PDA

View Full Version : Eidos takeover roundup: Take Two also a possible Lara Croft suitor, says analysts

Jin Uzuki
17-12-08, 13:24
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/migdumaual/take2interactive.jpg

As if four suitors weren’t already enough, Lara lures in yet another one as a bidder for takeover. Top financial website Seeking Alpha (http://seekingalpha.com/article/111193-eidos-on-the-market-who-are-potential-buyers) (SA) is saying that “as a wild card,” the Grand Theft Auto series publisher is “worth a bit of consideration” as a potential buyer for Eidos PLC. Aside from the “poetic symmetry” of current Take Two chairman Strauss Zelnick being the former head of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, Take Two (with $338m as of July 31st) can easily acquire the £60m to £80m-tagged Lara Croft publisher, if affordability issues were a concern.

On the subject of the earlier reported potential buyers for Eidos, SA puts it this way:

Warner Brothers Entertainment is the far and away front runner. The possibility of a takeover is there, but there's no guarantee. "WBE could simply be accumulating enough of a position to ensure it has the power to block out another buyer should one come along."
Electronic Arts' previous endeavor of buying out Take Two reveals that the company has more than enough money to acquire Eidos entirely. EA being the mobile games publishing arm of Eidos would also make further negotiations smoother; "once dating, a marriage is an easier prospect."
Ubisoft's portfolio of recent acquisitions would indicate that another takeover deal (this time, Eidos) would seem entirely possible. However, Ubisoft's net cash position (€72.3m as of Sept 30th) would not be enough to acquire Eidos. "A Ubisoft buyout of Eidos would have to be either a stock-based deal, debt driven, or be structured as some form of hybrid."
Square Enix's thrust to expand West-ward through acquiring established hit franchises or high end studios could prove to be an unlikely feat. "Given WBE’s relationship as Eidos’ distributor in North America, it doesn’t seem likely. Nor does the prospect of Eidos selling off just one brand or studio property."
Needless to say, nothing has yet to be set in stone, but SA calls it that the next six months may very well see the day Lara Croft gets a new daddy.

Fingers crossed? Most definitely.

tranniversary119
17-12-08, 14:40
What's next? Atari :wve: I still want Ubisoft to take over they'd do the series some good. But Grand Theft Auto publisher? Come on now! That's ridiculous. I can see it now Grand Theft Raider :(

Carbonek_0051
17-12-08, 14:42
My god....

*crosses fingers for WB or Ubisoft*

Legend of Lara
17-12-08, 14:42
Take Two? Seriously? o_O

I'm still hoping for Squeenix. >_<

dream raider
17-12-08, 14:52
Am I the only who sees a brighter future for tomb raider with Take Two?

They obviously know great gameplay, graphics, animations, story, and there are hardly any technical issues in their games if I'm correct??

I'm positive they can make an excellent tomb raider game! :tmb:

Take Two chairman Strauss Zelnick being the former head of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics

Yay! :D

Jin Uzuki
17-12-08, 14:54
I don't see why these publishers should be judged based on what genre of games they release. T2 getting Tomb Raider doesn't mean that Lara will be in Liberty City. Square Enix getting Tomb Raider doesn't mean Lara will have a turn-based battle system to fight off jaguars in Mexico. I think these potential buyers should be judged based on how they handle their franchises, if they give importance to the development time needed to make the game a truly great experience. GTA IV's popularity reflects the amount of time given to polish the game. Surely, the Fabula Nova Crytallis games from Square Enix is a testament to how the publisher treats their games. That's actually all I want for TR. That the franchise be given the treatment it deserves.

b0bb13
OMG!Take Two FTW!:jmp:

Janice the Slut: Ghetto Raider :yah::cln::pi::whi:

tranniversary119
Am I the only who sees a brighter future for tomb raider with Take Two?

They obviously know great gameplay, graphics, animations, story, and there are hardly any technical issues in their games if I'm correct??

I'm positive they can make an excellent tomb raider game! :tmb:

But it's not them making the game it's the developers that are working for them. Let's see some of the games they've worked on,
Take-Two has developed and published many notable games, including the Grand Theft Auto series, the Serious Sam shooter series, controversial games Manhunt and Manhunt 2 and most recently BioShock. It owns 2K Games, formerly Visual Concepts prior to its purchase from Sega, and publishes its popular 2K Sports titles.
No thanks :wve:
I don't see why these publishers should be judged based on what genre of games they release. T2 getting Tomb Raider doesn't mean that Lara will be in Liberty City. Square Enix getting Tomb Raider doesn't mean Lara will have a turn-based battle system to fight off jaguars in Mexico. I think these potential buyers should be judged based on how they handle their franchises, if they give importance to the development time needed to make the game a truly great experience. GTA IV's popularity reflects the amount of time given to polish the game. Surely, the Fabula Nova Crytallis games from Square Enix is a testament to how the publisher treats their games. That's actually all I want for TR. That the franchise be given the treatment it deserves.
True, but I'd rather have somebody like Ubisoft who have worked on games like Tomb Raider before..I'm not expecting Ghetto Raider but I doubt it will be a good thing.

dizzydoil
17-12-08, 14:55
Take Two?! LOL. It would be .. different :p.

Agent 47
17-12-08, 15:01

i'm going to quote this post because i agree with it, plus it's very sensible and not in the least knee jerk fanboyism :D

common sense prevails :jmp:

Godlikesweeper
17-12-08, 15:02
Well,it probably can't be worse that it is right now,so yeah,I think I too see a bright future with someone who isn't in love with M$'s money yet.:)

Draco
17-12-08, 15:06
If going with T2 means more vehicles for Lara, then by all means go right ahead.

VonCroy360
17-12-08, 15:07
I'm not a big fan of their games, but judging by the recent popularity and critics' reviews of GTA and 2K's BioShock, they must be doing something right. :tmb:

dream raider
17-12-08, 15:08
But it's not them making the game it's the developers that are working for them.

Crystal Dynamics...?

Jin Uzuki
17-12-08, 15:09
True, but I'd rather have somebody like Ubisoft who have worked on games like Tomb Raider before..I'm not expecting Ghetto Raider but I doubt it will be a good thing.
Ubisoft the publisher is different from the Ubisoft developer. If you referring to Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia as the games like Tomb Raider, then Ubisoft Montreal developed those games. The Ubisoft in question here is the publisher, not the developer. If we're going to say that Ubisoft is the better publisher for Tomb Raider, we shouldn't argue based on the likeness of the games they've released to TR, but rather on the quality that has been produced out of their strategies for handling their franchises as a publisher.

Well,it probably can't be worse that it is right now,so yeah,I think I too see a bright future with someone who isn't in love with M$'s money yet.:)
Well, for arguments' sake, Take Two is also "in love with M$'s money". The 360-exclusive DLC from Grand Theft Auto IV is already underway.

Megalith
17-12-08, 15:14
Needless to say, nothing has yet to be set in stone, but SA calls it that the next six months may very well see the day Lara Croft gets a new daddy.

I'm so curious to see the outcome of this whole thing...
Those six months will feel like six years.:(

Jack Croft
17-12-08, 15:18
Ubisoft! Ubisoft! Ubisoft!

dream raider
17-12-08, 15:19
There's not going to be a change of developer, right? Just a different publisher, to replace Eidos or merge with them?

b0bb13
17-12-08, 15:23
There's not going to be a change of developer, right? Just a different publisher, to replace Eidos or merge with them?

That's what I'm hoping for.I love CD to death!:(

interstellardave
17-12-08, 15:23
ANY Publisher will do, just so long as they allow the developer (Crystal or otherwise) to take their time to make the game...

EIDOS is not in love with Microsofts' money, they are in love with anyones' money; people that think otherwise see conspiracy where there is none. EIDOS is in a position where they have to take what they can get--that's why there's talk of a buyout in the first place--and that also makes them force Crystal to release the games in an obviously rushed manner.

Any good Publisher that doesn't need Tomb Raider to be it's sole cash-cow could help the series, just so long as the developer of the game itself knows what it's doing. I think Crystal has been onto something with Tomb Raider but just isn't working under ideal conditions to make it happen.

Godlikesweeper
17-12-08, 15:24
Well, for arguments' sake, Take Two is also "in love with M$'s money". The 360-exclusive DLC from Grand Theft Auto IV is already underway.

Yeah?I didn't know that.Well,then no.Who else is there?Ubisoft?I think they are fine,right?

ANY Publisher will do, just so long as they allow the developer (Crystal or otherwise) to take their time to make the game...

EIDOS is not in love with Microsofts' money, they are in love with anyones' money; people that think otherwise see conspiracy where there is none. EIDOS is in a position where they have to take what they can get--that's why there's talk of a buyout in the first place--and that also makes them force Crystal to release the games in an obviously rushed manner.

Any good Publisher that doesn't need Tomb Raider to be it's sole cash-cow could help the series, just so long as the developer of the game itself knows what it's doing. I think Crystal has been on to something with Tomb Raider but just isn't working under ideal conditions to make it happen.

Yes,you are right!If Eido$ didn't rush them in the first place,and we got everything in the vanlia game,then there wouldn't be any problem with the dlc for me.Yup,you are 100% right!:tmb:

Jin Uzuki
17-12-08, 15:27
If and when a new publisher wholly acquires the Tomb Raider IP and the developers owned by Eidos (CD being one of them), it's up to the publisher whether they will still hand the development responsibilities to CD or to another developer under them.

Any good Publisher that doesn't need Tomb Raider to be it's sole cash-cow could help the series, just so long as the developer of the game itself knows what it's doing. I think Crystal has been on to something with Tomb Raider but just isn't working under ideal conditions to make it happen.
Seriously couldn't have said it better.

MattTR
Wow, this is really getting serious, a lot of people want their hands on some Lara Croft. :cool:

dream raider
That's what I'm hoping for.I love CD to death!:(

Yes! Me too! :hug: :D If they want to bring other members from another developer team to work with Crystal Dynamics I'm fine with that but don't replace them!!

If and when a new publisher wholly acquires the Tomb Raider IP and the developers owned by Eidos (CD being one of them), it's up to the publisher whether they will still hand the development responsibilities to CD or to another developer under them.

OK thank you very much for the clarification Jin! :)

Jin Uzuki
17-12-08, 15:47
Yeah?I didn't know that.Well,then no.Who else is there?Ubisoft?I think they are fine,right?
Yes, I think they're completely "fine". Fine as publishers and perhaps "fine" - by your definition - because they don't seem to have had any 360 deals so far. Problem is, according to SA, Ubisoft may not have the money to completely acquire Eidos, so that's a pity.

da tomb raider!
17-12-08, 15:50
Come on, EA, buy Eidos already.

krycekuva
17-12-08, 15:51
i go for ubisoft... i definitelly love the way ubisoft works with PoP...

i just hope we get all the attention from the next buyer as we do/did with eidos..

Godlikesweeper
17-12-08, 15:51
Yes, I think they're completely "fine". Fine as publishers and perhaps "fine" - by your definition - because they don't seem to have had any 360 deals so far. Problem is, according to SA, Ubisoft may not have the money to completely acquire Eidos, so that's a pity.

:(

Well you know,after this rushing,and dlc deal,my standards aren't really high.Anything else is 'fine' to me.:)

But,too bad.hope someone else will be interested.Lara deserves better,we all know it!:D

Bu really,did you notice the anger that is raised between the members of this forum after the dlc news?Jezz...fanboy this,fanboy that.And then, I get upset and start talking the same things...:(

sad,really sad.Like I said,anything is better that this...:(

amiro1989
17-12-08, 16:28
Depuis le début du mois, il semble que l'éditeur britannique Eidos aiguise de nouveaux les appétits de plus gros que lui. D'après diverses rumeurs, des sociétés comme Electronic Arts, Square Enix ou le Français Ubisoft seraient ainsi intéressées par le possesseur de la fameuse licence Tomb Raider, mais rien de bien concret n'a pour l'heure été dévoilé.

Du côté de Warner Bros. en revanche, les choses s'accélèrent. Déjà détenteur de 16 % des actions d'Eidos, l'éditeur américain a tout simplement fait l'acquisition de 10 millions d'actions supplémentaires passant à un peu moins de 20 % du capital. Notamment révélée par nos confrères de MCV, l'opération aurait coûté un peu moins de deux millions d'euros, mais relance surtout la lutte entre les différents prétendants... Les paris sont donc ouverts !
http://www.clubic.com/actualite-246158-warner-detient-environ-20-eidos.html
Warner Bros bought 10 millions of share of Eidos, yesterday.

Seb_01225
17-12-08, 16:45
Go Square-Enix :)

Fallen.Angel
17-12-08, 17:33
Woww... xD This is getting juicy. Nah, but at this point I think they're all good candidates. So for me, it's a win-win situation, whomever comes out the victor.

rowanlim
17-12-08, 18:01
Wait, sorry, I feel silly for saying this, but does it mean someone's gonna push Eidos' fingers away from Lara?

Godlikesweeper
17-12-08, 18:09
Wait, sorry, I feel silly for saying this, but does it mean someone's gonna push Eidos' fingers away from Lara?

Yes,if we are lucky...:)

rowanlim
17-12-08, 18:10
Yes,if we are lucky...:)

Oh I see...Well whatever the result, I hope Lara will only get better & better! :tmb: :)

Laras man
17-12-08, 18:21
Warner Brothers Entertainment to take. Eidos will not rush then. Will they now.

Mona Sax
17-12-08, 19:07
I don't think Take 2 would be that bad - sure, their games are very different - but they're also unique. They give their developers enough time to polish their games, and they're not afraid to go in directions people don't expect them to... sometimes in very controversial territory. IMO TR's been streamlined too much, a bit more of an edge would be good.

PandaINC
17-12-08, 19:54
Well whatever the result, I hope Lara will only get better & better! :tmb: :)

this.

ben croft
17-12-08, 21:14
EA or Ubisoft.
:D

*laralover*
17-12-08, 21:29
I still say Ubisoft but i dont know anymore lol

Eddie Haskell
17-12-08, 21:38
No game company can top Bethesda, so I'd hope for ZeniMax Media.

IceColdLaraCroft
17-12-08, 21:59
If the same people that make GTA get TR it'll end up

WHERE *BANG* IS *BANG* MY *BANG* MONEY! *BANG*

KC Mraz
17-12-08, 22:10
Take Two? o.O

I'm still on Warner's side thankyouverymuch.

EmeraldFields
18-12-08, 00:30
I wouldn't mind if Take Two took over. Still hoping for Ubisoft, however.

ajrich17901
18-12-08, 00:36
I dont care who gets the game as long as its finaly out of eidos's hands. Im sick of gettin medicore TR games.