all of game development.

We are fortunate to HAVE the games at all. I read and study about the development history of each title, and yes there are challenges and things that might have been. But appreciate what IS. And question with respect. If members of Eidos staff are kind enough to post and share their feelings, appreciate that and appreciate them. Respect them. We are not the ones facing the budget challenges, the production schedules, the coding challenges, all the millions of decisions that must be made hourly, daily , weekly monthly year after year. Give them the respect that is their due.

Finally, someone speaking my mind. Thank you. :tmb:)
I would say this about the fans of the series: The loudest of them state all the time, how they generally expect this and that, and how the game failed to deliver. The main problem is this: What you ask for is a miraculous concoction of unlimited resources, all time welcoming market and "absolutely everything in one" game. That won't happen. It can't. It is as certain as the fact that nobody can count to reaching infinite number. There are possibilities for improval, yes. But tell me, where aren't?

One thing is for certain. Things like saying "anyone would be better than <put name here>" is not a constructive criticism. It is bashing. And quite frankly, I've seen way too much of it in this forum. It is actually pretty interesting that those that call themselves fans are those who bash the game the most. TR:U got very high rankings from most of gaming magazines. This is the only place where people massively state that the game is - pardon the expression - crap. I wonder how it may be possible. No offense, but most people present here (anywhere for that matter) have no clue what it takes to develop a software (I do, before you ask - I work as a programmer and a quality engineer, be it for a bank, and not a game company). You bash them for delivering a game that does not work well on your computer. Take it from a view of a quality engineer then: Try it on another. If the bug persists, then it is a case to talk about. I have played TR:U, and the worst thing I noticed was one missing texture in a small dark corner. Besides that, the game run completely smoothly (good job there, guys, both thumbs up, and I mean it). So, I either have a miraculous (excuse me for repeating the word) computer, or there must be a different reason. Try to find out what that generaly may be before you bash out. Please.

Howgh. I have spoken.

Sir Croft
16-12-08, 04:14
I still hope...
http://i34.************/210m1i0.jpg

Jin Uzuki
16-12-08, 04:32
It is actually pretty interesting that those that call themselves fans are those who bash the game the most. TR:U got very high rankings from most of gaming magazines. This is the only place where people massively state that the game is - pardon the expression - crap.
Is it then not being a fan to hope for the best of the series? I think that one truly is a fan if you recognize the flaws of that which you are devoted to, seeking ways to have make better what can be improved. If opportunities to polish, to really develop, and to innovate are hindered by something, then change should be in order. Here now we are at a point when that change could very well happen, and people are just voicing out what they think about it. True enough, more and more are in favor of the change.

I still hope...
http://i34.************/210m1i0.jpg
Winner.

Fallen.Angel
16-12-08, 04:49
Well, this makes me happy. Still have hope for Ubisoft and EA though.

ivannnnn
16-12-08, 09:07
Fair enough. :wve:

I hope they add pink stuffs for Lara. :)

tha_mattster
16-12-08, 09:39

I absolutely respect the hard work of guys like Keir and Jay (if they work hard :P ) I do not claim to know anything about the world of business and takeovers etc, or even the technical aspects of game design.

However I am a fan of TR who has often spent money on the TR products. It is in no way an attack against personal employees of EIDOS when I make general comment that, in my opinion, overall TR has not remained competitive. For example I compared their work on TR with Square Enix's work on Final Fantasy. One game stays the same for over a decade and becomes less and less prominent, the other is at the forefront of games technology and keeps renewing the franchise with new innovations.

Well maybe you can say it's a case of 'the grass is greener on the other side' --- but I also play final fantasy games and I know that I don't need patches for them and they're always long, epic, high quality, gaming experiences. I just want that for Tomb Raider :pi:

The answer to this is probably glaringly obvious, but what happens to Eidos employees if the company is bought out? Do they all just get laid off, or does the new publisher still keep some people on board?

I guess these things are being discussed in board meetings now...

Ludicro
16-12-08, 13:18
I'm a bit worried how many people would be happy with Ubisoft taking over the franchise. Have you people seen how much crap theyre flooding the DS and Wii with? Pretty much the only good stuff to come out of Ubisoft these days is anything with the words "Tom Clancy" in front of it.

Think what would happen. They'd release crap like "Imagine: Lara's Outfit Designer", "Marco Bartolli's Family Party Night", and of course, "Natlaz".

If it goes to anyone I'd rather see Valve (published on consoles by EA) pick it up and release it over steam.

MattTR
16-12-08, 13:32
Warner Brothers basically is our US distribution arm now

Interesting, but who was it before, SCi?

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 13:53
Fair enough. :wve:

I hope they add pink stuffs for Lara. :)

no thank u:pi:

woody543
16-12-08, 13:55
If i had to choose it would be Ubisoft, i cant see square enix doing tombraider and i just dont like EA i think their getting to big for their boots. and warner bros oh dear

i still love eidos as it is to be honest although im probably the only one

ive loved the last few tomb raider games :)

Love you eidos

robm_2007
16-12-08, 16:38
Why would any company take over Eidos? is Eidos going bankrupt or something?

tha_mattster
16-12-08, 16:47
Why would any company take over Eidos? is Eidos going bankrupt or something?

:wve: it used to be valued at about 1billion pounds...now...not so much ^^'
http://www.advfn.com/quote_Eidos_LSE_EID.html

MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32578/Square-makes-late-Eidos-bid-but-Warner-in-pole-position) adds a couple of wrinkles to the latest rumors (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=93659) of attempts to acquire Eidos (nťe SCi Entertainment (http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=93699)). Those recent reports named usual suspects Electronic Arts and Ubisoft as prime candidates to pick up the struggling UK company, but MCV now says Warner Bros and Square Enix are also eyeing Eidos. They say "nose-tappers" (Henry Gondorff (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0007481/) and Johnny Hooker (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0007480/)?) think Warner will end up the victor here, noting they already own a 20% share and that Eidos recently lifted a restriction that prohibited Warner Bros. from increasing its stake. They offer a quote from an industry analysts indicating that Square Enix is a dark horse here: "I think Warners [sic] will still win, but it’s very interesting that Square have expressed this late interest. They are clearly looking for Western talent." They also mention the possibility that Eidos could be parted out, suggesting Square Enix may end up picking up individual franchises, offering the example of IO Interactive and the Hitman brand.
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=93777

tha_mattster
16-12-08, 16:55
Time Warner ups Eidos stake to 20pc

Time Warner, the US media giant, has increased its stake in Eidos to nearly 20pc amid mounting speculation that the video games group is a takeover target.

By Amanda Andrews
Last Updated: 11:55AM GMT 16 Dec 2008

There has been speculation in recent weeks that rivals such as Electronic Arts and Ubisoft have been looking to acquire Tomb Raider publisher Eidos, formerly known as SCi Entertainment.

Time Warner, whose Warner Bros division owns the investment, has increased its stake in Eidos by another 10m shares, bringing its total to 52.5m shares, or 19.92pc of the equity.

The company has this year been restructured by new chief executive Phil Rogers, who cut jobs and axed low-performing games.
Speculation that the group could be the subject of a takeover comes as the company's market cap has slumped to £46m from more than £500m about a year ago. Time Warner, which previously owned a stake of about 16pc, has been mooted as a potential bidder as well as Electronic Arts and Ubisoft.

Back in October, the group agreed with Time Warner that it could increase its shareholding sooner than a previous contract had allowed, a move which led to renewed talk of a bid for the UK games publisher.

Under the new rules, Time Warner is able to increase its shareholding to a maximum of 30pc before December 1. Any further share purchases taking it to that level would require it to launch a formal offer for the games group.

The former SCi had difficulties in recent years following delayed and disappointing game releases. However, the group is still Britain's only significant independent computer games group. Eidos has developed video games series such as Hitman, as well as Tomb Raider.

SamReeves
16-12-08, 17:17
Eidos was in trouble before the recession. The day the TR franchise changes hands will be a welcome one.

CrisGer
16-12-08, 17:25
I am very tired of the repeated attempts to belittle a fine company. I have no idea why ppl are wasting their time on such petty tactics but anyone who knows the IT and games industry knows that Eidos is highly respected and a great company with a fine future. I shall spend my time reading more useful threads.

/me shakes head and moves on.

Lee croft
16-12-08, 17:41
i dont care who does tomb raider as long as they dont keep on changeing lara and keep her so that people can tell its her and do good graphics that are worth calling next gen!! and that there are a hell of alot more levels like in the classics eg have like 22 levels not 7

Sir Croft
16-12-08, 20:58
I am very tired of the repeated attempts to belittle a fine company. I have no idea why ppl are wasting their time on such petty tactics but anyone who knows the IT and games industry knows that Eidos is highly respected and a great company with a fine future. I shall spend my time reading more useful threads.

/me shakes head and moves on.

Respected? Great Company with fine future? They were facing some seriouos financial problems before the recession, and now they're facing worse problems. I don't doubt they're aproaching bankruptcy and one of those companies are about to buy it sooner or later.

KC Mraz
16-12-08, 21:00
:wve: it used to be valued at about 1billion pounds.

Wow O.O

Dixie
16-12-08, 21:09
i dont care who does tomb raider as long as they dont keep on changeing lara and keep her so that people can tell its her and do good graphics that are worth calling next gen!! and that there are a hell of alot more levels like in the classics eg have like 22 levels not 7

This has more to do with the developer (CD), not the publisher (Eidos).

Although if WB, or anyone else for that matter, takes over Eidos, they will likely change the series developer.

robm_2007
20-12-08, 16:35
well, i guess it doesnt really matter who publishes it, as long as Crystal Dynamics developes it. at the rate they are going, with the next TR way better then the last, TR9 will be gamegasmic!

irjudd
20-12-08, 16:56
After TR was ripped away from the hands of Core Design, I'm not afraid of management changes. I'll stick with it anyway.