PDA

View Full Version : "Adolf Hitler" cake request denied

Geck-o-Lizard
17-12-08, 17:35
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake

Why you would name your child "Adolf Hitler" is anyone's guess. Let's not forget the bullying the kid is guaranteed to get when he hits school age. :confused:

EASTON, Pa. A supermarket is defending itself for refusing to a write out 3-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell's name on his birthday cake.

Deborah Campbell, 25, of nearby Hunterdon County, N.J., said she phoned in her order last week to the Greenwich ShopRite. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a ShopRite spokeswoman, said the store denied similar requests from the Campbells the last two years, including a request for a swastika.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

The Campbells ultimately got their cake decorated at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said Tuesday.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Anna Taylor told The Easton Express-Times that the store won't put anything illegal or profane on a cake but thinks it's important to respect the views of customers and employees.

"Our No. 1 priority in decorating cakes is to serve the customer to the best of our ability," Taylor said from Bentonville, Ark.

When reached by The Associated Press, Taylor said she'd call back to provide a comment.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name."

The Campbells' two other children are named JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, who turns 2 in a few months, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, who will be 1 in April.

Campbell said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

He said about 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children of mixed race.

-DaNnEe..
17-12-08, 17:37
I'm guessing they are a fan. Lmao.

Lenochka
lmao, why on earth would anyone want to name there child after one of the most hated people in history? xD

Mad Tony
His parents must hate him... a lot. Poor kid.

Love2Raid
17-12-08, 17:41
This is sooooooooo sad................

I feel bad for the kid. Stupid parents! :rolleyes:

I agree with Karen Meleta, this is totally inappropriate.

TRhalloween
17-12-08, 17:47
Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name

He liked it? They obviously aren't quite right.
and because "no one else in the world would have that name."

So it's just a big coincidence that he's never heard of the dictator, I guess.

Neteru
17-12-08, 17:51
I don't think anybody is paying attention. Read the story. They previously requested a swastika. It's a fair bet they're neo-nazis. Note also the names of the other children!

interstellardave
17-12-08, 17:53
I guess I now know not to go to ShopRite for that Pol Pot cake I was planning on getting... :cln:

Neteru
17-12-08, 18:01
^ :vlol: What a giggle!

tomblover
17-12-08, 18:09
o_O

That's all I have to say. o_O

jamieoliver22
17-12-08, 18:12
It's a fair bet they're neo-nazis. Note also the names of the other children!

Indeed...

The Campbells' two other children are named JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, who turns 2 in a few months, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, who will be 1 in April.

[Re]joice in [the] Aryan Nation..?

Something isn't right with them somewhere...

bivvy
17-12-08, 18:15
Poor kid, imagine trying to make a new friend;

Adolf: Hello, my name is Adolf Hitler!
Kid: *backs away slowly*

Hanny
17-12-08, 18:16

:vlol:

Shrantellatessa
17-12-08, 20:33
I'm sure that the kid (and his bro/sis) will change their names later if they develop a different mentality than their dad/parents.

tomkat
18-12-08, 09:22
Thats unfortunate
The dad says he wouldn't mind his kids making their own choices ("having black friends"), yet he kickstarts the poor boy's life in the wrong direction.

Why not call your child "Robert Mugabe", "Idi Amin" or "Fidel Castro" if you love dictators so much? Those aren't very popular in the baby naming stakes either.

Instead of giving this child the freedom to make his own statements and start with a blank slate he's already tattooed for life. Thats just sad.

disneyprincess20
18-12-08, 09:28
They've requested cakes from this place for the past two years and been denied... Why continue to shop somewhere that won't serve you? Also, why make it a news story. They're neo-nazis: I didn't realise the Aryan Master Race was so interested in cake....

Lara's Backpack
18-12-08, 09:28
:vlol:

EscondeR
18-12-08, 09:29

In connection to this i can imagine the scene:

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

Poor kid indeed. Those parents must be put into a madhouse :mad: (*note to self: santa's cap is not for this smiley for sure*)

If you wan a unique name for your kid - call him "Dracula" :p

Neteru
18-12-08, 09:32
I have to say, this really is no different to parents perhaps naming their child after a certain pop star or actor, or even giving them names such as Joshua, Matthew, Oscar, Elizabeth or such like. Whichever way you view it, naming a child is so often about imposing a certain belief on that child.

Logie 12 =]
18-12-08, 09:41
O.O who the hell would call there children that!

Rivendell
18-12-08, 09:42
He wouldn't have lasted long around Tom Cruise (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a138778/tom-cruise-i-wanted-to-kill-hitler.html)..

rowanlim
18-12-08, 09:44
I think people should think deeply before they give names to their kids :pi:

Quasimodo
18-12-08, 09:48
I think people should think deeply before they give names to their kids :pi:

Doesn't Germany have policies that keep people from giving their children oddball names? Maybe it's not such a bad idea...

Voni
18-12-08, 09:48
I think parents should be able to put their ideas for baby names to a committee of some kind, then ridiculous names like this can be shot down before some poor child is branded with them!

And that family are TOTALLY neo nazis. What pleasant people.

rowanlim
18-12-08, 09:52
Doesn't Germany have policies that keep people from giving their children oddball names? Maybe it's not such a bad idea...

No idea haha :p

But yeah it couldn't hurt; names have power, given or taken.

disneyprincess20
18-12-08, 09:53
^^ I know the Belgians (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/renault_megane/) get funny about what you can name your child. There's also the poor child Talula (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/24/talula_ruling/).

touchthesky
18-12-08, 11:01
I dont get it.

Weren't people just told not long ago that they couldn't name their kid Metallica?

Surely that's a bit better than Adolf Hitler!

rowanlim
18-12-08, 12:06
Is there really laws providing guidelines for naming children? I never heard of that before.

disneyprincess20
18-12-08, 12:17
^^ In some countries, not all.

Paddy
18-12-08, 12:35
Thats just cruel, that poor kids gonna get bullied like you wouldnt believe.
Naming kids those sorts of stuff is cruel.

ajrich17901
18-12-08, 12:51
Good god well at least the kid wasnt named sephiroth lmao

Paddy
18-12-08, 12:54
That cant be any worse?
That kids gonna cop it big time.
His parents wouldnt have done it to do harm but they should consider a serious name change.

Legend of Lara
18-12-08, 13:30

Only Sephy was a fictional madman. ;)

mizuno_suisei
18-12-08, 14:03
I do feel sorry for the kid, but its still stupid that the store didnt do it. Its a name, so what. They're discriminating against his name.. Obama got elected for president with the middlename Hussein, who was a big terrorist. Stupid store and stupid parents.

Forwen
18-12-08, 15:39

Kuja would be much more embarrassing imo.

Jack Croft
18-12-08, 15:46
Poor Kid.

Bet parents dont have a good reason for it either.

Sir Croft
18-12-08, 15:50

That's his choice? So his parents wouldn't like him to hang out with afro-descendants?
They're clearly neo-nazists, requesting a swastika cake is more then proof. Last time I checked, any reproduction of swastikas or nazism was crime. It surprises me that they managed to register the kid with that name.

tranniversary119
18-12-08, 15:52

:vlol:! That made me laugh :) I have no words for this besides have fun in middle+high school kid ;)

interstellardave
18-12-08, 16:37
Last time I checked, any reproduction of swastikas or nazism was crime. It surprises me that they managed to register the kid with that name.

I don't know if you checked US law, but it's not a crime--nor should it be, btw. Ideas, however cracked, are not crimes, and the swastika is far more ancient than 1930's-40's Germany. Throughout history it has been a sacred and positive symbol for many cultures and millions of people.

Mr.Burns
18-12-08, 16:42
I don't know if you checked US law, but it's not a crime--nor should it be, btw. Ideas, however cracked, are not crimes, and the swastika is far more ancient than 1930's-40's Germany. Throughout history it has been a sacred and positive symbol for many cultures and millions of people.

Not to mention that enacting such a ban would be an infringement on our right to free speech.

disneyprincess20
18-12-08, 16:48
I think it's a crime in Germany to display those symbols (could be wrong) be definately not in the USA. Could be where the confusion is coming from. :)