PDA

View Full Version : Boy Allegedly Shot Parents Who Took Halo 3 Away

Philio
16-12-08, 09:45
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/large_16Petric3.jpg

ELYRIA — Daniel Petric was so angry that his father would not allow him to play the violent video game Halo 3 that he killed his mother and shot his father, then tried to make it appear to be a murder-suicide, prosecutors told a Lorain County judge this morning in the boy's murder trial.

Petric, now 17, had sneaked out of his house to buy the game. But his parents caught him as he came in with the game and took it from him. His father, Mark, put the game in a lockbox in the parents' closet. He also kept a 9 mm handgun in the box, according to prosecutors.

Daniel Petric took the gun and the game out of the box, they said.

The case is being tried to a Lorain County Common Pleas judge instead of a jury at the request of Daniel Petric.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/12/large_16Petric1.jpg

Mark Petric, who is a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, testified that before the shooting on Oct. 20, 2007, his then-16-year-old son came into the room with a question:

"Would you guys close your eyes," Daniel Petric asked. "I have a surprise for you."

Mark Petric said he expected a pleasant surprise. The next thing he knew, his head went numb. He had been shot in the head.

Susan Petric, 43, died of gunshot wound to the head.

He said the next thing he remembers is his son shoving the gun in his hand and saying, "Hey Dad, here's your gun. Take it."

Mark Petric broke down on the witness stand as he explained how he survived the shooting. His daughter and her husband came to the house to watch an Indians game. He heard his son telling them they couldn't come in.

"You can't come in," Mark Petric recalled his son saying. "You guys shouldn't come in. Mom and Dad had a big argument."

Mark Petric said all he could do was make a guttural yell for help.

Mark Petric was allowed to visit his son in jail over the past year. He said his son has apologized.

"Dad, I'm so sorry for what I did to Mom, to you and to the family," Daniel Petric said, according to his father. "I'm so glad you are alive."

"You're my son," Mark Petric responded. "You're my boy."

Mark Petric said his son told him he could hardly live with the guilt over what he did.

"He would cry, and I would cry," Mark Petric told the judge.

He said Susan Petric and their son had a very close relationship.

"He was always her little boy," Mark Petric told the judge.

Daniel Petric's lawyers also gave a short opening statement to the judge. They said their client had been under great stress because of a snowboarding accident that resulted in a severe staph infection.

He was homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games.

Ikas90
16-12-08, 09:53
This is shocking.

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 09:54
wow...talk about obsessed over a game O_O hope he gets the help he needs.

Archetype
16-12-08, 09:58
wow..

Really quite amazing to survive a gunshot wound to the head..

Rileigh
16-12-08, 10:04
I had my x-box and PS2 taken away..... :rolleyes:

But seriously, what is wrong with some people in the world?!?!?

badboy70
16-12-08, 10:04
Woah, just for a game ?

That's sad =/

MattTR
16-12-08, 10:22
Wow, little *******. All this over a video game? Poor mother.. :( That's so sad, seriously, video games are corrupting today's society I tell you.

Voni
16-12-08, 10:23
This kid has issues FAR deeper than just having his game taken away from him. I just can't understand how he can be forgiven. How can you attempt to murder your own parents?

@MattTR: I honestly don't think it's the games. There has to be some strange stuff going on in a kid's life to make them resort to that level of violence, video games are the least of it.

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 10:26
People arent realy seein the big picture instead of calling the kid names THINK theres probably something wrong in his brain, which he'll probably have to be treated for. Thank god his father didnt die, and his family is still there for him.It could have been alot worse.

Lara's Backpack
16-12-08, 10:27
That's discusting.

(Id probably shoot *myself* if I had to spend a whole year with those christian nut parents of his though :tea:)

Shark_Blade
16-12-08, 10:30
I think because he was 'homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games' that made him snapped. Who likes to be grounded for a year?

Alex_
16-12-08, 10:34
Sad. :(

Also because it will bring up all the crap about games and violence all over again.

This kid has issues FAR deeper than just having his game taken away from him. [...]

@MattTR: I honestly don't think it's the games. There has to be some strange stuff going on in a kid's life to make them resort to that level of violence, video games are the least of it.

Couldn't agree more. Video games aren't the cause for senseless violence, but - like in this case - they can trigger it, just like any other thing or situation.

Paddy
16-12-08, 10:34
I think because he was 'homebound for a year with nothing to do but watch television and play video games' that made him snapped. Who likes to be grounded for a year?

I respect that post. I like to see it from both perspectives, both the criminal and the victim. In my opinion if they did it more often as opposed to just buying the medias crap then cases would get solved more often.
The kid overeacted in a murderous manner. Deserves to be locked up for life.

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 10:36
I respect that post. I like to see it from both perspectives, both the criminal and the victim. In my opinion if they did it more often as opposed to just buying the medias crap then cases would get solved more often.

No he doesnt theres obviously not something clickin in his brain anyone can see that, this stuff just doesnt happen normaly.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 10:53
No he doesnt theres obviously not something clickin in his brain anyone can see that, this stuff just doesnt happen normaly.

But he's a danger. He may not have been in his right mind, but that's what makes him even more dangerous and why he should not be let back on the streets.

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 10:57
But he's a danger. He may not have been in his right mind, but that's what makes him even more dangerous and why he should not be let back on the streets.

But he doesnt deserve to be locked up for life, should be at a hospital gettin help and when hes better they should release him thats how i see it.

erosan
16-12-08, 11:05
But he doesnt deserve to be locked up for life, should be at a hospital gettin help and when hes better they should release him thats how i see it.

I agree, even though what he did was terrible, he HAS to get help, not get locked up forever, cuz that's not gonna do him any good.
I think just sitting there with tv and video games is just stupid, he should be getting better in that time...

Rileigh
16-12-08, 11:06

Hmm, oh. Not for life, but he still took a life, which is a life sentance is it not?? And I'm sure he would be offered help....

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 11:10
Hmm, oh. Not for life, but he still took a life, which is a life sentance is it not?? And I'm sure he would be offered help....

He didnt take a life his dad survived,, and no its not if theres something mentaly wrong, then they cant do much.

Paddy
16-12-08, 11:11

Exactly.
He did take a life, he killed his mother.

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 11:12
Exactly.
He did take a life, he killed his mother.

he did? Re-reads story..

Fish.
16-12-08, 11:13
Did they find out what would happen to him? Or have they already decided?

Paddy
16-12-08, 11:14
Just read he was 17, I take back the life imprisonment. Still should get help but if he does it again then lock him up for life.

Betal
16-12-08, 11:15
Eeww he looks like a meth addict.

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 11:16
Eeww he looks like a meth addict.

wow nice comment:rolleyes:
youd look like crap to if you went to prison.

Fish.
16-12-08, 11:17
Either way, whatever he got was too good for him. :mad:

rowanlim
16-12-08, 11:28
I think that kid's disturbed, we don't know much about how his life was like prior to that incident & if he was mentally unstable & the like.

I feel sorry for his mom & dad.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 11:28
Just read he was 17, I take back the life imprisonment. Still should get help but if he does it again then lock him up for life.

Why should he not get a life sentance because he is 17?? (disregarding any mental instablities)

Paddy
16-12-08, 11:30
Why should he not get a life sentance because he is 17?? (disregarding any mental instablities)

Yeah I agree but I suppose if he needs mental help I dunno. Im more inclined to give him life, once you take a life you forfeit your rights to it.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 11:33
Yeah I agree but I suppose if he needs mental help I dunno. Im more inclined to give him life, once you take a life you forfeit your rights to it.

It's sad, but just because someone may do something terrible because they don't realise in their own mind that it's a bad thing....they live in this world and it is unfair, but they have to play by the rules. There can't be exceptions, although there are. It's for the safety of themselves and others.
There was a death, his father was very lucky. He may need help, but it is more important that he can not be allowed the chance to do this again.

I don't think that's my personal view.
Just an opinion at this moment in time.

Paddy
16-12-08, 11:36
It's sad, but just because someone may do something terrible because they don't realise in their own mind that it's a bad thing....they live in this world and it is unfair, but they have to play by the rules. There can't be exceptions, although there are. It's for the safety of themselves and others.
There was a death, his father was very lucky. He may need help, but it is more important that he can not be allowed the chance to do this again.

I don't think that's my personal view.
Just an opinion at this moment in time.

True. He murdered his mum, tried to kill the Dad, life imprisonment.
Most will disagree but Im not here to agree or disagree to please anyone or anger anyone.

Betal
16-12-08, 11:38
How the hell can you kill someone who got you to this world and have taken care of you since you were a baby? What a sick motha****a.

rowanlim
16-12-08, 11:53
Hm I wonder if he wasn't really right in the head; he was stuck at home for a yr, right?

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 11:57
Hm I wonder if he wasn't really right in the head; he was stuck at home for a yr, right?

Yup, as ive stated earlier i dont think he was in his right mind, im gonna see if i can find more on this.

mizuno_suisei
16-12-08, 12:33
Woah. At first I assumed he was quite young, but 17 :o He's old enough to make his own decisions which means he's old enough for a pretty tough sentance. Although, Its pretty crazy to shoot your parents over a confiscated game..there is probably definately something wrong upstairs.

Shrantellatessa
16-12-08, 12:39
And he dares to say "I'm sorry" and "I'm glad you're alive"! That guy is mental, really! :cen:

Nemo_91
16-12-08, 12:39
How pathetic...

Dazzy
16-12-08, 13:02
Rather distrubing. I think he should be jailed for atleast a few years. You can't get away with killing your own mum, and nearly killing your dad. Over a game too. That's way too far.

Phlip
16-12-08, 13:58
His parents should have noticed he may have has some sort of anger problem and got him some help.

touchthesky
16-12-08, 14:02
That poor father. How stuck he must feel. On one hand is son killed his wife, but on the other hand he potentially could lose a son and a wife.

I don't condone what this boy did at all, I hope that he learns from what he did, an apology isn't enough.

Smog
16-12-08, 14:15
Why is it that anyone can buy any gun they like in America?

Right to bear arms? Right to get shot in the head, more like.

Minty Mouth
16-12-08, 14:58
If I were the dad, I wouldnt have been able to forgive him. He shot his own Mother!

Lenochka
16-12-08, 15:01
People arent realy seein the big picture instead of calling the kid names THINK theres probably something wrong in his brain, which he'll probably have to be treated for. Thank god his father didnt die, and his family is still there for him.It could have been alot worse.

I agree completely
This kid obviously has some problems and should have them worked out instead of just being thrown away for life or something of that sort. Sure his crime was terrible but I doubt he was in the correct state of mind when it all went down.

Hairhelmet12
16-12-08, 15:03
Oh my god, this is horible, i think i might cry, that poor women being killed by her own son...for what? a video game. horrible...i could never shoot my parents over a video gmae being takein away i would be mad but god, i would never....that little punk...:(:mad:

Angelus
16-12-08, 15:06

And that justifies what he did!?

amiro1989
16-12-08, 15:07
Wow, little *******. All this over a video game? Poor mother.. :( That's so sad, seriously, video games are corrupting today's society I tell you.

It has nothing to do with the video game. Everything is in his mind, he wouldn't have done this if he was "all there"...

Rileigh
16-12-08, 15:08
It has nothing to do with the video game. Everything is in his mind, he wouldn't have done this if he was "all there"...

And til he is, he should be locked away, whether it's in jail, or an assylum....

Azerutan
16-12-08, 15:10
He said Susan Petric and their son had a very close relationship.
obviously lol

ajrich17901
16-12-08, 15:28
I agree completely
This kid obviously has some problems and should have them worked out instead of just being thrown away for life or something of that sort. Sure his crime was terrible but I doubt he was in the correct state of mind when it all went down.

Glad someone sees were im coming from:)

TRhalloween
16-12-08, 15:30

I wouldn't shoot my mum if I had all my TR games taken away!
It's definitely his problem. I think he needs help;I'm not one of those "OMG HE SHUD BE LOCKED IN A GAS CHAMBER AND TORCHURED!!!:mad::mad::mad:" people.

da tomb raider!
16-12-08, 15:34
OMG HE SHUD BE LOCKED IN A GAS CHAMBER AND TORCHURED!!!:mad::mad::mad:

TRhalloween
16-12-08, 15:36
OMG HE SHUD BE LOCKED IN A GAS CHAMBER AND TORCHURED!!!:mad::mad::mad:

:vlol:
So we disagree with just about everything now?

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 15:37
video games are corrupting today's society I tell you.Well then what are you doing here? :confused:

Right to bear arms? Right to get shot in the head, more like.It was the father's gun, not the boy's. You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun.

Right to self defense.

I can't believe some people actually believe this kid shouldn't be sent to jail. Anger problem or no anger problem, killing somebody is wrong and you should be put in jail for it.

Fallen.Angel
16-12-08, 15:57
I agree, he should definitely get some kind of punishment. He took a life, worse yet.. his own mother's.

MattTR
16-12-08, 16:00

That's before I read the article, now I can clearly see there was some sort of mental disorder going on there.

Smog
16-12-08, 16:04
It was the father's gun, not the boy's. You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun.

Well obviously, but it didn't make much of a difference in the end. The more widely you legalise guns, the more people get their hands on them and consequently the more people end up dead. If gun laws were stricter then his mother would most likely still be alive, no matter how ****ed up in the head he was.

interstellardave
16-12-08, 16:06
And he dares to say "I'm sorry" and "I'm glad you're alive"! That guy is mental, really! :cen:

Well, what else can he or should he say? It may not be good enough, but it's the only right thing for him to say or feel about it.

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 16:06
Well obviously, but it didn't make much of a difference in the end. The more widely you legalise guns, the more people get their hands on them and consequently the more people end up dead. If gun laws were stricter then his mother would most likely still be alive, no matter how ****ed up in the head he was.Banning guns only takes guns away from the law abiding citizens, not the criminals.

Besides, if he really wanted to kill his parents (which he obviously did) then he would've used something else. People act like guns are the only things used in murders.

Draco
16-12-08, 16:10
This is shocking.

Not really.

wow...talk about obsessed over a game O_O hope he gets the help he needs.

He wasn't obsessed about the game...he probably never even got a chance to play it.

wow..

Really quite amazing to survive a gunshot wound to the head..

While the odds are not in favor of it, certain parts of the brain and the head in general are not fatal wounds when shot through. Infact most headshot incurred deaths are from loss of blood moreso than the actual damage.

Woah, just for a game ?

I'm certain the game was merely the catalyst...the game being what it is is probably not a factor.

Did you know that the most violent video games are based on historical and present reality?

Mental Awareness should never be a defense for ones actions.

Anyone forced to live at home with their parents and never go anywhere or do anything is bound to snap.

Couldn't agree more. Video games aren't the cause for senseless violence, but - like in this case - they can trigger it, just like any other thing or situation.

The trigger in this case was most probably the act of confiscation, not what was confiscated.

Deserves to be put to death.

Still not a valid reason to get away with premeditated murder.

Exactly, anyone has the potential to be a murderer, so why risk putting proven murderers back into the general public?

I think all of his issues could be solved with his back against the wall facing down 4 rifleman.

His age should have zero impact on the consequences.

Either way, whatever he got was too good for him. :mad:

If he still breathes, justice was not served.

He may have had an honest change of heart, but that doesn't seem likely. Premeditation precludes that.

Rather distrubing. I think he should be jailed for atleast a few years. You can't get away with killing your own mum, and nearly killing your dad. Over a game too. That's way too far.

I'm sure it wasn't just over the game. However a mere light punishment is still not warranted.

His parents should have noticed he may have has some sort of anger problem and got him some help.

This sounds more like the 'quiet son' style anger. You build it up slowly over a long period of time until you reach the point at which you lose control of it and you must do something to alleviate it. I also have this type of anger.

Right to bear arms? Right to get shot in the head, more like.

Not just anyone can buy a gun legally in America. And even then there are a lot of guns you can't buy.

I like my 'Right to get shot in the head' more than I like your Right to sit down and beg like a dog for robbers not to kill you when they break into your home.

I agree completely

And if he was in the correct state of mind...?

I can't believe some people actually believe this kid shouldn't be sent to jail. Anger problem or no anger problem, killing somebody is wrong and you should be put in jail for it.

Jail awaiting his death sentence is what he should get.

Draco
16-12-08, 16:11
Well obviously, but it didn't make much of a difference in the end. The more widely you legalise guns, the more people get their hands on them and consequently the more people end up dead. If gun laws were stricter then his mother would most likely still be alive, no matter how ****ed up in the head he was.

Considering the method he used to make his parent vulnerable, a sword would have been more effective than a gun.

Smog
16-12-08, 16:12
Banning guns only takes guns away from the law abiding citizens, not the criminals.

Besides, if he really wanted to kill his parents (which he obviously did) then he would've used something else. People act like guns are the only things used in murders.

True, but the fewer guns there are around, the fewer people end up dead.

Besides, the gun that was used in this case belonged to a law-abiding citizen, didn't it? Not the most watertight argument in the world.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 16:12
Banning guns only takes guns away from the law abiding citizens, not the criminals.

Well, the only thing they're really good for is shooting, hurting, killing.

I really don't understand the American view "give more people guns"

He may have found something else, but at least his mother would have had a fighting chance!!

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 16:16
He may have found something else, but at least his mother would have had a fighting chance!!Nope. As Draco said, a sword would've done the job. I'd rather get shot in the head and die instantly than get stabbed and die a slow painful death.

True, but the fewer guns there are around, the fewer people end up dead.

Besides, the gun that was used in this case belonged to a law-abiding citizen, didn't it? Not the most watertight argument in the world.Not neccessarily. The fewer nutjobs there are around, the fewer people end up dead.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 16:18
Nope. As Draco said, a sword would've done the job. I'd rather get shot in the head and die instantly than get stabbed and die a slow painful death.

*bang* *bang*
Both dead. Well, dad got lucky, didn't he.
Whereas if one was stabbed, the other would have been quickly alerted.

interstellardave
16-12-08, 16:23
Well, the only thing they're really good for is shooting, hurting, killing.

I really don't understand the American view "give more people guns"

He may have found something else, but at least his mother would have had a fighting chance!!

Guns are the great equalizer. When only criminals have guns--and maybe police who can only show up after you're dead--you have no chance to defend yourself; no chance to deter someone from entering your house and doing who knows what to you and your family. Stories like this are hyped all the time, you don't hear about all the crimes prevented because potential victims are armed... typically there is no story there because if criminals know the household likely has a gun they won't bother.

People kill, not guns... it remains true no matter how tired people get of hearing it. Otherwise you can say cars kill--because surely there are countless more incidents of innocent people killed in car accidents. As long as law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms, an old woman can chase off the man twice her size if she has a gun and is willing to use it in the defense of herself and her home. She, and those like her have very little chance otherwise.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 16:33
Guns are the great equalizer. When only criminals have guns--and maybe ..........has a gun and is willing to use it in the defense of herself and her home. She, and those like her have very little chance otherwise.

Oh, better not get started on cars....:whi:

I hear what your saying, but I disagree with it. I disagree with the morals.

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 16:35
*bang* *bang*
Both dead. Well, dad got lucky, didn't he.
Whereas if one was stabbed, the other would have been quickly alerted.*stab* *stab* Both dead.

Guns are the great equalizer. When only criminals have guns--and maybe police who can only show up after you're dead--you have no chance to defend yourself; no chance to deter someone from entering your house and doing who knows what to you and your family. Stories like this are hyped all the time, you don't hear about all the crimes prevented because potential victims are armed... typically there is no story there because if criminals know the household likely has a gun they won't bother.

People kill, not guns... it remains true no matter how tired people get of hearing it. Otherwise you can say cars kill--because surely there are countless more incidents of innocent people killed in car accidents. As long as law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms, an old woman can chase off the man twice her size if she has a gun and is willing to use it in the defense of herself and her home. She, and those like her have very little chance otherwise.:tmb:

igonge
16-12-08, 16:38
He shot his parents, just because they wouldn't let him play a game. Disgusting.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 16:39
*stab* *stab* Both dead.

Tsk, what do you actually know of knife crimes??

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 16:41
Tsk, what do you actually know of knife crimes??A lot. They're in the news a lot over here.

x2crazyidiot
16-12-08, 16:44
god, I'm just shocked at the whole situation....

glad that his dad survived! A shot to the head and he survived?! God, is that even possible?

Rileigh
16-12-08, 16:47
A lot. They're in the news a lot over here.

Happens down the street over here.

You think a gun in every household would reduce crime??

The problem is the teaching, when to use it, how to use it as a deterrent (if that's the right word)
And yes, like cars, when in the hands of an irresponsible user.

So many knife crimes, would giving them guns make it better??

interstellardave
Oh, better not get started on cars....:whi:

I hear what your saying, but I disagree with it. I disagree with the morals.

How is it immoral to defend onself? The police can't do it unless they just happen to be there. Who else will, then? And self-defense training does no good against a gun--unless you're in close quarters, I guess.

TRUE STORY:

I was once getting out of my car and the parking lot was pretty deserted... I saw these 3 young guys heading straight for me. I was a little alarmed but didn't make the assumption they were up to no good... still, I reached back into the car to get something I left on the passenger seat. Immediately upon reaching back in the car those guys turned and bolted!

See... they were up to something and they could only have assumed I was reaching into the car for a gun. Just the thought that I could have a gun deterred them. If I hadn't lucked out there they might have beat the crap out of me, stabbed me, or shot me themselves... took my money and left me to die. It would not have been a moral issue for them...

tomblover
They have to say it's a violent game. :rolleyes:

The game's not wrong, that guy is. In his head.

domina
16-12-08, 16:48

That's true. Cabin fever can make you go nuts, but that's just an explanation for the behavior, not a justification. Plenty of people have to deal with similar situations but they don't commit matricide.

mau3genius
16-12-08, 16:48
My god :yik:
A really nasty event. The kid should be put in jail for a while.
At the very least, 'till he really thinks about how ****ed up is what he did.

ivannnnn
16-12-08, 16:49
I'd rather sacrifice myself for love rather than for games....how foolish of them...:( :o :)

-DaNnEe..
16-12-08, 16:50
Oh dear... Over a video game? Pathetic. It's disgusting.

Smog
16-12-08, 16:50
People kill, not guns... it remains true no matter how tired people get of hearing it. Otherwise you can say cars kill--because surely there are countless more incidents of innocent people killed in car accidents. As long as law-abiding citizens have the right to bear arms, an old woman can chase off the man twice her size if she has a gun and is willing to use it in the defense of herself and her home. She, and those like her have very little chance otherwise.

But people don't buy cars to run other people down. The amount of gun crime in America is a direct result of the law being so lax. If it weren't so easy for anyone to buy a firearm, do you really think there'd be so many criminals running around with them? Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against giving people the right to defend themselves. In an ideal world, law-abiding citizens chase off nasty bad guys and everyone's happy. But it doesn't work like that; people are irresponsible, idiotic and occassional crazy. Is it okay for the Virginia Tech massacre and other such atrocities to take place simply because people should have a right to defend their homes through lethal force? Well I don't think so. And I just don't get this "I've got a gun so nobody can hurt me" mentality.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 16:53
How is it immoral to defend onself? The police can't do it unless they just happen to be there. Who else will, then? And self-defense training does no good against a gun--unless you're in close quarters, I guess.
... took my money and left me to die. It would not have been a moral issue for them...

Lucky.

Sure, but here, if you had a gun you would be arrested!!

It's not immoral to defend yourself. Not even to step in and defend someone else, I don't think.
Just.....a gun represents the ability to kill.. in anyone's hands? That is not right.

But people don't buy cars to run other people down. The amount of gun crime in America is a direct result of the law being so lax. If it weren't so easy for anyone to buy a firearm, do you really think there'd be so many criminals running around with them? Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against giving people the right to defend themselves. In an ideal world, law-abiding citizens chase off nasty bad guys and everyone's happy. But it doesn't work like that; people are irresponsible, idiotic and occassional crazy. Is it okay for the Virginia Tech massacre and other such atrocities to take place simply because people should have a right to defend their homes through lethal force? Well I don't think so. And I just don't get this "I've got a gun so nobody can hurt me" mentality.

Yes, said far better than my crappy attempt.

interstellardave
16-12-08, 16:54
But people don't buy cars to run other people down. The amount of gun crime in America is a direct result of the law being so lax. If it weren't so easy for anyone to buy a firearm, do you really think there'd be so many criminals running around with them? In an ideal world, law-abiding citizens chase off nasty bad guys and everyone's happy. But it doesn't work like that; people are irresponsible, idiotic and occassional crazy. Is it okay for the Virginia Tech massacre and other such atrocities to take place simply because people should have a right to defend their homes through lethal force? Well I don't think so. And I just don't get this "I''ve got a gun so nobody can hurt me" mentality.

Well, in point of fact, most gun deaths are the result of criminals killing other criminals, drug deals gone bad, rival gangs, etc... and that's something I take no account of... let them kill themselves. That inflates the statistics greatly, however. Plus crime is highest in all the areas where gun laws are strictest.

Also, these massacres occur because no-one pays attention to the people in their lives anymore. In every case the parents had no idea--or turned a blind eye to--the troubles of their children. That's societies real problem right there. Concentrating on guns or any other weapons avoids the real issue... why are so many young people so violent?

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 16:57
You think a gun in every household would reduce crime??I think a gun in every law abiding citizens home would reduce crime.

Criminals can always get guns illegally. Tightening gun laws only stops the citizens who want them for self defense from getting them.

Smog
16-12-08, 16:58
Also, these massacres occur because no-one pays attention to the people in their lives anymore. In every case the parents had no idea--or turned a blind eye to--the troubles of their children. That's societies real problem right there. Concentrating on guns or any other weapons avoids the real issue... why are so many young people so violent?

This is true, but the fact still stands that without guns, nobody gets killed, no matter how neglected and socially distraught the individual in question is. You try and go on a massacre with a pen or a pointy stick.

domina
16-12-08, 17:01
This is true, but the fact still stands that without guns, nobody gets killed, no matter how neglected and socially distraught the individual in question is. You try and go on a massacre with a pen or a pointy stick.

No. There are plenty of ways to harm and kill your fellow man without guns; humans have been doing it for thousands of years.

interstellardave
16-12-08, 17:01

Nobody gets killed? Do you not realize how many domestic crimes occur with knives? You can quite easily be killed with a knife, you know. That kid could have sliced his parents knecks before they knew it. You're talking about massacres--and, even as overexposed as they are, massacres are still quite rare.

Also, gunshots are usually not fatal. Most of these people don't know how to shoot a gun and only wound their targets. Even in such close quarters his dad survived...

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 17:03
This is true, but the fact still stands that without guns, nobody gets killed, no matter how neglected and socially distraught the individual in question is. You try and go on a massacre with a pen or a pointy stick.By that logic then, every single murder ever committed has been a shooting.

There are other things to kill people with. Personally I think someone still would've wound up dead, even if there was no gun in the house. The boy could've just slit their throats or stabbed them in the heart.

iamlaracroft
16-12-08, 17:05
I think a gun in every law abiding citizens home would reduce crime.

But any law-abiding citizen can become a law-breaking citizen at any moment. How does your plan account for that?
Hope that those who abide the law now, will forever remain law-abiding?

Criminals were law-abiding citizens before they broke the law.
Where is the line drawn?

interstellardave
16-12-08, 17:09
But any law-abiding citizen can become a law-breaking citizen at any moment. How does your plan account for that?
Hope that those who abide the law now, will forever remain law-abiding?

Criminals were law-abiding citizens before they broke the law.
Where is the line drawn?

Wow... why not advocate thought crime then? Let's start profiling people who may turn to crime?!

But, in answer to the question, if one turns to crime one could easily get an illegal gun, so it doesn't matter much either way in that case.

Smog
16-12-08, 17:12
By that logic then, every single murder ever committed has been a shooting.

There are other things to kill people with. Personally I think someone still would've wound up dead, even if there was no gun in the house. The boy could've just slit their throats or stabbed them in the heart.

You really think that? A kitchen knife or any other domestic "weapon" is not the same as a gun. A gun has one purpose; to harm people. You made a point earlier that putting guns in only the hands of responsible citizens is a good idea and I agree - in theory. This family was law-abiding but that didn't stop their gun being used to destructive ends. You can't just say "everyone has the right to defend themselves" and them just throw guns at the situation. It doesn't solve anything. It just makes things worse. People are irresponsible idiots and not everyone locks their gun securely away in a safe. And I think I'd rather not go on discussing this, it seems that neither of us are going to be dissuaded. Seems we're just gonna have to stick to our guns. Ba-dum tish. :rolleyes:

Minty Mouth
16-12-08, 17:14
Not really.

Deserves to be put to death.

The fact that you think this is acceptable in-validates everything else you wrote in my mind.

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 17:34
You really think that? A kitchen knife or any other domestic "weapon" is not the same as a gun. A gun has one purpose; to harm people. You made a point earlier that putting guns in only the hands of responsible citizens is a good idea and I agree - in theory. This family was law-abiding but that didn't stop their gun being used to destructive ends. You can't just say "everyone has the right to defend themselves" and them just throw guns at the situation. It doesn't solve anything. It just makes things worse. People are irresponsible idiots and not everyone locks their gun securely away in a safe. And I think I'd rather not go on discussing this, it seems that neither of us are going to be dissuaded. Seems we're just gonna have to stick to our guns. Ba-dum tish. :rolleyes:Yes, I do. Knives were originally designed for killing, so it's exactly the same. Yes, now knives are mainly used for different things but the same goes for guns. Guns are often used for target practice.

Did you not read what Dave said? The cities with high crime often have strict gun control laws. Shocking? Not really. It's simple logic.

Putting strict controls on guns doesn't stop criminals from getting them. Criminals will always have guns. However, gun control means that less law-abiding citizens will be able to defend themselves against criminals, therefore, more deaths.

Just look at this

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-death-rate-per-100-000

District of Columbia has the strictest gun control laws in the United States yet has the highest firearm death rate in America.

Minty Mouth
16-12-08, 17:57
Yes, I do. Knives were originally designed for killing, so it's exactly the same. Yes, now knives are mainly used for different things but the same goes for guns. Guns are often used for target practice.

I lol'd

Giving more people guns wont solve anything. More guns=more death. Thats all you need to know. What do you need a gun for? Killing. What else can you use a gun for? Nothing. The only use for a gun is to kill, therefore the more people with access to them, the more people are going to use them for their one and only purpose.

Guns for everyone = bad idea.

interstellardave
16-12-08, 18:01
I lol'd

Giving more people guns wont solve anything. More guns=more death. Thats all you need to know. What do you need a gun for? Killing. What else can you use a gun for? Nothing. The only use for a gun is to kill, therefore the more people with access to them, the more people are going to use them for their one and only purpose.

Guns for everyone = bad idea.

Disarm your military then. Self-defense, after all, is not reason enough, so get rid of it. Surely other nations will follow your example and leave you alone, since you're defenseless, just as criminals will when they sense a defenseless populace?

Before you say "it's not the same thing" just remember that it is. It's human nature--just as you view it--blown up to national proportions rather than individuals.

AODdigger
16-12-08, 18:04
Society is ill. And I only wait for all things in this sick world to end...

Minty Mouth
16-12-08, 18:05
Disarm your military then. Self-defense, after all, is not reason enough, so get rid of it. Surely other nations will follow your example and leave you alone, since you're defenseless, just as criminals will when they sense a defenseless populace?

Before you say "it's not the same thing" just remember that it is. It's human nature--just as you view it--blown up to national proportions rather than individuals.

If it were up to me. I would disarm the military. I would disarm the military in every country. But its not up to me? Is it?

Anyway, I hate to say it, but it is different. The military is controlled by sane, intelligent people, who, if they have some sort of crisis of sanity, will be questioned by another. Not everyone in the world who would have access to a gun in the hypothesized situation would be such a person, would they?

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 18:07
I lol'd

Guns for everyone = bad idea.What a strange thing to laugh at.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_sports

Guns can be used for self-defense and they don't just kill. They can be used to quickly neutralize an attacker without killing them.

I agree, giving everybody guns is a bad idea. I never said it wasn't.

If it were up to me. I would disarm the military. I would disarm the military in every country. But its not up to me? Is it?That's still a bad idea.

Do you know who took out the terrorists in Mumbai a couple of weeks ago? The military. There will always be guns around. Disarming the nations military wont do any good. In an ideal world guns wouldn't exist and nobody would want to kill anyone. However, we don't live in a perfect world.

Minty Mouth
16-12-08, 18:11
What a strange thing to laugh at.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_sports

Guns can be used for self-defense and they don't just kill. They can be used to quickly neutralize an attacker without killing them.

I havent read through that entire page, but I see no reason why such games cant be played with paint balls, or something non lethal. (Maybe they are, but if that is the case then they are hardly the kind of guns we are talking about)

But that is what you were arguing, right?

Do you know who took out the terrorists in Mumbai a couple of weeks ago? The military. There will always be guns around. Disarming the nations military wont do any good. In an ideal world guns wouldn't exist and nobody would want to kill anyone. However, we don't live in a perfect world.

You could still have special police teams etc. I see no reason why they couldnt deal with it. Anyway, with no military it would become alot harder to get ahold of weapons anyway, (For Terrorists etc) if most of the gun production was ceased?

Mad Tony
16-12-08, 18:14
I havent read through that entire page, but I see no reason why such games cant be played with paint balls, or something non lethal. (Maybe they are, but if that is the case then they are hardly the kind of guns we are talking about)

But that is what you were arguing, right?What is your problem with shooting at targets?

No, I wasn't. What made you think that? :confused:

You could still have special police teams etc. I see no reason why they couldnt deal with it. Anyway, with no military it would become alot harder to get ahold of weapons anyway, (For Terrorists etc) if most of the gun production was ceased?Doesn't matter if gun production is ceased. There are enough guns floating around there for terrorists and criminals to get their hands of them.

interstellardave
16-12-08, 18:14
If it were up to me. I would disarm the military. I would disarm the military in every country. But its not up to me? Is it?

Anyway, I hate to say it, but it is different. The military is controlled by sane, intelligent people, who, if they have some sort of crisis of sanity, will be questioned by another. Not everyone in the world who would have access to a gun in the hypothesized situation would be such a person, would they?

See, again, most people are sane and intelligent. You don't give the average citizen credit. Stories like the ones where someone gets shot by accident or by someone going off the deep end are far outweighed by all the non-stories out there. All those people who have a weapon in their home and keep it from the kids and know how to use it, and only intend to use it when/if they must. Those people are responsible and should have the right to defend themselves (and their children, btw) if the situation ever arises.

I think guns should be legal to own--but I think there should be a lot you have to do to get one legally too. There should be mandatory gun safety training for the whole family--kids should learn, at the very least, that guns are not to be played with in any way--just like we teach them not to touch the stove; it's not that hard to do responsibly. Responsibility is the key. Background checks are necessary but I do think gun ownership should be viewed as something that has to be treated with seriousness and respect. Perhaps that would cut down on the unfortunate incidents that sometimes occur.

Rileigh
16-12-08, 18:18
See, again, most people are sane and intelligent. You don't give the average citizen credit. Stories like the ones where someone .....that has to be treated with seriousness and respect. Perhaps that would cut down on the unfortunate incidents that sometimes occur.

I think drugs shold be legalised. The cases where people go off the end are far outweighted by the ones where people take them to get a high and use them safely with friends and with someone who is going to be watching rather than joining in just in case.

interstellardave
16-12-08, 18:20
I think drugs shold be legalised. The cases where people go off the end are far outweighted by the ones where people take them to get a high and use them safely with friends and with someone who is going to be watching rather than joining in just in case.

Well, alcohol is legal... if you ask me marijuana should certainly be legal by the standards we're talking about. You'd have to go drug by drug though, because some drugs change the user in definite, measurable ways--and then individual choice is gone.

I realize you were being facetious, and didn't expect me to partially agree, LOL... :p

Rileigh
16-12-08, 18:21
Well, alcohol is legal... if you ask me marijuana should certainly be legal by the standards we're talking about. You'd have to go drug by drug though...

I realize you were being facetious, and didn't expect me to partially agree, LOL... :p

Well :p Half and half. Yes, drug by drug. Would make things so much easier, and it's less to worry about when friends go off; less secret....

interstellardave
16-12-08, 18:23
Just for the record, I say NONE of this because of personal experience or emotions... my views are based on my intellectual analysis of these issues...

For instance, I don't drink, I don't smoke marijuana or use any drugs, nor have I ever owned a gun! :D

Rileigh
16-12-08, 18:25
Just for the record, I say NONE of this because of personal experience or emotions... my views are based on my intellectual analysis of these issues...

For instance, I don't drink, I don't smoke marijuana or use any drugs, nor have I ever owned a gun! :D

And mine are based on intellectual analysis and first hand observation with a little second hand thrown in as well :(:(

interstellardave
16-12-08, 18:29
And mine are based on intellectual analysis and first hand observation with a little second hand thrown in as well :(:(

No, I wasn't accusing you of anything... I just thought people would assume I'm for these things because I do them! It's a natural assumption people sometimes make. ;)

konichi-wa
16-12-08, 18:51
Thats ridiculous. I can't understand going to that extreme, not even close.

Love2Raid
16-12-08, 19:11
OMG so SHOCKING.....................:yik:

Please don't blame the gaming industry (not talking to any of you guys of course ;)).
This boy has a serious psychiatric disorder, it's the only explanation for committting such a horrific crime. If it wasn't for the game, then something else would have caused him to 'snap'.

I hope he gets some good treatment!

Trigger_happy
16-12-08, 19:35
Games are just a scapegoat for the media, instead of blaming the people who actually do the things. That boy needs help, and I'm sure that he would have done that horrible thing anyway, about anything, not just having his game taken away.

If I ever commit a crime and get caught, I'm gonna say that something innocent, like lollipops, drove me to do it. Then watch the media attack sweets are life-wreckers.

God Horus
16-12-08, 19:37
I'm shocked. :eek:

Disgusting.

ShadyCroft
16-12-08, 19:38
That's really sad. I really hope they pull themselves together, get help and get over it soon to better days.

*laralover*
16-12-08, 19:43
Shocking..:(