PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of Personal Privcy?

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 00:57
Ok, I've gotten my phone taken away in school by my advisor he went through my text messeges for no reason at all, I went to the office to pick it up and got yelled, and threated to get kicked out of school because my girlfriend wants to have sex.

irjudd
17-12-08, 00:59
If you go to a totalitarian school you should have your phone locked with a security code. Sorry but I think you lose here.

Besides, who sets up booty calls via text message?

MattTR
17-12-08, 01:01
Ok, I've gotten my phone taken away in school by my advisor he went through my text messeges for no reason at all, I went to the office to pick it up and got yelled, and threated to get kicked out of school because my girlfriend wants to have sex.

Wow, that's messed up.. I wouldn't ever give my phone away, even if I got caught with it. I remember when I was in high school I was texting AFTER school had ended and some jerk teacher went to grab it out of my hand, I moved it away from him and he ripped my student i.d. off my neck (we had to wear identification cards in high school), anyways it's wrong what some people will do, but NEVER will I give my phone, it's my personal business and property and no one has a right to take it.

Not to mention I wouldn't ask anyone for sex over text messages. :p

Ikas90
17-12-08, 01:02
Lmao. Sorry, but that sounds hilarious.

It's invasion of privacy of course. What right do they have to snoop into your relationship? I'm a strong believer in doing what you feel is right with whom you love, as long as the other person agrees aswell. Unfortunately, if you're too young, you can't do anything about it. The teacher can legally get you into trouble.

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 01:06
im 17 and I just feel like my rights have been robbed from me. My mom agrees and my friends agree, so can I sue them for invasion of my personal pricicys with out the means?

mau3genius
17-12-08, 01:11

Wow, that's messed up.. I wouldn't ever give my phone away, even if I got caught with it. I remember when I was in high school I was texting AFTER school had ended and some jerk teacher went to grab it out of my hand, I moved it away from him and he ripped my student i.d. off my neck (we had to wear identification cards in high school), anyways it's wrong what some people will do, but NEVER will I give my phone, it's my personal business and property and no one has a right to take it.

Why teachers seam to be so aggressive these days? :confused:
And, Scorpio, it's your privacy. Although I do agree with MattTR that discussing the possibility of getting laid by text messages isn't exactly classy/prudent, there was absolutely no need (and no excuse. It's not like you're some adolescent terrorist that is planning to put a bomb in the school) to go through your personal stuff just like that.

But, I'm assuming the sex part didn't have anything to do with school, right? Please don't tell me your girlfriend is your maths teacher :p

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 01:13
Why teachers seam to be so aggressive these days? :confused:
And, Scorpio, it's your privacy. Although I do agree with MattTR that discussing the possibility of getting laid by text messages isn't exactly classy/prudent, there was absolutely no need (and no excuse. It's not like you're some adolescent terrorist that is planning to put a bomb in the school) to go through your personal stuff just like that.

But, I'm assuming the sex part didn't have anything to do with school, right? Please don't tell me your girlfriend is your maths teacher :p

eww and the messege was from before school started

mau3genius
17-12-08, 01:25
Hey you never know :p I was just asking :p

eww and the messege was from before school started

Before, after, while at school. It's still private!
I don't think suing (sp?) them would be a good idea. It's really complicated altogether and It would take a long time (I think)
But, what you have to do is complain with the School authorities and bring your mother (or an adult with you, surely they won't pay attention otherwise) and see the possibility of some sort of punishment for the advisor who took your phone and checked it.

Feather Duster
17-12-08, 01:29
Aww jeez. Teachers think they're some kind of kings/queens huh?

If they went through my phone, I would tell them off, then walk into their office and shovel through their filing cabinits or search their bags for crack ;)

:p

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 01:36
Ya most deffently, I think they seem to act like they are above the laws. And still even if your a student you are still a US citzen and still should have your cival rights.

irjudd
17-12-08, 01:52
A lawsuit would cost you too much money in the end to be worth it.

Benguitar
17-12-08, 01:53
Get it back, secure it with a security code. ;) :hug:

~Ben

woody543
17-12-08, 01:55
they wont be able to kick you out for it because they had no right

i know in my school, if someone found out someone elses phone had been taken they start texting stuff to get them in trouble, you could use that excuse

oocladableeblah
17-12-08, 02:05
My civics teacher says this all the time if you sue your school you are sueing yourself because you pay taxes and that goes towards schools.
Yes it is an invasion of privacy, but you shouldn't have been texting during class wait for lunch for that or after school.

Teachers at my school don't really enforce it except for those certain ones, they usually just tell you to put it away.

deamonguardian
17-12-08, 02:06
god, i would be so ****ed then agian i don't have a phone so it won't happen to me:ton: jks

get som secur' and delete texts like that

ivannnnn
17-12-08, 02:07

Nasty. :) :)

If she wanted to :cen:, she should have met you.;)

Lara's Backpack
17-12-08, 04:15
I have a worse story, I once had my phone taken off me personally by the deputy headmaster whilst sending a text to my friend about my being gay.

I tend to leave that little moment way back in the dark abyss of bad memories. :cln:

amiro1989
17-12-08, 04:27
This is R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S. They have nothing to do in your personnal life.

Shrantellatessa
17-12-08, 04:31
If it's "personal privacy" why are you publicly talking about the details in a forum visited by thousands of ppl a day? ;)

Admles
17-12-08, 04:38
It is an invasion of personal privacy.

However a lawsuit would have about a 5% chance of success.

That said, why do you have your phone out at school anyway?

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 04:42
Well, because we can have our phones out during advisory and study hall

Fallen.Angel
17-12-08, 05:00
I think that it's most definitely an invasion of privacy. I can understand that if you had the cell phone out during a class - for them to take it away until the end of the period, or until the end of the day (that's what happened at my school). But for them to personally snoop around in your business and to read the text messages, that's jut not right and shouldn't be tolerated.

rowanlim
17-12-08, 06:09
It's an invasion of privacy. Confiscating the phone doesn't grant the right to view the content. I agree that suing wouldn't be worth it. Just take it as a bump in the road & put a security code on it or something.

domina
17-12-08, 06:55
Your advisor was wrong to look at your text messages and unless the school is private OR you and your GF having sex is somehow related to the school rules (like doing it on campus), that can't be held against you as a student. Although I'm curious to know the entire situation surrounding the confiscation of your cellphone. That could also play a role in why he was looking through your text messages.

Nevertheless, don't use your damn phone in school! I don't know why students feel that they have some sort of entitlement to use their cellphones inspite of certain school rules.

Shark_Blade
17-12-08, 07:17
Your teacher has breach your right of privacy. He can confiscate your phone during school time but he has no right to view the content. Absolutely, not! I don't think teachers will be reasonable enough to hear your argument after that kind of action, so if it was me, I'll get back that cell phone, by any means necessary.

domina
17-12-08, 07:29
^ School rules vary on how long personal possessions can be held. In my schools, if a kid really messed up, he/she could lose his/her belongings until the last day of school. Although that usually happened with CD players and the like; I doubt they'd keep a cell phone for so long. That would send parents into a frenzy.

Shark_Blade
17-12-08, 07:53
Maybe you're right. I'm fine if they release it sooner or later, but if the teacher only release the phone when parents are involved, then it'll more troublesome than ever.

Let me share one of my story:

Once I broke into the staff office at school during night time through the sliding mirror at the service desk (The doors were all locked obviously). It's like a pharmacist counter with the sliding mirror where you pass money and medicine through it. Yeah, weird my school has it but it's great because no one thought anyone could go through there. I squeezed through it and entered the room. I carry on with what I need, and I leave no fingerprints, no mark of any sort and leave no evidence. I got someone to look out from the outside to warn me if there's trouble though. After it's done we both leave the scene, lucky nothing bad happened.

Desperate time calls for desperate measure.

woody543
17-12-08, 10:24
i think the parents have to be informed, and agree about any prolonged period time.

Most teachers in my school dont like keeping phones due to the fact if they loose them or they get stollen under their care they would have to cough up. I wouldnt go as far as sueing but they have no right to kick you out

Doby
17-12-08, 11:25
Once a kid in my sisters class had a picture of a naked girl on his background and he got threatened to be suspended.

woody543
17-12-08, 11:36
i think in that case it depends wether he was showing it too other class members, if so they can suspend him

Trigger_happy
17-12-08, 11:41
I would definitely say something to the school. That teacher has no right to look through your text messages and then threaten you like that: your personal life is your business.

Paddy
17-12-08, 11:47
Someone should start a revolution for anarchists over there :D :p
Seriously though thats whacked for teachers to go through your private ****.
No right to do it.

Doby
17-12-08, 11:57
The kid was using his cellphone in class and the teacher caught him and she started looking through his phone.

Paddy
17-12-08, 12:03
Can take the phone but shouldnt be allowed to look at the contents.
Its none of their business.

x2crazyidiot
17-12-08, 12:07
if you're too young, you can't do anything about it. The teacher can legally get you into trouble.

this would be the main concern I'm afraid.
It is a great invasion of personal property, and is quite frankly ridiculous. But if you are under-age, and there is evidence that you either are or were planning to have sex, you can get into trouble.

This is why all teachers should be hated!! :mad::ton:

Voni
17-12-08, 12:42
Quite frankly, this teacher is an idiot. If they felt you had your phone out when you shouldn't have, then fine, it's prefectly ok for them to confiscate it. But they should NEVER, EVER have looked through it. They're an idiot because this is going to cause all sorts of trouble for them. Do they have no sense?!

I wouldn't sue, but I would complain (with an adult present) to your headteacher. No matter what was in your messages, they shouldn't have read it, full stop.

touchthesky
17-12-08, 12:45
I agree with Voni.

Don't get into anything too rash..I'd speak to the head-teacher or another teacher that you trust for now.

You shouldn't have your phone out in class but the teacher should not read through your phone either.

Foamy
17-12-08, 13:10
Thats just shocking. As everyone says, maybe you shoukdn't have had it out, i dunno, wasn't there. But for them to go through it is completely disgusting. You're totally entitled to a private life, no matter what that may be. It's not affecting them thus giving them no right to threaten you.

Complain dude. Thats just bull:cen:

lara_rocks
17-12-08, 14:06
Some teachers are so nosy because they think they have the right to be. Pfft, I'd sue them if I were you, get that teacher into lots of trouble too :p

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 15:03
this would be the main concern I'm afraid.
It is a great invasion of personal property, and is quite frankly ridiculous. But if you are under-age, and there is evidence that you either are or were planning to have sex, you can get into trouble.

This is why all teachers should be hated!! :mad::ton:

Lol im 17 so sex is fine :p

patriots88888
17-12-08, 15:03
Three of life's lessons and morals come into play here:

1.Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right.
2.The end justifies the means (or not).

and most importantly...

3.Never have your phone out during class, and certainly make sure no one can access your personal messages.

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 15:07
Three of life's lessons and morals come into play here:

1.Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right.
2.The end justifies the means (or not).

and most importantly...

3.Never have your phone out during class, and certainly make sure no one can access your personal messages.

And don't forget 4....

4. Teachers can be :cen:holes at times :o

x2crazyidiot
17-12-08, 15:15
Lol im 17 so sex is fine :p

oh, well in that case.....

SUESUESUE!!! :cen::cen:

:p

just ask your parent to write a letter of complaint to the headteacher. Make sure it's a letter though, because they cannot legally ignore an official writen complaint, but they can ignore an oral complaint. Well, at least in England those rules apply :o

Dark Lugia 2
17-12-08, 16:20
If I read that right, my opinion is that the teacher has no right to shout at you for arranging sex via text messages :p Thats completeley unrelated to school, or atleast I think it is with you... LOl :p

dizzydoil
17-12-08, 16:25
Teachers are not allowed to go through your messages - that's illegal in the part of England I come from. The teacher is pathetic, and had no right at all to go through your messages. I believe you write a letter of formal complaint, with or without a quick pop in from your Parent/Guardian to the school for a Oral complaint. You're old enough to have sex, so I don't see why he said you can get kicked of the school? That's just stupid :).
Teachers suck nowadays, but there is a few awesome ones left. I remember a freakin' perfect teacher at my school, back in the day.

domina
17-12-08, 16:31
I love how so many here just automatically bashes teachers based on the action of one. That kind of attitude really emphasizes the large teenaged population here.

And even in this situation, we're still not presented with the entire context that elicited the confiscation of the cellphone and the subsequent reading of the text messages. Most teachers aren't assholes and they aren't out to just pick on kids--They have way too much other stuff to deal with than to get involved in your personal life.

Tomb Raider Master
17-12-08, 19:28
That's completely messed up. Your mobile phone is your personal belonging, especially the information you share via text messages.

Rai
17-12-08, 19:39
Over here in the UK, mobiles aren't allowed to be used during school hours (in most schools), so your teacher probably had some right to confiscate the phone until the end of the school day. However, there is no way he had the right to look through your personal text messages or tell you off for their contents.

Maybe you should think about putting a PIN code on your phone to stop anyone having access to your texts.

Goose
17-12-08, 20:48
And don't forget 4....

4. Teachers can be :cen:holes at times :o

Bloody hell, i cant believe they did that, its not on at all, and since when is a 17 year old trying to get laid a sin? It shows a healthy interest.

Just put it on silent, get a good short memorable pin lock on it and hide it under the desk if you use it in class. Just ignore what they've done this time, but if they use it as grounds to suspend you then your on the right footing to give them a bollocking for it.

Why dont they just open your mail and have you take all your calls on speaker?

tomblover
17-12-08, 20:54
I say, get a PIN code and turn off your mobile if a teacher is in the mood to take it from you. :)

~Scorpio~
17-12-08, 23:39
If I read that right, my opinion is that the teacher has no right to shout at you for arranging sex via text messages :p Thats completeley unrelated to school, or atleast I think it is with you... LOl :p

The teacher took my phone away and read the messeges, the couslars were the ones that shouted at me :mad:

RockSteady101
17-12-08, 23:52
The teacher took my phone away and read the messeges, the couslars were the ones that shouted at me :mad:

They have NO right, things like this really make me angry.

I got a threat of suspension because 'apparently' I was being sexually harrassing to a fellow classmate - was I ****!

It was a free'ish period in Maths and we were all sitting talking and for no reason a boy in our class started singing something like "I want my hol I want my hol I want my holidays", but because us Scots can't help but speak funny it sounded like 'Hole', not 'hol (hall)' :p. Added to that in Scotland, to say you 'want your hole' is to want to have sex. :D

Anywho, I was litterally LOL'ing at the random outburst and said to a gal-pal of mine beside me "did he just sing he wants his hole?" - what does the sub-teacher we had that day take that as...me asking the girl beside her if she wants her hole - LOVELY! :pi:

So, I got sent out to stand in the hallway and then she came out to give me the awaiting yelling...I did not have a clue what I was out for though and when I asked she thought I was being smart and then came out with the sexual harassment thing and planned to report me, I just burst out laughing and I wasn't even going to explain myself to someone who thinks so low of me that I randomnly go to girls "You there, would you like some sex?" - I just walked into the class, got my bag and shiz, bell went convienently and I was offski as it was the end of the day...never did hear anything more from her.

Moving on...swiftly...I think you should deal with this yourself, I dunno what your 'position' is but I would not get my parents involved if it was me in your shoes - damn teachers have no concept of todays 'times' and what sex is today, you were being asked not asking for sex and I wasn't asking for sex and we both get bloody busted.

Damn education system. :vlol:

viper456
17-12-08, 23:54
They have NO right, things like this really make me angry.

I got a threat of suspension because 'apparently' I was being sexually harrassing to a fellow classmate - was I ****!

It was a free'ish period in Maths and we were all sitting talking and for no reason a boy in our class started singing something like "I want my hol I want my hol I want my holidays", but because us Scots can't help but speak funny it sounded like 'Hole', not 'hol (hall)' :p. Added to that in Scotland, to say you 'want your hole' is to want to have sex. :D

Anywho, I was litterally LOL'ing at the random outburst and said to a gal-pal of mine beside me "did he just sing he wants his hole?" - what does the sub-teacher we had that day take that as...me asking the girl beside her if she wants her hole - LOVELY! :pi:

So, I got sent out to stand in the hallway and then she came out to give me the awaiting yelling...I did not have a clue what I was out for though and when I asked she thought I was being smart and then came out with the sexual harassment thing and planned to report me, I just burst out laughing and I wasn't even going to explain myself to someone who thinks so low of me that I randomnly go to girls "You there, would you like some sex?" - I just walked into the class, got my bag and shiz, bell went convienently and I was offski as it was the end of the day...never did hear anything more from her.

Moving on...swiftly...I think you should deal with this yourself, I dunno what your 'position' is but I would not get my parents involved if it was me in your shoes - damn teachers have no concept of todays 'times' and what sex is today, you were being asked not asking for sex and I wasn't asking for sex and we both get bloody busted.

Damn education system. :vlol:

LMFAO oh dear Jackson. You bring it on yourself tbf.

RockSteady101
17-12-08, 23:58
LMFAO oh dear Jackson. You bring it on yourself tbf.

Like a moth to the flame...darn tootin'. :pi:

jackali
18-12-08, 00:00
"You there, would you like some sex?"

:vlol:

You have no idea how much that made me laugh. The worst thing is that I know people who would actually do that. :p Oh dear.

RockSteady101
18-12-08, 01:11
:vlol:

You have no idea how much that made me laugh. The worst thing is that I know people who would actually do that. :p Oh dear.

LMAO, true I guess. :D

ajrich17901
18-12-08, 01:38
Lol sorry but i laughed real hard reading this, its all your own fault. You shouldnt have had your phone with you in school to begin with thats what a lockers for, and 2 theres a reason they have locks for cell phones. O_o and who sets up booty calls through a text message. No one to blame but yourself

Tomb of Legends
18-12-08, 06:35
Whats wrong with setting up booty calls through text?

I say sue, sue em' good. Or go Ape ****. I would.

~Scorpio~
18-12-08, 17:45
Lol sorry but i laughed real hard reading this, its all your own fault. You shouldnt have had your phone with you in school to begin with thats what a lockers for, and 2 theres a reason they have locks for cell phones. O_o and who sets up booty calls through a text message. No one to blame but yourself

lol theres no lockers in High School:rolleyes:
And shes my girlfriend, and she texted me :)
And we are aloud to have our cells out during lunch, advisory and study hall, so the teacher had no right to take it anyway

mizuno_suisei
18-12-08, 17:54
^^ Oopsies. I accidently clicked the send button then I quickly pressed stop to continue typing, must have posted anyway. Sorry.

Our school rules were that, If your caught using your phone DURING CLASS TIME, The teacher has the right to confiscate your phone, and view whatever was being done. It makes me laugh how they think they legally have a right to view what is being done :vlol: but luckily my school wasnt too bad with that and had some pretty awesome teachers, but some of them were meanies and took them away.

Actually, one thing I remember from earlier this year. My english teacher had a Mac Laptop. Inclass, I sent my friend a photo and at the end of the lesson, he called me back and showed me the photo. I was thinking, how did he get the photo which I sent to my friend's phone. I assumed he must have some sort of bluetooth reciever installed into his laptop. I didnt bother asking why he accepted to recieve the photo, as it wasnt anything bad. So kiddlies, be careful bluetoothing in class :whi: